• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

raindoc

Was watching the story trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W01L70IGBgE

I noticed two moments from the trailer that are not in the game

@ 1:10 - There are no enemies in that room in the finished game
@ 1:14 - Pretty sure there was no infected moment like that or that the infected even feed on corpses
@ 1:15 - No enemies in that area

not sure about that particular moment, but you're so wrong on the infected not feeding on corpses. there's at least 3 infected feeding on humans during the outbreak scene. during the first encounter with infected (during actual gameplay), 2 of the 3 runners are chewing at someone... pretty sure there's more, like the scene from the vid, but these i remember very clearly.

GregHorrorShow

Neo Member
not sure about that particular moment, but you're so wrong on the infected not feeding on corpses. like, 2 out of the first 3 runners during the 1st encounter with the infected in the game are chewing at someone.

Yeah I definitely saw a runner eating a corpse in the subway section. Easy to miss though as it was in the dark and you had an alternate route on the other side you could take.

Vitanimus

Finished the game and it was AMAZING, although I kinda feel bad that I rushed the ending. I kept on checking my completion percentage and once I got to ~90% I felt obligated to finish the game despite being super tired from playing so long haha. Really amazing game, game of the generation for me. Highly anticipating Naughty Dog's PS4 project!

Time to try the online!

This game forced me to buy Pulse headset

sony-pulse-wireless-stereo-headset.jpg

Surround sound problem solved.

Made me do the same thing, but I can't get used to having those big headphones on my head while playing a game. I'm returning the device.

It did convince me to get a surround sound system though.

IronRinn

Decided to try a Survivor run, using the glitch to start on Survivor+. Don't know if I'll finish it, but the friendly AI is showing itself to be a real pain in the ass on this difficulty. Got to the
first subway station part in the downtown area
and tried taking out the Runner
by the safe
with a brick/melee combo, but as soon as I do Tess starts shooting, alerting all the Clickers. Can't sneak up behind the Runner, so no stealth kill opportunity. Any advice? Should I just skip trying to get it?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Decided to try a Survivor run, using the glitch to start on Survivor+. Don't know if I'll finish it, but the friendly AI is showing itself to be a real pain in the ass on this difficulty. Got to the
by the safe
with a brick/melee combo, but as soon as I do Tess starts shooting, alerting all the Clickers. Can't sneak up behind the Runner, so no stealth kill opportunity. Any advice? Should I just skip trying to get it?
If you're on Survivor+ don't you have the bow?
Just made it to the part where you give Ellie *Spoilers for the 35% completion mark in the game*
a rifle and you ask her to cover your ass while you take care of some hunters below
. Wow. This game....I had to put it down because I had to get up in the morning but this game is sooooo good. The graphics run the gamut from great to okay, but maybe that's just because E3 and next gen visuals spoiled me. Still, this might be my game of the generation. So looking forward to what ND does with next gen hardware.
That was actually the moment where I went from merely thinking the characters were portrayed well to actually caring about them.

KorrZ

by the safe

Use your brick to make noise and cause the runner to move away from the safe, quickly run over grab the safe and jump back over the counter out of there. You can optionally try and stealth kill the runner when it moves away.

zma1013

by the safe

I'm pretty sure throwing a brick and then trying to run up and melee a Runner or any of the infected will immediately alert any nearby infected because of the sound it makes and the fact that the infected you just hit has seen you. Tess is only shooting because you've already blown your cover with the brick/melee combo. Instead, use the brick to distract them and then sneak behind them.

IronRinn

If you're on Survivor+ don't you have the bow?

Because at that point you haven't re-found the bow yet.

Consensus seems to be that I am at fault here. I figured the brick/melee was pretty silent but seems I am wrong. Will try luring it away which, funny enough, I was worried would alert too many enemies. Some backwards thinking on my part I guess. Thanks all.

Silky

Banned
Made it to
The Hydroelectric Dam.
After a while, I'm not really liking Ellie's dialogue outside of cutscenes. All of this "HOLY SHIT" and "MOTHERFUCKER" really puts me off considering the general theme of the game. But, overall she's groovy.

Sam and Henry fucking destroyed me.

chadboban

Loving my with time with this game so far (at around 61% complete right now). ND has truly accomplished something great here. Haven't had time to read through the thread but has anyone else had some graphical glitches happen throughout the game, I've had a few

Here's my latest, sorry in advance for the godawful off-screen camera phone picture

these white squares just randomly appeared, I even tested it out. The squares would disappear once I moved from that particular spot, I could walk around the entire room and not experience anymore visual glitches but if i returned to that very spot this would continue to happen.

I've also had instances before where (in the hotel area from the E3 demo) entire rooms would load in and out if I just rotated the camera a bit. Had a couple of more instances of these things happening as well, nothing too bad to ruin the game for me though. Just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced these things or if there is something wrong with my PS3.

zma1013

Because at that point you haven't re-found the bow yet.

Consensus seems to be that I am at fault here. I figured the brick/melee was pretty silent but seems I am wrong. Will try luring it away which, funny enough, I was worried would alert too many enemies. Some backwards thinking on my part I guess. Thanks all.

Well you're right in that throwing a brick on the ground will alert the infected, but not to your own presence. As far as they know, something made a sound and they will go to that spot and look around for what made that sound but they won't actually know where you are.

If you hit the guy with the brick and run up and punch him, he sees you and essentially tells all the others that you are there and they all come after you.

zma1013

Made it to
The Hydroelectric Dam.
After a while, I'm not really liking Ellie's dialogue outside of cutscenes. All of this "HOLY SHIT" and "MOTHERFUCKER" really puts me off considering the general theme of the game. But, overall she's groovy.

Sam and Henry fucking destroyed me.

I dunno, seems like pretty authentic language to me especially with some of the things I've heard kids say today even a non-post apocalyptic setting. Seeing Joel smash a guy's head in with a pipe is perfectly deserving of a "Holy Shit Joel" remark.

ascii42

I dunno, seems like pretty authentic language to me especially with some of the things I've heard kids say today even a non-post apocalyptic setting. Seeing Joel smash a guy's head in with a pipe is perfectly deserving of a "Holy Shit Joel" remark.

I'd say she should probably get used to it over time, but that seems like an awful thing to say.

Mononoke

Banned
I've noticed a handful of glitches in this game. More than a couple times, I've seen enemies get stuck in a crouching animation. Just over and over they keep crouching. Well, I've only seen this like 4 times now. The other really weird one was
, me and Ellie were on a horse at the university, then out of no where the entire screen went grey and we dropped below the level. After moving around a bit we finally got dropped back into the game, but we were on this mini island in the middle of the quad and couldn't get down.
Had to reload my game.

I personally loved her dialogue. Seems to me like something a 14 year old would say, given the times they are living in.

Sigh. Since beating TLOU, I have had a really hard time focusing on another game or having the motivation to play something new. This happened to me after I beat Bioshock Infinite as well. Nothing else looks anywhere near as interesting or good right now. :(

khaaan

I'd say it isn't so much of the authenticity but that by the end I'd heard her repeat the same handful of reactions a number of times. Not as bad as other games, and it wasn't something that I found annoying but it was noticeable.

Andrew.

Banned

@ 1:14 - Pretty sure there was no infected moment like that or that the infected even feed on corpses

Pretty surprsing for someone as balls deep in this game as you are, you completely forgot the fact that two infected can be seen munching down on a corpse during your first encouonter with them after you get your backpack.

raindoc

by the safe

i'm 99% positive that i stealth killed that runner. i found that "triangle" (grab) works not only from behind also from the sides, almost to the front.

Sigh. Since beating TLOU, I have had a really hard time focusing on another game or having the motivation to play something new. This happened to me after I beat Bioshock Infinite as well. Nothing else looks anywhere near as interesting or good right now. :(

:)

to be honest, as pissed as i somewhat am about the delay in getting my copy of muramasa, there's a part of me that still can't get too excited about playing something else right now (& i finished this 3 days ago :) ). but really exceptional games always fuck me up this way (the worst still being a toss-up between shadow of the colossus & demon's souls)...

Buntabox

I started a clean slate new game on Survivor and it's been entirely worth it. It's nice that I can use my surround sound headset (simulated) to actually listen for enemies. It's not dead on accurate, but it makes for a good step up after Hard.

(Late game spoiler)
The David boss fight is so damn intense on Survivor. Once he starts sneaking around, it's terrifying without Listen Mode.

sappyday

I find it funny many thought that
at the end of that video Ellie was gonna kill Joe because he got infected and everyone was all like "Did Naughty Dog just ruin the ending?!?!"

Pretty surprsing for someone as balls deep in this game as you are, you completely forgot the fact that two infected can be seen munching down on a corpse during your first encouonter with them after you get your backpack.
"Balls deep"? That's one way to put it.
Yeah forgot about that moment

So, is the consensus that a second playthrough is still satisfying, even if you know how the story plays out? I almost never play games a second time, but I don’t feel finished with this one.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So I'm pretty puzzled, I figured that New Game Plus allowed you to keep your weapons from previous playthroughs? What is the point of the Survivor+ glitch if this is not the case?

daoster

So last night I finally saw the
Giraffes
. Sooooo good, and that was probably one of the prettiest moment of the game.

Spoilers for
Winter:

That encounter with David almost felt like a "final boss" battle, and I kinda expected the game to end right after that, and then I check my save file, and see that I'm only 89% done!

Was David a really an aged Nathan Drake, responding to all the criticisms that he's a mass murderer in the Uncharted games?

How many more hours till the end?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So I'm pretty puzzled, I figured that New Game Plus allowed you to keep your weapons from previous playthroughs? What is the point of the Survivor+ glitch if this is not the case?

You keep all of your upgrades... but you must reacquire all the weapons in the natural order. But they will already be upgraded when you pick them up.

Andrew.

Banned
You keep all of your upgrades... but you must reacquire all the weapons in the natural order. But they will already be upgraded when you pick them up.

It should be noted that with the exploit/glitch, what you carry over is what you had upgraded weaponwise and skillwise after your FIRST playthrough. Now I finished the game twice before doing the glitch (Hard and then Hard+) and what carried over were all of my upgrades from my original initial run.

Remf

Man, I'm REALLY loving this game. I've already clocked in over 19 hours and I still have ways to go (can't remember how to spoiler tag so I won't mention where I'm at right now). Also, I'm a collector hound so I'm always looking in every nook and cranny. The art style (can't stop looking around admiring the landscape) and acting are top notch and this is one of those rare games where my wife is actually interested in watching it, which says a lot. Yes, there are some graphic hiccups here and there, but in no way does it detract from the overall experience and it doesn't happen too often. Just ask yourself this, what game doesn't have a few hiccups here and there? The partner AI can do some funky stuff from time to time, but they've gotten me out of a lot of trouble when things gone down that I wasn't ready for and they don't alert the enemies if they are out in the open which was a smart move on ND's part. One word of advise, take your time and enjoy every minute of it because I don't see another game like this coming around for a LONG TIME.

khaaan

FUCKING CHRIST.

JOEL JUST TOOK A FUCKING PIPE TO THE STOMACH.

I CAN'T KEEP GOING. MAKE IT STOP

At the end of Autumn? If you're just about to start Winter you're in for a treat, that entire season is my favorite part of the game.

I feel stupid asking this question but....if I've initiated a grab and am currently holding them, can I let go of the triangle button?

Remf

At the end of Autumn? If you're just about to start Winter you're in for a treat, that entire season is my favorite part of the game.

I feel stupid asking this question but....if I've initiated a grab and am currently holding them, can I let go of the triangle button?

yes

Dakota47

One word of advise, take your time and enjoy every minute of it because I don't see another game like this coming around for a LONG TIME.

That actually makes me kinda sad. I'll be finishing it tonight, after having spent about a week with it.

I know I shouldn't bring up reviews and they are just the bane of this industries existence. But that guy gave the game a 6/10 dropping the score on metacritic. How are these people allowed to influence this stuff? He gave the Driver game a higher-score... ok! I'm done. I don't care!

And I played Resident Evil Revelations, both reviewers that gave TLOU a low score gave it a higher score. I couldn't get through it because I was laughing so much... you really got to play that to realize how incredible ND is.

I know the feel man, we were all there at one point. It'll get better and then you'll just start to think about how awesome of an experience it was! Then accept it.

No, you'll get that one later.

Cheers

Something that doesn't get enough praise imo is the UI. Every piece of info you could need is available at a glance

Currently (58%)
trying to sneak up on a sniper with Kenny, Ellie and Sam hiding at the back.

Is it possible to do that without being spotted and having to face the gang?

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
So considering ammo is sparse in this game, does anyone actually do things MGS2 style, like shooting bottles, TVs, windows, frying pans, plushies - stuff like that? Just wondered how detailed those things are designed.

I shot a fire extinguisher once,
had the same effect as a smoke bomb. Hunters sure keep their safety standards in check.

IronRinn

i'm 99% positive that i stealth killed that runner. i found that "triangle" (grab) works not only from behind also from the sides, almost to the front.

I'll give it a shot, but I tried a few times from various angles and each time it just attacked me. Kind of have to guess, as there are no grab indicators on Survivor.

How far along am I? 69%

Chapter
go big horns, in the dorms just got to the area where you drop down into the spores with all te clickers. I feel like I'm near the end.

Top Bottom