• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

The amount of people that are failing to realize how many combat sections of the game they can bypass with stealth or a simple bottle is quite astonishing.

There are a bunch that you can't skip with stealth, but some that have been pointed out in this page
the resort section in Winter
are completely optional.

Yeah, but the problem is, I've been trying to stealth the entire game,and if my plan goes to shit, I have to just improvise and sqeak by with a bullet or two left. Playing this way is very fun, however
in the winter section, that really isn't an option, now every time my plan goes to shit, I have to reload or watch my characters death animation,which is killing the immersion for me.

Finished my Survivor+ run last night, I can confirm that the glitch still works on the latest patch. I'm still missing a few single player trophies... the one I'm most annoyed about is the optional conversations one. I have 35/37, and I only know of one that I missed. SIGH.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Vire said:
Yay, I think normal is the right way to go for the first time, it'll avoid some of the frustrations at the end of the game that you may reach on Hard.

I agree. The nice thing about normal is that you are free to play the game however you want without it being overly frustrating. On hard, you can still brute-force sections, but it can get pretty rough due to the AI being a lot more aggressive, and imho twitchy at times detecting you when you're sneaking.

The plus modes are significantly tougher for both normal and hard, making some sections painful to get through.

I'm not far into Survivor, but so far I'd say its actually quite a bit less difficult than hard+. It feels a lot different due to the scarcity of ammo and items, but in the end all that does is just force you to take a stealthy approach when otherwise you'd be more combative.

RoKKeR

At what point have you gotten now that made you say that ? Quite a bit past the opening sequence I bet.
Just finished the sequence after
you discover Ellie's bite
. Just the presentation is phenomenal, and the gameplay is so unbelievably solid.

Played the game at a friends house in two sittings, couldn't stop thinking about it though. Just bought the game and PS3 from Amazon.

Can't wait to play again.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Ok, The Last of Us is my third favorite game of this gen, only after Uncharted 2 and Red Dead Redemption.

But real talk; Joel not carrying a knife is just fucking stupid. Absolutely silly...

Vire

Ok, The Last of Us is my third favorite game of this gen, only after Uncharted 2 and Red Dead Redemption.

But real talk; Joel not carrying a knife is just fucking stupid. Absolutely silly...

He does carry knives, they just so happen to break after two times of use.

#hardtimesintheapocalypse.

A fence cutter or wire cutter would probably be useful too.

RoKKeR

So, is it alright that I absolutely sucked shit in my first all infected encounter? I feel like stealth is blown a lot more easily and things really go to hell once you get spotted, especially with a Clicker involved.

So, is it alright that I absolutely sucked shit in my first all infected encounter? I feel like stealth is blown a lot more easily and things really go to hell once you get spotted, especially with a Clicker involved.

That's probably the hardest encounter in the game to fully stealth.

Vire

Hehe don't worry about it.

If you watch the Youtube playthroughs on that section it's pretty funny seeing people's reactions.

Everyone ends up panicking and running around like a lunatic with a 2x4. Lot's of runners make it very difficult to stealth.

Wickwire

I beat the game last night on hard, clocked in around 19.5 hours. This game just made me feel bad, like after every gaming session I left feeling worse than I did before. Its an amazing game but I don't think I want to give it another play through.

I just ran into a problem, I'm at about 92 percent, and whenever I die or anything, it reloads, but then all the ammo and stuff that I just spent before I died is still gone. What am I supposed to do? My only other save is before winter, and I really hated that part.

Totally normal. The first infection encounter is kinda hard actually when you play the game for the first time. In case you don't know it yet, you can stun a clicker with a brick or a bottle and then kill it instantly if you hit it with your melee weapon while sprinting.

taizuke

Think I'll start on a Survivor play through without using guns throughout. Considering I don't live in the US if/when a zombie/fungus outbreak ensues I'm not going to have access to a gun.

Good luck with that. Survivor forces you to use EVERYTHING, even the smoke bomb and flamethrower which i never even touched on my normal playthroughs.

RoKKeR

Totally normal. The first infection encounter is kinda hard actually when you play the game for the first time. In case you don't know it yet, you can stun a clicker with a brick or a bottle and then kill it instantly if you hit it with your melee weapon while sprinting.
I did not, that's good to know.

The
clicker stealth section
is also tough, but I got past it and I think I have just a little bit of a better feel of how combat flows. It's tense as hell! Palms are sweating like mad.

The amount of people that are failing to realize how many combat sections of the game they can bypass with stealth or a simple bottle is quite astonishing.

There are a bunch that you can't skip with stealth, but some that have been pointed out in this page
the resort section in Winter
are completely optional.

I can imagine many people get into combat because they have no idea where to go. Often it's hard to tell where you are supposed to go in a section and you sneak one way to find nothing but a wall in your way since they game doesn't hold your hand with arrows telling you at all times which way to go. People probably often will end up going the hard way through a section.

Jacob4815

Mmh... very strange.

Completed the game (HARD mode)... now I'm going to find all the collectibles so I'm using"Chapter Select " very often.
I overwrited every time my game save, and everything was fine... but today selecting a chapter all my stats, movie list and chapter list reset!
Only the collectibles were untouched.

Is this a glitch? It looks... random.

Shinjiru

I finished my first playthrough the other night. I played on normal and my total time played was 46:28:40. Excellent game! And I can definitely see myself playing through it a few more times before I put it away for a while. I started up a Survivor playthrough last night and I can tell it's going to be much more of a challenge.

Obviously, I took my time and searched every nook and cranny, but I still managed to miss some collectibles.
Here are my collectible stats from my first playthrough. Spoilered just to be safe.
83 out of 85 Artifacts
21 out of 30 Firefly Pendants
10 out of 12 Training Manuals
14 out of 14 Comic Books

and
12 out of 13 Shiv Doors
32 out of 37 Conversations

I know that I missed the "Dawn of the Wolf" conversation. Not sure where that happens, though. I couldn't get any converstaion button prompts to show when I got to the billboard of it in Pittsburgh.

High fives to all the Naughty Dogs that worked on the game. I loved the Uncharted trilogy but this might be their finest game yet.

Now I can finally give the spoiler thread a look.

This game is frustrating if you use a third party controller. :p My controller doesn't have the rumble/shaking feature, so I'm basically screwed in dark areas were my flash light goes out. Almost tempted to buy a Dualshock controller just so I don't have to deal with this anymore.

Man, I was really starting to dig this game, but now
I'm in winter, when you get control of Ellie after she tells David she's infected and you have to run around in the snow storm and you can't see anything. I feel like this game is just shoot out after shootout at this point, and now I'm frustrated, don't know where to go, and keep getting killed.
I was planning on finishing this right now, but I just yelled out "man fuck this" and turned the damn thing off.

You can literally stealth the entire winter section, even on survivor.

Endo Punk

My local game store was out of copies and had to get more. The last time that happened with a PS3 exclusive was GT5 in 2010. Looks like Sony has a keeper here. I just think there is more potential sequel material with Uncharted than TLOU, and even though I prefer The LOU over Uncharted trilogy I still rather see Drake and gang on PS4 than Joel.
TLOU wrapped up in such a bittersweet and poetic manner
I feel revisiting the world will just take away from the characters and journey they went through. I put this game next to ICO and SoTC where they are so perfect in what they deliver I feel one and done is best here. And besides I really want ND to create another new IP after UC4.

SuperPac

In case anyone here might be interested, we the hosts of the Player One Podcast put together a spoilercast on The Last of Us. Check it out, won't you?

The Last of Us: Spoiled in 60 Minutes

Join Mike, CJ, Greg and Phil for an hour and 40 minute discussion of Naughty Dog’s PS3 action-adventure title, The Last of Us. It goes without saying that we will be spoiling major plot points in The Last of Us in this podcast, but there are also spoilers (some minor) for a few other games/movies/etc.: The Walking Dead (game), Bioshock Infinite, The Road and No Country For Old Men. If you have not played any of The Last of Us yet, what are you waiting for? Get on that, and then come back and listen later.

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/The_Last_of_Us_Spoilercast.mp3
Blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/thelastofus
iTunes: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=202883543

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
....they should, I dunno, maybe put npcs like Ellie in a "safe" location during encounters while Joel scour ahead. Then maybe Joel can radio'ed her or something giving directions to pass through encounters and the like if he didn't do battle/didn't kill anyone/thing during his passing.

I don't mind playing the same section twice as a different character, compared to what we have.

"Where are they?" shouted the hunters/army. And yet they ignore Ellie/Billie/whoever running their asses around next to their faces.

"Clickers detect noise!" they said, and yet Ellie/Billie/whoever can run around whatever bumping and hushing and shouting near them invisible-like.

I actually had an event where I sneaked behind some guy to strangle them, only for Ellie to suddenly ran in front of me disrupting my path and a second right after that the guy turned around and... well, this is my face --> :\ :\ :\ :\ :\

Also, occasionally the game "cheats", which I don't like. Example:
the school section on the entrance with all the school bus
. Here I was taking the infected systematically one by one with stealth and then all of sudden lots of them appear when I pass a certain "point" even though I specifically checked their whereabouts before and they didn't exist there before. Sudden spawning just to force combat, that's lame :\\\\

For a game trying so hard to appear "real", this stuff really breaks immersion, even more so than the whole "Drake the mass murderer" thing

Vire

....they should, I dunno, maybe put npcs like Ellie in a "safe" location during encounters while Joel scour ahead. Then maybe Joel can radio'ed her or something giving directions to pass through encounters and the like if he didn't do battle/didn't kill anyone/thing during his passing.

I don't mind playing the same section twice as a different character, compared to what we have.

"Where are they?" shouted the hunters/army. And yet they ignore Ellie/Billie/whoever running their asses around next to their faces.

"Clickers detect noise!" they said, and yet Ellie/Billie/whoever can run around whatever bumping and hushing and shouting near them invisible-like.

I actually had an event where I sneaked behind some guy to strangle them, only for Ellie to suddenly ran in front of me disrupting my path and a second right after that the guy turned around and... well, this is my face --> :\ :\ :\ :\ :\

Also, occasionally the game "cheats", which I don't like. Example:
the school section on the entrance with all the school bus
. Here I was taking the infected systematically one by one with stealth and then all of sudden lots of them appear when I pass a certain "point" even though I specifically checked their whereabouts before and they didn't exist there before. Sudden spawning just to force combat, that's lame :\\\\

For a game trying so hard to appear "real", this stuff really breaks immersion, even more so than the whole "Drake the mass murderer" thing
The whole point was that Ellie can handle situations herself and that she is capable on her own.

As you get further into the game, she starts becoming more and more aggressive, (shooting, throwing bricks, stabbing people from behind)

Doing what you said would defeat that purpose and would make Ellie more of a damsel in distress. I'm very thankful they didn't go that route.

Showaddy

I finished my first playthrough the other night. I played on normal and my total time played was 46:28:40. Excellent game! And I can definitely see myself playing through it a few more times before I put it away for a while. I started up a Survivor playthrough last night and I can tell it's going to be much more of a challenge.

Obviously, I took my time and searched every nook and cranny, but I still managed to miss some collectibles.
Here are my collectible stats from my first playthrough. Spoilered just to be safe.
83 out of 85 Artifacts
21 out of 30 Firefly Pendants
10 out of 12 Training Manuals
14 out of 14 Comic Books

and
12 out of 13 Shiv Doors
32 out of 37 Conversations

I know that I missed the "Dawn of the Wolf" conversation. Not sure where that happens, though. I couldn't get any converstaion button prompts to show when I got to the billboard of it in Pittsburgh.

High fives to all the Naughty Dogs that worked on the game. I loved the Uncharted trilogy but this might be their finest game yet.

Now I can finally give the spoiler thread a look.

That's impossible. What the hell happened? Did you go into a Coma with the game un-paused or something?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The whole point was that Ellie can handle situations herself and that she is capable on her own.

As you get further into the game, she starts becoming more and more aggressive, (shooting, throwing bricks, stabbing people from behind)

Doing what you said would defeat that purpose and would make Ellie more of a damsel in distress. I'm very thankful they didn't go that route.

You don't agree that her bumping around the enemies/infected and yet they ignore her as if she wasn't even there as immersion-breaking?

It's such a really silly thing, despite the "whole point."

Vire

You don't agree that her bumping around the enemies/infected and yet they ignore her as if she wasn't even there as immersion-breaking?

It didn't really happen to me beyond once or twice in the intro with Tess.

So no, I didn't find it to be a big deal at all. I rather have that also, than her blowing your cover unfairly.

Melchiah

The encounter that was also in the demo was quite hard at first, and it took me about half a dozen times to clear it. I managed to stealth kill all the runners, after I learned their routes. Then I just shot the Clicker from a distance, as I didn't want to risk it and be forced to repeat the encounter from the beginning.

It's something forgivable in my opinion. Joel scouting ahead and leaving the NPCs behind cannot work in the multitude of scenarios in the game. NPCs getting spotted by AI through no fault of your own is a recipe for the most frustrating game on earth. Only option was to make NPCs "invisible" without you having to babysit them.

Hopefully TLoU 2 on PS4 can bypass this limitation. I'm not quite sure why AI has not developed on such a rapid pace as visuals and audio.

So I just watched the documentary film about the behind the scenes of the game....was I the only one who had NO idea who voiced David until I saw the mo-cap footage?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It didn't really happen to me beyond once or twice in the intro with Tess.

So no, I didn't find it to be a big deal at all. I rather have that also, than her blowing your cover unfairly.

What?

Sorry, but I actually find this rather hard to believe.

I strive to be stealthy as much as possible during all encounters and Ellie/NPCs running around/bumping enemies or passing right next in front of their faces and yet they ignore her/them is an occasion often happening--like, real often. It just looked bloody silly.

It's something forgivable in my opinion. Joel scouting ahead and leaving the NPCs behind cannot work in the multitude of scenarios in the game. NPCs getting spotted by AI through no fault of your own is a recipe for the most frustrating game on earth. Only option was to make NPCs "invisible" without you having to babysit them.

Hopefully TLoU 2 on PS4 can bypass this limitation. I'm not quite sure why AI has not developed on such a rapid pace as visuals and audio.

Yeah I know, I mean, I can understand that. I admit, honestly I have no idea how they can solve this issue; my idea was just an idea, to be frank, to make it perhaps more believable.

Ah well, not really a big deal in the grandest scheme of things.

Anyways, what's the best gun to upgrade? The shotgun perhaps? My stealth-tendency playthrough really detest forced-combat situations (*suddenly appearing infected out of nowhere bullshit crap!*) but this game offers plenty of such scenarios, I guess, so I should upgrade some of my guns to defend myself during such encounters.

Melchiah

Anyways, what's the best gun to upgrade? The shotgun perhaps? My stealth-tendency playthrough really detest forced-combat situations (*suddenly appearing infected out of nowhere bullshit crap!*) but this game offers plenty of them, I guess, so I should upgrade some of my guns to defend myself during such encounters.

I upgraded the shotgun and
shorty & flamethrower
as much as I could, as they came handy against the infected. The rest of the points I put on the revolver and rifle.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Hmmmm.

I am thinking Shotgun and Bow (can't decide which one is better improved first before the other) and Hunting Rifle for some sniper action.

Hmmm, but in all out combat situation Bow/Hunting Rifle maybe will become less useful than I want... Hmm, decision decision.

Top Bottom