• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Wait till you get banned by a mod when you did nothing wrong ?
Will you fine with it ?
What if that mod was your favourite mod ?
Why would someone be banned for doing nothing wrong? Personally I don't troll, don't get into fanboy discussions, and try to approach discussions objectively and consider both sides.

Wait till you see the dark side of fanboys who destry and bash all the stuffs will you like !
Will you be fine with it ?

Wait till you see meltdowns and seeing fanboys melt ?
Will you be sad for them ?

Will you support your friend who is arguing against the thing you like , or will you support the person who you hate buy arguring for the thing you like !
Will you be confused
Like someone said about Derrick, they force you to think about games in ways you haven't before. They're the unintentional philosophers of the video game forum.

Will you be fine when the forum is down ? when you want to know THAT piece of info at that time
Will you have the paitence for that
There's always another site or another forum, but NeoGaf will always be the best

Pranay

Why would someone be banned for doing nothing wrong? Personally I don't troll, don't get into fanboy discussions, and try to approach discussions objectively and consider both sides.

Like someone said about Derrick, they force you to think about games in ways you haven't before. They're the unintentional philosophers of the video game forum.

There's always another site or another forum, but NeoGaf will always be the best

i was jjoking lol

Toxi

Banned
The only spoiler that Switters posted was that you kill people in this game.

I don't see why it would conflict with the tone of the game; from what I can tell, the Last of Us setting is a very much dog eat dog world, and you can't survive without blood on your hands. Of course, I haven't played the game and Switters has, so I'll just have to see when my copy comes in.

The only spoiler that Switters posted was that you kill people in this game.

I don't see why it would conflict with the tone of the game; from what I can tell, the Last of Us setting is a very much dog eat dog world, and you can't survive without blood on your hands.

Still not reading. People have varying opinions on what a spoiler actually is. Some people even said watching the intro wasn't a spoiler

Khronico

Console:
Arkham Asylum
Alpha Protocol
Dark Souls
Gran Turismo 5
Yakuza 3

PC:
Warband
Fallout New Vegas
Victoria 2
Hotline Miami
Dota 2

Also, avoid /v/, just got spoiled a major plot point there. Anyone actually kinda interested in how the MP is?

Switters

Seems like it would have been a bunch of spoilers

The only thing I spoiled is the the thing I put behind spoiler tags. Did you not know this game was going to be egregiously violent? The fact that my opinion is that there's little worth or context for the violence is merely an opinion.

Why are people pitching this as a versatile game? Thats one aspect of ND's games that they are sorely overrated for, they're not versatile.

From what I'm seeing the moment you step outside of the prescripted formula then the A.I. goes downhill. Also how can a reviewer say that it's possible to appraoch the game from a more action standpoint when you only get so much ammo/weapon hits? It's clear ND wants you to play this a certain way and I never understood why they were praised for that format during the Uncharted era.

Why are people pitching this as a versatile game? Thats one aspect of ND's games that they are sorely overrated for, they're not versatile.

From what I'm seeing the moment you step outside of the prescripted formula then the A.I. goes downhill. Also how can a reviewer say that it's possible to appraoch the game from a more action standpoint when you only get so much ammo/weapon hits? It's clear ND wants you to play this a certain way and I never understood why they were praised for that format during the Uncharted era.

Here we go

With all of this said, that's what's itching me the wrong way too - because he's right, that there's still a lot of shooting like Uncharted. Lots of it and that's probably what disappoints me the most.

You're disappointed b/c you actually get to play the game? Rather than walking around in some prescripted route, designed to make you think you're actually exploring?

DatDude

Banned
With all of this said, that's what's itching me the wrong way too - because he's right, that there's still a lot of shooting like Uncharted. Lots of it and that's probably what disappoints me the most.

Can these shoot hypothetically not occur on hard/survivor since of the low ammo count?

DatDude

Banned

Sounds like you don't even want this.

Honestly, it seems like you saw the reviews, the impressions, and the hype and your becoming pissed off b/c of that.

Sounds like you don't even want this.

Honestly, it seems like you saw the reviews, the impressions, and the hype and your becoming pissed off b/c of that.
No I'm really excited. Whats pissing me off about the reviews is how they're failing to mention how scripted a lot of the gameplay is. It's totally fine with me as I knew what I was in for when I saw ND's logo pop in the in the reveal. I just feel like it's blatantly incorrect to tell us this game can be played multiple ways when thats far from the truth.

Some areas are designed for stealth and some areas are designed for shootouts. In both cases you're pretty much walking a fine line based on the developers idea of how they want you to play the game.

The only thing I spoiled is the the thing I put behind spoiler tags. Did you not know this game was going to be egregiously violent? The fact that my opinion is that there's little worth or context for the violence is merely an opinion.
May I ask what type of context you were expecting?

It's a shitty bleak violent world, humanity seems pretty fucked, the new generation only knows a life of violent struggle and survival and the old generation had to shed its concepts of right and wrong to adapt and survive. By nature, it's going to be a violent world and a violent game. Kill or be killed.

DatDude

Banned
No I'm really excited. Whats pissing me off about the reviews is how they're failing to mention how scripted a lot of the gameplay is. It's totally fine with me as I knew what I was in for when I saw ND's logo pop in the in the reveal. I just feel like it's blatantly incorrect to tell us this game can be played multiple ways when thats far from the truth.

Some areas are designed for stealth and some areas are designed for shootouts. In both cases you're pretty much walking a fine line based on the developers idea of how they want you to play the game.

I don't see how that's true. Especially when we have users who say that on easy and normal give you a nice share of ammo to use... so it's not strictly stealth. You can take the action route if you want.

Switters

You're disappointed b/c you actually get to play the game? Rather than walking around in some prescripted route, designed to make you think you're actually exploring?

Despite the awe inspiring early impressions and vids, that's exactly what it boils down to. It's just another game built to be edgy enough to waste away a day or so
beating people to death.

It's a shitty bleak violent world, humanity seems pretty fucked, the new generation only knows a life of violent struggle and survival and the old generation had to shed its concepts of right and wrong to adapt and survive. By nature, it's going to be a violent world and a violent game. Kill or be killed.

You ain't seen what I seen junior. The violence and the reasons behind it in the first hour are lame. You basically
Murder 20 humans for stealing some guns from you
There's little real context for it and even in the most fucked up possible world outside of the 40k universe I don't see humanity acting in this fashion even at it's most bleak.

Maybe you and I have different opinions of "multiple ways". As long as the areas are not corridors and the AI is dynamic and reactive (I've seen enough gameplay to know that it is), I can consider being able to try different routes and be more stealthy or less as "multiple ways."

What's your definition of "multiple ways"?

DukeBobby

Pretty much. I can understand people having issues with the dissonance in the Uncharted games, but in this, no.

The violence is perfectly understandable. It's not some happy-go-lucky journey around the world, like Uncharted. Shit's fucked up, yo.

I don't see how that's true. Especially when we have users who say that on easy and normal give you a nice share of ammo to use... so it's not strictly health. You can take the action route if you want.
I was under the impression that the game was purposely stingy with ammo. I'm talking 4-8 bullets a section.

That's kind of how I want to play the game, so maybe I should go hard mode.

DatDude

Banned
I was under the impression that the game was purposely stingy with ammo. I'm talking 4-8 bullets a section.

That's kind of how I want to play the game, so maybe I should go hard mode.

No there's more than that. Especially on easy, and normal (according to user impressions). Especially if you choose to horde your ammo for a long period of time.

On hard, and on Survivor, that's when things become very stingy. It's not just ammo in this case, but objects become less frequent, so crafting items become more infrequent as well.

No there's more than that. Especially on easy, and normal (according to user impressions). Especially if you choose to horde your ammo for a long period of time.

On hard, and on Survivor, that's when things become very stingy. It's not just ammo in this case, but objects become less frequent, so crafting items become more infrequent as well.

Do you consider this good or bad?
The way I see it, less supplies means there's more stakes in making a careless move or making the choice to craft one item over another.

Granted, I haven't played the game yet

DatDude

Banned
Do you consider this good or bad?
The way I see it, less supplies means there's more stakes in making a careless move or making the choice to craft one item over another.

Granted, I haven't played the game yet

I see it as good.

Easy/Normal give the "casual gamer" a chance to experience The Last of Us without becoming overwhelmed by it's difficulty.

While Hard/Survivor give the perfect balance of survival, and scrounging for limited resources.

I know, especially for me, Hard (with listen mode off) is the only true way to go on a first play through.

From the trailers:

"We're shitty people Joel"

"No, we are survivors!"

Even though those lines are from the trailers, I'll put the spoiler marks just in case.

Maybe you and I have different opinions of "multiple ways". As long as the areas are not corridors and the AI is dynamic and reactive (I've seen enough gameplay to know that it is), I can consider being able to try different routes and be more stealthy or less as "multiple ways."

What's your definition of "multiple ways"?
This is not dynamic and reactive

1370825900061_zpse7d176da.gif
[ http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee475/TheJollyRancher/1370825900061_zpse7d176da.gif ]

1370825595467_zps06315cca.gif
[ http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee475/TheJollyRancher/1370825595467_zps06315cca.gif ]

When I hear someone say a game can be approached multiple ways, I expect to be able to gun it out during any situation. I also expect to be able to stealth my way through any situation. From what I'm seeing, if you break outside of the format then the A.I. melts away and you get terrible moments such as the two shown above.

I'm not blind, and I know ND is known for this. The gameplay is clearly very scripted.

mackaveli

I finished the game and from what I gather you can play it however you want.

Spoilers on how I played the game below.

Played on normal without listening mode. I pretty much ran and punched everyone (led to deaths) or just did a shoot out. I had usually enough ammo from collecting and exploring to fight. I used stealth initially at the start of the game but as I got deeper into the game I enjoyed meleeing everyone to death.

Screw this I'm out. People are going on rants now and posting gifs and everything and it's only a matter of time before something slips out that I didn't want to see

When I hear someone say a game can be approached multiple ways, I expect to be able to gun it out during any situation. I also expect to be able to stealth my way through an situation. From what I'm seeing, if you break outside of the format then the A.I. melts away and you get terrible moments such as the two shown above.

I'm not blind, and I know ND is known for this. The game is clearly very scripted.
Here two short videos of the E3 area, played two different ways showing the AI act dynamically, reacting to empty guns, to human shields, flanking, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZK1Bj5AziM&hd=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKlEqgfY9Z4&hd=1

Was that gif from early in the game? Cause I've watched part of the tutorial and the enemies were not very impressive. But from what I've seen in those videos and read from other people who played the game, the AI can be very smart and dynamic

DatDude

Banned

When I hear someone say a game can be approached multiple ways, I expect to be able to gun it out during any situation. I also expect to be able to stealth my way through any situation. From what I'm seeing, if you break outside of the format then the A.I. melts away and you get terrible moments such as the two shown above.

I'm not blind, and I know ND is known for this. The game is clearly very scripted.

People have acknowledged some ai hiccups from time to time. Nothing consistently frequent though.

Also, I'm sure there are many users who have already completed the game that can refute this.

spannicus

Day 1 patch to add that E3 Demo A.I? Worst thing Ive seen was if an enemy knows you are located behind cover and you throw a bottle somewhere, they forget about you and go after the noise. Its minor but nothing like what I witnessed at e3.

I see it as good.

Easy/Normal give the "casual gamer" a chance to experience The Last of Us without becoming overwhelmed by it's difficulty.

While Hard/Survivor give the perfect balance of survival, and scrounging for limited resources.

I know, especially for me, Hard (with listen mode off) is the only true way to go on a first play through.

Same, at first I was considering playing my usual way, Normal with everything on

But reading all the impressions, I going to start on Hard without listen mode or objective markers.

nib95

Banned
I'm not blind, and I know ND is known for this. The gameplay is clearly very scripted.

The AI is not scripted, ND themselves have said this. It's just the AI is not perfect and makes mistakes etc like every other game on the planet.

Many reviews and users have posted very glowing impressions of the AI, and ND themselves put a lot of focus on it. If it's random examples of broken AI you want to use to prove AI is scripted, the same can be done for any game out there.

sappyday

Anyone expecting the smartest AI is surely to end up disappointed and hating on this game. Let's not forget this is still on a PS3.

Top Bottom