• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Jobbs

Banned
I can't think of another game in recent memory, particularly on the scope of TLOU, that treats its audience like adults. Like we're not morons.

I hope its apparent success encourages publishers to reduce the bulging hero shouting slogans and every emotion screamed on the surface so it's obvious to everyone type stuff in their games. At least sometimes. Or tells them that they can tackle emotions in a real way in an AAA game.

The triumph of TLOU, in my opinion, is not just the incredible story, characters, and acting, but the way all of this is mixed with traditional nuts and bolts gameplay in a way that doesn't feel wrong. I want more of this.

I want to take this game to California and marry it. I think that's what the supreme court ruling means I can do. Someone tell me if I'm wrong.

tzare

So, those who have finished the game, do you see room for a sequel/prequel/side story? because the game has been quite successful and that is what will probably happen

Today I had the urge to finally go and buy it. I've been to 2 big electronics stores today and the game was sold out at both. Gawd damn it.

So, those who have finished the game, do you see room for a sequel/prequel/side story? because the game has been quite successful and that is what will probably happen

I think in general we're split between wanting a whole new character unrelated with this one, or continue with
grown up Ellie.

I often have the feeling that enemies come out from nowhere and my whole scouting the area and being extra carefull is useless when somewhere a guy pops out "There he is" calls and the first shot accross the map hits me.

I tried what happens if I use listening mode - I find the same 4 guys I scouted earlier and when I am ready to kill them in the middle their backup arrives. Really annoys me because now I skip scouting and just take a quick look before starting to shoot. I don't mind difficult games but somehow I have a feeling that the AI "cheats".
Happened for me as well 2 times, but not more than that. Most of the time you can really stealth kill everyone and move on.

Now watch you step as you're going up 'cause it's going to be a little-

Pssh.

This game man. >.<
Sad scene incoming in 3....2....1 :(

Jarnet87

I think in general we're split between wanting a whole new character unrelated with this one, or continue with
grown up Ellie.

I thought
the Joel and Ellie ending was great since it was leaving us with some uncertainty
. Given Naughty Dog's history I think a sequel is more then likely though it would be awesome if they left the game as a stand alone and not turn it into a multiple game franchise.

Jobbs

Banned
grown up Ellie.

I don't know if I like this. Maybe just a couple years later. I don't want some massively different Ellie. I like the wise cracking kid. Never thought I'd say that about any character, but here I am.

Andrew.

Banned
I didn't put any points on the bow, as it didn't feel like a weapon I'd use when in trouble. In fact, I didn't use it at all when I could use the other weapons..

The fully upgraded bow is fucking incredible with zero sway and it's the only weapon that you can use for distant stealth kills, including Clickers as long as its a direct head shot.

Obviously you dont really use it when you're in trouble. However, it's best usefulness is the fact that it keeps you out of trouble.

Bow and rifle all day son. This game has one of the most satisfying bolt actions Ive experienced since the re4 days.

The Jer

I hope the Single Player DLC that is released is about
What happens to Ellie and Joel after they return to Tommy's Town, I want to know if they live the rest of their lives in peace and happiness, or as much peace and happiness as you can have living in that world.

I hope not.
As much as it pissed me off, ending the game the way they did was awesome. Really ballsy. It would ruin it to continue the story from where they left off. Cut to black and leaving it was a good way to end it.
Honestly, this is a game doesn't really need any single player DLC or anything added to it. It's perfect with everything that's there already - more stuff may cheapen what's already there.

ScOULaris

I agree about the bow and the rifle being the two best overall weapons in the game. The flamethrower was the best for dealing with the infected, though. It almost trivialized them once I got it. Didn't even have to worry about bloaters anymore.

I just beat the game yesterday, and I absolutely loved it. What a great example of mature storytelling, tasteful restraint, gripping gameplay, and masterful pacing. Neil Druckmann is now officially one of the industry's most talented creators. I can't wait to see what this team cranks out next.

Watching the documentary really gave me a sense of awe with regard to the staggering amount of work and talent that goes into a game of this scope and quality.

Jobbs

Banned
Playing this game on Survivor is an incredible experience. There's nothing else quite like it. 28% so far (my first run was on Hard with listen mode).

My first play through was on hard, and I found it at times challenging, but generally not too hard. I plan to play survivor soon. I just need more time before I go back in,
it's all still a bit "feels heavy" for me to deal with again right now.

Andrew.

Banned
I agree about the bow and the rifle being the two best overall weapons in the game. The flamethrower was the best for dealing with the infected, though. It almost trivialized them once I got it. Didn't even have to worry about bloaters anymore..

Ah yes the flamethrower. Those three weapons are really all you need. Rifle and flamer also are the only two weapons with upgradable damage.

Vanilla Survivor without using the + glitch is an incredible experience.

Septimius

Would anyone be interested in a prequel DLC covering Joel and Tess' relationship?

Tess was well characterized, but just uninteresting as a character, to me. I can't say a DLC covering more of their story would be interesting to me. Tommy/Marlene/Joel seems to have some more meat on the bones, and could shed light on just what the Fireflies is.

The Jer

I just finished the game on normal (w/ no listen) and I would like to play the game on survivor+ for my second play through. I remember seeing a post saying it was possible. Can anyone explain (or give a link) on how to do this?

Nugg

I want a
David
prequel DLC with his side of the story. I want to see how
his group sees Joel and Ellie as monsters killing and torturing everyone. Also Nolan North.

Akira_83

Banned
man i really hope this game picks up

bought it on a whim and it downloaded last night

started this morning and played through the intro video and about 30 mins in after title sequence before work...

didnt find the opening all that exciting or as amazing as some have made it out to be (brad on giant bomb said its one of the best openings he's ever seen in a game)

i guess its hard to find it that intense when everything is so scripted and linear. When you are forced to walk forward horribly slow and theres nothing to interact with except this one door with a triangle icon its like an interactive cutscene... id honestly just rather watch a cutscene instead of holding my thumb up all the way while she painfully walks slowly towards the next scripted event. Then forget about a real sense of danger. Oh shit that infected guy is gonna get me! *boom* "oh wow my friend that had fallen back just showed up miraculously and shot him*... 2 minutes later "oh man this military guy is going to kill us both!" *boom* "oh shit its my friend again, he showed up at just the right time again!" phew....
and even now 20 years later, its still moving at a snails pace. I feel like naughty dog keeps wanting to slow me down so i look around and take in the environment? like "hey we spent all this time making the foliage and buildings we want you to see it!"

but in reality the game is not visually interesting at all. A good developer shouldnt have to slow you down to take stuff in... it should happen naturally.

A good example is Crysis 1. you can move forward as fast or slow as you want, but i found myself stopping ALL the time to stand there on the edge of some cliff and just stare at a vista in the background. In Bioshock i used to stop and admire the water effects because I thought they looked awesome, not because Irrational shoved them in my face

theres no reason i should have to walk this slow with Tess when setting out from the city the first time. Theres no sense of impending danger or anything, no story justification. ive even unlocked the run option via tutorial prior to this... why is everything FUCKING WALKING

i assume this changes once i really get started in the game and everything lets loose... atleast i sure hope so

also, this game already has cases of the annoying as fuck "push forward to cinematically squeeze through a tight space" ala Uncharted and Tomb Raider and i hate that shit too

sorry for the rant, not trying to be all down on the game with only like 30-40 mins played... but usually a game has that first hour to really grab me and make me feel like im in for something special and i know im gonna wanna stick it out, and its not doing a good job at that

Akira_83

Banned
Ironically, the character in your avatar is from a game that has that exact same problem, but longer.

Persona 4 golden definitely has a really slow start

but i guess the difference is it didnt feel like any other game i had played at the time so i was very interested in the premise

I was immediately drawn to the Inaba setting and the dynamics between Dojima and Nanako, it easily kept me drawn until the first dungeon

then after thats over the game starts flying by at a rapid pace IMO and it hasnt held back since

iSnakeTk

Should be put to work in a coal mine.
The shotgun was my best friend in this game.

Hardly used the bow and rifle on my first playtrough. But you have to use everything to survive in surviver+.

Vashetti

Banned
long ass post

You've barely touched the game.

Look back on comments in this thread for people with the exact same opinion.

Then they come back after progressing further into the game and thanking GAF profusely for encouraging them to continue.

The first 2-3 hours are slow and gradual (purposefully).

Trust me that it gets much, much better.

These 10/10 reviews aren't bullshit.

My ideal sequel:

MASSIVE SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY

A 17 year old Ellie meets somebody who tells her about a new faction that is looking to develop a vaccine. Ellie is now mistrustful of Joel having found out about his lie, but on the way to forgiving him as she feels that the Fireflies also tricked her into agreeing to the surgery without informing her of the sacrifice.

After finding out about the new faction, Ellie sneaks out of wherever she and Joel are hiding, and makes her way to the new faction. Joel tracks down the guy who convinced Ellie to seek this new faction, and interrogates him into revealing her destination.

The game is then essentially a game of cat-and-mouse, as you track Ellie through the country (maybe even into Mexico), going through the same cities from different perspectives. So it would go Chapter 3: Ellie - Washington DC subway, Chapter 4: Joel - Washington DC streets etc.

As the journey unfolds, amidst numerous close calls, inadvertant helping hands, and maybe even a few conversations over a radio, Joel discovers that the faction looking for a 'cure' is in fact tring to create a weaponised version of the spore to wipe out threats to their aim of becoming powerful enough to rule over what's left of humanity, while they wipe out the Infected

The race to the faction then becomes a matter of humanity-wide importance, as Joel needs to catch up with Ellie, while she doesn't believe his claims because of the lie he told at the end of the first game

And yes, I'm aware of the massive problem presented by the comic-book silliness of the new faction's aims. I can't think of a reasonable mission they would have that both fits the tone of the game, and puts Ellie/humanity in harm's way to an extent that Joel would follow her across the country

Septimius

Persona 4 golden definitely has a really slow start

but i guess the difference is it didnt feel like any other game i had played at the time so i was very interested in the premise

I was immediately drawn to the Inaba setting and the dynamics between Dojima and Nanako, it easily kept me drawn until the first dungeon

then after thats over the game starts flying by at a rapid pace IMO and it hasnt held back since

I don't know what to tell you. It's a bit like being mad at Batman Begins to show how Batman became Batman. I don't get how you could view the opening in such a way. Sure, it's linear and scripted, but it does a great job of setting the tone and showing what's going on. As both a tutorial and story-mechanic, it does a great job. If you don't feel a real sense of danger, I don't know what to tell you. I guess we can all make the scariest of movies silly of we imagine all characters as Pez-dispensers, but that's not at the fault of the movie.

If you're not pulled in by the story, then it might just be a case of "why the hell is this game good?" - if you're not bitten by the hype, try to calm your expectations down. If you're hyped, you'd swallow anything, but if you aren't, it's easy to be oppositional. Let the game show you, there's no need to fight it.

As for the next segment being slow, it's well deserved. If you don't want to see what the world has become, or get eased into the world, as feel yourself sink into the world with the pace going up (because contrasts are good), then it may not be the game for you. But that's not to say the game didn't grip you, it just seems you weren't in the right mood, and that an insta-shooter action game might've hit your itch better.

So I don't know. You've played about 4% of the game. When you want to know what the structure of the world is, and you care about the name of various characters, you can't just go "Here's Bob, that's Mike and I'm Bunny. Don't ask. Now let's kill!" and then later pretend to care about what Bob is up to. You're getting to know the world, you're getting to know the characters. It works well, so I don't know what to say.

man i really hope this game picks up

bought it on a whim and it downloaded last night

started this morning and played through the intro video and about 30 mins in after title sequence before work...

didnt find the opening all that exciting or as amazing as some have made it out to be (brad on giant bomb said its one of the best openings he's ever seen in a game)

i guess its hard to find it that intense when everything is so scripted and linear. When you are forced to walk forward horribly slow and theres nothing to interact with except this one door with a triangle icon its like an interactive cutscene... id honestly just rather watch a cutscene instead of holding my thumb up all the way while she painfully walks slowly towards the next scripted event. Then forget about a real sense of danger. Oh shit that infected guy is gonna get me! *boom* "oh wow my friend that had fallen back just showed up miraculously and shot him*... 2 minutes later "oh man this military guy is going to kill us both!" *boom* "oh shit its my friend again, he showed up at just the right time again!" phew....
and even now 20 years later, its still moving at a snails pace. I feel like naughty dog keeps wanting to slow me down so i look around and take in the environment? like "hey we spent all this time making the foliage and buildings we want you to see it!"

but in reality the game is not visually interesting at all. A good developer shouldnt have to slow you down to take stuff in... it should happen naturally.

A good example is Crysis 1. you can move forward as fast or slow as you want, but i found myself stopping ALL the time to stand there on the edge of some cliff and just stare at a vista in the background. In Bioshock i used to stop and admire the water effects because I thought they looked awesome, not because Irrational shoved them in my face

theres no reason i should have to walk this slow with Tess when setting out from the city the first time. Theres no sense of impending danger or anything, no story justification. ive even unlocked the run option via tutorial prior to this... why is everything FUCKING WALKING

i assume this changes once i really get started in the game and everything lets loose... atleast i sure hope so

also, this game already has cases of the annoying as fuck "push forward to cinematically squeeze through a tight space" ala Uncharted and Tomb Raider and i hate that shit too

sorry for the rant, not trying to be all down on the game with only like 30-40 mins played... but usually a game has that first hour to really grab me and make me feel like im in for something special and i know im gonna wanna stick it out, and its not doing a good job at that
I really liked the intro, but the first few hours after that are painfully slow. It clicked for me around 14 hours into the game, but I play very slow as well and check every corner. So I think you should play at least 2-3 more hours until you fight the first clicker before making a first judgement. The game speeds up dramatically after that part and I never encountered another slow walk-cutscene-slow walk-cutscene part like in the first hour, which was really bad I admit.

Finished it last night. Pretty great game, although definitely flawed. If it had more infected encounters and less human enemies, it would be much better IMO. Just watched the grounded documentary and saw they were originally considering only having human enemies. Really glad they didn't go that route with it.
Maybe I'll play it again someday, but it comes nowhere close to dethroning Infinite as my GOTY.

You're still effectively in the tutorial. Sorry you didn't think much to the intro. For something that is carefully teaching players of all experience levels how to move the left stick, and hit triangle and square separately, it's pretty incredible.

I think I'd probably find it infuriating to watch you play a game if you want to run while Tess is walking. I bet you're the kind of player who jumped up and down during those Half-Life 2 exposition sequences aren't you?

You're still effectively in the tutorial. Sorry you didn't think much to the intro. For something that is carefully teaching players of all experience levels how to move the left stick, and hit triangle and square separately, it's pretty incredible.

I think I'd probably find it infuriating to watch you play a game if you want to run while Tess is walking. I bet you're the kind of player who jumped up and down during those Half-Life 2 exposition sequences aren't you?
Honestly they could have just allowed running all the time, because the forced walk didn't prevent a million people I watched playing this game skipping past all the dialogue sections, completely ignoring Tess and Ellie and just walking around aimlessly. But then they wondered why the subtitles are going nuts, because there are 10 dialogues or so running at the same time.

Many people just play weird and have zero patience.

Honestly they could have just allowed running all the time, because the forced walk didn't prevent a million people I watched playing this game skipping past all the dialogue sections, completely ignoring Tess and Ellie and just walking around aimlessly. But then they wondered why the subtitles are going nuts, because there are 10 dialogues or so running at the same time.

Many people just play weird and have zero patience.
Christ. This upsets me. I can't imagine how it must be for one of the ND team to watch someone playing it like that.

Vodh

No real sense of danger in the intro? I was curious myself, so I just roamed around a little bit on my second playthrough and died at 4 different points of the intro. So yeah.

Christ. This upsets me. I can't imagine how it must be for one of the ND team to watch someone playing it like that.
Here is one small quote from a developer I saved up how play tests usually feel. I'm not sure where it comes from, I think it was Heavy Rain:

User Tests are the most sophisticated form of torture. The players are alone before their screens. They're filmed. Everything is recorded, their voices, their faces, their games, in order to figure out what they're feeling. It's really unbearable to watch them stumbling over simple things, looking for the way through when it's obvious, not doing what they're supposed to do. Unbearable but informative.

You see them not understanding anything, doing the first thing that comes into their heads, getting stuck for twenty minutes on actions that should take one. We see them not reading the instruction, not remembering what they did in the last scene, doing everything except what they're supposed to do.

So yeah, it must be hard to watch some people playing your game.

Akira_83

Banned

i wasnt jumping around no

but i also wasnt standing perfectly still staring at the people talking to me either

when they were rambling on i was over trying to teleport books between those two devices or see what objects could be picked up and interacted with

if your going to give me the freedom to fucking move, then let me move how i want

otherwise i just want to sit back and watch a cutscene like is a movie, im fine with that too

this weird in between bullshit is fucking annoying and stupid

Akira_83

Banned
No offense, but you seem to have made up your mind already.

no i havent

im not going to stop playing i just dropped 60 bucks to buy it last night

just hoping that yes, people are going to say "dont worry it picks up soon and feels more dynamic"

i felt this way in the beginning of Heavy Rain as well
with all that boring shit like taking a piss and showering in the morning then doing your kids birthday party

but after that the game got way better

Gorillaz

Akira I don't kno what to tell you it might not be for you if you can't have patience for those slower moments. Alot of the game is taking it in and immerson while searching for items and notes of others left behind. You dun fucked up getting it digitally.
I really liked the intro, but the first few hours after that are painfully slow. It clicked for me around 14 hours into the game, but I play very slow as well and check every corner. So I think you should play at least 2-3 more hours until you fight the first clicker before making a first judgement. The game speeds up dramatically after that part and I never encountered another slow walk-cutscene-slow walk-cutscene part like in the first hour, which was really bad I admit.
It didn't click for you until 14 hours damn son I don'tknow what your inspiration to finish it was

It didn't click for me till the end of
Bill's and start of pittsburgh

Top Bottom