• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Quick

Banned
Just run. It might take you a few tries but as soon as you open that door you are good to go. I'm on my third playthrough and still haven't killed that guy, I run every time because I'm a scared coward.

I actually ended up watching a walkthrough, and I goofed. I haven't gotten the keycard yet before starting up the generator.

I'M SO SCARED.

mrpeabody

Stopped at the hotel basement by the generator. I died about 5 times, thanks to that stupid bloater. Shit is tense.
Get the keycard ahead of time. Plan your route between the generator and the door. Plant bombs, one at the top of the ramp, two in the final hallway before the exit. Hit the generator and run. If the bloater is between you and the exit, mollie him and then hit him with the shotgun until he goes down.

DukeBobby

So GAF, do you think the Last Of Us have average gameplay? I saw someone mention that on Facebook, and I just don't really agree. I mean, sure, it doesn't do anything super innovative, but at the same time everything feels tight and polished, I wouldn't call that "average"; would you?

If this is average, I'd love to hear what games have good gameplay.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Get the keycard ahead of time. Plan your route between the generator and the door. Plant bombs, one at the top of the ramp, two in the final hallway before the exit. Hit the generator and run. If the bloater is between you and the exit, mollie him and then hit him with the shotgun until he goes down.

There are three ways to get to the door. You don't need to use bombs and stuff. If you want a no-contact run to the door (assuming you have the keycard) there's a metal staircase in the large room to the left of the generator. Run up that way (immediately) and you'll never see the bloater or even any of the infected.

Yeah..I was thinking that as well, lol. He said that it was " Point, shoot, sneak, help AI teammate. Been there done it."

and I just feel like that is simplifying it quite a bit :/

That's someone with a very poor videogame IQ that thinks himself more clever than he really is. There are some subtleties in the ways TLoU differentiates itself from other TPS (I would cite the contextual combat/animation stuff for example) but really most of the differences aren't even subtle. Outside of maybe the floating pallet puzzels, TLoU has amazing gameplay. It's the best part of this game, which is saying a lot considering the attention the narrative/performances have attracted.

Moonlight

Banned
Hey, running into some issues with the game - loading, specifically. It's been hanging at 0.00% for... twenty minutes now, and I really couldn't tell you why or how. I've never had an issue like this before, usually it takes two minutes at most. But it's just been sitting at 0.00%, blinking while gold dust scatters in the background. I keep worrying if it's something to do with the disc (which is nearly pristine) or my PS3, and I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to be doing to fix it.

Anyone mind helping me out?

IISANDERII

spoiler tags Sander.

That is the hardest part of the game on survivor for sure.
Oops, thought this was a spoiler thread now. Changed it now.

Stopped at the hotel basement by the generator. I died about 5 times, thanks to that stupid bloater. Shit is tense.
This was pretty tough even on Normal and thought it would be impossible on Survivor but on Survivor the bloaty isn't in the keycard hallway, he's somewhere else. I didn't even have to run past him but he did chase me for a bit.It was actually easier on Survivor than Normal.

lmpaler

I ran right by them as fast as I could. Carded the door and went through it. Lol. I got lucky and I was scared.

Fear does things to a man

Finally beat it.

Play Time: 34:50 hours (I checked every corner)
Kills: 729 (WTF?)

Ending section made me cry for the first time. Intro got me choked up, but then for the rest of the game nothing really happened to my feelings, which I was surprised at. But the music at the end came way to unexpected and with everything together really hit me. I guess this is the gameplay moment that will make you cry that Neil Druckmann talked about. Didn't expect it so late, but boy did it work.

Good job Naughty Dog!

IISANDERII

:lol

I'm getting fuuuuucked up in Survivor. Runners seem to hear better and I can't get past the first runner/clicker area in the busted building haha.

Someday I will. Sooooomeday.
That's like one of the hardest parts of the game! I don't know why they made it like that.
edit: Or maybe it's the runners you can't really sneak up on unless they're in weep mode?

Superflat

:lol

I'm getting fuuuuucked up in Survivor. Runners seem to hear better and I can't get past the first runner/clicker area in the busted building haha.

Someday I will. Sooooomeday.

That was one of the things I noticed early on in Survivor. I basically had to approach Runners like they were Clickers, using the slow crouch walk to avoid getting heard. All the infected are much more sensitive, which I kinda liked. Made sneaking around them even more tense.

iNvid02

old? new?

fan film
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN_5IxLTaE4

its well made but its just goes to show how wrong the people who were clamoring for a TLOU movie were.

i dunno if it was just wanting to share the experience with more people (non-gamers) and movies being quite universal and easy to digest, or if it was the sentiment that only when a work of art has made it onto the big screen has it really "made it", but it just doesn't work, not for TLOU.

trying to recreate this experience in a movie is futile, it works so well because its a game

Vodh

old? new?

fan film

its well made but its just goes to show how wrong the people who were clamoring for a TLOU movie were.

i dunno if it was just wanting to share the experience with more people (non-gamers) and movies being quite universal and easy to digest, or if it was the sentiment that only when a work of art has made it onto the big screen has it really "made it", but it just doesn't work, not for TLOU.

trying to recreate this experience in a movie is futile, it works so well because its a game

It's really well made, but as far as voice goes, that guy is no Troy Baker. Can't expect it to work as well as the game does without the crucial parts being in place.

leng jai

Finally beat it.

Ending section made me cry for the first time. Intro got me choked up, but then for the rest of the game nothing really happened to my feelings, which I was surprised at. But the music at the end came way to unexpected and with everything together really hit me. I guess this is the gameplay moment that will make you cry that Neil Druckmann talked about. Didn't expect it so late, but boy did it work.

Good job Naughty Dog!

How on earth can you go for 35 hours? I checked most areas and finished in 14....

Kard8p3

That's someone with a very poor videogame IQ that thinks himself more clever than he really is. There are some subtleties in the ways TLoU differentiates itself from other TPS (I would cite the contextual combat/animation stuff for example) but really most of the differences aren't even subtle. Outside of maybe the floating pallet puzzels, TLoU has amazing gameplay. It's the best part of this game, which is saying a lot considering the attention the narrative/performances have attracted.

Yeah, I figured he thought of himself too highly, he even touted off he was going to school to become a video game programmer. But whatever, sometimes there's just no convincing people lol.

For those interested, a reddit AMA with Druckmann and Stanley July 31, 2013.

It’s your chance to get some of those questions answered as we’re doing our second Reddit AMA. Head over to Reddit and at 3pm PT/6pm ET on Wednesday July 31 to join in an Ask Me Anything with Bruce Straley, Game Director, and Neil Druckmann, Creative Director, on The Last of Us. Bruce and Neil will be taking all your questions and replying to them as in-depth and rapidly as possible. Just don’t ask about why Bruce just recently joined Twitter…

http://www.naughtydog.com/site/post/ask_me_anything_with_naughty_dogs_the_last_of_us_directors/

Finally beat it.

Good job Naughty Dog!

Hey, you took even longer than me, haha

I was right at 29.5 hours.

I dunno what to say about that kill count :p

Hey, you took even longer than me, haha

I was right at 29.5 hours.

I dunno what to say about that kill count :p
Well I definitely hate sneaking past enemies, so I always made sure to clean every area. Additional dialogue is nice too. However, I played pretty stealthy, didn't use my weapons that much. That's why I'm doubting that I choked out like 400 enemies. Maybe it counts restarts, I restarted quite I bit when I was unhappy with the result of an encounter.

I have mixed feelings about the ending. Pretty interesting choice they made, very unique. The more I think about it the more bad it becomes. And not in a quality kinda way, it is just really not a happy ending at all lol

ascii42

Well I definitely hate sneaking past enemies, so I always made sure to clean every area. Additional dialogue is nice too. However, I played pretty stealthy, didn't use my weapons that much. That's why I'm doubting that I choked out like 400 enemies. Maybe it counts restarts, I restarted quite I bit when I was unhappy with the result of an encounter.

I have mixed feelings about the ending. Pretty interesting choice they made, very unique. The more I think about it the more bad it becomes. And not in a quality kinda way, it is just really not a happy ending at all lol

It does indeed count restarts.

ZeroRay

My questions I humbly request one of you kind folks with a Reddit account to ask:

For Bruce:

Why only two encounters with
stalkers
? Both of them were very memorable and I'm curious to know why we didn't see more of them.

I hear there were more outlandish enemies and scenarios drawn up by designers that had to be scrapped in order to keep the game grounded. Can you list some of them?

For Niel:

How do you differentiate the idea of telling the story "during" gameplay as opposed to telling the story "through" gameplay?

From my viewpoint, it seems that most of the media is on "Team Marlene" in regards to the ending while the majority of gamers I've interacted with are on "Team Joel". What do you think about that?

Looking back at this thread from the Archives:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=454275

Some old interesting news regarding The Last Of Us. :)

The auto-translation is pretty much truth to the original. They basically say:

- Set in a near future

- Ants infection people. Some die. Some become zombie.
- Infection hits central america first, like texas and new mexico and then, after a hotbed in UK, they propragate to the rest of US (not sure I understand the dynamic here). US President declares allert status.
- Non.authorized experiments conducted in secret installations in south america are the cause of an infestation that hit vegetation first, and then ants.
- Infected ants are aggressive. Se man as a menace.
- First person view

and:

Guess what? MORE BOOM!

The terror comes from the ants!
There are only two days to the Video Game Awards 2011, the event that, in addition to rewarding games of 2011, will remove the veil of new titles including this new The Last of Us, PlayStation 3 exclusive.
As promised in the podcast, we reveal today the first information about the title being developed by a study in the famous and popular gaming scene.
According come to the office, we will set in the near future, in which, due to a contamination of ants, people will gradually become infected and lead to death while in some other real zombies. They will fall, hit by the infection, the first metropolitan cities of Central America such as Texas and New Mexico, so close the whole quarantine, and then, after an outbreak in the UK, although the United States of America, voice of its President, declare a state of alert.
Which scenario is then for the main character? Imagine being trapped in a world where you are left to themselves, only survivors, a kind of "I Am Legend," for those who have read the book or seen the movie with actor Will Smith. In contrast, however, already known to most of the script, the protagonist tries to save his family, and at the same time try to understand where it comes from this infection.
You will find that in the forests of South America where there are secret installations were performed unauthorized experiments that have plagued the adjacent vegetation, including ants. These little insects assume a particularly aggressive stance much to see in man a form of threat. A similar pattern is present in the book "The Hephaestus plague" which later was made ​​into the movie "Bug, insect of fire", where a colony of insects sticking out of the ground and began to kill the man.
The view should be in first person, just to bring more intensity and emotion to the gameplay.

and then rewatching the reveal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLGxubfC1Ik

It's simply amazing seeing how much this game has evolved since 2011. Honestly, if The Last of Us was a game were Joel and Ellie are father and daughter, fighting ants (lol?) trying to discover the origin and find a cure for the infection, the game would have probably not been as memorable and loveable. I seriously love how it went from a generic "SAVE THE WORLD AND YOUR FAMILY" plot into a more mature meaningful plot. I love how they scrapped the "WORLD IS FALLING APART", and just threw you into the world, no need to have the games world's political back story thrown at you.

Also, thank you Naughty Dog for that change from First Person to Third Person <3

Why only two encounters with
stalkers
? Both of them were very memorable and I'm curious to know why we didn't see more of them

... what the heck is a
stalker
? Through my playthrough I only noticed
infected types,
runners
clickers
, and
bloaters
. :|

old? new?

fan film

This was pretty damn great.

ascii42

... what the heck is a
stalker
? Through my playthrough I only noticed
infected types,
runners
clickers
, and
bloaters
. :|

Stalkers are when the infection has started to sprout out of their heads. Did you notice any stalks sticking out of the heads of what you thought were runners?

Love the hardwork that was put into this game, for me personally i have found Naughty Dog to be consistent ever since the days of Crash Bandicoot, even though the original founders left the studio, the quality pillar they have just didnt go away. Just when you think this gen was getting boring, a game like this comes out, been playing the multiplayer too, anyone interested in adding me, feel free.
PSN: tosyn_88

phoenixyz

So, I finally finished TLoU. While there are still a few months left I'm pretty sure this game is going to be my disappointment of the year. This baffles me even more considering I'm usually not the one to dislike a universally praised game. TLoU is just too gamey. It doesn't fit the theme, story and atmosphere.
So you can shoot a guy, who's 4 meters away from you, directly in the chest with a shotgun and he just shrugs it off and shoots you in the face (which you, obviously, also survive no problem). When some guy sees you, all his friends get an instant telepathic update on your position. And "Oh, I can't run here? So probably Ellie has to go first so that something scripted can happen".
There were 5 minutes of exploring, dialogue and story (the brilliant parts of the game)? Get ready for another attack of the generic-bad-guy-clone-army! We don't want you to have too much fun, do we? All done? So let's do some more bonding with a little chit-chat after some old dude and a little girl murdered 10 armed guys who appeared out of nowhere for no reason. And how fortunate that there is always a stable and mostly functional wood pallet nearby when there is some body of water to traverse. Let's not forget that, of course, the boss of the level needs more than one assassination attack to kill. Whats different about him compared to all the other guys who die immediately? Nothing really, but he's an important character! Or the self-annihilating guns. You kill some guy who literally one second before had a gun in his hand. Once he's dead, it's gone.
All this are prime examples of bending the world to your idea of game design. That's of course not necessarily bad for many (or even most) games. But for me personally this ruined TLoU as it's not coherent with the theme of the game (to use the phrasing of Clint Hocking's column in the recent EDGE). Every time something like this happened my mind got catapulted out of the world the game creates and back into my living room. Was Naughty Dog so immensely afraid of just doing a game where you are not killing hundreds of people? That the target audience would shun it for the lack of action and Sony would start to breath heavily down their neck? I don't get it, this game could have been so much more (at least to me).

Oyashiro

I just finished this game and now I dont know what to do with my life. Probably game of the generation for me, and definitely in my Top 10 games ever. Was expecting the ending to make me cry, but my eyes just watered a bit ;) At the end, I definitely got the feeling that
Ellie knew Joel was lying
. Also, in the very last "stage", are you supposed to kill
all the doctors? I killed two of them before I realized I could interact with Ellie.

dyergram

I wonder if a new ND game is teased in any of the movie posters. I'd play the shit out of a third person werewolf game for example.

Superflat

I just finished this game and now I dont know what to do with my life. Probably game of the generation for me, and definitely in my Top 10 games ever. Was expecting the ending to make me cry, but my eyes just watered a bit ;) At the end, I definitely got the feeling that
all the doctors? I killed two of them before I realized I could interact with Ellie.

Nah,
just the one that threatens you with the knife

On another note I'm STILL playing the game after having beaten it fully at least 4 times, and just playing random chapters. Still finding new things I missed. It's a sickness, and the only cure is more TLOU.

I'm replaying the David showdown, and I think this game play mode, this mission type, could solve all our problems with dissonance if developers made violent video games focusing on a game that contains solely these kinds of encounters.

Also, the whole Winter Chapter is stunning throughout.

I watched my cousin play this a bit earlier today and just simply watching the cutscenes still evoke the same feelings in me. Especially the intro scene. I'm on my second playthrough on Survivor and god damn it's hard.

mrpeabody

Looking back at this thread from the Archives:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=454275

Some old interesting news regarding The Last Of Us. :)

and:

and then rewatching the reveal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLGxubfC1Ik

It's simply amazing seeing how much this game has evolved since 2011. Honestly, if The Last of Us was a game were Joel and Ellie are father and daughter, fighting ants (lol?) trying to discover the origin and find a cure for the infection, the game would have probably not been as memorable and loveable. I seriously love how it went from a generic "SAVE THE WORLD AND YOUR FAMILY" plot into a more mature meaningful plot. I love how they scrapped the "WORLD IS FALLING APART", and just threw you into the world, no need to have the games world's political back story thrown at you.

Fighting ants in the rainforest. Can you imagine?

It just goes to show that execution is everything. This game would have been completely different in other hands.

lmpaler

I did because
Fuck them for trying to kill Ellie

explodet

Finished all single-player trophies. Had to play through the game 3 and a half times.

Muuuuuuuuh
Pittsburgh
WHY ARE YOU SO BLOODY LONG

I'm about to buy this game today. What's the best way to play? And have the save issues been fixed?

Also, what was Amir's total play time? The last i remember about a month ago he was at 36 hours and wasn't even halfway through the game. I want to know because i'm just like him the way i play. I explore everything in a game i enjoy. I leave no corner un-checked and i love taking in the game environment. I did the same with Batman AA and AC and recently with Bioshock Infinite.

Quick

Banned
GOT THE FUCK OUT OF THAT BASEMENT. OH GOD.

I flubbed and hit triangle on the door, instead of the card reader, and the bloater was so close. I think it ran behind me the moment the door opened.

I flubbed and hit triangle on the door, instead of the card reader, and the bloater was so close. I think it ran behind me the moment the door opened.

That whole section is the scariest part of the game. The sounds as the infected run around, the echoed clicks and screams. So unnerving

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

I hated that part on Survivor, I knew that the enemy placements had been changed. What I didn't know was
that a fucking Bloater was going to be directly in my way!

Top Bottom