• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

1upmuffin

Oh i forgot to mention my last complaint about the game. I really don't like how it limits your movement speed sometimes. Naughty Dog has been doing this type of stuff since Jak and Daxter when they sometimes disable your double jump without telling you. I don't like games taking control away from you just so they can slow down the pace or lead up to some scripted moment. One part, won't mention specifics, I was running at a standard pace then instantly I could only walk and I immediately thought "oh something scripted is gonna happen in a few seconds", and it did. It makes the intense scripted scenes less intense because you can see them coming a mile away.

MrDenny

Does anyone know why when I start a new game plus it doesn't let me choose any difficulty other than easy?
Only easy is highlighted and it doesn't let me choose the other options.

.GqueB.

Banned
I must be abnormal, I sure can't see outline of people through walls. :p

Y... you can't?... oh...

oh...

But I may try playing with listen mode off because I'm curious. I'm just not a big fan of artificial difficulty. I always do some research on the hard mode of games before I buy. I want to know that the difficulty was something that made the game more fun not just longer. Like in uncharted it just means more enemies that can take more bullets. Arkham Asylum did it right... sooooooooo right. I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

But I'm curious about how the experience is changed for sure. I don't exactly lean on it personally. I use it to know that I can more or less run ahead rather than crouch walking through an area I don't have to. I'd get tired of that pretty quickly.

Does anyone know why when I start a new game plus it doesn't let me choose any difficulty other than easy?
Only easy is highlighted and it doesn't let me choose the other options.
Did you only beat it on Easy the first time? Its what I did and I couldn't jump up a difficulty for NG+ without using the Chapter Select exploit.

Got the game today, and tried to save it but ended up a little while back :/

Tried to search how to save properly and potentially got the end of the game ruined for me.

yay internet

Oh i forgot to mention my last complaint about the game. I really don't like how it limits your movement speed sometimes. Naughty Dog has been doing this type of stuff since Jak and Daxter when they sometimes disable your double jump without telling you. I don't like games taking control away from you just so they can slow down the pace or lead up to some scripted moment. One part, won't mention specifics, I was running at a standard pace then instantly I could only walk and I immediately thought "oh something scripted is gonna happen in a few seconds", and it did. It makes the intense scripted scenes less intense because you can see them coming a mile away.

my frustration for that is because I want to walk rather than run so I often just move the analog stick halfway when suddenly I realize you can't run at certain places. lol

Darknight

Did you only beat it on Easy the first time? Its what I did and I couldn't jump up a difficulty for NG+ without using the Chapter Select exploit.

Question. If I do the exploit and change the difficulty on after the 1st chapter, can you still get the trophy if you beat it that way on the new difficulty.

Example, beat it on normal. Do exploit, change difficulty to survival. Beat game this way. Will hard trophy unlock? Thanx.

antitrop

Got the game today, and tried to save it but ended up a little while back :/

Tried to search how to save properly and potentially got the end of the game ruined for me.

yay internet

As someone who has finished the game, I don't really know how to ruin it for you in one succinct sentence or anything. It's a deep and complex game and I think many spoilers would be more confusing than revealing without context.

Feel free to PM me what you read and I can try to ease your conscience.

Scrabble

Basically the game is at its best when your "plan" goes to shit

Pretty much, cant understand those who say the combat is bland or bad. It's one of the most dynamic and engaging games I've played. It's one of the few games where you just impulsively act in the moment and are constantly improvising. Engaging and then retreating, hitting them from another angle, getting snuck up on and having to reaproach and improvise.

Question. If I do the exploit and change the difficulty on after the 1st chapter, can you still get the trophy if you beat it that way on the new difficulty.

Example, beat it on normal. Do exploit, change difficulty to survival. Beat game this way. Will hard trophy unlock? Thanx.
Still making my through so I can't confirm but I am going to guess that, yes, all lower difficulty Trophies will unlock that way. Don't forget to replay the Prologue on that difficulty though.

MrDenny

I only put it on easy for one part of the game I was stuck on, but then put it on hard and finished the game on hard.
If I start on easy and change to survivor, will it count as me finishing it on survivor?
I don't want to start on easy and then change it through options to survivor only for it to register me finishing it on easy.

I think Naughty Dog was going for the, "Enter City 17" vibe with the intro but it wasn't as good at all.

Bioshock Infinite has a better intro for sure.

OG Kush

Anyone gt any good gameplay videos of how to play this game on hard with listen mode off? I don't know if i'm playing this wrong as I'm trying to be all metal gear and never be seen/heard while killing everyone. Is this impossible? Need to make sure if how I'm playing is going to be feasible in this game.

Anyone gt any good gameplay videos of how to play this game on hard with listen mode off? I don't know if i'm playing this wrong as I'm trying to be all metal gear and never be seen/heard while killing everyone. Is this impossible? Need to make sure if how I'm playing is going to be feasible in this game.

It's feasible. Protip: when you have killed the last enemy in an area Joel or Ellie will usually make a comment.

I only put it on easy for one part of the game I was stuck on, but then put it on hard and finished the game on hard.
If I start on easy and change to survivor, will it count as me finishing it on survivor?
I don't want to start on easy and then change it through options to survivor only for it to register me finishing it on easy.
The game only registers the lowest difficulty you have beaten ALL chapters on so you would have to beat all outstanding chapters on Hard or Survivor for any Trophy to pop.

I am a n00b gamer and I am blazing through the game on Hard. I had some trouble with the demo but that's about it. I think you need a good sound system for this game. That way you can hear enemies coming and react accordingly. I haven't seen a single gameplay vid of the listening mode or even thought about using it :p

MrDenny

The game only registers the lowest difficulty you have beaten ALL chapters on so you would have to beat all outstanding chapters on Hard or Survivor for any Trophy to pop.
That sucks, but I still don't understand why the game won't let me choose any other difficulties on my new game plus. Doesn't make sense.
I guess I'll just start a new game without new game plus.

kingocfs

As others ITT have already said, I think this game shines when your plan to be stealthy and silently clear the area is ruined and you need to think on your toes. I'm not convinced ND designed some of these areas with the idea of there being one or two concrete ways to stealth through it, so trying to get through the game this way will probably make it way less enjoyable.

OG Kush

As others ITT have already said, I think this game shines when your plan to be stealthy and silently clear the area is ruined and you need to think on your toes. I'm not convinced ND designed some of these areas with the idea of there being one or two concrete ways to stealth through it, so trying to get through the game this way will probably make it way less enjoyable.

Yeh I think I'm going to have to do it like this. Right now all I'm trying to do is use bricks, melee weapons and strangle everybody. Maybe I'm being stingy with my ammo and need to create sound sometime.

As someone who has finished the game, I don't really know how to ruin it for you in one succinct sentence or anything. It's a deep and complex game and I think many spoilers would be more confusing than revealing without context.

sent

That sucks, but I still don't understand why the game won't let me choose any other difficulties on my new game plus. Doesn't make sense.
I guess I'll just start a new game without new game plus.
My guess is that NG+ gives you a bit of an unfair advantage on higher difficulties, negating a bit of the game being harder.

And the Chapter Select exploit works for a NG+ so do that.

kick51

Banned
I don't get how listen mode is cheating. It's how normal human beings are. You can gain a really good idea of where someone is in a room if you simply listen. Turing it off is just bizarre to me because you're just kind of guessing. It's harder yes but it also feels like an artificial challenge. I get it, but it still seems a tad odd to me.

I mean can understand a good challenge. I played Arkham Asylum on hard and not having the counter prompts on forced me to be hyper aware of my surroundings. But turning listen mode off is like Joel plugging his ears for some random reason. May as well play with your eyes squinted too.

It's not cheating to me at all. What, I'm just gonna keep running into each open part of the screen and see which one isn't in the line of sight of some hidden enemy?

I don't have that great of an audio set up and in a lot of situations, NPC attention is very binary in this game, you're either fucked or you get by perfectly. So I don't see anything wrong with using my bro-sonar

Vodh

It's feasible. Protip: when you have killed the last enemy in an area Joel or Ellie will usually make a comment.

Also, I didn't pay much attention to this before, but if you keep stealthing, the last enemy you kill in the area gets a 'loud' kill instead of a strangle regardless of stealth. Might not be as useful as the comment/partner cues, but it's something.

destrudo

I just finished the game on survivor where there is no listen mode and I'd say it's very manageable, it makes the game even more immersive really. Not having listen mode makes it feel less gamey, if that makes sense. You have to really move cautiously and listen to where footsteps are coming from, and when you do mess up and get surprised it forces you improvise more. Also, whenever Ellie points out an enemies location, 'there's one behind you', it really makes you love the game even more.

Also, I didn't pay much attention to this before, but if you keep stealthing, the last enemy you kill in the area gets a 'loud' kill instead of a strangle regardless of stealth. Might not be as useful as the comment/partner cues, but it's something.
Ah yes. I forgot about this one.

destrudo

Oh i forgot to mention my last complaint about the game. I really don't like how it limits your movement speed sometimes.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I'm on my third replay and the fact that you have to walk/jog through a lot of areas slows down the pace I want to play at. The game is really long too which gets a little annoying when you just want to get on with it. You also can't skip in game cutscenes either which can get a little tiresome. I don't think it works as well when you just want to play the game.

I think this is begging for a horde mode of some kind. I find the pace never really gets intense enough, with only the winter section really nailing the kind of tension I wanted. My favorite moments throughout the story are where you're completely overwhelmed, struggling to manage your resources while taking out enemies as quickly as you can. When it's at it's best the game can be fucking exhilarating.

Vodh

Joel and Ellie live through the entire game.
There, ending spoiled. Doesn't matter if it's confusing, it alters the perception of the game and it
diminishes tension of certain parts.

Winter spoiler:
Take the deer hunt for example. I believed that was supposed to be the last scene of the game and that Joel is dead, that we're just seeing Ellie and ND just gave us this scene as means of partial closure, something like 'she's going to be fine on her own', and that's it.

Ending spoiler:
Or Joel's choice in the ending. We don't really know until we see Ellie in the car that he actually went all the way through with it. Knowing from the get-go that he did manage to save her would have removed most of the tension from this scene. And that's not even taking scenarios such as 'Joel being caught with Ellie in his arms and killed', which to some did look like it might actually be the true ending.

I don't understand people who think spoilers are this all or nothing kind of thing. Some people don't get bothered by spoilers and I don't have a problem with that, some people even enjoy them. But the inability to understand that even the reveal of some details, even if they're removed from context /mid-game spoiler/
Like the fact that you get to play as Ellie.
is something that would have a negative impact on some people's experience is really strange to me.

It's like saying that it doesn't really matter if some stranger spits on your pizza, you've still got 6 pieces without spit on them.

(just a general rant from someone allergic to spoilers, not aiming any guns at you personally ;p) (and yeah, I know that media blackout is the solution for people like me, and I absolutely do it if there's a game/book/movie I think I'd like to enjoy a pure first experience with. Just getting it out there, there are people who fucking hate even minor spoilers)

mrpeabody

I'm at 60%. This game is like MGS and Thief and RE4 and HL2 had a love child and then they added fuck-you graphics and amazing writing and literally the best voice acting in any game, ever.

It's not perfect, but boy is it close.

Cartman86

Banned
It's fun (and painful) to have played the game yourself and then watch lets play's where the person ignores everything but the critical path and doesn't stealth at the beginning. Eventually they learn that there is shit lying around so they start investigating, but I feel like you get inside the head of the developers when watching other people. There is a room in particular that everyone seems to miss.

destrudo

Anyone else find
Nolan North's
performance the only odd one out? I generally really like what he does, but here he sounds too much like he's putting on a creepy bad guy voice.

Edit: I don't know why I spoiler tagged that, I'm kind of paranoid in this thread I guess. I don't want to spoil anything for anyone.

Darknight

Pay for it.

It used to be included with the game ffs.

Any like it was posted, you cant buy it separately and its only in the season pass which is a joke.

Oh and you do not need the Hearing thing to enjoy the game. I played it normal and turned it off. I would never use it, instead they should of added a leaning system to that button.

likewiise

Neo Member
My favourite way to play is to never hit restart. What happens, happens, and you have to live with that. Makes you more cautious but at the same time, when shit does hit the fan, more aggressive.

Stopped restarting myself because it started feeling too "gamey". There is no perfect run, no scoring, so shed your habits and just play.

Perfect way to play for me also. At first when I would try to stealth a section and mess up I'd be tempted to restart the encounter but always JUST scrapped through those sections with movement and aggression then switching things up.

The combat is so dynamic and probably one of the best examples of a single player game were retreating and reassessing a situation is really encouraged.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Sneaking "Is not [Joel's] style" remember... I play him like a brute. It's more fun. And fits the narrative of the game better imo.

I don't consider TLoU to be a stealth game at all really...

Basically the game is at its best when your "plan" goes to shit

So true, but my deep-seated gaming OCD and years of prior experiences have conditioned me to think that pulling off your "plan" = most fun/satisfaction, which really isn't the case with TLoU.

INNER STRUGGLEZ.

Stillmatic

iP2N4Qq1H7p7A.gif

If it's too big for some, I'll just link it. Or just move it to the screenshot thread. :p

Neiteio

It's fun (and painful) to have played the game yourself and then watch lets play's where the person ignores everything but the critical path and doesn't stealth at the beginning. Eventually they learn that there is shit lying around so they start investigating, but I feel like you get inside the head of the developers when watching other people. There is a room in particular that everyone seems to miss.
I'm curious, which room is it that people seem to miss? Because I felt like I was thorough (~21 hours first playthrough, ~18 hours second playthrough), yet I still am missing collectibles. :-\

Please PM me, on the off-chance I don't see your response in this busy thread!

Cartman86

Banned
I'm curious, which room is it that people seem to miss? Because I felt like I was thorough (~21 hours first playthrough, ~18 hours second playthrough), yet I still am missing collectibles. :-\

Please PM me, on the off-chance I don't see your response in this busy thread!

If you were looking around a lot you probably found it. When you first
fight the infected with Tess you have to go up some stairs to get outside. Right before the hole in the wall that is the exit on the left is an opening to a room.
I've watched 3 let's plays and every time the person runs past it to the exit. If I recall correctly there is a note in there about
the people who got infected by sneaking out.

Top Bottom