• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

I laugh when people in walkthroughs are so fast to
turn on the generator. First time I saw that, I was playing hard/noLM and was like NOPE!. I decided I'd rather scout the area in the dark/quiet... since I just knew the generator was going to be an aggro machine.

Unfortunately,
I didn't have the same foresight for the key card. "Hmm what's this sparkly... *blood curdling screams* .....Oh shit!!!!".

haha
Yup.
I knew from playing dozens of games and even making mods myself that starting the generator would obviously going to cause trouble, but honestly I didn't give a shit and I had the vague hope the generator would also power the lights back on, which was the only thing I was interested in at the moment xD

I just watched a couple of walkthroughs of that part. Grabbing the keycard first is definitely more intense. One guy opened his backpack looking at it out of habit, then he started hearing the sound of the runners approaching and closed it. Suddenly everything was silent again. He slowly turned around to the door frame and activated his flashlight just to see one of them standing right there which scared the shit out of him lol

krae_man

I'm going to have to restart my new game plus playthrough. I upgraded shivs once so now every time a clicker grabs me the prompt comes up and I lose an entire shiv. The beginning of the game isn't meant for shiv saves. A clicker getting you is supposed to mean death but I just cant ignore the on screen prompt.

I missed the second shiv door because I had none left and no crafting supplies to make one. I'm going to try again and resist the urge to save myself when clickers grab me as best I can and upgrade my shiv skill as fast as I can.

I've also noticed some stupid AI decisions. Some human enemies have decided to stop shooting me, and run for cover behind me. they just run right past as if I'm not there. Also Tess kept blowing my cover in the subway. Why are you shooting when I'm sneaking?

Sora, you're on the right track.

- Before you do anything you need to delete the patches that are installed.

- Once you do that, start the game up and press circle to decline the most recent patch (1.2 I think)

- Select New Game Plus and play the prologue to its completion.

- When you get to the next chapter you save once you're able to take control of Joel in the street.

- Then you quit to the main menu.

- From the chapter select, select prologue AND THEN Survivor.

The game will start over for you, but you'll still be on your new game plus file only now playing you're on survivor difficulty. So it'll be a survivor plus run.

Hope that helps :)

last I heard this still works on the most recent patch. i started a survivor+ game on patch 1.1 and it seems to still be working fine on 1.2. others have stated when they finished the game they had all the trophies pop on 1.2.

Psykotik

beat the game on hard on my first run and just beat it again last night on my survivor+ run.

took me 15 hours the first time and around 11 hours on survivor+ with all the cutscenes skipped.

pretty good length.

So I messed the up NG+ exploit and am looking for help.

Played through first on Easy, beat the game. Start up NG+, play Prologue, quit out, and instead of starting again with the Prologue, I start the next chapter instead (on Normal, not looking to do Hard or Survivor) because I misunderstood the process and didn't pay close enough attention to directions. I run through the whole game on Normal NG+ but my Prologue still says I have only beaten it on Easy. How do I get the Normal/Normal NG+ to pop? Chapter Select the Prologue on Normal (I did this but did not save, should I save this)? Do I have to do the Epilogue again as well? Thanks.

Shady859

I take back everything I said a few hours ago. This is definitely not in the top 3 of PS3 exclusives... Nope it's the game of the freakin console!!!!

Uncharted and Infamous are my #2 and 3 FWIW

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.

- Once you do that, start the game up and press circle to decline the most recent patch (1.2 I think)

- When you get to the next chapter you save once you're able to take control of Joel in the street.

The game will start over for you, but you'll still be on your new game plus file only now playing you're on survivor difficulty. So it'll be a survivor plus run.

Will reinstalling the patch after you start Survivor + this way affect the save game in any way?

ndreamer

I take back everything I said a few hours ago. This is definitely not in the top 3 of PS3 exclusives... Nope it's the game of the freakin console!!!!

Uncharted and Infamous are my #2 and 3 FWIW

I bought the Playstation 3 just to play last of us and i was very disappointed at the start. everything however just improves greatly near the end the graphics, story, cinematic's and the core gameplay it was just insane. It was really really worth it in the end to invest in the playstation 3, especially since i found Playstation + and picked up uncharted 3 & saint's row 3 for virtually nothing.

I bought the Playstation 3 just to play last of us and i was very disappointed at the start. everything however just improves greatly near the end the graphics, story, cinematic's and the core gameplay it was just insane. It was really really worth it in the end to invest in the playstation 3, especially since i found Playstation + and picked up uncharted 3 & saint's row 3 for virtually nothing.

You're in for a treat. Between plus, PSN, and exclusives you've got months of great content to catch up on.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
finished this Thursday night. Was pretty good, prob an 8.5 or 9 out of 10. I got tired of the combat and samey environments and hated the ending so that soured it for me. Definitely won't be GOTY 2013 for me as it did not live up to the hype but it was pretty good

OnFire331

Finished the game yesterday, I think it might be the GotG for me. What an amazing ride. If I register the Online Pass to my account, will the other accounts on the same PS3 be able to play online too?

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Finished the game yesterday, I think it might be the GotG for me. What an amazing ride. If I register the Online Pass to my account, will the other accounts on the same PS3 be able to play online too?

Unless they are signing in under your PSN ID and password, no.

I laugh when people in walkthroughs are so fast to
turn on the generator. First time I saw that, I was playing hard/noLM and was like NOPE!. I decided I'd rather scout the area in the dark/quiet... since I just knew the generator was going to be an aggro machine.

Unfortunately,
I didn't have the same foresight for the key card. "Hmm what's this sparkly... *blood curdling screams* .....Oh shit!!!!".

haha

Haha, that's
actually the first time I've screamed in a game. My second runthrough (Survival) a stalker jumped on my back and screamed when I was at the generator, had my headphones loud... heart attack.

Dat stretch between the beginning of Fall and an hour into winter (where I am now)

GOTG so far imo

One thing (early Winter spoiler)

Am I supposed to feel sorry for David's guys at this point? They shot at us as soon as they saw us, and never gave us any option but to shoot our way out

Replicant

New Game + Survivor exploit.

1. Played on other mode, ie. Normal, finish it.
2. Start a New Game + mode on Normal and play it till the end of Prologue.
3. Quit the game and return to the menu.
4. Use chapter select to choose the prologue
5. Select new game on 'Survivor' difficulty.
6. Your new game should now be on 'Survivor+ difficulty. You can see that your new game is a new game plus on your save and you should be able to see your difficulty on your game option menu.

And no, Survivor+ doesn't automatically give you all of your weapons from the beginning since it's a part of the storyline. The only upgrades you got is your weapon swing/health which remains at your previously played difficulty.

As for the
Hotel basement encounter

1. Check the exit door first along with the keycard slot.
2. Grab the keycard, this will trigger 4 stalkers to come out. Stay in the room and bait them to come to you by moving in and out the door. Dispatch them one by one.
3. Go to the bottom and grab all items you haven't got and start the generator.
4. RUN FOR YOUR LIVES. Depending on the random chance, a bloater may appear right behind you as soon as you finish turning on the generator. If not, you're lucky you'll still have to deal with tons of stalkers on your way from the bottom to the door. If a bloater appears just as you try to open the door with keycard, stall him with molotov.

So i got my copy of TLOU but it don't seem like i will be able to play it .
The game makes me feel sick when i try.
Maybe i will try again but after 2 times i don't know the only other time this happen was with the LOS.
Guess as i get older frame rate is effect me more than it used to .

Maybe i will try again but after 2 times i don't know the only other time this happen was with the LOS.

huh?

motion sick? maybe try lower the sensitivity setting on the controller if there is one.

Primeau31

Hey man, I had the same problem yesterday - I bought some dramamine from CVS this morning, and just kept taking it as needed throughout the day. Hang in there.

Finally finished this game. Absolutely incredible.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I honestly revert back to TLoU mindframe when I see empty beer bottles irl

Was telling my buddy at work that has the game as well that i've started walking around thinking about the whole world in terms of TLoU... glass bottles... where to hide... where the supplies might be in any given room. It's kind of scary.

GQman2121

Banned
Will reinstalling the patch after you start Survivor + this way affect the save game in any way?

It doesn't seem to effect it. My system is set to download patches and updates overnight and redownloaded the 1.2 patch. I thought about deleting it again, but went ahead and played. Everything seems to be fine. And I even had the gold trophy for all of Ellie's
jokes
pop, so I know the two runs are accumulating stats as I progress.

RPGCrazied

Beat it with 16 hours and 35 minutes of game time. This is probably my GOTY, don't know if anything can come close to this game, save maybe GTA V, but thats not my type of game.

Melchiah

Man that hotel
underwater section sure was creepy. I kept telling myself that infected probably wouldn't show up in the water, so it wasn't that much of a problem at first. But once the creepy sound effects kicked in and the rats came running down the hallway I fucking panicked and just wanted to get out of there as soon as possible lol

Then I tried to start the generator and the infected showed up. When the bloater finally came along I was so done with that section I just threw my entire inventory at it :(

Spoilers about the same section:
I placed a nailbomb trap behind me, before I started up the generator, which helped a bit. When a swarm of the infected appeared, accompanied by a Bloater, I just ran aimlessly in the dark, with my heart pounding like no tomorrow. By chance I ended up in the upper section, to the door that lead out, and could pick them up pretty easily with shotgun, molotovs and nailbombs. After I had dealt with them all, I started inspecting the area, and found the keycard. It was pure luck, that I survived that section without dying even once. Talk about a pant-soiling moment. =)

BTW, the
machete
you get later on is really useful during those kind of sections, especially when upgraded with scissors.
You get five insta-death srikes with it

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Spoilers about the same section:
I placed a nailbomb trap behind me, before I started up the generator, which helped a bit. When a swarm of the infected appeared, accompanied with a Bloater, I just ran aimlessly in the dark, with my heart pounding like no tomorrow. By chance I ended up in the upper section, to the door that lead out, and could pick them up pretty easily with shotgun, molotovs and nailbombs. After I had dealt with them all, I started inspecting the area, and found the keycard. It was pure luck, that I survived that section without dying even once. Talk about a pant-soiling moment. =)

BTW, the
machete
you get later on is really useful during those kind of sections, especially when upgraded with scissors.
You get five insta-death srikes with it

That weapon has some amazing animations you're lucky if you see once during the entire game. It's kind of absurd how much animation is in this game, some of it just for one-off stuff hardly anyone will even see.

lmpaler

Greetings all. I've been wanting to come to this thread for awhile, but, I refused until I finished it. My goodness, what a game. I finished my first play through on hard, now I'm about to go Survivor and then Survivor plus. Always sans prompts, listen Mode, and hints.

The multiplayer isn't to shabby either

Melchiah

That weapon has some amazing animations you're lucky if you see once during the entire game. It's kind of absurd how much animation is in this game, some of it just for one-off stuff hardly anyone will even see.

To tell the truth, I didn't really pay attention to the animations, as I was too busy trying to survive. =) It worked wonders in the
sewers. And the axe was great as well.

Cartman86

Banned

Unless they are signing in under your PSN ID and password, no.

I'm pretty sure that game passes works across all accounts....

Yes online passes work across all accounts on the console. Tested it out last weekend at my friends. At least the Last of Us pass does.

Dat stretch between the beginning of Fall and an hour into winter (where I am now)

GOTG so far imo

One thing (early Winter spoiler)

Am I supposed to feel sorry for David's guys at this point? They shot at us as soon as they saw us, and never gave us any option but to shoot our way out

I would say no. It does play into important themes though.

Reckoner

I presume that's to maintain the upgrades while also making progress for the Survivor difficulty trophy?

Edit: Nevermind lol

phoenixyz

I was really hyped about this game before it came out and I mostly avoided any information after the initial announcement trailers. But now, after about 8 hours in, I am disappointed. While the presentation and dialogue are great and it's technically awesome (at least for a console game) I am still not warming up to the core gameplay combat/stealth. To me it feels at best slightly amusing, at worst actively annoying. When the game throws 10 enemies at me I most often think "Oh man, let's just skip this sh*t and let me go on exploring". It's amazing how clunky combat feels. And the field of view (which feels like 50°) doesn't help. "There's a guy running in my direction, I should probably hit him" *Joel hits air and gets punched in the face* or "I think I alerted the infected but I have no idea from where they are springting at me because I can see nothing which is not directly in front of my face.". I am really frustrated because this game has had some quite amazing moments but as soon as I'm in the zone there is another lame fighting/stealth section. If TLoU had come out prior to The Walking Dead I would've said "Well, that's how videogames are supposed to be, you just have to ignore that the troubled Anti-Hero kills 300 guys with a spoon between the dramatic cutscenes" but not anymore.

Apdiddy

I'm playing the game on Hard and
up to the college
. At first, I didn't like the gameplay either -- I felt like it was too easy to die due to the game's faults not anything due to my mistakes. I slowly got the hang of it and was amazed, how even on Hard, stupid the human enemies were. They don't seem to attack in packs unless they spot you while the infected attack in packs always, whether they see you or not.

Still, there have been some great moments:

I love the fact that Joel is my age now at the start of the outbreak. It really puts the whole thing in perspective and makes me hope that the games of the next-gen have more of this. I'm tired of playing as a teenager or an early 20's age person.

I love how Naughty Dog made Bill a gay character but a bit more nuanced. His story is just as tragic and sad as Joel's.

The scene where Sam and Henry die is the most harrowing I've ever seen.

Ellie and Joel's argument at the ranch house actually had me crying.

This might be the Game of the Year for me or at least #2.

Yup, animation work really is fantastic.

I was really hyped about this game before it came out and I mostly avoided any information after the initial announcement trailers. But now, after about 8 hours in, I am disappointed. While the presentation and dialogue are great and it's technically awesome (at least for a console game) I am still not warming up to the core gameplay combat/stealth. To me it feels at best slightly amusing, at worst actively annoying. When the game throws 10 enemies at me I most often think "Oh man, let's just skip this sh*t and let me go on exploring". It's amazing how clunky combat feels. And the field of view (which feels like 50°) doesn't help. "There's a guy running in my direction, I should probably hit him" *Joel hits air and gets punched in the face* or "I think I alerted the infected but I have no idea from where they are springting at me because I can see nothing which is not directly in front of my face.". I am really frustrated because this game has had some quite amazing moments but as soon as I'm in the zone there is another lame fighting/stealth section. If TLoU had come out prior to The Walking Dead I would've said "Well, that's how videogames are supposed to be, you just have to ignore that the troubled Anti-Hero kills 300 guys with a spoon between the dramatic cutscenes" but not anymore.
Mhm nothing you describe really is a problem for me. But I'm the stealth type, so maybe it is different for me.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Is this game going to get some single player DLC? If its just multiplayer maps, I really don't care for those.

SP DLC and two MP DLC confirmed... absolutely no details whatsoever on anything regarding DLC SP or MP. No time windows, no details, nothing. They are happily accepting money in advance though.

Top Bottom