• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

How could one even complain about the AI? The dynamic AI was frikkin' awesome and kept surprising me all the time. The fact that enemies keep following you to new areas is brilliant. I never felt safe, which was the point of the game.

Yeah, the only time the AI made a flub for me was at the beginning of the game when Marlene circled around a hiding spot and ended up crouching directly in front of a soldier who pretended she didn't exist.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Really digging this game, I'm on
spring with 93% completion
so I'm closing in on the end. I've gotten to the
underground tunnel, filled with clickers and infected, with the St. Mary's hospital presumably at the end of it.

I can get past most of these guys with stealth kills just fine but when I get to the area with 2 bloaters and x amount of infected/clickers around, I get mobbed to death every time. A couple times I've just tried running to the downed bus to boost Ellie over it but it won't prompt I guess as long as I'm fighting someone.

Is it possible to sneak past the bloaters or do you HAVE to kill them to move forward? I don't have any molotovs and definitely won't have enough ammo to gun down two of these things.

Do you still have
flamethrower
ammo?

Just finished the part where
Tess dies
. I'm really liking this so far. Apart from the terrible companion AI when using stealth the AI works really well IMO. Had a great moment just now, where I was busy checking something out and suddenly Ellie whispers: "Joel to your left". If she hasn't said anything they would have detected me, but this way I was able to hide quickly.

Many great moments like that.

Evolved1

Eeek. Well I guess 12 hours is better than what most games have in this genre.

Idk man... check your save file for the percentage. At your speed, I bet you missed of ton of collectibles and stuff.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Finished it with 26 hours, 30 minutes and 42 seconds. Amazing game, totally worth of all the praise.

This amazes me.

How in the world did you get a playtime THAT long??

I hit 14 hours when I finished and I thought I was taking my time. WITCHCRAFT!

Evolved1

This amazes me.

How in the world did you get a playtime THAT long??

I hit 14 hours when I finished and I thought I was taking my time. WITCHCRAFT!

I took just shy of 28 my first time through on hard/no listen.

Says 42%, but I try an explore every nook an cranny, even got stuck in a couple spots for like 20 minutes.

Are you playing on normal with LM?

That would probably speed up the game quite a bit.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
I took 28 my first time through on hard/no listen.

Bep5rAx.gif

Mrbob

Just finished the part where
Tess dies
. I'm really liking this so far. Apart from the terrible companion AI when using stealth the AI works really well IMO. Had a great moment just now, where I was busy checking something out and suddenly Ellie whispers: "Joel to your left". If she hasn't said anything they would have detected me, but this way I was able to hide quickly.

Many great moments like that.

Yeah, those situations are cool. One time as Joel I was stalking a human, and all of a sudden I get put in a choke hold by a different human who was stalking me. I'm jamming on square to break loose when I hear Ellie scream, "Get off of Him!". The camera zooms out, she takes her blade and stabs the guy in the shoulder who had Joel in the choke hold. Then I turn around as Joel and knock the guy out with a couple punches. Ellie then walks towards the body, looks down, and says, "Fucker." Pretty cool moment.

Evolved1

Oh well, I'll try an go slower, and maybe when I play again I'll play on a harder mode with no LM. I just want to enjoy the story first time.

Oh I'm not criticizing how you play... just saying that's probably why you're cruising through it.

Loomer

Was curious to see how far I could get into the game without guns/bow, ended up beating the game that way on Hard, did not have to fire a single bullet/arrow, aside from 2 or 3 scripted parts. So damn intense, especially with the insane jump-out-of-your-seat audio.

Truly felt like a survival game, definitely don't regret having done my first playthrough this way.

GolazoDan

Played it on normal, gonna do my normal+, then the hard work begins. Considering hard -> survivor -> survivor+. Probably use the normal+ as the collectible run.

If I'm no good at the game by the time I start that survivor run I'll never be of that standard.

Was curious to see how far I could get into the game without guns/bow, ended up beating the game that way on Hard, did not have fire a single bullet/arrow, aside from 2 or 3 scripted parts. So damn intense, especially with the insane jump-out-of-your-seat audio.

Truly felt like a survival game, definitely don't regret having done my first playthrough this way.

Amazing, did you used bricks/bottles to distract enemies?

RPGCrazied

Nice, it has a new game plus? So I can play a harder mode with all my stuff from my last game? Looks like there is a trophy to beat a new game plus mode too.

Dingotech

underground tunnel, filled with clickers and infected, with the St. Mary's hospital presumably at the end of it.

I can get past most of these guys with stealth kills just fine but when I get to the area with 2 bloaters and x amount of infected/clickers around, I get mobbed to death every time. A couple times I've just tried running to the downed bus to boost Ellie over it but it won't prompt I guess as long as I'm fighting someone.

Is it possible to sneak past the bloaters or do you HAVE to kill them to move forward? I don't have any molotovs and definitely won't have enough ammo to gun down two of these things.

Personally I've found you need to clear out all the enemies in that section to move forward. Somebody else might correct me on that though.

The best way I've found of clearing the area is
to stealth kill as many of the infected as possible around the area, then climb up on the top of the truck overlooking the two bloaters. Chuck down a bottle or brick in the middle of them and other infected will come running over, now throw a molotov in the middle of them all and watch them all burn. From here drop down and either shoot the remaining enemies including bloaters while they're black, or whip out the flamethrower and make short work of them.

EDIT - Ok people confirming below you can stealth your way through. However my method above is really simple if you take your time, I used it on survivor mode with 1 try.

someday

Banned

I managed to stealth through that entire section. Just move really slowly and you can go right by them. It would have taken me hours to kill all of them had they noticed me.

SRG01

I snuck past those guys no problem...? You don't have to kill those bloaters.

kingocfs

I snuck past those guys no problem...? You don't have to kill those bloaters.

Yeah
definitely not. A well placed brick to distract them once you're against the wall facing the room with idle runners was enough for me to get by easily, but I'm sure you could just carefully sneak past everything without using anything at all.

Dingotech

Nice, it has a new game plus? So I can play a harder mode with all my stuff from my last game? Looks like there is a trophy to beat a new game plus mode too.

The game technically only lets you do new game + on the same difficulty you started your playthrough on.

However there is a method to play a higher difficulty on new game +.

Steps:
1. Start new game plus
2. Complete first chapter
3. Save and Exit to the main menu
4. Choose Chapter Select and select the first chapter "Hometown"
5. Choose Survivor difficulty and Complete the game.Enjoy!

RPGCrazied

The game technically only lets you do new game + on the same difficulty you started your playthrough on.

However there is a method to play a higher difficulty on new game +.

Steps:
1. Start new game plus
2. Complete first chapter
3. Save and Exit to the main menu
4. Choose Chapter Select and select the first chapter "Hometown"
5. Choose Survivor difficulty and Complete the game.Enjoy!

Ok, cool. Do you get to keep all your gear too?

TripOpt55

My favourite way to play is to never hit restart. What happens, happens, and you have to live with that. Makes you more cautious but at the same time, when shit does hit the fan, more aggressive.

Stopped restarting myself because it started feeling too "gamey". There is no perfect run, no scoring, so shed your habits and just play.

Yeah I liked having to improvise when I screwed up. More fun that way to me. Edit: This post was a few pages back... haha. Didn't realize I wasn't on the most recent page... oops!

Loomer

Amazing, did you used bricks/bottles to distract enemies?

Mostly used them to stun ennemies so I could finish them off. Didn't really sneak past ennemies because I collected everything I could find. You really need molotovs/bombs against
Bloaters
if you're not gonna shoot at them.

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
do we know how many copies have the game sold so far? im very interested in this because i really want this to become a franchise

RPGCrazied

I think it's just your Joel upgrades, and weapon upgrades.

Aww.. no fun, I wanted to face roll everything with my weapons in early parts of the game. :p

But this game looks really good, not many PS3 games look this good. I haven't seen any LOD issues, no tearing, even has some sort of AA going on. Sure still has jaggies, but still looks pretty impressive. Naughty Dog knows how to program on PS3, they aren't joking around when they release a PS3 game.

Wow where do you live if you don't mind me asking?

Palmdale, CA. We've been having a bit of a heat wave the last week, with temps ranging from 100-110; though not too much hotter from the regular summertime temps, my place is insulated about as well as a cardboard box, which means I have to run the air all day.

It's not an AC though -- it's a swamp cooler -- and the only vent is right in the living room, 6ft from the TV; when it's on, it's like driving 70mph with the windows down.

Zen

Banned
Thanks for the tip, I'll pass it on!

Interesting "coincidence". Did anyone in other countries have this problem?

I still like to buy retail copies of console games, there isn't much of an advantage is buying digital at this point unless you get a better price, which isn't happening on the consoles these days.

Being a junior I don't have thread making powers, but I would be curious to see if people in general would be willing to buy a digital only copy over retail disc copy if other companies pull this stunt with their games. I seem to recall someone mention Nintendo pulling a similar stunt with a 3DS game recently.

After calling everywhere I was told that it's virtually sold out nation wide, so something was fucked up. The re-orders are a lot higher than normal though to compensate. I ended up downloading it and don't really have any regrets, it's not like I'd ever trade it in anyway.

Superflat

I just one-shot killed every runner I could spot with a bow and arrow(there's around five of them in the open) and I got past by sneaking through the remaining bloaters and clickers.

Used that method in every playthrough. hassle free, and I have insurance, lol

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Only 22% and 4 hours in (Hard, Listen Off). Man is this game fucking tense. The checkpoint system can be a tad frustrating, example:
in the underground part of Boston with all the shops, I get sneak successfully to the gate and shiv the clicker there. Have no idea where I am supposed to go and back track all around the station and in doing so find out about the safe/combination for 50 parts. Get that and then die. Checkpoint sets me right at the gate sans 50 parts. By the game doing this I figured this must be where we get out and I see the ladder finally. But I had to backtrack all over again to get those parts. My escape was awesome though, all the enemies were on alert after seeing a body and I just had to print for my life out of there.

Soooo good.

Superflat

Only 22% and 4 hours in (Hard, Listen Off). Man is this game fucking tense. The checkpoint system can be a tad frustrating, example:
in the underground part of Boston with all the shops, I get sneak successfully to the gate and shiv the clicker there. Have no idea where I am supposed to go and back track all around the station and in doing so find out about the safe/combination for 50 parts. Get that and then die. Checkpoint sets me right at the gate sans 50 parts. By the game doing this I figured this must be where we get out and I see the ladder finally. But I had to backtrack all over again to get those parts. My escape was awesome though, all the enemies were on alert after seeing a body and I just had to print for my life out of there.

Soooo good.

some checkpoints were brutal to me.

*SPOILER from late game*
Namely after Ellie's horse gets shot and she has to get through the coastal houses and to the lodge.

Doing that section in stealth was time consuming and it's a lot of ground to cover, so dying right at the cusp of the next checkpoint and starting way at the beginning was disheartening, especially because I got close so many times. It resulted in one of the most heart-pounding, intense experiences when I actually got through though.

sense

do we know how many copies have the game sold so far? im very interested in this because i really want this to become a franchise

na they haven't released any numbers for some reason. they obviously are selling very well but maybe sony is waiting for it to hit a certain target idk or NPD. on amazon it just moved past black ops 2 in the US to become the best selling game title of 2013. plus there were many reports of game being sold out at many stores plus the digital sales seem to be really good with a lot of ratings already more than ac3 did in 6 months which has been discounted many times as well. there definitely will be a sequel after this and i don't think it is will be the same characters though or atleast i don't want it to be.

Possum

Just got home from a month-long family vacation and immediately started playing this. About three and a half hours in so far and loving it. Everything is so fantastic, I feel like it would be redundant to even bother pointing out what I love about it.

P.S. I wonder where Drake is in all of this...

Just entered Lincoln to meet Bill and I'm just sneaking around a house and suddenly I hear a weird sound and almost shit my pants expecting a clicker....but it is just Ellie trying to whistle lol

This game is awesome!

CLEEK

Completed it last night. Stuff about the ending:

For a brief second, I though the ending was amazing and unexpected. After I picked Ellie up from the operation table, I was swarmed by soldiers. One said to the others not to shoot, so I figured I had to use Ellie as a shield to protect us both. I was walking backwards, trying to find an exit. Joel is starting to panic, the music is getting more sombre, so I figure this isn't going to end well. After a couple of minutes of this, a soldier runs up grabs Ellie from me, and Joel falls to the ground. I was expecting s cutscene or something to start, but the soldier just blows Joel's brains out. Holy fuck! What an ending.

But then the game restarts from the last checkpoint and I realise that I must be able to escape, so just leg it and find the lift to freedom.

So the actual, upbeat(ish) ending was a shock. I don't want a sequel, as I don't even want Ellie to find out the truth. As the credits rolled, I just felt sad that one day she'll find out, and it will break both of their hearts.

My sadness passed as soon as I saw one of the names on the credits was Bum Ho-Lee. I laughed out loud, and went to bed giggling about it.

ascii42

Completed it last night. Stuff about the ending:

So the actual, upbeat(ish) ending was a shock. I don't want a sequel, as I don't even want Ellie to find out the truth. As the credits rolled, I just felt sad that one day she'll find out, and it will break both of their hearts.

She already knows he's lying. The look on her face says it all, and the writers have confirmed it. The only real major thing she wouldn't be able to guess on her own was that Marlene was there and Joel killed her.

khaaan

I was on the fence for the season pass because I was only interested in the documentary and the DLC and I have to say...I'm okay with shelling out the $20, that was a great video. Still, I haven't had my fill of the game yet so I've been thinking of buying the comic.

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/1616552123/

So wiki says that there are four issues with the final one coming at the end of this month. Is the item in the link all four issues in one? The description only says that it's the first one but at the same time it says that the item hasn't been released.

I'm at halfway and have clocked 15.5 hours, so I may end up in the 30 club.

Ellie may end up the first kid in a story-heavy game that hasn't irritated me once.

I was on the fence for the season pass because I was only interested in the documentary and the DLC and I have to say...I'm okay with shelling out the $20, that was a great video. Still, I haven't had my fill of the game yet so I've been thinking of buying the comic.

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/1616552123/

So wiki says that there are four issues with the final one coming at the end of this month. Is the item in the link all four issues in one? The description only says that it's the first one but at the same time it says that the item hasn't been released.

That video is definitely worth $20 alone. Area5 did a great job following the team and editing it into an amazing documentary/film.

tengiants

I picked this game up and hate it. The story seems pretty good but overall it just feels very anti-game to me. I guess there's room for it in the ps3 library but this just isn't what I seek in a videogame experience. It's actually very far from it.

I feel like stories like this should be left for TV/movies. No matter how good the gameplay is, it's going to seem very tedious when I just want to see the story.

So far, its not really the 10/10 experience all the critics have been saying. It feels like a grittier version of Uncharted. I've hit slow frame rates at times and during some of the cutscenes the screen blinks a couple of times. I've also hit a few glitches.
Its good, don't get me wrong, but not the "game of the generation" so many claim it to be.

I'm at halfway and have clocked 15.5 hours, so I may end up in the 30 club.

I'm halfway through and clocked 6 hours.
Also, I've been pretty thorough in my searches.

Top Bottom