• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

I'm curious, how do you guys play an area or handle those enemies?

I finished the game at 12~ hours, did alot of stealth kills, searched almost every area for loots, died alot of times too. Although I got lucky a few times that I run off a bunch of enemies to save supplies and such.

I'm honestly just slow. Between roaming around and trying to finish almost every encounter in stealth, that's just how it's played out. I've also just yesterday finally decided to stop dying and restarting encounters to save resources. I dunno if that pads your time or not.

AAK

Before I start my second playthough, what is the difference between starting a new game and new game+? Do I start with all the supplies I had in the prevoius game? And can I only start a new game+ in the same difficulty setting or can I jump to a new one?

Fuck.

I'm sitting here at work completely exhausted and unproductive because I made the stupid decision to play some TLOU last night instead of waiting for the weekend.

I thought I'd get a quick hour of play in before my 10:00pm bedtime and the next thing I knew I looked at my phone and it was 5:00 a.m.

At 97% completion and right now this game is looking like it might dethrone Dark Souls as my GOTG. Need to finish this game off before I lose my job.

trustter

I finished the game and I didn't not get that many trophies. I don't like to check the trophies list until I finish the game first round.

Did you guys get more than 5% on the first play-through?

Does anyone else play the game like me - Go into each encounter with the best intentions of using stealth, taking down one or two guys, get seen and then just think "fuck it" and pull out the molly's? The only time I restart encounters is if I'm particularly low on ammo.

Also, I think the infected encounters are a lot more about tactics where as the human encounters are a lot more about skill. I'm at Winter now - I'm hoping there comes a point where the two collide (as suggestged in the original reveal trailer) because this hasn't happened yet to my knowledge (outside of scripted bits). I don't want anyone to tell me if it does! I'm just registering my hope.

Paganmoon

GAF, I am stuck at 50%.............because I am busy at work!

What do?

Quit your job, problem solved.

I finished the game and I didn't not get that many trophies. I don't like to check the trophies list until I finish the game first round.

Nope, I think that's normal, there are no real story trophies, only upgrade and collectibles IIRC, so a second playthrough is usually needed for more trophies, but just incase, don't check them anyway, (I didn't either for fear of spoilage hehe).

I think it's time for my 2nd play through overall, with Survivor NG+.

Never gotten so worked up emotionally over a game before, even the intro music gives me the feels... Almost have to psyche myself out just to play it again.

Multiplayer is a different story. Put in about 8 hours there so far, love it.

trustter

Quit your job, problem solved.

Nope, I think that's normal, there are no real story trophies, only upgrade and collectibles IIRC, so a second playthrough is usually needed for more trophies, but just incase, don't check them anyway, (I didn't either for fear of spoilage hehe).

Thank you sir! I'll start my second turn just after check the MP a bit.

I got used to Uncharted that you get tons of trophies on the first play.

flyover

I think ND wanted few trophies for first-timer, so they wouldn't be that obtrusive.

I actually waited to play this game until the new, fixed PS3 firmware came out, just so I could disable trophy notifications for it -- just on the off-chance some were awkwardly placed.

beat the game yesterday. The ending was
touching and lovely...but man that last encounter in the hospital with the armor wearing goons was TOUGH

will this game get any single player DLC? Really looking forward to the PS4 version

beat the game yesterday. The ending was
touching and lovely...but man that last encounter in the hospital with the armor wearing goons was TOUGH

will this game get any single player DLC? Really looking forward to the PS4 version

Single player DLC has been confirmed. And I highly doubt there will be a PS4 version.

Danny-Boy

Just finished it, what a ride. The whole time I was playing it I felt that it was a great game that deserved at least a 9. It wasn't until I finished it that I thought the game deserved a 10. The story kept me hooked and the gameplay is perfect. I have faith in gaming again.

Oh, and a big middle finger to Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite for almost turning me off gaming.

khaaan

Before I start my second playthough, what is the difference between starting a new game and new game+? Do I start with all the supplies I had in the prevoius game? And can I only start a new game+ in the same difficulty setting or can I jump to a new one?

You only start off with your upgrades. So if you upgraded the clip capacity of your rifle, the rifle you pick up in game will come with those upgrades. Similarly, Joel will come already upgraded with whatever you spent the pills on.

There's a glitch that allows you to jump difficulty settings. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but all you have to do is start a new game+, finish the first "chapter" of the game, save, quit, start a new game on the harder difficulty and it'll be considered a new game+.

Just finished it, what a ride. The whole time I was playing it I felt that it was a great game that deserved at least a 9. It wasn't until I finished it that I thought the game deserved a 10. The story kept me hooked and the gameplay is perfect. I have faith in gaming again.

Oh, and a big middle finger to Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite for almost turning me off gaming.

Ha, I felt a bit like that after Dishonored.

I will always be thankful to Mass Effect for reigniting my love of gaming :D

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Yeah, you can definitely see that he puts his stride into the swing. However, maybe it's just the animation that looks like he's doing more damage. But I'm pretty sure some guys went down with just one hit. If that's the case, it could really change my play style, since each melee weapon would essentially be tripled in life (at the expense of making even more noise I guess)

It is more powerful. If you stun them first with a team brick/bottle throw, it's a OHK. Otherwise it just takes them off their feet (if they are full health) and you can switch to weapon for instant headshot (it auto-targets their face! lol).

Thank god there isn't that many Uncharted like shooting section...I am in one of them now and it sucks and fuck the 3 minute long(I know I am exagerating :p )animation when Joel gets hit by a bullet,I hate that shit lol...awesome game so far though...

That is actually one of my favorite parts of the game. I love it.

I'm debating whether or not I want to play Bioshock Infinite right after having beaten TLOU not that long ago....

I played Infinite before TLoU and quit from boredom about halfway through. I'm not going to speak to ill of it, but I wasn't a fan. Not at all.

I will always be thankful to Mass Effect for reigniting my love of gaming :D

I just almost choked and drowned on my coffee lol... amazing post man.

(actually, to be fair I guess the first one was pretty groovy back then)

Paganmoon

You only start off with your upgrades. So if you upgraded the clip capacity of your rifle, the rifle you pick up in game will come with those upgrades. Similarly, Joel will come already upgraded with whatever you spent the pills on.

There's a glitch that allows you to jump difficulty settings. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but all you have to do is start a new game+, finish the first "chapter" of the game, save, quit, start a new game on the harder difficulty and it'll be considered a new game+.

I believe it's start new game+, play first chapter, go to chapter select and switch difficulty there, and then play the first chapter again.

Evolved1

I think playing survivor fresh, without the upgrades is worth it. It's a different game. I found it quite challenging and you have to make a lot of tough choices, and deal with the scenarios differently.

Playing through in survivor+ right now and I find it a bit too easy. Really don't have to make an tough choices. My shiv upgrades make it really easy to kill all clickers and still have enough shivs for doors. Idk... I just think the upgrades take a ton of the bite out of it. Going through those sections, clickers were a real issue, not having shivs for them. It was tense, difficult, and I had to be really creative. In survior+ I just shiv them. :(

And I'm refusing to upgrade Joel's aim. I won't do it. I will do it for the trophy to pop, but them immediately delete the save. Long range bow (head)shots on moving clickers should make you sweat.

Sorc3r3r

Finished long ago, very fun game :)

This post it's only to know if someone else loves as much as i do the soundtrack.

So essential and so awesome.

Superflat

And I'm refusing to upgrade Joel's aim. I won't do it. I will do it for the trophy to pop, but them immediately delete the save. Long range bow (head)shots on moving clickers should make you sweat.

I have a maxed out Joel + weapons (NG++), and I feel that takes quite a bit away from the experience. Little-to-no recoil, inhuman reload speeds, super fast healing, zero weapon sway, etc.

Somewhere halfway is the sweet spot for a "powerful" Joel in this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4AgZHH7p2s

crying-man.gif

I think playing survivor fresh, without the upgrades is worth it. It's a different game. I found it quite challenging and you have to make a lot of tough choices, and deal with the scenarios differently.

Playing through in survivor+ right now and I find it a bit too easy. Really don't have to make an tough choices. My shiv upgrades make it really easy to kill all clickers and still have enough shivs for doors. Idk... I just think the upgrades take a ton of the bite out of it. Going through those sections, clickers were a real issue, not having shivs for them. It was tense, difficult, and I had to be really creative. In survior+ I just shiv them. :(

Honestly after I learned you can just throw a brick at them (what are bottles?) and kill them instantly with a swing of your pipe clickers aren't much of a problem anymore for me, even if I don't have shivs. I play on hard btw, but I'm just 33% in, it probably gets harder later on and
I already know there is another infected type waiting

Evolved1

Honestly after I learned you can just throw a brick at them (what are bottles?) and kill them instantly with a swing of your pipe clickers aren't much of a problem anymore for me, even if I don't have shivs. I play on hard btw, but I'm just 33% in, it probably gets harder later on and
I already know there is another infected type waiting

One thing about survivor is that they stop giving you bricks/bottles all over the place. I went a couple hours once without having one in my inventory!

You still get them here and there, but you aren't tripping over them like in hard. So it's another wrinkle.

apesh1t

Banned
Here's my take on the game:

It's a western develop take on the Metal Gear Solid franchise. It has long bouts of stealth mixed with lots of gunplay and cover. Story driven gameplay with well rounded characters. It has more gameplay and a less convoluted storyline than MGS, but everything else seems to fit in the pattern. No?

Winter really threw me for a loop. I loved the first part, hated the rest. I'm sorry but the crossbow is not a fun weapon.

Melchiah

Yeah they did a rather good job hiding it. The post apocalyptic world makes it easier for them to have stuff laying around. What i thought was way to obvious was (end of Winter spoiler -)
the broken glass laying around the main hall before the David fight. I instantly knew that there was a segment coming where i had to sneak around but had to avoid the glass, which would give my position away.

I thought the most obvious ones were in the beginning, when you're going
to get the guns from Robert with Tess.
Apart from that, I don't remember any other blatantly obvious signs of a forthcoming gunfight.

One thing about survivor is that they stop giving you bricks/bottles all over the place. I went a couple hours once without having one in my inventory!

You still get them here and there, but you aren't tripping over them like in hard. So it's another wrinkle.
Ah ok, that is cool. There are an insane amount on hard. Man, this might be the first game I will replay in like 3 years :D

The soundtrack is amazing. The most emotional one so far for me (33% in) is probably still this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-WZT3iIySI

Probably because I automatically attach it with the respective scene. Man, that scene got to me.

Here's my take on the game:

It's a western develop take on the Metal Gear Solid franchise. It has long bouts of stealth mixed with lots of gunplay and cover. Story driven gameplay with well rounded characters. It has more gameplay and a less convoluted storyline than MGS, but everything else seems to fit in the pattern. No?

Winter really threw me for a loop. I loved the first part, hated the rest. I'm sorry but the crossbow is not a fun weapon.

More Manhunt to me

Low health
Focus on running when caught
Atmosphere of despair
Similar stealth/shooting mechanics
Importance of bottles and bricks as distractions
Brutality
Oppressive intensity

Phew, just finished the game..!

The combat in this game (I am playing on hard, no listen mode, but with good headphones) is some of the most tense and exciting I have played in a game.
I am also happy that by playing slowly, and accepting losing ammo and health, I rarely had to restart. Makes me feel the gameplay is less memorization and more strategy based than other "hard games".
Most weapons pack a great punch and i always find myself swearing like Ellie when I shoot the shortie point blank is some asshole's face. Best gun is the hunting rifle, too bad i rarely found ammo for it. Molotov are insane helpers in some situations, too.
Never disliked clickers (except for that noise) or bloaters that much to be honest. Pack of hunters, though... fuck them. With little ammo it's very easy to get crowded.
mid game spoiler:
The game is really good at making you really hate some enemies. I really would have liked the kill that sniper myself. Probably would have set him on fire before shooting him with the shotgun or something. What a fucking asshole.

Jachaos

I thought the most obvious ones were in the beginning, when you're going
to get the guns from Robert with Tess.
Apart from that, I don't remember any other blatantly obvious signs of a forthcoming gunfight.

I guess I'd say
the University science building in Colorado
where I was stressed out of my mind,
being the hunted and not the hunter, only hearing a few sounds and things falling. I didn't know if there was going to be only one person and no fights or a group of guys but when I saw all the bottles and stuff it became pretty obvious

Melchiah

I guess I'd say
the University science building in Colorado
where I was stressed out of my mind,
being the hunted and not the hunter, only hearing a few sounds and things falling. I didn't know if there was going to be only one person and no fights or a group of guys but when I saw all the bottles and stuff it became pretty obvious

Ah, I had forgot that.
The scattered bottles and bricks were often a clear implication that something was about to happen.

Top Bottom