• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Beat the game several hours ago and took a 2 hour nap.

It was fun, the premise was interesting. I'm also interested in what Naughty Dog will do with PS4. With Last of Us you see how much more visual fidelity you can get by remodeling and dynamically changing visual settings per scene/level, and I think I saw benefits of BDROM capacity in terms of textures and audio. It will be nice to have all consoles have BDROM capacity...maybe steam won't try to cram in high end games into 10 GiB by basically putting audio into MP3 quality format.

Rippa

Finished the game in just over 22 hours. First play through on Hard. Exilerating, heart pumping experience! It's my next gen version of Manhunt on the PS2. By which I mean that I was looking for a similar next-gen stealth/survival horror game. TLoU provided me with exactly that! Naughty dog wins the most detailed game award from me. From the smallest nuances like little animals scurrying along whatever landscapes you're running through. All the way to the stunning vistas, although very linear, you traverse during your journey in the game. The non-sensicle dialogue between Ellie and Joel brings all the life in a video game yet seen by any other. All in my humble opinion of course but this game can't get enough praise! I recommend this to anyone who enjoys video games from the casual to the hardcore. I cannot wait for the next iteration.

ido

I was watching Lionheart(JCVD movie) last night, and went down the imdb rabbit hole and discovered Ellie was voiced by the little girl in Lionheart, and it was also her first movie ever.

Cool.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Finished the game in just over 22 hours. First play through on Hard. Exilerating, heart pumping experience! It's my next gen version of Manhunt on the PS2. By which I mean that I was looking for a similar next-gen stealth/survival horror game. TLoU provided me with exactly that! Naughty dog wins the most detailed game award from me. From the smallest nuances like little animals scurrying along whatever landscapes you're running through. All the way to the stunning vistas, although very linear, you traverse during your journey in the game. The non-sensicle dialogue between Ellie and Joel brings all the life in a video game yet seen by any other. All in my humble opinion of course but this game can't get enough praise! I recommend this to anyone who enjoys video games from the casual to the hardcore. I cannot wait for the next iteration.

"Nonsensical" is a synonym for "nonsense". Or lacking intelligible meaning. I don't think that's what you meant! lol

I at the fall part and my god is this game amazing. Love the pacing, and story, and atmosphere but also just how much there is too this world. I was quite impressed with just how much there is too explore and loot. The town parts game a feel of silent hill and the combat is tense. Melee is a bit cheap but only works 1v1 so its not too exploitable.

This game has got me hooked and I love it :)

I at the fall part and my god is this game amazing. Love the pacing, and story, and atmosphere but also just how much there is too this world. I was quite impressed with just how much there is too explore and loot. The town parts game a feel of silent hill and the combat is tense. Melee is a bit cheap but only works 1v1 so its not too exploitable.

This game has got me hooked and I love it :)

Agreed with the melee criticism, I sometimes just hide and wait for a guy with a gun to get close enough for me to run at him and beat him down with my fists. I think you should have a 50/50 chace of being killed in a fistfight

Evolved1

Agreed with the melee criticism, I sometimes just hide and wait for a guy with a gun to get close enough for me to run at him and beat him down with my fists. I think you should have a 50/50 chace of being killed in a fistfight

That is a terrible idea.

GQman2121

Banned
Survivor is the way everyone should play. At least after finishing on normal first and having a full grasp of the combat.

I just reached the suburbs and it feels like a different game. The mind games you play with yourself on how to approach everything change completely. I can believe how happy I am when I'm able to come across half a pair of scissors or nail someone with an arrow and retrieve it from their brains!

And I'm finally putting the sugar bombs to good use when things get hairy.

The brick, stun, headshot via pipe/2x4 is so clutch against everything. It feels badass every single time.

The game has cracked into my all top 5 I think.

I was just wondering about how far into the game I am and how much further I have to go ...

I'm at the area where
You meet Joel's old friend (voiced by Dan from Deadwood) who lives in a church / keeps arguing with Elle / has the area booby trapped. I think he's gonna help me get a car put together.

I was just wondering about how far into the game I am and how much further I have to go ...

I'm at the area where
You meet Joel's old friend (voiced by Dan from Deadwood) who lives in a church / keeps arguing with Elle / has the area booby trapped. I think he's gonna help me get a car put together.

One fourth into it maybe? One third, tops.

AlphaDump

Gold Member

I'm at the area where

not very far at all. i'd say 30%

Such an excellent game..

altho I wish there was some type of wall/floor knock feature like in MGS1.

I was thinking about that too. But I think it might have made it a tad too easy. You could just lure EVERY enemy away with something like that. The brick/bottle mechanic makes it more restrictive.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
I was thinking about that too. But I think it might have made it a tad too easy. You could just lure EVERY enemy away with something like that. The brick/bottle mechanic makes it more restrictive.

very true. the brick/bottle restriction does provide a good element of tension to every scenario.

although on harder difficulties it could be really cool. esp if it had a radius of only like 4 ft. so you couldn't just abuse it.

Evolved1

They should have made it more difficult at least. Going into a fist fight on hard mode safein the knowledge that there is no chance whatsoever of dying as a result is silly

The knuckles should be the last resort, not a reliable gameplan

I don't necessarily disagree with your criticism, just your suggested remedy.

Finished my third playthrough Friday and now have all the single player trophies. The online trophies are proving to be a nightmare to obtain due to how bad the online component is. I adored the sp campaign, but the multiplayer is the worse I've ever played - right up there with Tomb Raider and Medal of Honor: Warfighter. I know implementing wallhacks into online is not new by any standards, but IMO it's a crippling factor in this game.

There's also no matchmaking, that or there's barely anyone playing the game. My friends and I hoped on for the first time yesterday and the very first game we get into has four level 69 players... needless to say, we didn't stand a chance. We played five hours and during that entire session we never saw anyone below level 20. I might push through to grab the final two online trophies, but it's nearly unbearable and the mp component should have been dropped.

If it weren't for the online trophies, the online would be a ghost town in under three months. I will say this, though, more than any other online game I've ever played, this one absolutely 100% requires teamwork/communication - lone wolf gameplay is nonexistent and I've yet to run into anyone on the opposing team running around alone solo.

Finished my third playthrough Friday and now have all the single player trophies. The online trophies are proving to be a nightmare to obtain due to how bad the online component is. I adored the sp campaign, but the multiplayer is the worse I've ever played - right up there with Tomb Raider and Medal of Honor: Warfighter. I know implementing wallhacks into online is not new by any standards, but IMO it's a crippling factor in this game.

There's also no matchmaking, that or there's barely anyone playing the game. My friends and I hoped on for the first time yesterday and the very first game we get into has four level 69 players... needless to say, we didn't stand a chance. We played five hours and during that entire session we never saw anyone below level 20. I might push through to grab the final two online trophies, but it's nearly unbearable and the mp component should have been dropped.

If it weren't for the online trophies, the online would be a ghost town in under three months. I will say this, though, more than any other online game I've ever played, this one absolutely 100% requires teamwork/communication - lone wolf gameplay is nonexistent and I've yet to run into anyone on the opposing team running around alone solo.

The levels are not levels in the traditional sense. A good team of 'level' 5s could compete with a team of 50s

Gorillaz

your crazy son MP is amazing it's like gears 1 meets socom 2 maybe squad based MP isn't your thing

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Flashlight shake for the sake of the batteries.
What? I don't get it. Sometimes it prompts me to tilt the controller, what does that do?

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Can someone point me to the post that lists how to start the game on Survivor+ without first doing a Survivor run through?

What? I don't get it. Sometimes it prompts me to tilt the controller, what does that do?

The prompt is a PS3 controller tilting on it's side, hitting the bottom of the handle. It just tells you to do that when your flashlight starts flickering to get it to go back to normal.

Evolved1

It recharges your flashlight that is flickering/dying. You either shake it for a second or two or hit it, like you would a real flashlight that was going out.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Oh! Didn't even know the flashlight had some sort of recharge function, it never stopped working for me.

Lunchbox

Banned
I met the blackguy Harry or what's his face

how long left? have to go out soon so trying to finish, this sections dragging a bit

Man that hotel
underwater section sure was creepy. I kept telling myself that infected probably wouldn't show up in the water, so it wasn't that much of a problem at first. But once the creepy sound effects kicked in and the rats came running down the hallway I fucking panicked and just wanted to get out of there as soon as possible lol

Then I tried to start the generator and the infected showed up. When the bloater finally came along I was so done with that section I just threw my entire inventory at it :(

GQman2121

Banned
Man that hotel
underwater section sure was creepy. I kept telling myself that infected probably wouldn't show up in the water, so it wasn't that much of a problem at first. But once the creepy sound effects kicked in and the rats came running down the hallway I fucking panicked and just wanted to get out of there as soon as possible lol

Then I tried to start the generator and the infected showed up. When the bloater finally came along I was so done with that section I just threw my entire inventory at it :(

I'm assuming you're playing on normal?

I beat it on normal and now I'm doing survivor and that section was a bit different.
More infected attack before you reach the generator.

Evolved1

I beat it on normal and now I'm doing survivor and that section was a bit different.

Only if you grab the keycard first.

Just finished. Fucking incredible.

Everything is outstanding. The graphics, music, voice acting, dialogue. I loved the characters. This game is a piece of art. I loved the little moments that I will share in the spoiler thread. What a great game. Even the gunplay and crafting was fun!

Cannot wait for DLC / sequel.

Does enemies respawn in the story mode?
I swear that when I was in the hotel I killed everyone and was just running around collecting stuff I missed, and 3 dudes came out of nowhere. Not only that but a fire dude and 2 regular guys.

Evolved1

I swear that when I was in the hotel I killed everyone and was just running around collecting stuff I missed, and 3 dudes came out of nowhere. Not only that but a fire dude and 2 regular guys.

They do not ever respawn, but you can trigger new enemies... as you progress through a level.

I'm playing on hard. Like Evolved said
they only show up when you try to grab the keycard or start the generator, depending what you do first. Probably to optimize the scare effect, which worked splendidly on me lol

Yup, happened for me as well in that section. Kinda annoying.

Shady859

Nearing the end I think
ellie just choked out and locked up, her playable level : EPIC
and oh my oh my GTA had better bring serious greatness if it wants a shot at GOTY. This is easily in my top 3 favorite PS3 exclusives. I kinda regretting changing up and playing shoot first half way in. I already wanna load my save where I flipped strategy and play it again after I finish.

Also I recall early reports of older fat PS3s having troubles but luckily mine has just sounded like a jet engine on and off. I got 1 blue screen into a cut scene and got scared but the scene played and no harm. 80gb year 1 fatty.

Evolved1

I'm playing on hard. Like Evolved said
they only show up when you try to grab the keycard or start the generator, depending what you do first. Probably to optimize the scare effect, which worked splendidly on me lol

I laugh when people in walkthroughs are so fast to
turn on the generator. First time I saw that, I was playing hard/noLM and was like NOPE!. I decided I'd rather scout the area in the dark/quiet... since I just knew the generator was going to be an aggro machine.

Unfortunately,
I didn't have the same foresight for the key card. "Hmm what's this sparkly... *blood curdling screams* .....Oh shit!!!!".

haha

Sora_N

Are the amount of enemies the same in all difficulties? I finished my first playthrough in easy but might try NG+ in hard. Not sure if it would be a pain for me though.

Sora_N

I'm trying right now actually.

Supposedly you start NG+ from your save file (create a new save so you don't overwrite your old one, in case) and play through the prologue. After the prologue chapter save, and quit to main menu. Then you can chapter select to another difficulty? I'll know in a few minutes.

EDIT: Actually doesn't look like it worked? :/ I loaded up the game and don't see any of my upgrades, is it supposed to be like that?

GQman2121

Banned

I'm trying right now actually.

Supposedly you start NG+ from your save file (create a new save so you don't overwrite your old one, in case) and play through the prologue. After the prologue chapter save, and quit to main menu. Then you can chapter select to another difficulty? I'll know in a few minutes.

EDIT: Actually doesn't look like it worked? :/ I loaded up the game and don't see any of my upgrades, is it supposed to be like that?

Sora, you're on the right track.

- Before you do anything you need to delete the patches that are installed.

- Once you do that, start the game up and press circle to decline the most recent patch (1.2 I think)

- Select New Game Plus and play the prologue to its completion.

- When you get to the next chapter you save once you're able to take control of Joel in the street.

- Then you quit to the main menu.

- From the chapter select, select prologue AND THEN Survivor.

The game will start over for you, but you'll still be on your new game plus file only now playing you're on survivor difficulty. So it'll be a survivor plus run.

Hope that helps :)

Top Bottom