• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Thanks to some cool nights and playing until the wee, small hours of the morning, I finished it last night/this morning. Just over 16hrs on Normal. I really love the inventory/crafting in this and would love to see it in an open world RPG set in the same universe, or a medieval/fantasy setting.

Incredible game, but it didn't beat Uncharted 2 as my Game of the Generation.

Also, this ND team is incapable of making something that doesn't crash; both U1/U2 have late-game crashes that happen 90% of the time, and TLoU crashed 4 times on me: at the
ranch
; when
holding out with David
; during a random explosion; and another time for just picking something up.

P.S.

I hate how my lead pipe, steel bat, machete and a fucking axe are about as brittle as a stale baguette... stupid, stupid, stupid.

I couldn't disagree more. It's good thing that people have different taste.

I'm on my second play through, loving the tension in combat on survivor difficulty.

I'd be interested to understand why you preferred the gun combat in TLOU. Maybe I missed something but I went out of my way to avoid using guns when possible. I've also never been much of a fan of the gunplay in Uncharted so maybe it's just a Naughty Dog thing for me.

Did you play the other three games I referenced? Did you understand my comparison?

Thanks to some cool nights and playing until the wee, small hours of the morning, I finished it last night/this morning. Just over 16hrs on Normal. I really love the inventory/crafting in this and would love to see it in an open world RPG set in the same universe, or a medieval/fantasy setting.

Incredible game, but it didn't beat Uncharted 2 as my Game of the Generation.

Also, this ND team is incapable of making something that doesn't crash; both U1/U2 have late-game crashes that happen 90% of the time, and TLoU crashed 4 times on me: at the
ranch
; when
holding out with David
; during a random explosion; and another time for just picking something up.

P.S.

I hate how my lead pipe, steel bat, machete and a fucking axe are about as brittle as a stale baguette... stupid, stupid, stupid.
Glad to see you enjoyed it! NOW JOIN US IN MP!

Dibbz

Guys I'm trying to do the Survivor+ run and started it on Survivor, finished the first chapter then quit out and tried to start Survivor+ in the chapter select and it only lets me choose the standard modes not +. Any help?

Guys I'm trying to do the Survivor+ run and started it on Survivor, finished the first chapter then quit out and tried to start Survivor+ in the chapter select and it only lets me choose the standard modes not +. Any help?

it won't appear as "SURVIVOR+" but it should be a true plus campaign.

just to be completely clear, here's how I went about it. I started my NG+ with the easy difficulty (it was the only option available to me). I beat Hometown, saved and quit to the main menu. I chose Hometown in the chapter select, and was able to select the survivor difficulty. I saved over my existing NG+ save, and that was that. Survivor+ began. Actually I just realized, if you beat the game on survivor to begin with, you didn't even need to exploit the glitch lol.

You know, the "Winter" segment of TLoU is the best thing in years.

yes, it was amazing. Ellie too stronk!

gadwn

I'd be interested to understand why you preferred the gun combat in TLOU. Maybe I missed something but I went out of my way to avoid using guns when possible. I've also never been much of a fan of the gunplay in Uncharted so maybe it's just a Naughty Dog thing for me.

Did you play the other three games I referenced? Did you understand my comparison?

Well, everything in TLoU's combat is better than in Infinite. From the sound effects, AI, enemy designs, encounter designs, gore, rag doll, hit animations and animations overall. Everything just fits so perfectly together. Also, I usually prefer third person games.

And the combat in Uncharted is even better suited for my taste, there is some things there that I expect them to improve to the next game though.

Played Deus Ex: HR, not a fan of the gameplay in that one. And no, don't really see what connection you are trying to make. ^^

Wanny

This game has incredible clean sounds and awesome sound design. It's a shame that most of the best sounding game I ever heard are mostly on PS3. I want good sounds on PC too, you know.

Melchiah

Yeah, I'm really glad I avoided all threads about this game until I had finished it. Which was hard, because it took me nearly 2 weeks. People just don't know how to handle spoilers at all.

I even avoided Facebook news feed, and picture blogs until I had finished the game. The web is full of people who either want to spoil the fun for others, or just don't know any better.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
The farther I get through my Survivor run the more how accustomed and comfortable I am with the combat situations as they come. While my first shot through normal saw me having to restart multiple encounters (spotlight fight, flooded basement building, humvee running, power plant ect) now i'm playing Survival and i'm so in tune with this game that even those hard highlights of violent action don't seem as difficult not because i'm so perfect on the trigger (but i am...) but mostly because i'm just smarter now. Combinations of weapons that equal serious damage, how and when to shoot or throw a molotov ... It feels amazing to work my way through an entire and maybe getting killed twice on the hardest difficulty while that same spot had me starting over 10+ times on my first playthrough.

And NOT having the listening power actually makes you such a better player. Head on a swivel and all that... no manufacture sense of security... you check your 6 more often and everything.

Game keeps on delivering so hard. Gonna get back into multiplayer tonight after I make it to winter.

edit: Also realized just how used to the gun sway I am now.
The hanging trap section in Bill's town was a fuckin chore my first time through ... this time with no upgrades... I think they managed to threaten Ellie once. Headshots are a LOT more satisfying when you have to actually work for them.

Globox_82

Banned
Just finished it. Game of this generation for me. Wow. Uncharted 2 was something special, but this is on another level. Wonder what they will do with PS4?

solarus

Well, everything in TLoU's combat is better than in Infinite. From the sound effects, AI, enemy designs, encounter designs, gore, rag doll, hit animations and animations overall. Everything just fits so perfectly together. Also, I usually prefer third person games.

And the combat in Uncharted is even better suited for my taste, there is some things there that I expect them to improve to the next game though.

Played Deus Ex: HR, not a fan of the gameplay in that one. And no, don't really see what connection you are trying to make. ^^
Plus infinite's AI was just as pathetic and useless as bioshock 1, enemy fodder that usually just mindlessly charges at you and strikes you.

woober

Just got the game a few days ago and I'm enjoying it so far. Too bad about the frame rate. It seems like its always under 30 fps. It makes rotating the camera pretty distracting.

Just got the game a few days ago and I'm enjoying it so far. Too bad about the frame rate. It seems like its always under 30 fps. It makes rotating the camera pretty distracting.

Huh? Is your framerate chugging? Mine was always smooth like butter. I think I saw a framerate drop only once or twice in the entire game.

Ricker

Thank god that season is over...the effects and all where cool but I must of died 20 times in a few of the sections lol...thank you Naughty Dog for a empty drawer when I have nothing but 3 bullets left and half my health hehe...

Holy cow! I was playing on Survivor mode and by the very end of the
hospital
I had no ammo or anything else besides one hit left on a crowbar and about a segment of health left. I was looking for collectibles thinking I had taken everyone out, and this guy comes up behind me and strangles me. I break loose, and we keep strangling each other 'till I hit him with a brick and took him out with melee; Phew!

-MD-

You know, the "Winter" segment of TLoU is the best thing in years.

The game as a whole is the best thing in years. This is one of the rare games that gets praised by both reviewers and gamers that isn't overrated to hell and back.

Lookin' at you, Infinite.

I'm having a hard time thinking about going back to Uncharted's cinematic ledge-grabbing, boring puzzles and PG-13 cover-based combat after TLOU

one of the best games in years. really reminded me of RE4 not in gameplay but just the pace was perfect for me. one thing i also loved is that ND did not rely on cheap "jump scares". SO MANY times there would be a ladder climbing scene or whatever and i said already here is the camera and i guarantee its going to pan out and BAM A ZOMBIE OUT OF NOWHERE WILL ATTACK! well this didn't happen. there was a cutscene or two where it did but those were few and far between.

i loved the graphics. not sure how they did what they did and i'm sure if i really scrutinized the graphics on a scene by scene, frame by frame basis i would find some major flaws but on the surface wow it looked incredible. as someone said above the winter portion was especially impressive in the graphical AND sound department.

the voice acting was maybe the best in videogame history from top to bottom. i know thats not saying much given that most games trot out some god awful VA but there is some good stuff out there and this game tops it.

the ending was really good as well. on one hand they build up this relationship all game and
i didn't want to see ellie die and i didn't want to see joel die (i guessed joel would die saving ellie). but then faced with the alternative which was "saving humanity" (and i don't believe that would have been the case).... wow what a gut punch. may have been even more powerful if they gave you the "option" as the player and constructed 2 endings although i applaud ND for telling the story they wanted to tell.

also not to get too off topic, but this is how you do a AAA game. i will never sell this game and most games i buy i just trade them in or sell them on amazon or whatever. but every now and again a game comes along that i just will not sell because i know i'm going to want to come back to the game. maybe not next week or next month but i will come back. this game, bioshock, valkyria chronicles, red dead, and others. this is how you "combat" used game sales is by making a game that is so good it doesn't even cross your mind to sell it back

Showaddy

I'm having a hard time thinking about going back to Uncharted's cinematic ledge-grabbing, boring puzzles and PG-13 cover-based combat after TLOU

Having replayed the trilogy recently I'd say that Uncharted 2 still holds up really well. Uncharted 3 less so and I'm finding Uncharted 1 to be basically unplayable for me now.

You're missing the point. I said that I don't like the gunplay when stealth is broken. It's one of the weakest parts of the game (along with the encounter telegraphing via bottles/bricks). That's why I generally just restarted when I screwed up since the stealth stuff IS very good (even if they ignore your AI pals). That's how I play most games like Deus Ex and Dishonored where stealth is a option.

That's about all there is to complain about.

mokeyjoe

Thank you for saying this. I thought I was nuts that parts of the game have reminded me of the Goldeneye campaign. Just a feeling, can't even pinpoint why.

I think it's the mixture of stealth and gunplay. Generally in Goldeneye you're better off stealthing but chances are things will devolve into a firefight. Also the way the enemies talk when they're looking for you is very Perfect Dark

I've just started my second playthrough on Survivor. I was a bit concerned because I found some parts tricky in Normal but I'm actually finding this easier although I'm only up to the
Capitol building
so far. I guess I just hadn't learned to play it properly for the first half. I also seem to be much more aware of my surroundings now listen mode is gone, ironically. Supplies are excruciatingly tight though, it seems nearly ever drawer is empty, and clickers are definitely bastards now, they're so easy to set off. I haven't noticed the other enemies being much tougher TBH, but that might be because they barely get the chance to see me :)

Way back when I first started playing it I complained about the combat but now I think I was wrong to. It's really good once you know what you're doing. Much deeper and more varied than most TPS games. Once you can read the situations and know when to run, when to stealth and when to shoot everything falls into place and it can get really satisfying. There are so many ways to tackle each encounter and it's really rewarding working out a plan and then adapting moment to moment. I just managed to take out 7 clickers with one molotov in an opportunistic moment. I think learning to 're-hide' effectively after discovery has been the most useful revelation. Better use of distraction has been helpful as well.

For a game that's so focused on story the gameplay has a surprising amount of depth and replayability.

mokeyjoe

You're missing the point. I said that I don't like the gunplay when stealth is broken. It's one of the weakest parts of the game (along with the encounter telegraphing via bottles/bricks). That's why I generally just restarted when I screwed up since the stealth stuff IS very good (even if they ignore your AI pals). That's how I play most games like Deus Ex and Dishonored where stealth is a option.

I'm no expert but I think the key when stealth is broken is not to try to shoot your way out. Just turn and run and find some cover. You'll always get screwed in a firefight in the open. Also, enemies can lose track of you once you've run and hidden, giving you back your advantage. If you can get out of their line of sight, even if they know where you are, there's a good chance they'll take cover too instead of chasing you so you've got a moment to recompose yourself. This won't work against infected but runners are easy to melee and clickers are slow and clumsy so you can put some distance between yourself and them giving yourself enough time to line up a shot. Running away and hiding is is one of the key tactics so I'm finding.

But yeah, I still find myself restarting. I always feel that it's because of my mistakes though.

This game has really weird pacing...
I heard about the season change thing and felt like I was making no progress as summer was taking a very long time, then it changes to fall and I check my percentage and it's around the 70 percentile range... now I'm in winter and it's in the 80's. I really have no idea what to expect because of this. I'm also really fucking drunk and when Joel falls off the balcony at the college and got impaled I covered my mouth in shock lol

Naughty Dog is one of the best things Sony has going for the Playstation brand... I mean, just wow. Amazing.

Combat would've been like half as fun for me had I restarted encounters when i got spotted. The beauty of the combat system in this game only starts when the enemies are alerted to your presence, the human enemies anyway. It's where ALL of my gameplay highlights stem from. I'd agree that it's much MUCH more fun than Bioshock Infinite in that regard. Admittedly, I'm much more of a fan of this style of gunplay over BI's more standard arcade shooting gallery. The skyhook traversal was fun, but the sound design, brutality, and tension in TLoU eclipses it, easily.

aparisi2274

Just made it to the 'Fall' season, and god damn it, this game has me all wound up again!!!

I felt so fucking bad for Sam and Henry. Uggh, that entire cut scene just killed me. Is there a variation of that cutscene? You know dependent on who you saved from the clickers when they were pinned down outside the house with the sniper rifle?

LuuKyK

I felt so fucking bad for Sam and Henry. Uggh, that entire cut scene just killed me. Is there a variation of that cutscene? You know dependent on who you saved from the clickers when they were pinned down outside the house with the sniper rifle?

No.

Kopite

Just finished it. A bit over hyped but the gameplay is fantastic.The winter segment is boss too.I finished it on normal, if I choose the difficulty of my next playthrough to be Survivor will it be survivor+?

I would have done the same.

Survivor doesn't seem too bad so far. I'm not getting much supplies, but I haven't needed to use much either. Even in forced fights, I don't use my guns much. It's mostly bottle/brick + punch and run away when mobbed or shoot 1 bullet and punch.

Survivor doesn't seem too bad so far. I'm not getting much supplies, but I haven't needed to use much either. Even in forced fights, I don't use my guns much. It's mostly bottle/brick + punch and run away when mobbed or shoot 1 bullet and punch.

Your gonna go far. If you can nail down this technique, you'll clear Survivor no problem. I've beaten Survivor twice, first time was much harder until I learned to use bottle/bricks+punch/sticks.

Man, this game is incredible for it's marketing and style alone. Every piece of marketing has been keeping the mood and feel alive, simple elegant advertisements and usually black and white with minimalism as an importance. You don't see that too often (not sure how Sony would allow it)... I'm not sure if there were any billboards, but if there were you know they'd be simple black and white with the title being the main focus; you wouldn't see a screaming Joel shooting a clicker in the face while Ellie is screaming.

It's just refreshing to see an entire new mature tone taken to a game and I really feel this is an AMAZING start of a new generation. A look into how things could be and how this industry can be taken more seriously (when it wants to). I cannot wait for this next generation, it's gonna be huge.

And it's not just ND that is to congratulate for that accomplishment but Sony also. This really shows their attitude and their complete trust in a company to do what they want to do... and it seems like they are embracing that philosophy with the PS4 fully and I hope it pays off.

gadwn

Well yeah, that much I understood. I agree about the bottles/bricks thingy, but stealth isn't necessary to make the battles awesome, the outcome changes so much based on your actions, it's all part of the fun and unpredictable nature of the combat. Sounds like a chore to restart encounters like that tbh.

Usobuko

Banned
Before I play this game, I heard the resources are scarce. So I save everything possible, stealth kill as much as possible, brick and bottle being my best alternatives because they are in abundance. I'll even restart the encounter a couple of times if I screw up somehow. Comically, I finished the game without using my Assault Rifle and Flame-thrower on Hard because I keep anticipating some tough boss fights at the end. I wanted to unload my arsenal but I could never guess which encounter will be the 'last'.

MrKnives

Before I play this game, I heard the resources are scarce. So I save everything possible, stealth kill as much as possible, brick and bottle being my best alternatives because they are in abundance. I'll even restart the encounter a couple of times if I screw up somehow. Comically, I finished the game without using my Assault Rifle and Flame-thrower on Hard because I keep anticipating some tough boss fights at the end. I wanted to unload my arsenal but I could never guess which encounter will be the 'last'.

I'm like that in all of my games. I still remember finishing Half-Life with a huge arsenal because I just kept using the alien weapon all the freaking time because I was waiting something huge to come where I needed them, and I just didn't.

Yeah I'm currently sitting at 51% on my first hard run and my inventory is maxed out lol

Maximum number of everything and a shit ton of bullets lol

Top Bottom