• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Fjordson

Hows the ammo in the game? Scarce? Or enough to not worry about using guns? I guess since you get a bow, ammo probably won't be found very often.
Pretty scarce. Having more than a full a clip for a gun means you're in good shape. 8-10 shotgun shells is locked and loaded in this game. You also don't want to use guns all the time because it's not too hard to get overwhelmed in this game. Especially against certain types of infected. Stealth is always your friend when applicable.

Just be sure to use stealth kills and the bow when you can and it'll never be a problem. Enemies only take 1-2 bullets to drop anyway.

kubus

Holy shit you guys, I just finished winter and... damnit. This game, man. This game.

I'm close to the end now (97%), I don't wanna play anymore ;_; fuck

Andrew.

Banned
Hows the ammo in the game? Scarce? Or enough to not worry about using guns? I guess since you get a bow, ammo probably won't be found very often.

It depends on what difficulty you play on.

And that bow comment makes no sense. Youll see.

The worst thing you can do with this game is assume shit about it.

KlotePino

And turn listen mode off and play on hard. Normal with listen mode on is a joke.

Can someone explain this hostile attitude to me? I'm at 87% on normal with listen right now and it feels like a good challenge to me. And it's not even like I'm a bad gamer or something, I've played competitive FPS/RTS games. I understand that you might wanna go with hard on a rerun but it seems like it would just mess up pacing and make the game needlessly frustrating.

Also about listen mode, I figured I'd hate mechanics like that but I actually think it works out really great. It's definitely not a free pass to see every enemy and it resembles something you'd do in a situation like that, focus and listen to your surroundings. Not everyone has a 7.1 surround system and the thumping music makes it even harder to listen to enemies on sound alone.

If I'm missing something please let me know but don't ruin the enjoyment and the pacing of the game by implying that someone isn't really playing the game if you're not playing on hard/no listen.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Pretty scarce. Having more than a full a clip for a gun means you're in good shape. 8-10 shotgun shells is locked and loaded in this game. You also don't want to use guns all the time because it's not too hard to get overwhelmed in this game. Especially against certain types of infected. Stealth is always your friend when applicable.

Just be sure to use stealth kills and the bow when you can and it'll never be a problem. Enemies only take 1-2 bullets to drop anyway.
Rofl at the idea of having 10 shotgun shells on me at any point. I doubt I ever had more than 5. Granted it was my go-to "oh holy shit fuck" weapon.

Last time I wrote in here i was at 34%. I was pretty sure that TheLastOfUs is my GotY at that point.
Little did I know what was still to come. I am pretty sure now that this game is the best game I've ever played. Its the best gaming experience I've ever had.
Thank you, NaughtyDog.

I played a bit of Uncharted:GoldenAbyss yesterday because I only play TLoU at night, and when I played TLoU later I found myself tilting the Ps3 controller to aim. It didn't work obviously.
Gyro Aim with the Vita is addicting as hell :D

KlotePino

I don't understand the stealth in this game. I'm at the first real encounter with infected, and i crouch up behind them really slowly and they still turn to see me :\

That first encounter is really tough for some reason. Try to take a few out and then just melee the last couple, after that encounter the sneaking around infected feels way different and easier. I'd say that encounter is one of the toughest in the game just because you hardly have anything to use, except for the bottles/bricks which you should try to use for the first couple of stealth takedowns before you go melee/rambo.

zma1013

I don't understand the stealth in this game. I'm at the first real encounter with infected, and i crouch up behind them really slowly and they still turn to see me :\

Could be that you're moving too fast in crouch mode. How fast you move in crouch mode actually effects how much sound make as well in relation to the infected. Move too fast in crouch mode and they will detect you. Moving slower may help but also remember that if you get too close, they will turn around and grab you no matter what. You have a small window of distance between grabbing them and alerting them.

Andrew.

Banned
That first encounter is really tough for some reason. Try to take a few out and then just melee the last couple, after that encounter the sneaking around infected feels way different and easier. I'd say that encounter is one of the toughest in the game just because you hardly have anything to use, except for the bottles/bricks which you should try to use for the first couple of stealth takedowns before you go melee/rambo.

It really isnt that bad. I managed to stealth that entire section and then toss a brick at the clicker followed by a one shot with the pipe/wooden beam to finish him off. The only guy you really have to worry about is the one walking in that big circle around the area who is behind you when you first drop down to that level. Once you get him, you can easily dispatch everyone else.

Fjordson

Rofl at the idea of having 10 shotgun shells on me at any point. I doubt I ever had more than 5. Granted it was my go-to "oh holy shit fuck" weapon.
Yeah, I didn't use it a ton in the second half of the game for whatever reason and I think I was up to 9 shells in the last combat area.

flyover

Totally agree. That first big battle was tough. I didn't know what I was doing, yet. I didn't have much in the way of weapons. I didn't know how the infected move and respond to things. And I didn't really know how to melee or stealth. I died a few times, but it was good training for what's to come. Everything was much easier after it.

Also, I'm with you on listen mode. I like that it's there. I don't use it all the time -- and I understand why some people wouldn't use it at all -- but for me, it adds something to the game. Sometimes it's helpful (and I feel smart for using it and setting myself up to stealth kill someone). And sometimes it actually adds tension (when I have a "Holy crap! There are that many enemies?" moment).

BHZ Mayor

Can someone explain this hostile attitude to me? I'm at 87% on normal with listen right now and it feels like a good challenge to me. And it's not even like I'm a bad gamer or something, I've played competitive FPS/RTS games. I understand that you might wanna go with hard on a rerun but it seems like it would just mess up pacing and make the game needlessly frustrating.

Also about listen mode, I figured I'd hate mechanics like that but I actually think it works out really great. It's definitely not a free pass to see every enemy and it resembles something you'd do in a situation like that, focus and listen to your surroundings. Not everyone has a 7.1 surround system and the thumping music makes it even harder to listen to enemies on sound alone.

If I'm missing something please let me know but don't ruin the enjoyment and the pacing of the game by implying that someone isn't really playing the game if you're not playing on hard/no listen.

I'd like someone to explain this too.

Being a mega thread maybe this has already been mentioned, but the game is currently sold out at most retailers where I live, Calgary. My buddy spoke to a Future Shop employee who said they only received approx. 20 copies which of course sold out quickly.

Is this Sony trying to get people on the online buying train, poor sales forecasting, or they just couldn't make enough copies? The conspiracy theorist in me thinks they are trying to squeeze out those direct download dolla's and get people primed to buy games online for PS4.

Yep. Last of Us in normal is more challenging than any Uncharted in normal (and most other similar games).

Still, if Hard only modify the loot and don't increase the damage or resistance of enemies (i don't really know if this is the case), Hard would be the best experience. In normal I'm usually full of crafting resources, and with full ammo in some weapons.

Andrew.

Banned

Well Normal mode basically dumps a shitload of crafting items and ammo on you, essentially defeating the purpose and theme of "survival" and serious scavenging. Personally, I like the rush of getting by by the skin of my teeth, and I enjoy having to decide if I want to make a shiv or a nail bomb or a health kit or a Molotov. And trust me, you feel way "smarter" when you stalk someone out and end them without using Listen Mode. LM is basically cheating to me now.

Then again, Im on my fifth playthrough.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

You cannot linger behind infected... as soon as possible you must grab them.

It's kind of the opposite of something like Splinter Cell where you creep as close as possible. In TLoU you hit triangle as soon as you're in range or they'll spin on you. Idk, maybe they smell you, lol.

But yeah, get right on triangle as soon as you're in range.

The ones just standing around are completely stupid/docile... you can take as long as you want on them. But for anything walking around you have a very small window to grab them once you get in range.

Evolved1

Ah right, thanks for the replies.

I figured it was just me being ignorant to how the different infected work.

No problem. I had the same issues. Played so many stealth games (love stealth games) that operate completely opposite mechanically.

You can actually move pretty quickly behind most infected... but not clickers!

Clickers are "blind" but you still have to use the slowest crouch-walk if you're in their direct or peripheral vision. Or they will aggro.

Actually every infected type in the game has a little wrinkle about them that's different with regard to how stealth works with them. I guess it's kind of annoying, figuring that out, but overall I enjoy the mechanics in TLoU.

RPGCrazied

You know what I hope makes a return next gen? Manuals. I get home with the game, installing update, look to read the manual, all you get is 1 page artwork with online pass code. :/

ascii42

You know what I hope makes a return next gen? Manuals. I get home with the game, installing update, look to read the manual, all you get is 1 page artwork with online pass code. :/

Right. It's on the disc, but unlike the Vita, you can't read it while you're actually playing the game. I'm sure they'll at least fix that.

1upmuffin

So, I finished The Last of Us, and while the cinematics were great there were a few design decisions I thought were really bad.

First, the boring "puzzles". AKA, move a dumpster, get Ellie to jump on a pallet, move a ladder, and move a plank.
Near the end of the game there is one room where you have to use a pallet, then a ladder, then use the ladder as a plank. Is this all they could think of?

Next,
The "boss fight" when you fight David as Ellie. This fight was essentially a classic Mario boss. You hit him 3 times and each time you hit him he gets angrier. This felt really out of place in a game devoid of any other "boss" type moments.

The combat was alright, the slowness of some of the gunfights felt right with the serious tone. Towards the end it gets the Uncharted problem of guys taking a ton of bullets. It takes two direct hits to the face with the scoped pistol to kill some of the guys; it really breaks the immersion and ruins the realism.

Overall, I would give the cinematics and story a 5/5 and the gameplay a 4/5.

ascii42

Next,
The "boss fight" when you fight David as Ellie. This fight was essentially a classic Mario boss. You hit him 3 times and each time you hit him he gets angrier. This felt really out of place in a game devoid of any other "boss" type moments.

I liked it, but you're right. Actually, most of the little design oddities in the game seem to boil down to "because video games"

DownLoad

Being a mega thread maybe this has already been mentioned, but the game is currently sold out at most retailers where I live, Calgary. My buddy spoke to a Future Shop employee who said they only received approx. 20 copies which of course sold out quickly.

Is this Sony trying to get people on the online buying train, poor sales forecasting, or they just couldn't make enough copies? The conspiracy theorist in me thinks they are trying to squeeze out those direct download dolla's and get people primed to buy games online for PS4.

I'm also in Calgary. Tried to pick up the game on the weekend. Couldn't find it anywhere, but stopped at a toysrus (Market Mall specifically) since I was nearby and they had a few left over if you or any friends want to find one, might still have some.

Definitely curious why it's such low on stock everywhere. I haven't had trouble finding a physical copy of a game in years... Could be an attempt at pushing towards online but not sure.

Replicant

Will this prevent me from getting survivor trophy?

No it won't. The minute I finished Survivor+ after my normal playthrough I scored every remaining difficulties trophies: Survivor+, Survivor, Hard+, Hard, Normal+, and Easy+ (Normal and Easy already pinged after my 1st playthrough on Normal).

Warning: it takes a while before the pinging happen after the game goes back to the main menu so be patient and don't restart your game/machine just yet until you get them all.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
This is what I mean with light reflection:

irJg753B6k3KM.gif

Pretty amazing stuff. No wonder ND are keeping this engine for their nextgen projects.
Yeah, the flashlight in this game is amazing. Probably the best flashlight in any game period. It's, as far as I know, the only game which has GI implemented on a dynamic light (as your gif shows). Crysis 3 has a GI on a single light source too, but the source was the sun so it was static.

1upmuffin

Not if you upgrade the armor-piercing. ;)

I took out six guys with six headshots right near the end there, it felt super satisfying.

If you shoot them in the face there is no armor to pierce. :p

I liked it, but you're right. Actually, most of the little design oddities in the game seem to boil down to "because video games"

In a game that is very serious there is a bit too much "because video games". It doesn't dampen the experience too much but it still stands out as something that feels out of place.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Also they hired every major outsourcing studio in China. End credits are insane. XPEC, Exigent, Ladyluck, etc etc. No way to produce a game like this without them anymore.

I wonder if all the outsourcing was the cause of stuff like that Tumblr artist's subway map being used in the game and the sex hotline. It probably made it harder for them to make sure all the art was legit.

Ok, I must be playing this game wrong.

I'm trying so hard to be consistent with a stealth approach to every encounter in order to conserve resources that the pacing of the game really seems to be suffering for it. I mean, I know I have a lot more options in approaching some of these encounters on paper, but basically 70% of the last 13 hours has been throwing a brick and then pressing triangle then square, and a good chunk of the rest usually plays out with me fucking up and running into a convenient corner where I can beat a steady stream of guys to death one at a time with one combo. If I blow stealth around infected, I have to choose between blowing a good chunk of my resources or just dying and trying again. I basically always choose to just die, since I don't know if the next area will be worse.

I feel like I should be enjoying this more, but maybe I'm too concerned with hording resources? About the only thing I'm having good luck with spicing up encounters without blowing stealth are bombs.

Just getting to the second half now which everyone seems to love, should I just shut up and finish it? :p

1upmuffin

I'm trying so hard to be consistent with a stealth approach to every encounter in order to conserve resources that the pacing of the game really seems to be suffering for it. I mean, I know I have a lot more options in approaching some of these encounters on paper, but basically 70% of the last 13 hours has been throwing a brick and then pressing triangle then square, and a good chunk of the rest usually plays out with me fucking up and running into a convenient corner where I can beat a steady stream of guys to death one at a time with one combo. If I blow stealth around infected, I have to choose between blowing a good chunk of my resources or just dying and trying again. I basically always choose to just die, since I don't know if the next area will be worse.

I feel like I should be enjoying this more, but maybe I'm too concerned with hording resources? About the only thing I'm having good luck with spicing up encounters without blowing stealth are bombs.

Just getting to the second half now which everyone seems to love, should I just shut up and finish it? :p

The combat is not where the game shines the brightest.

zma1013

My advice? Don't horde your ammo. If you don't enjoy the stealth game or throwing bricks, use your weapons. You will always find more stuff as you go and quite often people will drop ammo as you use yours. Don't be afraid to let loose, you will never get stuck because you are out of resources. I got over that style of playing games long ago. If you run out, then worry about stealthing and using bricks. (BTW, bricks/bottles really are too powerful in the game)

RPGCrazied

This game looks fantastic! Sure there is a hint of jaggies, but its not as transparent like in most games. Of course I'm playing on a smaller set, 22" 1080p Samsung LED monitor. And they are pulling at the heart strings so early, almost shed a tear in the intro section.

This game is amazing man. 7 hours in and I'm only 52% done.

The Boiler Room of the Hotel was the scariest part of the game so far. When the 2 Bloaters appear, it's a fair dinkem "nope" moment and you haul arse.

The human moments between Joel and Ellie are also ridiculously well done (especially prevalent when Joel gives her the Rifle to cover him and her reaction to killing people). Naughty Dog know how to make you care for the characters.

Ixion090

My copy just arrived (took around 15 days, international shipping and all) and I started playing it yesterday night. I just finished the capitol and I'm loving it so far. I like that it's not as easy as many games this generation, and I really have to take care of those resources. The story seems like it could develop into something interesting. So far so good.

Oh, and the intro. Godammit ;_;

BHZ Mayor

If you shoot them in the face there is no armor to pierce. :p

In a game that is very serious there is a bit too much "because video games". It doesn't dampen the experience too much but it still stands out as something that feels out of place.

This is actually one of the things that stood out as a major thing I liked about the game. It's definitely a more 'gamey' game than usual.

Leeness

Ack, I forgot to save it and I can't find it.

Can someone please link me that adorable design Neil had on his shirt, the cute animated Ellie and Joel walking and talking? I want it for my phone :)

Smo21

Well I just got to winter
and turned the game off immediately, I don't wanna live anymore :(

Spoiler from end of Summer
The sniper section kinda pissed me off, it felt so constrained and against what the rest of the game has been doing. I was able to find a vantage point and I should have been able to kill the sniper but nope. Then the guys spawning out of nowhere. Like wtf really? Also Sam :(

Such a great game so far.

My advice? Don't horde your ammo. If you don't enjoy the stealth game or throwing bricks, use your weapons. You will always find more stuff as you go and quite often people will drop ammo as you use yours. Don't be afraid to let loose, you will never get stuck because you are out of resources. I got over that style of playing games long ago. If you run out, then worry about stealthing and using bricks. (BTW, bricks/bottles really are too powerful in the game)

That's the thing, I'm not really disliking the stealth, it just seems I'm padding the game to the point where it's overstaying its welcome by perhaps needlessly trying to be really efficient. I think I'm gonna stop restarting encounters for now and just go apeshit on the infected when I mess up.

Yes please =P

Ok :p

Evolved1

Question, do you have to hear all the option dialog in the same playthrough for the trophy to pop?

Vire

Hey guys, I apologize as I'm sure this has been asked before, but is there a way to start a New Game+ on a difficulty higher than the one you beat it on?

Top Bottom