• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

bigmac996

I am so frustrated right now.

Had this game preordered but had to go out on business so the local game store sold my copy to someone else. Now that I'm back, everywhere in Toronto seems to be sold out of the game. I've never wanted to play a game so bad in my life...

If anyone has seen this game anywhere in the Toronto area, please let me know!

Vire

I am so frustrated right now.

Had this game preordered but had to go out on business so the local game store sold my copy to someone else. Now that I'm back, everywhere in Toronto seems to be sold out of the game. I've never wanted to play a game so bad in my life...

If anyone has seen this game anywhere in the Toronto area, please let me know!

I'd just order it off Amazon to be honest, they are in stock.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007CM0K86/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Sucks to wait though, hopefully someone knows of a spot you can go to.

almost quit for good at that
stealth part emerging from the city where you dodge guards by throwing bricks.
couldn't tell you how many times i had to restart.

conversely

restarting at the next scene where you have take on 4 zombies and a clicker
wasn't nearly as frustrating.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
perhaps needlessly trying to be really efficient. I think I'm gonna stop restarting encounters for now and just go apeshit on the infected when I mess up.
Yes. Play as if you are the character. Barely escaping a fucked-up encounter with your life and a shattered 2 by 4 or a single round left in the chamber is the game at its best.

Vire

I don't understand why you have to jump through hoops just to play on a higher difficulty with New Game +.

It's incredibly stupid.

Just disable trophies when you use New Game+, I don't give a fuck, I just want to have fun.

Vodh

Ok guys, it's been a little over a week since I've beat the game - time to jump back in to NG+!

BTW, is it possible to do a NG++? I assume it is, but just wanna make sure.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I don't understand why you have to jump through hoops just to play on a higher difficulty with New Game +.

It's incredibly stupid.

Just disable trophies when you use New Game+, I don't give a fuck, I just want to have fun.
I was planning on playing NG+. Can you do it on a higher difficulty and how?

jett

D-Member

It's incredibly stupid.

It would be cheating almost to start off in a higher difficulty with shit unlocked. If you truly don't give a fuck then just play new game+ in a lower difficulty. :p

Vire

It would be cheating almost to start off in a higher difficulty with shit unlocked. If you truly don't give a fuck then just play new game+ in a lower difficulty. :p

No, I want the option to play Survivor with my gear. Is that so hard?

I said I don't care about trophies or anything like that, I've beaten the game twice, let me play how I want to play. If you don't want to give me "credit" for beating it this way, I really don't mind, just let me play how I want to.

kick51

Banned
I'm about 5 hours in. It's pretty. The story is pretty neat.

But I've done little more than hit a button to collect things, and mash melee to kill things. Some of the stealth is fun, but only one fairly memorable sequence so far. Gameplay is pretty meh to barely existent.

I apologize if this has been answered hundreds of times already, but at what point in NG+ do you get all of your weapons/equipment from the previous playthrough?

Superflat

I apologize if this has been answered hundreds of times already, but at what point in NG+ do you get all of your weapons/equipment from the previous playthrough?

Unfortunately you don't start with all your weapons, you get them in the same places in every playthrough. The only difference is that your upgrades are still there when you get them.

Hey is here someone who is a gifmaster?
It would be pretty cool if someone could add the faces of some MS and Nintendo execs onto these two infected and the faces of kaz and shu to Joel and Ellie and a Ps4 logo on the nail bomb.
The-Last-of-Us-Combat.gif

I know E3 gif time is over, but I would very much appreaciate that.

This game has to be sub 90FOV and it's really really annoying. I'm enjoying the game, but I can't play for long periods of time without getting motion sickness...

Why do companies continue to do less than 90 degree FOV?

Also is the weapon selection also mapped to L3 because I keep accidentally hitting it and it's really fucking things up when I have to pause to get that menu to go away...

How many hours do I have left, roughly? I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow and I'm wondering whether to just pound through it tonight or worry about it for when I get back. Playing it on hard.

"Cabin Resort." I just took back over control as Joel.

Just finished the game, what a ride! Definitely one of the best games I have played this generation.

Having said that, and like many others have already pointed out, I think the game is far from perfect. The game feels a bit too linear and the structure of the game seems to always be clearly divided between action set pieces and exploring/supply gathering. This in the end makes the game a bit predictable which reduces the tension unnecessarily.

Then, I think gameplay wise there are three somewhat big problems, the cover system, the puzzles and the enemy/side characters AI. Those have already been covered enough and are pretty obvious so I won't get into them.

And, storywise, I think it's a shame that they did not give NPCs something more to say. In a game with such a well crafted game world it really puts me off when I see all these NPCs just standing everywhere with which I cannot interact, it really ruins the inmersion. I know it's just an action game but sometimes it really seemed like I was getting to know the story more from the notes I was finding than from what the characters were telling me.

With all that said, this game is amazing, so much fun, and the setting, characters, graphics (for the most part), ART (I love the unlockable concept art, amazing) and sound are really something else.

And like somebody said, I really wish there is a prequel to this game, not a sequel.

jett

D-Member
How many hours do I have left, roughly? I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow and I'm wondering whether to just pound through it tonight or worry about it for when I get back. Playing it on hard.

"Cabin Resort." I just took back over control as Joel.

Two or three at the most.

Just finished the game, what a ride! Definitely one of the best games I have played this generation.

Having said that, and like many others have already pointed out, I think the game is far from perfect. The game feels a bit too linear and the structure of the game seems to always be clearly divided between action set pieces and exploring/supply gathering. This in the end makes the game a bit predictable which reduces the tension unnecessarily.

Then, I think gameplay wise there are three somewhat big problems, the cover system, the puzzles and the enemy/side characters AI. Those have already been covered enough and are pretty obvious so I won't get into them.

And, storywise, I think it's a shame that they did not give NPCs something more to say. In a game with such a well crafted game world it really puts me off when I see all these NPCs just standing everywhere with which I cannot interact, it really ruins the inmersion. I know it's just an action game but sometimes it really seemed like I was getting to know the story more from the notes I was finding than from what the characters were telling me.

With all that said, this game is amazing, so much fun, and the setting, characters, graphics (for the most part), ART (I love the unlockable concept art, amazing) and sound are really something else.

And like somebody said, I really wish there is a prequel to this game, not a sequel.

Ellie does the occasional sit on a crate or lean on a wall, there are the jokes and the optional dialogue, but I wonder if that has more to do with the memory constraint, in terms of dialogue, if they're constantly talking, that's a whole lot of dialogue they would have to record, I think in the QZ not everybody would want to talk to Joel, he's not exactly the most likeable guy.

RPGCrazied

Not even 3 hours into the game and it says I'm like 15% done, but it doesn't feel like I've been rushing. Does the counter slow down at all?

Dennis

Banned
Not even 3 hours into the game and it says I'm like 15% done, but it doesn't feel like I've been rushing. Does the counter slow down at all?

Yes. I was 24% early on and I was like "waaa, I am a quarter through already?" but now I am at 50% and 20 hours.......

Superflat

First three hours you're not doin a whole lot just yet so I can see how you can get through the first 15% somewhat quickly. Still, for a 15 hour-ish (on average) campaign, that's about right.

Ellie does the occasional sit on a crate or lean on a wall, there are the jokes and the optional dialogue, but I wonder if that has more to do with the memory constraint, in terms of dialogue, if they're constantly talking, that's a whole lot of dialogue they would have to record, I think in the QZ not everybody would want to talk to Joel, he's not exactly the most likeable guy.

I'm totally fine on how they portrayed the main NPCs, you get to know everything you need to know about them from cutscenes and, as you mentioned, some dialogue here and there. I was talking more about other characters in the game that just seem to stand there, I think it would have been nice that you could have a few lines of conversation with them. It's just nitpicking really, though.

EDIT: Actually, I just started new game plus and the way they handled the first minutes of the game (post intro) is exactly what I mean. Obviously they put a lot more attention to the first part of the game, as is logical, just wish they could've had time to flesh out the later parts likewise.

.GqueB.

Banned
My advice? Don't horde your ammo. If you don't enjoy the stealth game or throwing bricks, use your weapons. You will always find more stuff as you go and quite often people will drop ammo as you use yours. Don't be afraid to let loose, you will never get stuck because you are out of resources. I got over that style of playing games long ago. If you run out, then worry about stealthing and using bricks. (BTW, bricks/bottles really are too powerful in the game)

Gotta agree with this. Last night I looked around this one area and saw so many guys I just didn't have it in me to be stealthy so I just went in guns blazing. Also keep in mind that not everyone has weapons. A lot of people are carrying bats around. Being stealthy can be kind of boring and tedious in this game.

RPGCrazied

Yes. I was 24% early on and I was like "waaa, I am a quarter through already?" but now I am at 50% and 20 hours.......

Good to know! I try and explore every nook and cranny for stuff. This so my GOTY and I'm no where near half way I guess. The intro alone is so emotional and had my heart pounding in some spots. And thats just the intro.

So i'm watching Grounded when I hear the animation guy explain that all Joel's in game animations combined are limited to less than 5mb of ram.

5mb

Insane. And it really shows how hampered the ps3 is by its ram these days. Naughty Dog plus unified 8gb is going to be epicfor animations.

.GqueB.

Banned
Well Normal mode basically dumps a shitload of crafting items and ammo on you, essentially defeating the purpose and theme of "survival" and serious scavenging. Personally, I like the rush of getting by by the skin of my teeth, and I enjoy having to decide if I want to make a shiv or a nail bomb or a health kit or a Molotov. And trust me, you feel way "smarter" when you stalk someone out and end them without using Listen Mode. LM is basically cheating to me now.

Then again, Im on my fifth playthrough.

I don't get how listen mode is cheating. It's how normal human beings are. You can gain a really good idea of where someone is in a room if you simply listen. Turing it off is just bizarre to me because you're just kind of guessing. It's harder yes but it also feels like an artificial challenge. I get it, but it still seems a tad odd to me.

I mean can understand a good challenge. I played Arkham Asylum on hard and not having the counter prompts on forced me to be hyper aware of my surroundings. But turning listen mode off is like Joel plugging his ears for some random reason. May as well play with your eyes squinted too.

hal9001

Banned
Good to know! I try and explore every nook and cranny for stuff. This so my GOTY and I'm no where near half way I guess. The intro alone is so emotional and had my heart pounding in some spots. And thats just the intro.

It gets better when you get past the halfway mark, that's when things go to a whole different level.

Endo Punk

TLOU was so good that I wish it really doesn't get a sequel. It's done I don't think you can add anything drastic to the story without taking away the intimacy of the journey in the game. Just give me another new IP, hopefully inspired by
Savage Starlight
:D God I want ND to tackle a Science Fiction game.

N2NOther

Banned
Yes! Exactly what I wanted to do.

I was scared of Survivor without my gear. :lol

Thank you very much.
You don't have your gear. Just as much Joel supplemental upgrades as you had when you finished your initial play through. The weapons and crafting items and such come at the same point in the game as they always do. They'll have all the upgrades you put into them though.

Superflat

Heh, looked at a guide to see what every optional conversation was and looks like I only missed about two or three of them. Somehow I didn't realize that looking at certain objects automatically trigger some conversations too. I thought most were triggered by the NPCs themselves when you get within a certain vicinity of a talking piece.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
TLOU was so good that I wish it really doesn't get a sequel. It's done I don't think you can add anything drastic to the story without taking away the intimacy of the journey in the game. Just give me another new IP, hopefully inspired by
Savage Starlight
:D God I want ND to tackle a Science Fiction game.

I want more of this gameplay. And I want to see what they can do with it when they are splitting a pittance of memory among all their talented people. I want to see what they can do with animation when their only limits are the time and effort they're willing to spend on it, not bullshit memory restrictions.

(major spoilers ahead)

I
don't need more Joel and Ellie
, but I want more TLoU.

Wouldn't mind playing
as Ellie 10-15 years in the future

But I would also love a sci-fi game from them as well... especially if it was similarly weighty like TLoU. Could be any tone serious/satirical/etc, but I really want the weighty gameplay.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
That's the thing, I'm not really disliking the stealth, it just seems I'm padding the game to the point where it's overstaying its welcome by perhaps needlessly trying to be really efficient. I think I'm gonna stop restarting encounters for now and just go apeshit on the infected when I mess up.
My favourite way to play is to never hit restart. What happens, happens, and you have to live with that. Makes you more cautious but at the same time, when shit does hit the fan, more aggressive.

Stopped restarting myself because it started feeling too "gamey". There is no perfect run, no scoring, so shed your habits and just play.

Aurongel

I did the whole Survivor+ exploit and beat the game on Survivor+ which caused the survivor and survivor+ trophies to pop but not the one for hard. I blame my PS3 though, it hitched bad when I brought up the trophy menu to check on the trophies so that's probably the prime culprit.

Andrew.

Banned
I don't get how listen mode is cheating. It's how normal human beings are. You can gain a really good idea of where someone is in a room if you simply listen. Turing it off is just bizarre to me because you're just kind of guessing. It's harder yes but it also feels like an artificial challenge. I get it, but it still seems a tad odd to me.

I mean can understand a good challenge. I played Arkham Asylum on hard and not having the counter prompts on forced me to be hyper aware of my surroundings. But turning listen mode off is like Joel plugging his ears for some random reason. May as well play with your eyes squinted too.

I totally understand what you're saying, but turn it off and experience the difference, or at least try Survivor if you want or get the chance. It's like the equal to re4 on a clean Professional run in the fun factor and tension department. For me anyways.

I get the whole reasoning behind "Joel is really experienced in how he can hear shit from far away and tell where guys are" argument. Personally I preferred to experience the world like this without x-ray vision.

Endo Punk

So what are NPD sales expectations for TLOU? It pretty much had the whole month to itself and with such rave reviews and recognition amongst gamers I would at least expect 800k to a million.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Hey is here someone who is a gifmaster?
It would be pretty cool if someone could add the faces of some MS and Nintendo execs onto these two infected and the faces of kaz and shu to Joel and Ellie and a Ps4 logo on the nail bomb.
The-Last-of-Us-Combat.gif

I know E3 gif time is over, but I would very much appreaciate that.

Is...Is that gameplay or a cutscene? I can't tell if the "bomb" is a nail bomb the player placed or if that was actually a scene in the game that I have yet to see.

Blackthorn

I don't consider listen mode cheating (play how you like, not my concern) but I do consider it a crutch for those without good audio set ups. Which is smart, no reason to penalise certain players. If you do have good headphones or surround sound though, then you can easily replace listen mode with just, y'know, listening.

Yes. Play as if you are the character. Barely escaping a fucked-up encounter with your life and a shattered 2 by 4 or a single round left in the chamber is the game at its best.

This...this needs requoting. Just restarting for the sake of perfecting a scenario breaks the immersion for me. In my rush to rescue
Tess and Ellie, and Ellie (in some instances)
, I'm pretty sure I missed some items along the way. But cause I'm so immersed in it, I rushed ahead as quickly as I could.

I don't get how listen mode is cheating. It's how normal human beings are

I must be abnormal, I sure can't see outline of people through walls. :p

You can gain a really good idea of where someone is in a room if you simply listen.

That's why i use headphones and play in the dark when I'm playing this game. The immersion that I get is simply outstanding.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
THIS.
Tell that to Amir0x. I think he took around 52 hours to beat the game.
Amir0x is a beast but I'd love an explwnation how he got 52 hours out of this first playthrough!

Dany

Banned

Totally. Going through the encounter so you don't fuck up is lame-sauce and just leads to unnecessary frustration. Playing by the skin of your teeth as you strange a few guys, throw a Molotov and shotgun/melee the rest is beyond satisfying.

Blackthorn

Also worth noting that, with the exception of infected, it's entirely viable to return to stealth after being discovered. The AI is not psychic. I'd characterise my play style as aggressive stealth; killing grouped enemies swiftly and overtly, then going in to hiding to take out the next group.

A question, i bought TLOU from Amazon (new) and i have been playing on my Japanese account (70% complete). I tried going into MP tonight and it said i needed an online pass, however it doesn't work. Is it because i am playing on my JP account with a US game, is there a way to get around it?

Mikey Jr.

Being a mega thread maybe this has already been mentioned, but the game is currently sold out at most retailers where I live, Calgary. My buddy spoke to a Future Shop employee who said they only received approx. 20 copies which of course sold out quickly.

Is this Sony trying to get people on the online buying train, poor sales forecasting, or they just couldn't make enough copies? The conspiracy theorist in me thinks they are trying to squeeze out those direct download dolla's and get people primed to buy games online for PS4.

I truly fucking believe in my heart that Sony under delivered this game in Canada. I had the EXACT same problem in Ontario.

This is my theory.

-Sony (and game companies) often test in Canada, to see how we take to the product/service. We are a good sample size for the USA since we are pretty much the same, just smaller.

-Sony wanted to test what percentage of Canadians would download TLOU if forced with that option.

-They intentionally constrained the amount of copies sent to Canada.

-They probably have data on what this game would have sold in retail (probably 10% of what is sold in USA).

-Sony can use one of their own games (their own IP, so they can do with the game what they choose)

-They can see that if Canadians are forced with the option of having to download instead of a boxed copy, we will download the game (or not, dont know the data)
-If the figures are good for Sony, that means they can send less copies to retail, and have people download the games instead, giving Sony a bigger slice of the game pie that usually go to retailers while still appeasing retailers.

This is my theory. I downloaded the game when I wasn't able to find it in stores. No fucking way my store sold out of ALL their copies. Sony intentionally restrained the game. That much is crystal fucking clear.

Top Bottom