• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Melchiah

Hmmmm.

I am thinking Shotgun and Bow (can't decide which one is better improved first before the other) and Hunting Rifle for some sniper action.

Hmmm, but in all out combat situation Bow/Hunting Rifle maybe will become less useful than I want... Hmm, decision decision.

I didn't put any points on the bow, as it didn't feel like a weapon I'd use when in trouble. In fact, I didn't use it at all when I could use the other weapons.

I'd definitely upgrade shotgun first. You'll need it in closed spaces, where the bow and rifle are pretty much useless.
EDIT: Upgrading revolver/pistol is a good choice as well, as you get plenty of ammo for them on normal difficulty.

senahorse

Can someone who has finished the game tell me about how far through I am.

I am up to
The bit where we jumped off the bridge and washed up on shore

senahorse

Wow, thanks, so I have quite a bit to go, awesome. My save says 52% but I wasn't sure if that just reflects progression or 'other' things.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Playing this game can be tiring. The atmosphere is so thick sometimes, it can give you an exhausting feeling, especially after finishing a particularly intense encounter.

I am playing this and Ni No Kuni hand in hand. Such a very stark difference in atmosphere between these two, hahaha.

I didn't put any points on the bow, as it didn't feel like a weapon I'd use when in trouble. In fact, I didn't use it at all when I could use the other weapons.

I'd definitely upgrade shotgun first. You'll need it in closed spaces, where the bow and rifle are pretty much useless.
EDIT: Upgrading revolver/pistol is a good choice as well, as you get plenty of ammo for them on normal difficulty.

Oh man, now I am even more confused as to what weapon I should prioritize in upgrading first, hahaha.

khaaan

What?

Sorry, but I actually find this rather hard to believe.

I strive to be stealthy as much as possible during all encounters and Ellie/NPCs running around/bumping enemies or passing right next in front of their faces and yet they ignore her/them is an occasion often happening--like, real often. It just looked bloody silly.

Really? That often? It happened during my play through but I think I can only remember two or three times.

Maybe someone else saw me at the same time but I do remember a time when they physically bumped into an enemy and the enemy reacted/alerted the rest of the people in the area.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Really? That often? It happened during my play through but I think I can only remember two or three times.

Maybe someone else saw me at the same time but I do remember a time when they physically bumped into an enemy and the enemy reacted/alerted the rest of the people in the area.

Hmm, maybe it's because I am just stealthing too often though.

And yeah, partner AIs bumping enemies will still get ignored by the enemies. I actually laughed pretty loudly at one point when it happened, on the
Capitol Building.
at the beginning of the game.

"We have two people running around! FIND THEM!"

And yet Ellie bumping into them and they don't even react, hahahaha.

Elrina

Neo Member
It's so nice to stealth kill like 8 enemies in a row with the bow and managing to recover every single arrow (even if it took like four tries to not break the first one >_>).

I wish there was a bow upgrade that decreased arrow breakage. ._.

aparisi2274

Well I just made it to
Winter

Holy moly!!!!

That cut scene with Joel after he gets impaled on the metal rod... WOW!!!!

Can't wait to see what happens next!!!

Just made it to Fall, according to the in-game stats I'm 61% done. How likely is it that I can beat it in one last sitting? I have another... 3 or 4 hours to play it, I'll only continue if I can beat it all today.

Vire

Just made it to Fall, according to the in-game stats I'm 61% done. How likely is it that I can beat it in one last sitting? I have another... 3 or 4 hours to play it, I'll only continue if I can beat it all today.
No way that you could beat it in 3 or 4 hours without just completely rushing through it. Even then...

You'd make it to Winter in that time, but you'd still have two more seasons heh.

No way that you could beat it in 3 or 4 hours without just completely rushing through it. Even then...

You'd make it to Winter in that time, but you'd still have two more seasons heh.

I thought Winter was the end? :p I thought Fall and Winter were last. Huh, going ahead and playing till I get to Winter then, and will hopefully finish this fantastic game on Tuesday when I have my day off.

Vire

Met Ellie

Wow what have you played less than an hour?... Give it time. You have an entire game left.
I thought Winter was the end? :p I thought Fall and Summer were last. Huh, going ahead and playing till I get to Winter then, and will hopefully finish this fantastic game on Tuesday when I have my day off.

Nope.

Spring is the end. Takes place over a full year.

I will say, where Fall ends... you won't want to stop at that point. Just warning ya. ;)

Wow what have you played less than an hour?... Give it time. You have an entire game left.

Nope.

Spring is the end. Takes place over a full year.

I will say, where Fall ends... you won't want to stop at that point. Just warning ya. ;)

I hope so! It's taking me so long to beat this game because I'm trying my hardest to make every play session nothing but me and the game, and just getting immersed into the experience. Unlike other games were I play like one hour every day, I only let myself play this game when I know I can put 3+ hours into it and even then it's hard to put down. Such a great game, only done 3 play sessions so far since launch, have 9 hours in.

i hated the bow until winter, then realized how useful it actually is and dropped some upgrades on it. it doesn't need much though, the ability to stealth drop an enemy in 1 hit is worth while in itself.
especially in the fall/winter segments, toss a bottle to lure someone out and take them out silently with 1 arrow

flame thrower is beast as well, especially for
bloaters, you can drop them in 1 shot. its next to useless against the guys with the assault rifles at the hospital though

Met Ellie
You are 8% in or something. Took another 7 hours or so from that spot till it started clicking for me. But I'm playing very slow :p

It didn't really happen to me beyond once or twice in the intro with Tess.

So no, I didn't find it to be a big deal at all. I rather have that also, than her blowing your cover unfairly.
Happens very often for me as well unfortunately. Alternative would have been terrible, but I think they could have made Ellie stay at least a little bit behind Joel till it's saver to move or something (when in stealth mode). When I switch covers fast she is just running around aimlessly sometimes.

I thought I was taking my time with my 17 hour play through.

GAF never lets me down.
I'm at 24 hours and just entered Fall lol

i hated the bow until winter, then realized how useful it actually is and dropped some upgrades on it. it doesn't need much though, the ability to stealth drop an enemy in 1 hit is worth while in itself.
especially in the fall/winter segments, toss a bottle to lure someone out and take them out silently with 1 arrow

flame thrower is beast as well, especially for
bloaters, you can drop them in 1 shot. its next to useless against the guys with the assault rifles at the hospital though
I actually realized how awesome the bow is, because using it is pretty much the only way you can clear that infected area in
the sewers with Sam after you got separated from the rest
without alerting anyone.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
UGH

I have 36 out of 37 conversations done. I cannot think of one that I missed either. Why are there so MANY of these fucking things?! And they don't track it on the stats either! Ugh.. ugh... Just... fucking..... UGH!!!

I'm so close to that Platinum I can taste it, but this single convo may make me give up altogether.

NaughtyDog are some sadistic motherfuckers. :|

Grinchy

Banned
UGH

I have 36 out of 37 conversations done. I cannot think of one that I missed either. Why are there so MANY of these fucking things?! And they don't track it on the stats either! Ugh.. ugh... Just... fucking..... UGH!!!

I'm so close to that Platinum I can taste it, but this single convo may make me give up altogether.

NaughtyDog are some sadistic motherfuckers. :|

You know what Joel would do in this situation. Go down to ND's offices and convince them to fix this problem. Don't forget your knife.

RoKKeR

Wow. Just got to the E3 2012 demo combat section and decided to call it a night. Wow, I am absolutely floored. The presentation of this game is absolutely phenomenal, the relationship between Joel and Ellie is incredible, the supporting cast is great, and the environments are breathtaking while the themes and moods in the game are incredibly heavy. And on top of all of that, the gameplay is fucking solid. Tense, strategic, punishing, I am absolutely blown away by the sophistication of the combat.

I don't know how far in I am but I am already calling this thing the game of the generation, damn.

The car scene was so touching, as was Ellie acting out checking into the Hotel Grand.
Absolutely perfect writing, but I suppose you could say that about the entire game.

God damn, now I don't want to work tomorrow, TLoU will be on my mind!

Gorillaz

Wow. Just got to the E3 2012 demo combat section and decided to call it a night. Wow, I am absolutely floored. The presentation of this game is absolutely phenomenal, the relationship between Joel and Ellie is incredible, the supporting cast is great, and the environments are breathtaking while the themes and moods in the game are incredibly heavy. And on top of all of that, the gameplay is fucking solid. Tense, strategic, punishing, I am absolutely blown away by the sophistication of the combat.

I don't know how far in I am but I am already calling this thing the game of the generation, damn.

The car scene was so touching, as was Ellie acting out checking into the Hotel Grand.
Absolutely perfect writing, but I suppose you could say that about the entire game.

God damn, now I don't want to work tomorrow, TLoU will be on my mind!
best part of the writting and story is Neil Druckmann apparently did it all. It wasn't like a team of writers with him leading the charge. He did the storyboard and directing

EDIT: at least thats how it sounded from when Nate Well was talking on that one podcast someone made a thread about

Hmmmm.

I am thinking Shotgun and Bow (can't decide which one is better improved first before the other) and Hunting Rifle for some sniper action.

Hmmm, but in all out combat situation Bow/Hunting Rifle maybe will become less useful than I want... Hmm, decision decision.

Bow is best for stealth kills. It doesn't alert the baddies unless you miss, but even then they don't know where you are. Upgrade the pull distance.

The revolver is a great weapon because is causes more damage when shorting from the chest up.

I always upgraded the clip capacity then the strength of the weapons. Also the scope.

Beat it.

Pros:
-graphics
-dialogue
-voice acting
-atmosphere
-music

Middle of the road:
-gameplay

Cons:
-story
-resolution

Yeah I guess I didn't care for it. Can't win them all I suppose.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Bow is best for stealth kills. It doesn't alert the baddies unless you miss, but even then they don't know where you are. Upgrade the pull distance.

The revolver is a great weapon because is causes more damage when shorting from the chest up.

I always upgraded the clip capacity then the strength of the weapons. Also the scope.

So, if you are only allowed to bring 4 weapons throughout the game, which ones will you pick?

A question to also anyone here. I am interested to hear your answers.

dalin80

Banned
I sessioned last night and I think the I'm just shy of the ending
tunnel on the way to the hospital after the giraffe
had to give it a break as I was starting to screw up a lot. One hell of a journey.

Also
Nolan North?
I had no idea especially in THAT role. Well played.

Okay, I'm so hooked. Just beat Winter, I just started Spring
On the highway, can see the hospital, near Salt Lake

Game percentage says I'm 89% complete, I really want to go to sleep before 2, so I have roughly 2 more hours before I have to sleep for work.

Can I beat this tonight?

Radec

I finished my first playthrough the other night. I played on normal and my total time played was 46:28:40. Excellent game! And I can definitely see myself playing through it a few more times before I put it away for a while. I started up a Survivor playthrough last night and I can tell it's going to be much more of a challenge.

Obviously, I took my time and searched every nook and cranny, but I still managed to miss some collectibles.
Here are my collectible stats from my first playthrough. Spoilered just to be safe.
83 out of 85 Artifacts
21 out of 30 Firefly Pendants
10 out of 12 Training Manuals
14 out of 14 Comic Books

and
12 out of 13 Shiv Doors
32 out of 37 Conversations

I know that I missed the "Dawn of the Wolf" conversation. Not sure where that happens, though. I couldn't get any converstaion button prompts to show when I got to the billboard of it in Pittsburgh.

High fives to all the Naughty Dogs that worked on the game. I loved the Uncharted trilogy but this might be their finest game yet.

Now I can finally give the spoiler thread a look.

my god..

I wish I have your enthusiasm on games.

I love this game but I keep wishing for the game to end even at 6hours of gametime.

Maybe I'll try that this week on my Survivor playthrough.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Okay, I'm so hooked. Just beat Winter, I just started Spring
On the highway, can see the hospital, near Salt Lake

Game percentage says I'm 89% complete, I really want to go to sleep before 2, so I have roughly 2 more hours before I have to sleep for work.

Can I beat this tonight?
yes

Codeblew

Wow, thanks, so I have quite a bit to go, awesome. My save says 52% but I wasn't sure if that just reflects progression or 'other' things.

The last 50% took longer for me on hard difficulty. Some of the action scenes get a bit tougher.

So, if you are only allowed to bring 4 weapons throughout the game, which ones will you pick?

A question to also anyone here. I am interested to hear your answers.
Shot gun
Bow and arrow
Rifle
Tie between the hand gun with the scope and the revolver.

Those were my most used weapons except maybe the bow. The bow is useless during combat because you pretty much only get one hit kills when sneaking. I used the bow the most during Spring though.

The kill it with fire gun was powerful but I rarely used it unless I had close encounters and was out of shotgun ammo. It is great against bloaters but I never wanted to get that close to them. Molotovs, bombs and the rifle was my diagnoses for them.

I stayed up and watched the 90 minute doc on YouTube. It was really good.

I often have the feeling that enemies come out from nowhere and my whole scouting the area and being extra carefull is useless when somewhere a guy pops out "There he is" calls and the first shot accross the map hits me.

I tried what happens if I use listening mode - I find the same 4 guys I scouted earlier and when I am ready to kill them in the middle their backup arrives. Really annoys me because now I skip scouting and just take a quick look before starting to shoot. I don't mind difficult games but somehow I have a feeling that the AI "cheats".

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Shot gun
Bow and arrow
Rifle
Tie between the hand gun with the scope and the revolver.
-Snip- .

Hmmmm, I think I am gonna upgrade the shotgun first.

I often have the feeling that enemies come out from nowhere and my whole scouting the area and being extra carefull is useless when somewhere a guy pops out "There he is" calls and the first shot accross the map hits me.

I tried what happens if I use listening mode - I find the same 4 guys I scouted earlier and when I am ready to kill them in the middle their backup arrives. Really annoys me because now I skip scouting and just take a quick look before starting to shoot. I don't mind difficult games but somehow I have a feeling that the AI "cheats".

This happened in front of
the school with all the school buses and stuff.
, when Joel and Ellie
and Bill looked for a battery to fix a car.

I hated it when the game forced combat situations by cheating like that. I've been careful taking down many of the infected one by one systematically and stealthily but then when I passed an invisible spawning point all of the sudden I am being rushed by suddenly-spawned-into-existence enemies that weren't there before. It's bloody cheap.

Jobbs

Banned
Hmmmm.

I played the game on hard and I focussed my efforts on rifle upgrades based on some predictions I made by looking at what they were.

I did not regret this decision. the armor piercing stuff takes down armored enemies fast, and this really comes in handy. I also took the armor piercing upgrades on scoped pistol

Beat the game, so good, fantastic game, by far my favorite game of the year.

I hope the Single Player DLC that is released is about
What happens to Ellie and Joel after they return to Tommy's Town, I want to know if they live the rest of their lives in peace and happiness, or as much peace and happiness as you can have living in that world.

Also, my stats for the game were:

jbu2cfX70RX8BH.bmp

Wonder how many collectibles I missed.

Jobbs

Banned
I hope the Single Player DLC that is released is about
What happens to Ellie and Joel after they return to Tommy's Town, I want to know if they live the rest of their lives in peace and happiness, or as much peace and happiness as you can have living in that world.

I wouldn't count on it. If that's ever covered it'll be in a sequel. It's impossible to guess, but I think the best guess floating around is that the DLC will be about Ish, which of everything alluded to or connected to the game, is the most compelling and rich. It's wrought with intrigue, emotion and tragedy and features a daring escape, all of which is outlined in various notes you find in the sewer/suburbs section of the game. There's also a child's drawing of Ish on a piece of paper, and you can see he appears to be in combat apparel. So much care going into Ish's story, without Ish ever being encountered, is really cool, and to me definitely says it's amazingly perfect for DLC.

I wouldn't count on it. If that's ever covered it'll be in a sequel. It's impossible to guess, but I think the best guess floating around is that the DLC will be about Ish, which of everything alluded to or connected to the game, is the most compelling and rich, wrought with intrigue, emotion and tragedy and features a daring escape.

I only caught 2 notes from Ish, seemed like the sewer town praised and symbolized him as their hope and savior? Seems like he tried to create a heaven for children, one to keep the safe and teach them. Then the town was breached after someone left a door open, all the kids died, and Ish escaped with one women. I don't know if anything happened after that, or if anything happens before that... didn't catch any other collectables regarding Ish.

Kydd BlaZe

I only caught 2 notes from Ish, seemed like the sewer town praised and symbolized him as their hope and savior? Seems like he tried to create a heaven for children, one to keep the safe and teach them. Then the town was breached after someone left a door open, all the kids died, and Ish escaped with one women. I don't know if anything happened after that, or if anything happens before that... didn't catch any other collectables regarding Ish.

Ish escapes with Susan and a couple of the kids. All of Susan's children were killed though.

Top Bottom