• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

zma1013

At the end of Autumn? If you're just about to start Winter you're in for a treat, that entire season is my favorite part of the game.

I feel stupid asking this question but....if I've initiated a grab and am currently holding them, can I let go of the triangle button?

Yeah, all you gotta do is just tap A and your guy automatically hold the enemy in a choke hold. No need to hold the button down.

Cheers

Something that doesn't get enough praise imo is the UI. Every piece of info you could need is available at a glance

Currently (58%)
trying to sneak up on a sniper with Kenny, Ellie and Sam hiding at the back.

Is it possible to do that without being spotted and having to face the gang?

I don't think so, seems that there are certain points where the enemies and sniper are pre-determined to know your location. Could be wrong but that's what it seemed like, either that or the area is just designed in a way that makes it incredibly difficult to sneak without being seen.

So considering ammo is sparse in this game, does anyone actually do things MGS2 style, like shooting bottles, TVs, windows, frying pans, plushies - stuff like that? Just wondered how detailed those things are designed.

I shot a fire extinguisher once,
had the same effect as a smoke bomb. Hunters sure keep their safety standards in check.

There's not much interactivity from the environment. It's mostly static objects with the exception of certain cloth-like items like curtains and other hanging stuff.

Currently at 92% completion. absolutely love it.

feels like a really weird but great combination of
Uncharted
Heavy Rain
Red Dead Redemption
and even a little Spec Ops: The Line

raindoc

How far along am I? 69%

Chapter
go big horns, in the dorms just got to the area where you drop down into the spores with all te clickers. I feel like I'm near the end.

???

your're at 69%. collectibles and stuff don't count. complete the campaign = 100%. complete 69% of it = 69%

I'll give it a shot, but I tried a few times from various angles and each time it just attacked me. Kind of have to guess, as there are no grab indicators on Survivor.

maybe you're moving in too close to grab 'em? mesh the button while slowly moving towards him (also works wonders while lurking behind a corner, waiting for stalkers to pass by).

Currently (58%)

don't think so.
everytime you enter a house, guards are alarmed. if you reach the "square" in front of the sniper's nest, guards are alarmed. you can only sneak up as far as that, throw a smoke grenade and make a run for it to avoid combat.

IronRinn

Guys where can i get an explanation of what New Game Plus gives me?

You retain all upgrades applied to weapons, all upgrades applied to Joel, and all training manuals. Once you pick up the first supplements it carries over the amount that you ended the first playthough with. It also remembers what artifacts, comics, and Firefly pendants you have found.

Edit: I'm slow today.

Edit the Second: Second guessing myself on the supplements now. You may be able to use them before finding them for the first time.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'll give it a shot, but I tried a few times from various angles and each time it just attacked me. Kind of have to guess, as there are no grab indicators on Survivor.

Any infected (unless hunched over and stationary) will spin on you if you linger too long behind them. You must get on triangle as soon as possible to avoid them turning... so don't linger behind them trying to be "perfectly" quiet.

This isn't like splinter cell grabs. You have to close the distance quietly, but as soon as you're in range to grab (even 3 - 5 feet away!) you have to. The window for it (from when you cross the threshold and when they turn) is quite small in my experience.

Winter spoilers/observation -
Anyone else just absolutely love how brutal and authentic seeming Ellie's sneak kill attack is? I could do that shit all day - plus the blood splatter in the snowy environment is fantastic.

Winter spoilers/observation -
Anyone else just absolutely love how brutal and authentic seeming Ellie's sneak kill attack is? I could do that shit all day - plus the blood splatter in the snowy environment is fantastic.

(Winter spoiler)

haha, yeah. The first time I did a stealth kill on an enemy with Ellie, I just stopped for a second, almost in horror at what I was seeing. It was so brutal and fits her character perfectly. I never got tired of seeing it, lol.

sappyday

lol my friend sends me message saying "Look at my trophies" and I see that he already the platinum for this game. I only have 8% :(

Man I shouldn't have let my other friend borrow it since I really want to play it right now.

Evolved1

Luring in a group of clickers and runners and tossing a Molotov in between all of them never gets old :D

My best molotov throw was seven in one shot... not NG+ either.

(Fall spoiler)
Upstairs in the University library, got 'em all at once. Joel's comment after, in that context, was hilarious appropriate.

partime

Will not read posts,

Just want to say, this game is fucking great!
Couldn't go to sleep last night, heart rate was sky high!

MYE

So I just saw what is probably the second best intro to a game this gen.

I turned off the system. Must get work done.....

Evolved1

I believe Neil said that it took three and a half years.

I recall Neil and Bruce talking about having a period that was early conceptual stuff for new IP... even tried to do a new Jak and Daxter, but scrapped it after not likely liking how it was coming together.

Have they been specific about how long they spent working on J&D or how long TLoU was full-on production mode?

I loved this game, will I in turn also like the Uncharted series?
The Uncharted series has great characters and dialogue/production values just like this game, but they play very, very differently from each other.

Uncharted is more light hearted, think Indiana Jones, no emphasis on survival, just a great, great third person shooter franchise.

DatDude

Banned
The Uncharted series has great characters and dialogue/production values just like this game, but they play very, very differently from each other.

Uncharted is more light hearted, think Indiana Jones, no emphasis on survival, just a great, great third person shooter franchise.

with tons of bullet sponge enemies, and very poor gunplay.

It's Indiana Jones: Set Piece The Game...interesting locations, awesome set pieces, great characters, decent narrative, witty dialogue, and a nice upbeat pulpy indiana jones heart.

(skip UC1 if you can. Easily the weakest out of all 3)

RDreamer

with tons of bullet sponge enemies, and very poor gunplay.

It's Indiana Jones: Set Piece The Game...interesting locations, awesome set pieces, great characters, decent narrative, witty dialogue, and a nice upbeat pulpy indiana jones heart.

(skip UC1 if you can. Easily the weakest out of all 3)

I swear I practically froth at the mouth every time people say this about Uncharted. The gunplay was and is the best of any 3rd person shooter I've played. At least it's my preferred gunplay, and I never got the feeling they were bullet sponges. Unless you suck at doing headshots and never ever do some of the cool combos (bullet and then punch), enemies shouldn't be a problem.

Also, don't listen to this guy. Play Uncharted 1. It's such a good game with so much charm. Yeah it's a bit less with the setpieces than 2 or 3, but it's still a fantastic start to the series. I think you do it all a disservice by skipping that one.

Bottom line, though, is that you won't necessarily like Uncharted if you like this game. It depends on what you like in this game. It's a lot more fast paced, more upbeat at times, and definitely more pulpy. It doesn't take itself so seriously, and I think that helps it. I could only play TLOU in couple hour spirts, but I could practically play Uncharted all day long over and over.

Winter spoilers.

Holy fuck ND, are you serious? What are you doing to my nerves? And I thought that Sniper stuff couldn't be beaten. This game is nuts. The story is amazing. What a masterpiece. I just wish the framerate would be better. :(

diamount

Banned
So, I bought the game today but one thing is really annoying me. That fucking haze... I can't see anything, even with the torch on.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
41%, off to bed. As soon as I complete the game, I'll start reading this thread from page one to the last.

Stillmatic

Cheers

Something that doesn't get enough praise imo is the UI. Every piece of info you could need is available at a glance

Currently (58%)

A bit late here but I ran into a couple of groups as I entered houses, and then another when I reached the end of the street. Later I watched someones Survivor run of that section and he only ran into the group that comes out at the end of the street. I went along the right side, the guy doing the Survivor run went left.

Grinchy

Banned
Credits are rolling, just finished. God damn. This game was so fucking good. It embarrasses 99% of all other games that try to tell a story.

edit- 21 hours on Hard if anyone is curious.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This one has stuck with me something fierce. I don't tend to replay non-score-based singleplayer games within a year of completion, but I think I may have to move my survivor run up the priority list.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't really notice it much while playing on hard but when Ellie throws bricks and bottles to stun enemies it can really be a lifesaver on survival mode.

Top Bottom