• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Uh, what? That thread is amazing. So many questions answered, so many good discussions.

If you say so... personally I find a great deal of it morally repugnant. But that discussion is for that thread. I should have known better than to bring it up in this one.

kingocfs

I feel like I've been playing this game forever, it's still Summer, but it's only really been like 5 or 6 hours.

I don't mean that in a bad way, though, I'm totally lost in this shitty world. A game hasn't made me feel like that in a long time.

khaaan

I can't stop thinking about this game, it's been less than 24 hours since I finished it and I want to go back and do it all again. That single player dlc can't come soon enough.

Anson225

My best molotov throw was seven in one shot... not NG+ either.

(Fall spoiler)
Upstairs in the University library, got 'em all at once. Joel's comment after, in that context, was hilarious appropriate.

there is a
University library
?! are you talking about the very last part of
FALL
? did i just miss a whole chunk of area lol?
since
after I found out about the dead guy in the science lab, I just ran straight back down and didn't see a library!

Evolved1

there is a
University library
?! are you talking about the very last part of
FALL
? did i just miss a whole chunk of area lol?
since
after I found out about the dead guy in the science lab, I just ran straight back down and didn't see a library!

The area where you have to go
upstairs and turn on a generator surrounded by infected, cannot be missed.

It was a library, to my recollection,
unless I'm mistaken.

Anson225

The area where you have to go
upstairs and turn on a generator surrounded by infected, cannot be missed.

It was a library, to my recollection,
unless I'm mistaken.

oh I know which area you are talking about! too focused on the infected, didn't realize what place it is lol
pretty awesome how you dealt with it, after my stealth failed I just blast them all to hell with my boomstick ha
but yeh the molotov is turning out to be the best weapon in game

This game forced me to buy Pulse headset

sony-pulse-wireless-stereo-headset.jpg

Surround sound problem solved.

Anyone else get a muffled effect when the Pulse is set to high? it sounds like a speaker is broken

My best molotov throw was seven in one shot... not NG+ either.

(Fall spoiler)
Upstairs in the University library, got 'em all at once. Joel's comment after, in that context, was hilarious appropriate.

Ha. Yep. Did the same. That particular instance is probably the most obvious in the entire game in terms of just begging for a Molotov. Also, you'll notice that the crafty buggers at ND have left every inch of that area devoid of any throwable objects. I was pretty chuffed with myself when I figured to shoot my last arrow into the centre of the room as bait.

30 min in....holy crap
at the feels in the first 10 min
. I mean I saw it coming a mile away but damn...Also, the game makes my PS3 sound like a jet engine. Is it even safe for me to play this game on the PS3?

Dead

well not really...yet
Question for anyone that is at least...80% through the game

When Henry kills the kid he is with after he is infected and then kills himself...he says that's his brother. Am I fucking imagining things or was it not established that that was his son earlier
?

LegendX48

I didn't really notice it much while playing on hard but when Ellie throws bricks and bottles to stun enemies it can really be a lifesaver on survival mode.

honestly, it seems like she does considerably more on survivor than on normal or hard. I remeber trying to stealth through a room and suddenly a guy walks in and right before he spots me Ellie jumps him and stealth kills him lol

LegendX48

Question for anyone that is at least...80% through the game

When Henry kills the kid he is with after he is infected and then kills himself...he says that's his brother. Am I fucking imagining things or was it not established that that was his son earlier
?

he says early on that Sam is his brother. iirc he says it in the same cutscene that introduces them

LifEndz

Just made it to Fall. Good God Damn. I wasn't really feeling the *Spoilers for the segment preceding the Fall*
two African American characters just because it felt a little too much like they were copying the Walking Dead. I did come around on them when it was revealed they were brothers.
. I know this has probably been asked a million times, but I flat out sucked at
sniping during that one segment involving the Humvee
and I just want to know if the
younger of the two brothers dies regardless of how bad or good of a job you do at shooting with the sniper rifle

Damn....This game takes place in one of the most dire and depressing settings I've yet encountered in a game...except for maybe the Walking Dead. The RPG fan in me just wishes there were some other mechanics like a hunger or sleep meter. Hell, in a lot of sequences I'd love some Mass Effect type squad controls.

All in all, this game just keeps getting better. Can't wait to partake in the spoiler thread.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just made it to Fall. Good God Damn. I wasn't really feeling the *Spoilers for the segment preceding the Fall*
two African American characters just because it felt a little too much like they were copying the Walking Dead. I did come around on them when it was revealed they were brothers.
. I know this has probably been asked a million times, but I flat out sucked at
sniping during that one segment involving the Humvee
and I just want to know if the
younger of the two brothers dies regardless of how bad or good of a job you do at shooting with the sniper rifle

Damn....This game takes place in one of the most dire and depressing settings I've yet encountered in a game...except for maybe the Walking Dead. The RPG fan in me just wishes there were some other mechanics like a hunger or sleep meter. Hell, in a lot of sequences I'd love some Mass Effect type squad controls.

All in all, this game just keeps getting better. Can't wait to partake in the spoiler thread.
It doesn't change; there is one story.

KorrZ

Well, almost at the end of my survivor run...
Just finished Winter...only Spring left to go.
God damnit it's almost over again. It's pretty fascinating to me that this is my second playthrough in a row and I still am not fatigued by the game in the slightest, I STILL don't want it to ever end.

Man that cutscene..
where Ellie finished off David, "He tried to-" "Oh baby girl.." "it's okay, it's okay" makes me want to tear up like a little girl everytime :'(

Unai

I'm in the
sewers
just after the
bridge
. How long will it take to finish the game? Is this past half or before the half?

Evolved1

I fucking love this game.

Going back on replay though, I realize that the game is actually pretty light on combat. Which, imo, was the right choice. But when I'm in the mood to really get into the combat, I find I kill everyone too quickly and it's over before I know it.

MP really should have been some kind of horde mode... something where you could just enjoy a nice big chunk of combat at your leisure.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I fucking love this game.

Going back on replay though, I realize that the game is actually pretty light on combat. Which, imo, was the right choice. But when I'm in the mood to really get into the combat, I find I kill everyone too quickly and it's over before I know it.

MP really should have been some kind of horde mode... something where you could just enjoy a nice big chunk of combat at your leisure.

I was going to make a post about this myself. The combat is always over in short bursts, and it's hard to just get to a point of combat to replay. This game is begging for a co-op horde mode.

Vodh

Why do people want to know, how much of the game they've got left? I actually consider it a spoiler - with TLoU it worked out in my favour, because i got 'spoiled' the length of the game, but I was going at a much slower pace so (spoilers from after 70% i guess)
I actually thought the game would end with Joel dying with just a short sequence showing Ellie hunting the deer and maybe dealing with some infected now that she's on her own. Man, was I in for a treat!
but accurate predictions about how much of the game is still left cheapen several climax moments IMHO.

Evolved1

I was going to make a post about this myself. The combat is always over in short bursts, and it's hard to just get to a point of combat to replay. This game is begging for a co-op horde mode.

No horde hurts.

I feel like they made the wrong decision on MP... I would much rather have had a decently fleshed out character customization / creator than the meta game stuff they did. They let you equip hats and mask, and that's it. (And lets be honest, most of these are really stupid looking) It just kind of really sucks imo they went that route. And then, no co-op, no horde, no anything but TDM.

It is really disappointing to me. I have tried to get into MP despite my general apathy (to put it politely) toward their approach, and every time I start to care about it or the meta game just a little bit, the host drops me, or I lose connection for whatever reason, and *bam* 75% of my colony is dead or dying.

You get seriously punished for stuff that isn't even your fault. And then, come to find out, people are purposely turning off their PS3's to avoid failing missions... so they kill the game to save their stats and hurt everyone else!

There is also just the existence of missions that really bothers me, because it puts emphasis on these completely arbitrary tasks that aren't always in the best interest of the team or match at hand. I've now seen the really ugly side of this... and in a way can't entirely blame the people doing the underhanded shit, because these missions are putting them under serious pressure. Why should they care about helping some randoms win the match, when it would be better to lose, ensuring another round to collect supplies, or heal, or whatever.

The meta game is kind of gross in theory, and even worse in practice. I love how you can't collect your spoils if you kill the last guy! You get the down and execution, assuming someone didn't try to cheese a steal while you were running for the special execution (again, can't really blame them if they do) and then the scoreboard pops immediately, not allowing you to pick up the parts from it.

Just shows how little thought they put into all of it.

And you know what? I wouldn't even care or complain if the game had a horde mode, or a hardcore mode without any of that stuff, but it doesn't.

So here I am complaining about it. Because the really obvious stuff isn't there, and the very little they actually did is incredibly undercooked.

They can;t seriously be okay with the punitive design to this meta game, people getting screwed so hard for being disconnected, can they? Is it possible they didn't see it coming? No way, that would be incompetence. This feels more like indifference.

Grinchy

Banned
I forgot to mention earlier that I find the clip capacity upgrades odd for the weapons. Maybe it's just because I played it on hard mode, but upgrading the clip capacity was basically a waste of resources because I never had enough ammo to make use of it anyway.

vvise

Finished my first play-through, played on hard. 16h20m. Been avoiding any TLoU threads till now, feels good to finally peek in here.

What a great ride that was, not sure if I'll get a lot of sleep tonight.

KorrZ

I forgot to mention earlier that I find the clip capacity upgrades odd for the weapons. Maybe it's just because I played it on hard mode, but upgrading the clip capacity was basically a waste of resources because I never had enough ammo to make use of it anyway.

I think that absolutely depends on the weapon. The rifle is a perfect example. It starts with only 1 bullet in the clip, and 1 bullet doesn't kill anything unless it's a headshot or you have the power upgrade. If you want to use the rifle effectively I think it's essential to upgrade the clip.

El Diablo is another example.

Grinchy

Banned
I think that absolutely depends on the weapon. The rifle is a perfect example. It starts with only 1 bullet in the clip, and 1 bullet doesn't kill anything unless it's a headshot or you have the power upgrade. If you want to use the rifle effectively I think it's essential to upgrade the clip.

El Diablo is another example.

Yeah, that's a good point. I was upgrading everything when I started thinking about how I never have that much ammo for certain weapons and it felt like a waste. But the rifle especially benefited from the extended clip.

lantus

Umm so I had the game crash during the cutscene where you first meet Ellie. I restarted my PS3 and am trying to start the game back up and now when I start it it stays at 0% loading. It's been like that for probably 5 minutes, anyone else have this problem?

Scrabble

Quite possibly the best game of the generation, but how awesome would it be if there was no sequel and this was just allowed to stand alone as it's own story. But it's video games so who am I kidding.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Why do people want to know, how much of the game they've got left? I actually consider it a spoiler - with TLoU it worked out in my favour, because i got 'spoiled' the length of the game, but I was going at a much slower pace so (spoilers from after 70% i guess)
I actually thought the game would end with Joel dying with just a short sequence showing Ellie hunting the deer and maybe dealing with some infected now that she's on her own. Man, was I in for a treat!
but accurate predictions about how much of the game is still left cheapen several climax moments IMHO.

Same here. I rented the game (I'll buy it when I can), so I was wondering how long it was. But when I got about half way through, I realized I didn't want to know when it would end, because I didn't want it to end.

If you want to know how far you are though, I think your save file has a % finished stat, and I think that stat refers to the story, not to secrets and such. So 100% = finished story, not 100% game completion. Am I wrong about that? (like I said I stopped looking half way through)

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Am I allowed to say stuff like, the combat in tomb raider is better? Or will I just get eaten alive?

Maybe better isn't the best word, but satisfying? Less unwieldy?

Quite possibly the best game of the generation, but how awesome would it be if there was no sequel and this was just allowed to stand alone as it's own story. But it's video games so who am I kidding.
Gonna agree with you on this, was thinking the same thing as I was playing. Not everything needs to be a franchise, even though this game is spectacular.

lantus

Am I allowed to say stuff like, the combat in tomb raider is better? Or will I just get eaten alive?

Mmm I can see the argument, but that's a big matter of preference. I think the weighty feel of everything you do in this game is immensely more satisfying than Tomb Raider's (not saying that games controls are bad either). I found the bow and arrow in this game much more satisfying as a result in The Last of Us too.

Wow, i got killed by a pipe shot to the head and the screen just goes immediately black. No death animation. Almost at the end and had never seen that.

Same thing happened to me yesterday. I thought it was a glitch or something. I actually kind of like it though, in the midst of an all out brawl and getting shot at the same time then BOOM ... (Silence + black screen)

meta4

TR is a pure TPS. Not sure how they are comparable. Among TPS games TR is one of the mediocre games out there. The fact that TLOU has weapon sway itself puts its combat out of regular TPS stuff like UC,Gears,TR etc..

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Mmm I can see the argument, but that's a big matter of preference. I think the weighty feel of everything you do in this game is immensely more satisfying than Tomb Raider's (not saying that games controls are bad either). I found the bow and arrow in this game much more satisfying as a result in The Last of Us too.

I see your point and I always want more weightyness in my games, mostly in animation and exploration. I like the heftyness of the movement and the melee, but honestly here it hurts the shooting. It feels more sluggish and imprecise, and therefor more challenging and less satisying than say,tomb raider

Edit: don't get me wrong, i m not playing it as a shooter... I only use guns when I have to. I just don't really enjoy it when i do, heh

I see your point and I always want more weightyness in my games, mostly in animation and exploration. I like the heftyness of the movement and the melee, but honestly here it hurts the shooting. It feels more sluggish and imprecise, and therefor more challenging and less satisying than say,tomb raider

Edit: don't get me wrong, i m not playing it as a shooter... I only use guns when I have to. I just don't really enjoy it when i do, heh

Have you upgraded the weapon sway for Joel? That helps quite a bit when firing guns.

darkwing

the brick is where it's at, the brick!

lantus

Yeah the shooting can take some time getting used to, and depending on your approach, you might end up using guns very little thus not getting you very acclimated to them. How far are you? The first upgrades I maxed out were weapon sway and shiv master, it made everything much easier, granted I didn't use listen mode at all, but that also depends on your play style.

Top Bottom