• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

damidu

played for 2 hours.
really liking the game so far.

naughty dog seems to get better and better with this interactive storytelling thing.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Yeah the shooting can take some time getting used to, and depending on your approach, you might end up using guns very little thus not getting you very acclimated to them. How far are you? The first upgrades I maxed out were weapon sway and shiv master, it made everything much easier, granted I didn't use listen mode at all, but that also depends on your play style.

Not super far, about 20 min after getting the hunting rifle (hence my first post haha). I enjoy the tactics of stealth here, though I'm playing listening mode off so I'm not that great at it and resort to violence as needed ;)

Oh and, brick > bottle

Superflat

Am I allowed to say stuff like, the combat in tomb raider is better? Or will I just get eaten alive?

Maybe better isn't the best word, but satisfying? Less unwieldy?

I think it's perfectly fine to say that since they both play stronger to different tastes. I don't think there's an objective answer.

TR's combat is incredibly slick, but I found the level layouts wanting because a lot of combat took place where you run down a fairly narrow strip where all the enemies come from.

TLOU's combat is deliberately more unwieldy and weighty, but I loved that it takes place in wider areas, and levels get more maze-like as it goes on.

It feels more sluggish and imprecise, and therefor more challenging and less satisying than say,tomb raider

It's def the weapon sway. I upgraded it once and had very little problems with the sluggish feeling. Also, I raised the aim sensitivity a bit and felt more precise/responsive.

crispyben

Finished it last night, wow. Any idea why my save file says 135 collectibles while the main menu says 130? Which one's right? Thanks.

EDIT: it's apparently the toolboxes that are accounted for differently in both menus...

lantus

Not super far, about 20 min after getting the hunting rifle (hence my first post haha). I enjoy the tactics of stealth here, though I'm playing listening mode off so I'm not that great at it and resort to violence as needed ;)

Oh and, brick > bottle

Yeah if you intend to go a no listen mode approach then I would suggest going with the weapon sway and shiv master upgrades first. They take longer, but they help A LOT. Shooting clickers in the head can still be hard half of the time, but you don't have to fight the sway at all which helps.

Silky

Banned
The Torture Scene
happened and now I know that Joel is the greatest PS3 protagonist of all time. I'm just grinning in delight right now.

Fjordson

After a few busy days I finally got back to this. Finished up the last hour of so of summer, and am now an hour or two into fall.

To be honest, the summer section started to drag for me. I don't know why it felt like that, but it wasn't as good as everything with Bill or the beginning of the summer section. Though that ending story-wise was crazy. Really intense.

Fall has started out amazing, though. Maybe it was just simply a change of scenery that I needed because I'm really into this section so far.

DatDude

Banned
After a few busy days I finally got back to this. Finished up the last hour of so of summer, and am now an hour or two into fall.

To be honest, the summer section started to drag for me. I don't know why it felt like that, but it wasn't as good as everything with Bill or the beginning of the summer section. Though that ending story-wise was crazy. Really intense.

Fall has started out amazing, though. Maybe it was just simply a change of scenery that I needed because I'm really into this section so far.

If you like change of scenery than winter will slay you.

Dakota47

After finishing TLoU I can't think of what game I want to play next. I was never very really into story-heavy games, but this one might have changed my mind. A friend of mine said I should try Bioshock Infinite or the Uncharted series. What other games would you guys recommend? I have a PS3 and a capable PC.

Jobbs

Banned
Was anyone else appreciative of
Bill's portrayal, a gay character who is tough, hearty, and mean -- Completely opposite the stereotype of gay people as overly metro or fem or fairies that you see in games/tv/movies?

After finishing TLoU I can't think of what game I want to play next. I was never very really into story-heavy games, but this one might have changed my mind. A friend of mine said I should try Bioshock Infinite or the Uncharted series. What other games would you guys recommend? I have a PS3 and a capable PC.

Ha, this is my dilemma now.

I do actually need to play through Infinite properly - keep getting a few hours in and stop playing (not through any fault of the game, mind) so that's likely my next game.

Dakota47

Was anyone else appreciative of
Bill's portrayal, a gay character who is tough, hearty, and mean -- Completely opposite the stereotype of gay people as overly metro or fem or fairies that you see in games/tv/movies?

It was actually so subtle that it didn't really occur to me he was gay until I read about it in this thread.

Lower your expectations. That is what I did. The minute I finished TLoU I knew that no game that has been released thus far could move you like the story in this game did.

I would definitely go ahead and play BioShock Infinite and the Uncharted series if you have not done that before. They are easily in the Top 20 of games you must have played this generation.

Ratrat

Spec Ops The Line.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Startin a new Survivor run and ... after 3 times now... the opening scene is still jarring and heartstrings and all kinds of feels for me. I know everything that's gonna happen... every possible nuance but the actual presentation and execution is so fuckin good everytime. It's like watching a favorite movie... fear and loathing or pulp fiction ... every single time it catches me and turns me sideways. So good.

Also... a new dynamic that i didn't really give enough time to ... with all the talk of joel and his past and do you think he's an ok dude or a total douche canoe.
Violent or forced to survive and so on and so forth. His relationship with Tess at the beginning of the game is that of an enforcer. No one really knows him that well... certainly most people don't even like him. And tess is the boss and the game changer and the decision maker and the strategist. He's released himself of that burden and is just in his nice little place where he does something he never thought he would be good at (but he really... really is) and get paid pretty good to do it WHEN a brand new daughter is dropped in his lap. His excuse for not going after his own desires and his own decisions gets dead and all of a sudden - a chance to start over.

They made such a good fucking game here... it continues to blow me away. Also I found a groove tonight online and was killing some 20+ bastards playing as a team with my rag tag lone wolf group of 0-2s

sogood.gif this game + bowls and a big screen is magical. The fuckin views like whoa....

Dakota47

Ha, this is my dilemma now.

I do actually need to play through Infinite properly - keep getting a few hours in and stop playing (not through any fault of the game, mind) so that's likely my next game.

Lower your expectations. That is what I did. The minute I finished TLoU I knew that no game that has been released thus far could move you like the story in this game did.

I would definitely go ahead and play BioShock Infinite and the Uncharted series if you have not done that before. They are easily in the Top 20 of games you must have played this generation.

Spec Ops The Line.

Thanks guys. I think I'm gonna play that Walking Dead game first. That probably is the best follow-up game after having played TLoU.

Just completed the game and found it to be phenomenal. I loved everything about it and it's a definite contender for game of the generation. The final part of the game did leave me a bit conflicted, which I think was the intent of the developers.

Spec Ops The Line.

is this one of those games that rely on plot twist somewhere in the story? I've been playing this game on and off again for months, haven't beat it yet, I think I still have 3 or 4 chapters left and I don't get the praise it's getting. seems fairly standard shooter, I didn't found the main character and his 2 teammate amazing or anything.

I keep thinking something amazing is gonna happen and then see the chapter list and I'm past halfway through the game and still didn't see it.

marcurius

So this is weird. Being a big fan of the Uncharted games, and loving the premise of the Last of Us as well as really digging zombies in general, I was expecting to love this game.

And I really do enjoy the setting and characters, a whole lot actually. I also like the crafting component and scarcity of supplies and all that jazz, however... I really, really dislike every section involving the infected. I don't particularly care for stealth games to begin with, but coupling that with my dislike for playing shooting games with a controller, the weapon sway and most of all, one hit kills, has put me off on the game to the point where I'm not sure I want to continue. Despite being quite invested in the story and characters; I do want to see where it all ends up but man, I'm just not enjoying myself most of the time...

I turned it on today, having not played it for a week or so due to work and vacation days, and I'm currently in a
school, after discovering that the military vehicle was stripped.
And after having been discovered and eaten by a clicker for the third time I just gave up and quit. Anyone that could tell me how far along I am in the game? I assume not very far, but I hear it's not a very long game to begin with, which would be great in my case.

darkwing

So this is weird. Being a big fan of the Uncharted games, and loving the premise of the Last of Us as well as really digging zombies in general, I was expecting to love this game.

And I really do enjoy the setting and characters, a whole lot actually. I also like the crafting component and scarcity of supplies and all that jazz, however... I really, really dislike every section involving the infected. I don't particularly care for stealth games to begin with, but coupling that with my dislike for playing shooting games with a controller, the weapon sway and most of all, one hit kills, has put me off on the game to the point where I'm not sure I want to continue. Despite being quite invested in the story and characters; I do want to see where it all ends up but man, I'm just not enjoying myself most of the time...

I turned it on today, having not played it for a week or so due to work and vacation days, and I'm currently in a
And after having been discovered and eaten by a clicker for the third time I just gave up and quit. Anyone that could tell me how far along I am in the game? I assume not very far, but I hear it's not a very long game to begin with, which would be great in my case.

wow, that is early in the game, just stick with it, it is all building up, trust your fellow GAF, the last 2/3 part is incredible, it is game of the current generation for me after that

Raymo

is this one of those games that rely on plot twist somewhere in the story? I've been playing this game on and off again for months, haven't beat it yet, I think I still have 3 or 4 chapters left and I don't get the praise it's getting. seems fairly standard shooter, I didn't found the main character and his 2 teammate amazing or anything.

I keep thinking something amazing is gonna happen and then see the chapter list and I'm past halfway through the game and still didn't see it.

I'm getting the same feeling as you and am around the same spot. Looking forward to a response...

the slower pace of the game spent on sneaking and exploring looking for supplies etc end up make the game longer than Uncharted. my play time is 17 hours, and your still pretty early.

if you're playing normal, you don't have to stealth around if you don't like it, you got plenty of ammo in normal to treat it more like tps. also, always keep bricks and bottles in your arsenal, and upgraded melee weapon too if you can. during combat, keep in mind where the clicker is and take them out as soon as possible so they don't catch you unaware while you're dealing with other enemies. there are plenty of one hit kill method you can use in the middle of combat. upgraded melee weapon is one of them.

hal9001

Banned
Just finished the game. What can I say that's not already been said? After the awesome opening, I had a few doubts about the first couple of hours in, but after you leave Boston the game keeps getting better and better elevating itself to incredible heights. I loved every moment of it and didn't want it to end. Definitely the Game of the year and perhaps one of the best games of all time. It manages to combine the rich narratives of games like heavy rain and walking dead but uniquely also lets you know that you are in control and are actually playing a game and not an interactive story, which no game has been able to manage so well as this one before.

On a side not the ending was a surprise as I thought I had been spoiled weeks ago but it turned out to be fantastic and totally different from what I expected (although i am sure there will be people that hate it). It had the vibes from the ending of films such as
The Godfather and No country for old man.

Lots to discuss in the spoilers thread.

Finally picked up TLoU the other day and got a chance to play for the first hour or two last night.

Hot damn.

This game has really pulled me in already, and I haven't gotten very far at all. Still, this game got hard QUICK. The one-hit kills I'm sure will frustrate the hell out of me later, but for now it's just the hard way to learn how to stealth kill a clicker.

I don't know if it's because of TLoU or not but the only game I've been able to put time into is Animal Crossing. Don't know if it's because it's new or not but no other game is grabbing me after beating it.

Andrew.

Banned
So I started up a fourth playthrough on Hard from scratch and Im just cruising through. The amount of ammo they give you is simply unfair since I was so accustomed to Survivor. No shots fired, and no shivs used yet except for the locked doors and Im already at Bills with zero deaths.

I managed to kill all four Runners and the Clicker in the office building (from the demo) in pure stealth without ever being caught. Didnt even think that was possible.

There is alot about it that people like,
the character development, how the gameplay dialogue slowly gets more and more intense etc("enemy is down.." "He is dead!" "HE IS FUCKING DOWN!!")
with that the melee also gets progressively more brutal.

Story plays a very important role in it.

It still bothers me that you don't leave prints after stepping in blood. Pretty jarring considering the attention to detail everywhere else. FIX THIS SHIT GUERILLA.

IronRinn

Played a bit more through Survivor +. You guys were totally right about that Runner. It's kind of insane the angle they allow in regards to a successful stealth take-down. The last Clicker in that area I was practically in front of when I triggered it spamming Triangle.

zma1013

So I started up a fourth playthrough on Hard from scratch and Im just cruising through. The amount of ammo they give you is simply unfair since I was so accustomed to Survivor. No shots fired, and no shivs used yet except for the locked doors and Im already at Bills with zero deaths.

I managed to kill all four Runners and the Clicker in the office building (from the demo) in pure stealth without ever being caught. Didnt even think that was possible.

Much like boss battles, once you figure out all the patrol routes and patterns, you can take everyone out easier. Difficulty level doesn't change that.

Emwitus

I can't wait for your final impressions :) I hated everything from after the intial start(intro credits) up until the part you just mentioned and TLOU has ended up being my third best game this gen after MGS4 and uncharted 2.

Andrew.

Banned
Much like boss battles, once you figure out all the patrol routes and patterns, you can take everyone out easier. Difficulty level doesn't change that.

Yup, but its still so damn fun especially now knowing how exactly to approach every situation in the most perfect way possible.

RDreamer

It's a pretty damned long game, actually. About 20 hours unless you're rushing.

I was a bit annoyed with some of the infected sections in the beginning, too, especially the 1 hit kill nature of them, but I feel like the 2nd half of the game was much better in that regard. If you're on normal you should get enough supplies in that half to play it much closer to a 3rd person shooter. Not all out balls to the wall or anything, but a tactical 3rd person shooter. I think you should stick with it because there's quite a lot you'll probably dig in the game overall.

This is the first game I have felt is one of my all time favorites but I absolutely don't want any kind of sequel or spinoff.
Not even with new characters.

Man if ND make Uncharted 4
they really need to have some of the
bigger open areas
that this game had.

You know what would be great? No monster closets.

Or at least be smart about it. Why am I getting shot from behind when behind me is just a corner that's a dead end?

Whats the point of anything i'm doing if enemies can just spawn wherever?

bahhhh. So annoying when you have a room all planned out how to tackle enemies, then shit just gets fucked for unfair reasons.

RDreamer

This is the first game I have felt is one of my all time favorites but I absolutely don't want any kind of sequel or spinoff.
Not even with new characters.

I don't see what would be wrong with continuing to use the scenario of the fungus infection apocalypse thing and doing different characters and stories around the world. There are a ton of different settings that would be cool with this sort of environment and a ton of different story arcs they could still do. I think as long as they leave Joel and Ellie and some of the groups touched on here alone, then it's fine still as a standalone.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Wow, I've just played through the most incredibly animated sequence I've ever seen in any game (speaking of your character animation)

Clone Outcast

Neo Member
After spending some time watching a The Last of Us walkthrough I can say that the game story seems awesome and visually it's quite the attractive game.

As for the gameplay itself? It just looks like most other 3rd-Person shooter/action games. So far there isn't really unique gameplay elements.

All that said, I would still have loved to play this game if I was able to.

Skilletor

After spending some time watching a The Last of Us walkthrough I can say that the game story seems awesome and visually it's quite the attractive game.

As for the gameplay itself? It just looks like most other 3rd-Person shooter/action games. So far there isn't really unique gameplay elements.

All that said, I would still have loved to play this game if I was able to.

I played a stealth game. Not sure what you're watching. :p

Beat it last night. Great way to end the generation. I think Dragon's Crown is the last game I'll be buying on a current gen console.

I'm going to have to think on TLoU for a bit because it really was an amazing experience.

I don't see what would be wrong with continuing to use the scenario of the fungus infection apocalypse thing and doing different characters and stories around the world. There are a ton of different settings that would be cool with this sort of environment and a ton of different story arcs they could still do. I think as long as they leave Joel and Ellie and some of the groups touched on here alone, then it's fine still as a standalone.
It would needs to be really really different for me.
even though I think ND is the best company out there I just can't see them doing something as good or better than this.
Its not really about the quality or whatever because I think I still enjoyed Uncharted 2 just a tad more but could see where 3 or a 4 could be even better.
With Last of Us I can't see them topping either character, the story, the setting and the only gameplay improvement I can unrealisticly see would be a more open world city.

Top Bottom