• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

what do you mean by objective makers?
I think there is an option to turn off tips or objectives or something. Because I remember someone here or a reviewer saying how turning off that option made it easy to get lost and not now where to go. But maybe I was reading it wrong

Switters

Pretty much. I can understand people having issues with the dissonance in the Uncharted games, but in this, no.

The violence is perfectly understandable. It's not some happy-go-lucky journey around the world, like Uncharted. Shit's fucked up, yo.

lol. The violence in Uncharted is understandable. It's a romp and a broo haha with witty and charming characters. The fact that they incorporate the same mechanics and cannon fodder to drive the story in Last of Us is ridiculous. Let's say you were playing a game entrenched in story. A game where, whether you liked or not, challenged your moral compass, entreated you to make decisions based on a character's needs and not your own and then you PUNCH A GUY IN THE THROAT PUNCH A GUY IN THE THROAT PUNCH A GUY IN THE THROAT.

Meh. I'm out. I've made my point. Can't always get what you want you get what PUNCH A GUY IN THE THROAT PUNCH A GUY IN THE THROAT

DatDude

Banned
I think there is an option to turn off tips or objectives or something. Because I remember someone here or a reviewer saying how turning off that option made it easy to get lost and not now where to go. But maybe I was reading it wrong

Oh I see what you mean.

Yeah, I might turn it off. But I hate being lost (in I have no fucking clue what to do/where to go next) in a game. My biggest pet peeve probably.

mackaveli

spoilers on options cause I spoiler all my posts about the game. I don't ever discuss plot etc., fyi.

you can turn off hints in the option menu. The hints in the game you press L3 just ilke uncharted I believe and only appear after a couple of minutes of you being in the same area.

lol. The violence in Uncharted is understandable. It's a romp and a broo haha with witty and charming characters. The fact that they incorporate the same mechanics and cannon fodder to drive the story in Last of Us is ridiculous. Let's say you were playing a game entrenched in story. A game where, whether you liked or not, challenged your moral compass, entreated you to make decisions based on a character's needs and not your own and then you PUNCH A GUY IN THE THROAT PUNCH A GUY IN THE THROAT PUNCH A GUY IN THE THROAT.

Meh. I'm out. I've made my point. Can't always get what you want you get what PUNCH A GUY IN THE THROAT PUNCH A GUY IN THE THROAT

Sorry what?

DatDude

Banned

They are trying to fucking survive in a world engulfed with death and enemies abound.

I can pretty much firmly say if you were ever in an apocalypse you would be the first person to die.

antitrop

Oh I see what you mean.

Yeah, I might turn it off. But I hate being lost (in I have no fucking clue what to do/where to go next) in a game. My biggest pet peeve probably.
Mine, as well.

I love optional "Go Here!" buttons in games like Bioshock series, Fable, (not Perfect Dark Zero, as it wasn't optional), etc. But for this game I've committed to playing Hard, no Listen, and no objective markers.

This one is special.

This should be a new meme

And then I PUNCH A GUY IN THE THROAT

Teknoman

I dont remember seeing any objective markers in the demo, so we should be good there. A "press triangle" or whatever on doors, but thats about it.

Maybe I should play the demo again just to refresh myself / play with headphones lol.

TEH-CJ

Banned

wat

I dont remember seeing any objective markers in the demo, so we should be good there. A "press triangle" or whatever on doors, but thats about it.

Maybe I should play the demo again just to refresh myself / play with headphones lol.
I was getting tips/hints mixed up with markers. I haven't played the demo or the game, was going by something I remember reading

So the bundle that bestbuy has with the sony pulse wireless headset a good deal? The reviews seem pretty positive for the headset but can anyone who has a pair back it up?

Dresden

lol, how the hell is the violence in Uncharted more PUNCH A GUY IN THE THROAT understandable than a post-apocalyptic setting filled with mushroom zombies and looters PUNCH A GUY IN THE THROAT

Mine, as well.

I love optional "Go Here!" buttons in games like Bioshock series, Fable, (not Perfect Dark Zero, as it wasn't optional), etc. But for this game I've committed to playing Hard, no Listen, and no objective markers.

This one is special.

Is this the consensus on the so called "Best way to play" for this game?

Because everyone said to play Bioshock Infinite on hard and I felt like it made parts a complete act of attrition.

- J - D -

My main hdtv died today, one day before E3 and 5 days before TLoU. I feel it's a sign of some sort, but I just can't figure out what.

DatDude

Banned
So the bundle that bestbuy has with the sony pulse wireless headset a good deal? The reviews seem pretty positive for the headset but can anyone who has a pair back it up?

just bought a pair from walmart for 99.99

I'm not a good judge on headphones, since I never really wore them before. But when I popped in a game, and gave them a test run, I had the biggest motherfucking grin on my face.

It was literally sex to my ears. I will never play another game without these.

just bought a pair from walmart for 99.99

I'm not a good judge on headphones, since I never really wore them before. But when I popped in a game, and gave them a test run, I had the biggest motherfucking grin on my face.

It was literally sex to my ears. I will never play another game without these.

Sounds good I have never experienced any surround sound stuff to feel that comparison Only ones I ever used were skullcandys brand with the bass subwoofer but I do not think they are even in the same league

spannicus

The POWER OF HYPE COMPELS YOU!! THE POWER OF HYPE COMPELS YOU!!
052213_gallagher_pope_640.jpg

antitrop

Yep, we're on the topic of ludonarrative dissonance again.

God, I hate that term so much.
The "ludonarrative" part is pretentiously unnecessary.

You can just say "dissonance" and I'm sure everyone would be able to understand what you're talking about by context.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Being as its E3 week, that should do nicely for keeping me distracted. Then when Friday comes ill be hit like a train i am sure.

The "ludonarrative" part is pretentiously unnecessary.

You can just say "dissonance" and I'm sure everyone would be able to understand what you're talking about by context.

And it's not like with Uncharted, where Drake is a cocky wisecracker in the cutscenes and wisecracking mass murderer during gameplay.

Here, the world, the atmosphere, the themes, it makes sense if we kill everyone.

I actually went out and bought these headphones today and really dig them so far. My first pair of "gaming headphones" and they feel/sound fantastic. Super comfortable on my head/ears too which is a plus.

lol, some overexcited EB Games employee near me has covered the whole storefront with TLoU posters and A4 pieces of paper saying

"NEXT WEEK 10 out of 10 GAME OF THE GENERATION

PS3 owners do not want to miss this!"

It's a bit much, but it shows how much buzz is surrounding the game right now.

sappyday

lol, some overexcited EB Games employee near me has covered the whole storefront with TLoU posters and A4 pieces of paper saying

"NEXT WEEK 10 out of 10 GAME OF THE GENERATION

PS3 owners do not want to miss this!"

It's a bit much, but it shows how much buzz is surrounding the game right now.

lol when I went to go pre-order it on friday at gamestop the employees kept telling me "great choice dude! this game is getting 10s everywhere and they are saying it is the greatest game ever'

and I was like "oh yea?" and laughed because of how ridiculous they were but I guess some are just really hype for it.

wtf.png

What?

Crack is a dangerous drug friends.

I also don't get why people are posting gifs of an occasional hiccup of a.i.

traveler

Not Wario
Despite the awe inspiring early impressions and vids, that's exactly what it boils down to. It's just another game built to be edgy enough to waste away a day or so
beating people to death.

You ain't seen what I seen junior. The violence and the reasons behind it in the first hour are lame. You basically
Murder 20 humans for stealing some guns from you
There's little real context for it and even in the most fucked up possible world outside of the 40k universe I don't see humanity acting in this fashion even at it's most bleak.

Why does it need reason? Violence is the medium most conducive to good gameplay and this is gaming- story, context, and reason are and should always be subservient to the game. This is a completely different medium than film where the plot is more than just a veneer comprising 1% of the point of the work. (Ironically, this mentality is typically the reason I tend to be the criticizer when it comes to Naughty Dog's games and not the defender as I feel they place on undue weight on the presentation and priority of the story and how the game must fit within it)

Mikey Jr.

Sorry guys if this was answered already.

If I buy this off PSN right now, can I start preloading it? Or do I have to wait till it officially releases before I can download it?

kasane

Sorry guys if this was answered already.

If I buy this off PSN right now, can I start preloading it? Or do I have to wait till it officially releases before I can download it?

I'm not sure. All i know is asian PSN can pre-load the game. NA PSN is looking like midnight release.

HardRojo

Oh there's always that guy trying to get some attention by going against what everyone says and thinks...

DatDude

Banned
HOLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE SHIT plaything the demo with these sony pulse headphones.

WOWOWWOWOWOWO

You can hear the groaning of the buildings so crisp and clearly as if you were actually inside the building.

My god, wow.

Gbraga

HOLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE SHIT plaything the demo with these sony pulse headphones.

WOWOWWOWOWOWO

You can hear the groaning of the buildings so crisp and clearly as if you were actually inside the building.

My god, wow.

I need one of those >_<

They're so expensive around here though

Top Bottom