• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

How could I forget this? Damn.
That was probably the most impressive child acting I have seen in a long time. Ellie is pretty fucking amazing, but she is acted by an adult. Doesn't take away from her performance, but the fact that Sarah is so well acted by a 13 year old was pretty impressive to me.

khaaan

It is first used during the prologue. More specifically at the end. You should know now what scene I'm referring to :D

oooooohhhhh, yes. Got it. I feel horrible for forgetting now.
I also just rewatched the cutscene I do associate that piece with (late game) and found out they just use a variation of that piece.

That was probably the most impressive child acting I have seen in a long time. Ellie is pretty fucking amazing, but she is acted by an adult. Doesn't take away from her performance, but the fact that Sarah is so well acted by a 13 year old was pretty impressive to me.

Which is amazing. Sarah came off as so natural and I was blown away during her
cries of pain after being shot.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Shiv Master 1, Weapon Sway 1, Shiv Master 2, Weapon Sway 2, Health 1+2, then whatever you like.

chri5t

Holy fuck, I just beat the game and clocked in at 18h34m. The only thing I can is wow. I really did not want the game to end.

I played through the entire game on Hard, except for one section where I had to switch it to normal. As soon as I got past that section, I immediately switched it back to Hard, so I only played Normal mode for about 5 minutes.

I ended up getting the completion trophy for completing the game on Normal. Does anybody know if I can just go back to that specific chapter and beat it on Hard to get the trophy, or will I have to play through the game on Hard?

Akainu

Just beat it. Was pretty great. Lived up to the hype more than Bioshock Infinite did. Luckily the few places that you had no choice but fight weren't drawn out and you could still stealth kill everyone/thing.
Fall spoiler:
How does Ellie get through that Hunter camp without getting shot, and how do Joel and Tommy even know that they're Hunters and not just people defending their camp?
Didn't except the first horse so they were prepared for someone else to come after her? And putting two and two together who else would they be? The dam was just raided so it makes sense they would of had people waiting for them to come back.

Melchiah

Shiv Master 1, Weapon Sway 1, Shiv Master 2, Weapon Sway 2, Health 1+2, then whatever you like.

I chose Shiv Master and Listen Mode Distance first, as they helped dealing with the Clickers. Never bothered with Weapon Sway or Crafting Speed, as I didn't see them worthy of spending points on.

iSnakeTk

Should be put to work in a coal mine.
Second Playthrough right now and just saw Joel play
dart
Damn, Joel is a tired old man.
Totally missed it on my first time.

Grinchy

Banned
Question about NG+

If I start a new file on Survivor, can I still go back to my old Hard save and use it for trophy hunting? I don't really want to worry about having to collect stuff in Survivor or hear all the converstations and stuff. Can I just play Survivor without worrying about trophy stuff and then go back to my old save later on for that?

That
sniper part in the suburbs
could have been so much fun if the game would actually give me a chance. Those scriped bad guys popping up often ruin the whole mood. Why do I even bother sneaking around a house, trying to look into each window just to get ambushed by a guy afterwards which magically appears.

I am okay with that kind of behavior for certain cutscenes, important plot issues and stuff but why the hell in the regular game.

destrudo

What skills should I focus on upgrading first?

Max Health
Listen Mode Incr.
Crafting Speed
Healing Speed
Weapon Sway
Shiv Master

Crafting and healing speed are pretty much useless. They're nice to have, but they're pretty low priority. Other than that it depends on how you play. If you rely on listen mode a lot, when it's maxed out you can see pretty much everyone. If you die a lot or you're playing on Hard or Survivor max health is pretty useful to have. Also, keep in mind that when you upgrade max health when you're low it'll give you a full life bar. Weapon sway was the one I upgraded first, since max makes sway pretty much nonexistent, but if you're already a good shot it's not important. Shiv Master is great if you're getting grabbed by infected a lot, and you'll be thankful to have it if you get caught after a really long battle, but I find I saved most of my shivs for shiv doors.

Keep in mind that you probably won't be able to upgrade all of them after one playthrough, but you should be able to upgrade most of them.

My lordy this is a gorgeous game. Definitely in the top 3 of the generation.

On my next play-through I am going to have to go through and screen cap this thing.

RPGCrazied

Wow. I only got one trophy in my almost 9 hours of playing. I'm 50% done.
That one part underneath the building in the sewer type area with that bloater was hard as hell. Tried that part many times.

Don't know how that was a spoiler, but whatever.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Wow. I only got one trophy in my almost 9 hours of playing. I'm 50% done.
That one part underneath the building in the sewer type area with that bloater
was hard as hell. Tried that part many times.

Most people posting things in this thread of that nature use spoiler tags. Many people currently posting in this thread have not finished the game. And while they're dancing with fire coming in here, they're probably not expecting people to have no consideration about posting spoilers.

You've been on gaf a long time.. this is commons sense shit.

RPGCrazied

Most people posting things in this thread of that nature use spoiler tags. Many people currently posting in this thread have not finished the game. And while they're dancing with fire coming in here, they're probably not expecting people to have no consideration about posting spoilers.

You've been on gaf a long time.. this is commons sense shit.

How is that a spoiler? It has nothing to do with story, its just an area with a type of monster. That's not a spoiler.

RPGCrazied

What the flying heck. There is other people in this thread talking about enemy types, even have some poster posting flat out screenshots from area's I never saw before I started playing. And quite a few posters have already talked about that enemy type way before I said it. I apologize if that is a spoiler to you. But I didn't think it was.

I thought spoilers was either from the story and characters.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
What the flying heck. There is other people in this thread talking about enemy types, even have some poster posting flat out screenshots from area's I never saw before I started playing. And quite a few posters have already talked about that enemy type way before I said it. I apologize if that is a spoiler to you. But I didn't think it was.

I thought spoilers was either from the story and characters.

I haven't read the entire thread, so I have no idea about the stuff you say is in here. I usually come to post real fast and get out. Just letting you know I read what you wrote and didn't know about it.

traveler

Not Wario
What skills should I focus on upgrading first?

Max Health
Listen Mode Incr.
Crafting Speed
Healing Speed
Weapon Sway
Shiv Master

-Weapon Sway first for sure.
-You shouldn't be using listen mode so skip that upgrade entirely.
-Max Health is second best after weapon sway, but save actually getting the upgrade till you need a heal as it recovers your health to full when used and is, as such, a free medkit.
-Crafting speed is by and large useless.
-Healing speed can be useful in a pinch, but I'd get both the health and sway upgrades first.
-Shiv master is a weird one- it's super useful if you're willing to use it, but I preferred saving shivs/not crafting them till needed for doors. I also felt that, whenever I got grabbed, I should probably have played the scenario differently to avoid needing it to begin with. Could be nice as an insurance card for those long segments you just want to avoid having to redo, but I'd get it after the health and sway upgrades as well.

I never upgraded my weapon sway because I didn't want to be popping shots so easily. I liked having a huge handicap in getting into gunfights haha. I upgraded shiv first and then health. The rest didn't seem important to me.

Radec

Well I saw it before you covered it and I had no idea that type of enemy was in the game.

that's just being too sensitive.

you just know the name, you don't know what it looks like or how it attacks.

you will see one in like 20-30% of the game anyway, and it's not even a big deal.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
that's just being too sensitive.

you just know the name, you don't know what it looks like or how it attacks.

you will see one in like 20-30% of the game anyway, and it's not even a big deal.

I am not mad about it at all. I was just letting him know that some people didn't know that existed in the game.

Ultimadrago

Today I have finished the single-player story. It was an enjoyable adventure. The writing, voice acting and a number of the characters are some of the strongest I've witnessed in a video game of recent memory. While they're not all exceptionally substantive, most of the lead roles are played decently at worst. It was also satisfactory to be searching carefully through nooks and crannies galore for supplies in an acceptable overarching circumstance (unlike Bioshock Infinite).

That said, I wasn't a fan of the starting stretch (Chapter 1 withstanding) which was handled confrontations in a much weaker than that of their successors. The stage design and context of said latter stages have great versatility (hardly for reasons solely rooting from additional weaponry) along with needed subtlety that would've benefited the introductory chapters.

sense

for those that finished the game I highly recommend watching the documentary that comes with the season pass. it is a pretty long video (i think about an hour maybe less) but very fun to watch all the backstage stuff and mocap stuff that goes behind the development of the game.

flyover

for those that finished the game I highly recommend watching the documentary that comes with the season pass. it is a pretty long video (i think about an hour maybe less) but very fun to watch all the backstage stuff and mocap stuff that goes behind the development of the game.

Oh, man. That sounds tempting -- especially considering how well-crafted this game was -- but I'm conflicted. When I really, really like something (like I did with TLoU), I often don't want to see "the man behind the curtain." Goes for games, TV shows, and movies. Even though I obviously know it's all manufactured, written, and acted (and that I've seen/heard these same actors many time before), I work to suspend my disbelief even after the fact.

(If it's not something I loved, then I'll happily watch the making-of extras.)

Evolved1

I can't believe I just bought the season pass... wtf is wrong with me.

Hopefully ND does a horde mode and a no-booster/LM playlist so I don't feel like a complete asshole a few months from now.

sense

I really doubt the SP DLC will be $20 fucking dollars.

This documentary cannot be background downloaded... awesome. :(
Haha sucked waiting for it to download. The video is actually 1hour and 24 minutes and I thought it was very well done. I think we will have 10$ worth sp dlc and 2 $5 mp dlc. Kinda sucks though because they could do 3 or 4 sp dlc when looking at the options in the story and they might just do that if there is lot of interest after these first three packs. O well now the wait for the first dlc!!!

Evolved1

Haha sucked waiting for it to download. The video is actually 1hour and 24 minutes and I thought it was very well done. I think we will have 10$ worth sp dlc and 2 $5 mp dlc. Kinda sucks though because they could do 3 or 4 sp dlc when looking at the options in the story and they might just do that if there is lot of interest after these first three packs. O well now the wait for the first dlc!!!

PS4 will probably be out by the time any SP DLC lands... I'll have to get my PS3 out of the closet.

Wait a second.

Is the brother you meet in the Fall Section the same brother Joel interacts with during the opening scenes (driving in the car, etc)?

Is this true? Did I completely black out during that scene?

chrono01

Yeah,
fall was crazy short, kinda sad though the game is coming to an end I really wanted a longer game
I would have liked
Winter/Fall to be longer as well,
but I think as a whole, the game provides a more than adequate amount of gameplay [if you search the environments and such].

If I remember correctly, my first-time through took around 20 hours [might be an hour under that, but it's definitely in that range]. That's not too bad, and considering my backlog, in some ways it's appreciated.

I will agree to being sad when nearing the end, though. It's a bittersweet moment/feeling when you clear that game you've been enjoying so much. :(

Edit - I meant to say
"Winter isn't long, and Spring is even shorter"
in my previous post.

Sorry for the confusion.

The lighting at
the University of Eastern Colorado
is just amazing, hands down the greatest of this generation. With the leaves falling the atmosphere is just amazing.

Trevelyan

Banned
The lighting at
the University of Eastern Colorado
is just amazing, hands down the greatest of this generation. With the leaves falling the atmosphere is just amazing.

Yeah, the scene in the courtyard where you see those monkeys was probably one of my favorite sections ever in a game. The art, the colors and the music made that part truly haunting for me. I left my game sitting there for about 30 minutes when I first got to it just to soak it in.

Yeah, the scene in the courtyard where you see those monkeys was probably one of my favorite sections ever in a game. The art, the colors and the music made that part truly haunting for me. I left my game sitting there for about 30 minutes when I first got to it just to soak it in.
The horse ride back from the farm with Tommy, Ellie and Joel was amazing the music was perfect and how the sun began to set, it's just an amazing game. Naughty Dog has put care and thought into every instance of this game.

Top Bottom