• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

26gb......hmmmm.

I kinda want to download it.

But, and I know this sounds stupid as fuck, but if I download, it won't show up on NPD.

HAHAHA.

Also, if I download it, does Sony/ND make more money?

Lol, I know what you mean. Sony gets more for the digital version because of not having to give anything to their retail partner.

My top 5 for this gen:

Bioshock
Uncharted 2
Borderlands
Deus Ex: HR
Skyrim

6 and 7 would be RDR and Batman:AA.

Also, an honorable mention to Call of Duty 4 (and all the other CODs that followed) since I spent hundreds of hours playing Multi.

Valentus

i dont know but... isnt more credible that the candidates of GoTG would be only the Games of The Year of the Generation?

That Said, my candidates:

2006: Gears of War
2007: Portal, Bioshock, Super Mario Galaxy
2008: GTA4, LBP
2009: Uncharted 2, Batman: Arkham Assylum
2010: Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect 2
2011: Skyrim, Portal 2
2012: The Walking Dead, Journey
2013: The Last of US?

I havent actually posted my top 5 games this gen so I may as wel:

Hotline Miami (of course)
Deus Ex HR
Bioshock Infinite
Afro Samurai
Crusader Kings 2

Presco

Any good playthroughs on YouTube (half decent player with no commentary) you guys could recommend? Have been done with consoles for a while but am interested in seeing how this game plays out. Uncharted 2 was really the only PS3 exclusive aside from Warhawk that I thoroughly enjoyed this gen and TLOU has interested me since it was announced.

Juice

I'm playing a speed run of Uncharted 2 to get hyped.

Man if you play very easy with one shot kills and fast mode all enabled its possible to BLOW through this game. Started a little over an hour ago and I'm already at chapter 8.

Kind of off topic, but once the game is out, what will be the next big discussion thread? I'm loving my time here cause pretty much all the same people were posting in the TLOU review thread and the OT.

Any particular thread on NeoGaf? Splinter Cell? GTA V? Something more general?

And is there going to be a dedicated E3 thread tomorrow or is there going to be a dozen new threads for every conference and reveal?

Quick

Banned
Kind of off topic, but once the game is out, what will be the next big discussion thread? I'm loving my time here cause pretty much all the same people were posting in the TLOU review thread and the OT.

And is there going to be a dedicated E3 thread tomorrow or is there going to be a dozen new threads for every conference and reveal?

Dedicated threads, so just keep an eye out.

And a lot of things here are "big discussions". Just roll with what you like.

The Lamp

I don't know what to tell you about what the "next big discussion thread" is going to be. Just follow the games you're interested in and ignore the ones you aren't.

There will be several new threads for news and conferences starting tomorrow. Also a dedicated E3 thread. Lol.

NeoGAF will be down so don't worry about that

We'll be in this thread to talk about how(hopefully) amazing this game is and then talk about it's inevitable backlash, so it'll run it's course.

antitrop

The longer you are on NeoGAF, the more common it is to run into the same crowds of people that share interests in the same threads.

I'm meeting a lot of new people I haven't run across very often on GAF since I tend to be more interested in PC gaming and PC related threads, so coming into a PS3 exclusive game thread is exposing me to a somewhat different GAF crowd than I'm personally used to.

Expect GAF to be down fairly consistently tomorrow, server failures due to traffic and whatnot. After the conferences themselves settle down and the servers come back up there will be tons of individual threads related to each specific important news item.

'New news, new thread' is something of a NeoGAF motto. Especially recently, as the mods have been trying to specifically cut down on "mega threads" and insular communities that stifle proper discourse.

Pranay

o boy list wars! Do PC games count?

Games are games i guess

The longer you are on NeoGAF, the more common it is to run into the same crowds of people that share interests in the same threads.

I'm meeting a lot of new people I haven't run across very often on GAF since I tend to be more interested in PC gaming and PC related threads, so coming into a PS3 exclusive game thread is exposing me to a somewhat different GAF crowd than I'm personally used to.

Expect GAF to be down fairly consistently tomorrow, server failures due to traffic and whatnot. After the conferences themselves settle down and the servers come back up there will be tons of individual threads related to each specific important news item.

'New news, new thread' is something of a NeoGAF motto. Especially recently, as the mods have been trying to specifically cut down on "mega threads" and insular communities that stifle proper discourse.

most ps3 gaf i know havnt posted here lol thats the surprising part

busy with e3 and avoiding spoilers

Loakum

Banned
Hmmm...my TOP 5 games this gen:

1) - The Last of Us (I haven't played this yet, but from what I've seen in trailers...this may be my num #1)

2) - Uncharted 2

3) - Metal Gear Solid 4

4) - Batman Arkhum City

5) - Demon's Souls

Top 5 of this gen:

1. Witcher 2
2. Dark Souls
3. Red Dead Redemption
4. Mass Effect
5. Portal 2

Honorable mention: StarCraft 2, it would be my top 5 but I've watched far FAR more than I've played.

The top 3 games on that list really rise above anything I've played this generation.

Ah man, Demon's Souls should be up there too... Hmmmmm...

Got it
Big week for NeoGaf then...E3 (and the dozens and dozens of new threads that will come), TLOU officially releases, Man of Steel. Guess I'll be meeting a lot of new people.

iNvid02

i think i remember your initial screenshots in the pc threads, back then it was very easy to spot new posters. recently the screenshot threads have exploded in popularity, but you're still bound to come across the regulars

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Dark Souls
Demon's Souls
Motherfucking MOUNT AND BLADE: WARBAND! SAY SOMETHING I DARE YOU!
Shogun 2: Total War
Mahvel, baby

I would put in Orange Box but it kinda isn't fair.

when is the first major event of E3? GMT preferably, I need to plan this week well to make sure I dont miss anything.

From the E3 Schedule thread
e3times2013_zpse2257ac4.png~original

iNvid02

the ot will complete a day

1650 post not bad

are you baked right now?

i have a hard time deciphering some of your posts lol

1. ot is 1 day old, it reached 1650 posts not bad
2. ot is 1 day old. hey gurkog thats a nice top 5 list you have there

Okay last off topic post, but I had previously thought that the Undead Labs forum was the best on the internet. No trolls, a respectful community, down to earth honest devs, etc.

But damn, NeoGaf is becoming my favorite internet hang out. Great people, good discussions, threads for everything movie and game related, mods that crack down fast and hard...so happy I finally joined and only 35 more posts till I'm a Member!

So what's a VCard? And how do I check out different groups and join?

Pranay

are you baked right now?

i have a hard time deciphering some of your posts lol

1. ot is 1 day old, it reached 1650 posts not bad
2. ot is 1 day old. hey gurkog thats a nice top 5 list you have there

4802831.jpg

Okay last off topic post, but I had previously thought that the Undead Labs forum was the best on the internet. No trolls, a respectful community, down to earth honest devs, etc.

But damn, NeoGaf is becoming my favorite internet hang out. Great people, good discussions, threads for everything movie and game related, mods that crack down fast and hard...so happy I finally joined and only 35 more posts till I'm a Member!

So what's a VCard? And how do I check out different groups and join?

Wait till you get banned by a mod when you did nothing wrong ?
Will you fine with it ?
What if that mod was your favourite mod ?

Wait till you see the dark side of fanboys who destry and bash all the stuffs will you like !
Will you be fine with it ?

Wait till you see meltdowns and seeing fanboys melt ?
Will you be sad for them ?

Will you support your friend who is arguing against the thing you like , or will you support the person who you hate buy arguring for the thing you like !
Will you be confused

Will you be fine when the forum is down ? when you want to know THAT piece of info at that time
Will you have the paitence for that

If you are fine with this, then you are the last of us

:lol

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The fastest moving thread I can remember on gaming side for an actual game was the Dark Souls one. That was insane.

iNvid02

The fastest moving thread I can remember on gaming side for an actual game was the Dark Souls one. That was insane.

sadly i missed that one, it would have been so cool to participate and discover along with gaf at launch. wont make the same mistake for ds2.

nib95

Banned
I'm actually genuinely curious to read Amir0x's opinions about this game. Could it finally be a big game he actually enjoys?

kasane

5 More days. Time to sleep again.
I'm like a kid waiting for this game. Counting how many times I've slept and shit

Switters

I watched the intro, and then 48 minutes of game play. I have to say that as a bearded gamer of yore, that what I witnessed was the most cynical display; a disregard for human life wrapped in a veneer of... Fun? It seemed so opposed to the intro, so out of place - Killing your fellow man in the most brutal fashion possible. BUT THERE'S NO STAKES to make it interesting. You just hunch down and apply a band-aid. It's fucking stupid.

I mean, I get the setting and all. I get that they're trying to create gravity and tension. I get that Drake kills thousands of people in a game with a campy Indiana Jones vibe. Yet in the Last of Us it's the same ol shit ruining what would otherwise have been a wonderful interactive story.

I was really hoping for some realism and emotional impact, spread through 12 or so hours with the occasional life threatening conflict. The story and the acting and the writing seem top notch, fuck that intro was great. BUT, you
wake up and then murder at least 20 humans in the first half hour

I don't know. Maybe there's just too much "game" there. That sounds ridiculous, but violence for violence's sake has never appealed to me. It's like they said:

"Hey we got this great idea for a post apocalyptic game with endearing characters!".

"Great, what's gonna keep those fucking kids in the seat?"

"The story?"

"Well, the story is excellent, really up there, but what are the kids going to do?"

"Uh, interact with a crumbling environment in interesting and creative ways, allude enemies
and reach their goals by going through hell and being selfless for the greater good?"

"That's all play book bullshit. What's the kid going to do?"

"I don't know what you mean, by do."

"Well, where's the conflict? You know, the quick time what's its?"

"We've scaled that back a little bit because it's cheap and adds very little to the game play
unless you're trapped in a microwave tunnel."

"Here's what you do, you got a story, and it's good, you just need a couple of things to
move it along."

"Such as?"

"Give the main character a beef and a brick wrapped in broken glass and let him beat the fuck
all out of anyone he puts eyes on."

"Won't that kind of indifference to wanton violence take the player out of the story we've so
finely crafted?"

"LOLOLOLOL! You're cute. Brick. Broken glass. Murder. Lots of murder. It doesn't have
to make sense or even be enjoyable. It's something for the kids to do."

/end beardy sensitive rant

kasane

I watched the intro, and then 48 minutes of game play. I have to say that as a bearded gamer of yore, that what I witnessed was the most cynical display; a disregard for human life wrapped in a veneer of... Fun? It seemed so opposed to the intro, so out of place - Killing your fellow man in the most brutal fashion possible. BUT THERE'S NO STAKES to make it interesting. You just hunch down and apply a band-aid. It's fucking stupid.

I mean, I get the setting and all. I get that they're trying to create gravity and tension. I get that Drake kills thousands of people in a game with a campy Indiana Jones vibe. Yet in the Last of Us it's the same ol shit ruining what would otherwise have been a wonderful interactive story.

I was really hoping for some realism and emotional impact, spread through 12 or so hours with the occasional life threatening conflict. The story and the acting and the writing seem top notch, fuck that intro was great. BUT, you
wake up and then murder at least 20 humans in the first half hour

I don't know. Maybe there's just too much "game" there. That sounds ridiculous, but violence for violence's sake has never appealed to me. It's like they said:

"Hey we got this great idea for a post apocalyptic game with endearing characters!".

"Great, what's gonna keep those fucking kids in the seat?"

"The story?"

"Well, the story is excellent, really up there, but what are the kids going to do?"

"Uh, interact with a crumbling environment in interesting and creative ways, allude enemies
and reach their goals by going through hell and being selfless for the greater good?"

"That's all play book bullshit. What's the kid going to do?"

"I don't know what you mean, by do."

"Well, where's the conflict? You know, the quick time what's its?"

"We've scaled that back a little bit because it's cheap and adds very little to the game play
unless you're trapped in a microwave tunnel."

"Here's what you do, you got a story, and it's good, you just need a couple of things to
move it along."

"Such as?"

"Give the main character a beef and a brick wrapped in broken glass and let him beat the fuck
all out of anyone he puts eyes on."

"Won't that kind of indifference to wanton violence take the player out of the story we've so
finely crafted?"

"LOLOLOLOL! You're cute. Brick. Broken glass. Murder. Lots of murder. It doesn't have
to make sense or even be enjoyable. It's something for the kids to do."

/end beardy sensitive rant

Why would you post this here? What the fuck

Edit: I didn't read this in its entirety cause it looks like a massive fucking spoiler

Top Bottom