• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Chris_C

I bought the season pass, it was a 100kb download. I understand that in the main menu, I should go to downloadable and click extras, is DLC, but it tries to reach the PS store and then says nothing is available. Anyone have this issue? Locking the making of behind a pay wall when its always been free is a dick move.

Neiteio

If you were looking around a lot you probably found it. When you first
fight the infected with Tess you have to go up some stairs to get outside. Right before the hole in the wall that is the exit on the left is an opening to a room.
I've watched 3 let's plays and every time the person runs past it to the exit. If I recall correctly there is a note in there about
the people who got infected by sneaking out.
Oh, you mean the
area where you cross the plank to reach the exit, the infected still feasting on the corpse in the room down below, how you can step into the alcove on the left?
And I do recall that note, yeah.

Tendo

So I am in winter and just got to the part where
You run out of town and your horse is shot

How many more hours left in the game? I'd like to finish it up tomorrow if at all possible.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
What. The. Awesome. Overload.

Just completed Fall. There are no words. Starting Winter tomorrow.

iP2N4Qq1H7p7A.gif

If it's too big for some, I'll just link it. Or just move it to the screenshot thread. :p
Dennis, are you ok?

Minamu

Just beat it :D What a ride. There's only one ending right? Seemed like I might've had a choice close to the end. Anyway, almost 14 hours and Normal with 90ish collectibles found (how the, I thought I got them all xD). I'm a bit scared of Survivor+ so I might do an Easy+ to get some more upgrades before heading into the unknown that no listening will bring. I over relied on that feature all the time. I have no idea how else I'd be able to sneak around Batman style to be honest :S

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
You and I are in the same boat. Intense stuff. Loved it.

The thing that makes this work is the connection between Joel and Ellie. I, as the player, feel deeply connected to both of them. The last scene of Fall, in particular, was extremely intense as a result of this. I feel like the game is masterfully crafted to lead the player into more and more intense moments due to the connection that the player has gotten with the characters.

Winter gets more love, but I think Fall is the best part of the game. Perfect balance of shootouts and stalking; the scenery/setting is also very rad.

All I gotta say is that if Winter is supposedly the best one, then it's going to have to do something that I can't even begin to imagine. Fall was perfect in everything it tried to set up and execute.

At this point, it's safe to say that Last of Us has an extremely good chance at becoming my favorite single-player experience in any game ever.

Tendo

The thing that makes this work is the connection between Joel and Ellie. I, as the player, feel deeply connected to both of them. The last scene of Fall, in particular, was extremely intense as a result of this. I feel like the game is masterfully crafted to lead the player into more and more intense moments due to the connection that the player has gotten with the characters.

Tell me about it. That last ten minute stretch :( :(

I care a lot about both Joel and Ellie. Great animations and performances. Just an amazing experience.

I just got to the hotel, this game really does get a lot better. It's kind of off-putting at first because you have pretty much no weapons, but once you get a bunch of guns and are crafting stuff left and right, it's kind of a blast.
I always am sneaking, and then I'll fuck it up and get spotted, and then it's a frantic struggle where I end up with 1 bullet left or none, and then Ellie yells "BEHIND YOU!" and I take damage and have to run away and craft a health pack.
This shit is bonkers.

Shinjiru

If it was separate I would. I'm not supporting their season pass for MP I do not like. They bundled it to add value to their beyond-basic mp no one will be playing in a month.

I would buy the documentary on it's own. I don't want the season pass.

Same here. I really want to watch it but I'm not buying the Season Pass to do so. Bundle it with the SP DLC or put it up by itself and I will purchase it.

Jobbs

Banned
I finished this a day and a half ago, and I'm still stuck thinking about it. I can't let the experience go or get it out of my head.

I've spent most my time in the spoiler thread since then. This has nothing to do with specific plot points --- I'll just post an image that summarizes my overall feelings about the entirety of the experience, start, middle, and end. The game's over and I wasn't ready to move on. I'm trapped.

hqdefault.jpg

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I finished this a day and a half ago, and I'm still stuck thinking about it. I can't let the experience go or get it out of my head.

I've spent most my time in the spoiler thread since then, but without revealing anything, I'll just post an image that summarizes my overall feelings about the entirety of the experience, start, middle, and end. I'm trapped.

I just keep replaying it.

Jobbs

Banned
I just keep replaying it.

This is the only game outside of Dark Souls where I'd unquestioningly buy any DLC, any sequel, anything, instantly, no questions asked.

These are literally the only two games I feel that way about, for very different reasons, but they're the only ones.

Oh man, so much tension here. I just got to the part
where you fall down the elevator shaft, and I climbed out of the water, scavenging supplies, and then a bunch of runners show up
I might have to turn this sucker off for the night and hold off until morning.

Edit:
and now there are bloaters! got damn.
NOPE noooope.

Jobbs

Banned
same here. nothing to fall back on. now 25% into my 3rd survivor run ...

And how can I ever go back to playing typical video games where bulging action heroes are shouting canned lines at eachother? Even the ones that attempt to tell an emotional story (Tomb Raider) are a joke by comparison that didn't draw me in or make me care in any way whatsoever.

I'm sticking to games that either don't have a story, or games that are primarily ambient and tell story subtly. Typical action game story won't be bearable anymore, if it was ever bearable in the past.

Cartman86

Banned
Oh, you mean the
area where you cross the plank to reach the exit, the infected still feasting on the corpse in the room down below, how you can step into the alcove on the left?
And I do recall that note, yeah.

I think you are thinking of two different areas. Here is a video clip of it. The blown out room on the left.

And how can I ever go back to playing typical video games where bulging action heroes are shouting canned lines at eachother? Even the ones that attempt to tell an emotional story (Tomb Raider) are a joke by comparison that didn't draw me in or make me care in any way whatsoever.

I'm sticking to games that either don't have a story, or games that are primarily ambient and tell story subtly. Typical action game story won't be bearable anymore, if it was ever bearable in the past.
Yea, this game basically ruins all other games this generation. I'm trying to play through Spec Ops and it's tough man...

I seriously think ND is ran by aliens, it is INSANE the level of detail/polish they get with their stuff. Like, I have no idea how.

rataven

Wow. I just finished this. I'm a little speechless. What an incredible, magnificent game. One of the finest moments of my gaming life, no question. Where do you even go from here?

And so much love for Joel and Ellie. I can't remember ever feeling so emotionally invested in two video game characters before. Brilliant performances.

I actually teared up out of joy from having experienced this wonderful game. Thank you Naughty Dog, thank you so much.

antitrop

Wow. I just finished this. I'm a little speechless. What an incredible, magnificent game. One of the finest moments of my gaming life, no question. Where do you even go from here?

The SPOILER THREAD OF SPOILING SPOILERS AND SPOILY SHIT.

Then continue replaying the game or doing multiplayer waiting for DLC, I guess. :(

iP2N4Qq1H7p7A.gif

If it's too big for some, I'll just link it. Or just move it to the screenshot thread. :p

HOLY SHIT

crpav

Not sure if spoilers but
I finished the game on normal and did not upgrade anything because I heard there was a trophy for not upgrading anything. Turns out there are trophies for upgrading so should I load up an old save and upgrade fully or what?

antitrop

Not sure if spoilers but
I finished the game on normal and did not upgrade anything because I heard there was a trophy for not upgrading anything. Turns out there are trophies for upgrading so should I load up an old save and upgrade fully or what?
Is it even possible to upgrade everything enough to get the Trophy in 1 run on Normal?

wapplew

I've spent most my time in the spoiler thread since then. This has nothing to do with specific plot points --- I'll just post an image that summarizes my overall feelings about the entirety of the experience, start, middle, and end. The game's over and I wasn't ready to move on. I'm trapped.

hqdefault.jpg

Welp, you are not alone, I've been trapped over 2 weeks now.
Checking spoiler thread every now and then, watch others reaction on youtube or twitch, watch the documentary, listen sound track, slowly progress on survival+, not ready to let ellie go just yet

Dany

Banned
I'm confused by your question. A new game plus doesn't carry over the number of supplements or parts. It does carry over the upgrades you have done thus far.

antitrop

I think I may pick this up today and play it since I have 4 days off. What say you GAF?
There is no good reason why you shouldn't. This was the best gaming experience I've had since playing Final Fantasy VII 16 years ago, but everyone will take something different away from it.

There is no good reason why you shouldn't. This was the best gaming experience I've had since playing Final Fantasy VII 16 years ago, but everyone will take something different away from it.

Only thing that worries me is the rumors of the game bricking launch PS3s. Worried my old faithful will not make it. It has gotten rather loud recently too.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Only thing that worries me is the rumors of the game bricking launch PS3s. Worried my old faithful will not make it. It has gotten rather loud recently too.

You could do the digital thing... no disc spinning, faster initial loading, runs cooler.

crpav

I'm confused by your question. A new game plus doesn't carry over the number of supplements or parts. It does carry over the upgrades you have done thus far.

Actually that answers my question. Like I said I did not upgrade anything and beat the game. So I will probably have to load a old save where I can use a workbench and upgrade as much as I can before, and if, I play the normal+.

Andrew.

Banned
I still don't want to play anything after this, it's been a few weeks now, I think I'll just replay it on survivor.

Welcome to the club.

Fifth playthrough and Im kinda freaked out by the fact Im not tired whatsoever of it. Im so connected to these characfers I feel like Im going mental. Even Bioshock Infinite didnt keep me this engaged.

AAK

Ugh, I feel like such a fool when I can't figure out a traversial aspect in an extremely linear game...

Currently in the
...fall...
season and I just reached the outside of the
science lab
. The game is telling me I have to
get over the chained fence to go through the busted up wall within the fence
. I was wandering around the area aimlessly for like 20 minutes before giving up. Can someone give me a hint please?

Ugh, I feel like such a fool when I can't figure out a traversial aspect in an extremely linear game...

Currently in the
...fall...
science lab
. I was wandering around the area aimlessly for like 20 minutes before giving up. Can someone give me a hint please?

That specific part is pretty stupid, I don't blame you! Only part in the entire game where I also got stuck for a bit.

Look around for something to
go over fhe fence.
It's pretty close!

Atsumi

I'm having issues on
The second bloater encounter.
I'm sure if I keep at it I'll figure it out, but how do you all handle them?

Paganmoon

Currently in the
...fall...
science lab

Do you mean
the university?
if so
find the dumpster and move it towards the gate, down the ramp

Currently in the
...fall...
science lab
YEah its a tough part with no guidance. My advice is to listen to Ellie's suggestion and work on it

Atsumi

You can either stealth your way through or use molotovs.
Yeah, I should try the stealth option. I was putting nail bombs in the doorways then molotoving him as he ran in, but he kept grabbing me.
I figured killing him was necessary like the first encounter.

Thanks!

Do you mean
the university?
if so
find the dumpster and move it towards the gate, down the ramp

That part reminded me of the old PSX days in the original Resident Evil trilogy, where every movable object was so obvious, in glaring contrast with the rest of the scenery.

Not the case here!

Paganmoon

That part reminded me of the old PSX days in the original Resident Evil trilogy, where every movable object was so obvious, in glaring contrast with the rest of the scenery.

Not the case here!

Yeah, it took me quite a while to figure it out also tbh :)
Easy to go "oh that? Easy just grab..." now though hehe

Top Bottom