• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

iNvid02

Nice write-up.

I don't think I'm cabale of being this articulate right now.

KuGsj.gif

Pachimari

If I play through the game on normal I can jump right into survivor on my second run or do I need to beat it on hard first.

Complete it on Normal and you can go straight to Survival afterward.

That's probably the case with Easy as well but I haven't tried that difficulty myself.

kasane

OHHHHH SHIT. I think I saw something at /v/ but i scrolled down so fast I'm not even sure. Yet im pretty sure what it is. God. I'm out interwebz

MercuryLS

Banned
Complete it on Normal and you can go straight to Survival afterward.

That's probably the case with Easy as well but I haven't tried that difficulty myself.

Would you recommend that I start on normal or hard? I don't mind a challenge, I just don't want to have so few resources to craft stuff. Going by the demo, they're really stingy with items on hard.

1.Uncharted 2
2. Super Mario Galaxy
3. Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time
4. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
5. Killzone 3

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but this list seems about right at the moment. I'm guessing the Last of Us will take either the number one or number two spot.

1.Uncharted 2
2. Super Mario Galaxy
3. Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time
4. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
5. Killzone 3

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but this list seems about right at the moment. I'm guessing the Last of Us will take either the number one or number two spot.

I miss Killzone so much its amazing, cant wait for the vita game. Killzone 4 might be the only game to make me buy a ps4

DatDude

Banned
I dont like a challenge ill stick with normal :p

I don't even think it's about being a challenge. It's more about playing the game (I believe) it was meant to played.

Limited resources, high tension abound. You are meant to be playing as a survivor and a scrounger. I just think playing on a mode where you have plenty of bullets, can see through walls, and can have plenty of objects to craft just cheapens the concept.

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Bioshock
3. Dishonored
4. Uncharted 2
5. The Witcher 2

Bioshock Infinite, Dragon's Dogma, Dark Souls and Skyrim are all honourable mentions. I haven't even touched downloadable games here as I would need to mention at least another 12.

EDIT: Also the Portal series, DA: Origins, Hitman: Blood Money. Also Journey, Braid, Limbo, Bastion, Telltale's Walking Dead, et al. State of Decay is working it's way up that list right now too.

I don't even think it's about being a challenge. It's more about playing the game (I believe) it was meant to played.

Limited resources, high tension abound. You are meant to be playing as a survivor and a scrounger. I just think playing on a mode where you have plenty of bullets, can see through walls, and can have plenty of objects to craft just cheapens the concept.

Is it at all possible to change the difficulty on the fly?

Pachimari

I always play Normal in games but The Last of Us is this one game that really relies on the concept of survival. It feels wrong being armed with ammunition for numerous weapons when the intention is to wake the fear and desperation inside of me. I would recommend Hard if only resources are scarcer.

I miss Killzone so much its amazing, cant wait for the vita game. Killzone 4 might be the only game to make me buy a ps4

Yes. I just hope it turns out good, unlike some Vita games. I was excited for Resistance Burning Skies, and we all know how that one turned out.

I'm hoping Killzone is going to be the first Vita game I buy. Haha, all my other Vita games I got from PS+.

How different is Survivor from Hard? Is it just less supplies? Or are there remixed enemies, better equipped enemies, etc.?

antitrop

OHHHHH SHIT. I think I saw something at /v/ but i scrolled down so fast I'm not even sure. Yet im pretty sure what it is. God. I'm out interwebz
I can't possibly understand why anyone weary of TLoU spoilers would visit 4chan at all.

I love /b/, /v/, and /vg/ as much as anyone, but not this week.

Pachimari

Were there any standout moments that you would like to re-experience?

An in general, do you think this is a game you would like to replay again? Or is it just to emotional draining?
Definitely a game you would play again. And there sure are standout moments. Actually moments you'll remember for a long while. To me, 3 in particular.

DatDude

Banned
How different is Survivor from Hard? Is it just less supplies? Or are there remixed enemies, better equipped enemies, etc.?

I'm not sure, and I wish someone will chime in.

I think it's less equipment, and more health for the infected creatures. But that's just my assumption.

Verendus

Banned
Were there any standout moments that you would like to re-experience?

An in general, do you think this is a game you would like to replay again? Or is it just to emotional draining?
I want to play it again. But not right away.

The characters, story, setting really have a nice hook, and that first experience is special. I can't play it again right away though, it'll be too much. It's just fresh on the mind and I need to get it off. It rarely happens, but I think people can relate when something connects with you strongly, it just tends to stick around long. Whether it's a book, or a movie or a game. I'm having that right now. It probably doesn't help that I've basically played the game straight with some breaks in between over the last 26 hours or so. I need a break and then I can come back to it with a fresh mind and when I have no emotional attachment. That second play through will be good since there are no surprises now, and I can probably appreciate things I never noticed the first time around. I can probably recognise and appreciate the game aspects of it more on the second play-through. For the first play through, the story, characters etc. gave an added benefit.

I will play it again though. Definitely. Considering I never re-play games, that's high praise for it.

Calculating a top anything of this gen for me fairly would be a major undertaking involving putting some numerical value to the dozens of games I did actually love but barely got to play more than a week because of my work schedule this gen.

Rattling shit off the top of my head, I just know Vanquish, Demon's and Dark Souls, Bayonetta, Mega Man 9, Fallout:NV, Deus Ex:HR, Mass Effect 1, Dragon's Dogma, Valkyria Chronicles, and possibly Saints Row 3 would be in there somewhere. Of course, Fire Emblem: Awakening and Etrian Odyssey 4 have been pretty special this year also, but I guess those count as 8th gen, and regrettably I still haven't finished Binary Domain, The Last Remnant, or Spec Ops.

And before anyone asks, TLR is in there because I enjoyed it more than any FF this gen, and SR3 is in there because it's the only non-arcade, non-Mega Man action game I think I've put more than 100 hours into.

My top 5 games from this generation in no specific order:

1. Uncharted 2
2. Killzone 2 (dat amazing multiplayer)
3. Lost Odyssey
4. BioShock Infinite
5. Dragon Age: Origins

I wonder if TLoU can knock one of the games out of my top 5... maybe Killzone 2.

Pranay

I'm confused.

Either my anti depressants are fucking with my head or I'm stupid.

I don't understand..

Forgot to add nowadays.
Haha I'll explain anyways,
Half life is the greatest game I ever, I had limited amount of gaming restricted to PC and fps games.
Waited 5 yrs for hl2, loved it that time, after 5 yr, its crap imo, terrible gunplay, horrible ai, stupid story, terrible pacing, very linear gameplay wise, etc etc

I want to play it again. But not right away.

The characters, story, setting really have a nice hook, and that first experience is special. I can't play it again right away though, it'll be too much. It's just fresh on the mind and I need to get it off. It rarely happens, but I think people can relate when something connects with you strongly, it just tends to stick around long. Whether it's a book, or a movie or a game. I'm having that right now. It probably doesn't help that I've basically played the game straight with some breaks in between over the last 26 hours or so. I need a break and then I can come back to it with a fresh mind and when I have no emotional attachment. That second play through will be good since there are no surprises now, and I can probably appreciate things I never noticed the first time around. I can probably recognise and appreciate the game aspects of it more on the second play-through. For the first play through, the story, characters etc. gave an added benefit.

I will play it again though. Definitely. Considering I never re-play games, that's high praise for it.
We can replay chapters right? And if I understand, supplies gathered are cumulative? So how many supplies do you have when you replay a chapter?

antitrop

Forgot to add nowadays.
Haha I'll explain anyways,
Half life is the greatest game I ever, I had limited amount of gaming restricted to PC and fps games.
Waited 5 yrs for hl2, loved it that time, after 5 yr, its crap imo, terrible gunplay, horrible ai, stupid story, terrible pacing, very linear gameplay wise, etc etc
I didn't really like Half-Life 2 all that much in 2004. Boy was that a rough opinion to have for a long, long time.

Haven't played it since, but I'm sure it hasn't aged well.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
My top 5 games of the gen:

1) Uncharted 2/3
2) Red Dead Redemption
3) Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
4) inFAMOUS 2
5) Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch and MGS 4 (can't choose between the two)

Lingitiz

Hmm tough narrowing it down to 5:

1. Uncharted 2
2. The Witcher 2
3. Super Mario Galaxy
4. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
5. Dishonored

Halo 3, Portal 2, TF2, TWD, Red Dead Redemption, Gears of War, Journey, ME 1&2, inFamous 2, Sleeping Dogs, XCOM are a few I can think of that barely miss out.

Top Bottom