• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Superflat

Awesome Roundtable about the ending on Polygon:
http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/24/4548992/the-ending-of-the-last-of-us

One of these two should have reviewed the game

He kills hundreds of people and non-people (565 in my playthrough) to accomplish his goal.

WHAAAAAT?

And it's interesting to see most people in the games editorial industry
take Marlene's side compared to much of GAF and general consumers being much more sympathetic to Joel and Ellie's side. I always thought that was weird. No one mentions that Ellie had no choice in the matter and was a (unconscious) sheep led to the slaughter house.

Same with the "does Ellie know he's telling her a lie at that moment" situation, even though in the spoiler interview the creators later basically confirmed that yes, she knew.

There's a lot of blatant assumptions peppered in the article, but that generates discussions I s'pose. Had fun reading it.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
WHAAAAAT?

And it's interesting to see most people in the games editorial industry take Marlene's side compared to much of GAF and general consumers being much more sympathetic to Joel and Ellie's side. I always thought that was weird. No one mentions that Ellie had no choice in the matter and was a (unconscious) sheep led to the slaughter house.

Same with the "does Ellie know he's telling her a lie at that moment" situation, even though in the spoiler interview the creators later basically confirmed that yes, she knew.

There's a lot of blatant assumptions peppered in the article, but that generates discussions I s'pose. Had fun reading it.

The media really sees Joel as an irredeemable monster. I don't believe this was the writers' intent.

I thought the writers clearly penned a redemption story told via a father-daughter relationship. I've honestly been really surprised the way most have interpreted it. I think they are bringing their own baggage and preconceptions into rather than letting the story just be what it is.

lmpaler

Only clickers can survive a headshot... for them it takes two.

And helmeted guys later in the game, but even then it depends.

Arrow to the head of a sleeping clicker is a one hit. Just have to have a powerful weapon.

I let my little sister borrow my copy this week. I cannot wait to get back into the multiplayer and my Survivor run.

I dare say, and I'm thinking of making a thread about it, the MP in this game is the best of the console generation

Superflat

The media really sees Joel as an irredeemable monster. I don't believe this was the writers' intent.

I thought the writers clearly penned a redemption story told via a father-daughter relationship. I've honestly been really surprised the way most have interpreted it. I think they are bringing their own baggage and preconceptions into rather than letting the story just be what it is.

Yea, I felt that he was twisting narrative beats
to fit his interpretation of Joel in the end. For example, when Joel accepts the photo from Ellie in Spring. Chris reinterprets that into something else to fit with his narrative that Joel is a sociopath. Same with the lie.
Both need to work (in a way not intended), to fit that framework.

But even if Joel was a sociopath, how would you explain
his relationship with his daughter, or him feeling a sense of responsibility to Tess, or empathizing with Bill over his dead partner in their last exchange?
Sociopaths wouldn't be able to relate to anything Joel went through.

There's a difference between accepting the brutality of the world and being a murderer purely for their own gain and pleasure. Joel ain't the latter from everything I've seen.

edit: I assume spoilers are okay to run free in this thread after the name change? :O
I should keep the meat of it for the spoiler thread though, I guess.

edit 2: Gonna spoiler tag specific parts anyway :p

velociraptor

Oh man, this game is so good.

I don't think I have ever been so gripped by a game's story. This is better than most movies.

So many feels.

Lol.

Finished. Thought it was awesome, had many absolutely stunning moments in it. In fact, pretty much all of it was fantastic.

Not sure what to think about the ending just yet...

I'll play NG+ at some point. So, do I now have to play the game all the way through on Survival, then Survival+ ?

I only got one Trophy throughout the entire playthrough (other than the Easy, Normal, Hard ones at the end).

If I goto NG+, will be collectible items remain, or do I have to find them all again?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Fuck I'm getting raped in multi.

My k/d ratio is almost always 1-6 or 1-7. :(

Any tips?

Purchase/upgrade weapons. Stick with your team. Craft shit.

I personally never buy armor. And only spend on purchasable weapons. I run crafter 3 for the easy gifting and usually covert 2, but I'm considering ditching covert altogether.

But yeah, El Diablo, the AR15, shotgun... (flamethrower in very close quarters) they are death machines. I prefer high damage weapons and inflicting heavy damage over absorbing damage ala armor.

But different people have different styles. Did you know you can upgrade your weapons during the match?

Stillmatic

Superflat said:
He kills hundreds of people and non-people (565 in my playthrough) to accomplish his goal.
WHAAAAAT?

I did a play-through where my goal was to get through the game only killing those you're forced to to progress (locked doors etc).

This was my kill tally:
*only player controlled
*not being cheap running around waiting for allies to kill enemies, but as a result of your allies being active in fights it'll vary slightly each play-through.
*I was going to upload the play-through (can't be fucked now) and as I was editing was manually keeping count of kills.

edit:
Joel:
114 102 humans (hunters/doctor) <-- there's a section I want to try again, which would bring this number down to 102 if I can do it. (escape from the University) edit: you can sneak through, so i've taken off 12
88 infected

Ellie:
1 human (David)
38 infected

Stillmatic

tlou_000268soy5.png

tlou_00014qoojs.png

Andrew.

Banned
Just discovered that Joel can fuck around playing the piano before he and Ellie move it in the hotel.

This is gonna end up being one of those games where I discover something new every time I play it, similar to re4

Stillmatic

Just discovered that Joel can fuck around playing the piano before he and Ellie move it in the hotel.

This is gonna end up being one of those games where I discover something new every time I play it, similar to re4

Yeah it's great like that. For me I don't remember Ellie bringing the joke book out at all on my first play-through. On my last play-through she fired it up 3 times, each time with different puns/jokes. One of the times we were with Sam and Henry, Sam chimed in with some of his own.

Couple more screens:
tlou_00029bkq0q.png

tlou_000304oq03.png

nib95

Banned
For the last couple of months I've attempted to be on complete media blackout for The Last Of Us, and I have mostly achieved my goal, thank God. I've had it since Tuesday, just finished it. Took my time with it, played it mostly at nighttime. I explored, scavenged and absorbed the world Druckmann and Stapley have created as much as I could. This game is really something special. You know, I could write about how marvelous the level design, or how the combat mechanics and gunplay feel are pitch point perfect, or how every corner of the game is jam-packed with unique detailing. Or the emotionally affecting and draining story, how the characters will stick with you, how you'll actually feel for these people. But there's not much point in describing any of this, really. Fact of the matter is TLoU is simply one of the best games of this generation, and it's everything I could've hoped for from the Straley/Druckmann duo. ND should be proud of what they have accomplished, and Sony should give these two free reign. Neil Druckmann has got to be the best writer currently working in this industry.

But aren't you or didn't you used to be Mr Negativity?

Leeness

:lol

I'm getting fuuuuucked up in Survivor. Runners seem to hear better and I can't get past the first runner/clicker area in the busted building haha.

Someday I will. Sooooomeday.

Stillmatic once you have all your favorite shots let me know. We should make a new thread of just the visuals of the game.

It's crazy that the game is so amazing that it being one of the most beautiful isn't even a main topic of conversation. Fire looked pretty great in Uncharted 3 but ND mastered it for TLoU.

Stillmatic

Stillmatic once you have all your favorite shots let me know. We should make a new thread of just the visuals of the game.

It's crazy that the game is so amazing that it being one of the most beautiful isn't even a main topic of conversation. Fire looked pretty great in Uncharted 3 but ND mastered it for TLoU.

Sweeeet, I'll flick you a PM later on. :)

Footos22

Purchase/upgrade weapons. Stick with your team. Craft shit.

I personally never buy armor. And only spend on purchasable weapons. I run crafter 3 for the easy gifting and usually covert 2, but I'm considering ditching covert altogether.

But yeah, El Diablo, the AR15, shotgun... (flamethrower in very close quarters) they are death machines. I prefer high damage weapons and inflicting heavy damage over absorbing damage ala armor.

But different people have different styles. Did you know you can upgrade your weapons during the match?

Stick in a group, You are not Rambo.
Silenced semi auto
9mm
Covert training 2
Crafter 3

come top every game.
craft and gift as much as possible by the end of the second round you will have a fully upgraded semi auto and body armour as long as you dont die.
was very rare for me not to finish top with 10+ kills every game.
I only played survivors though.

they will probably nerf crafter 3 in the next patch though as its pretty broken lol

Andrew.

Banned

Those charred bodies with the embers still glowing on them and floating around.

My god

lmpaler

Yeah it's great like that. For me I don't remember Ellie bringing the joke book out at all on my first play-through. On my last play-through she fired it up 3 times, each time with different puns/jokes. One of the times we were with Sam and Henry, Sam chimed in with some of his own.

Couple more screens:
tlou_00029bkq0q.png

tlou_000304oq03.png

Joel dropping a mean deuce lol

Yea, I felt that he was twisting narrative beats
to fit his interpretation of Joel in the end. For example, when Joel accepts the photo from Ellie in Spring. Chris reinterprets that into something else to fit with his narrative that Joel is a sociopath. Same with the lie.
Both need to work (in a way not intended), to fit that framework.

But even if Joel was a sociopath, how would you explain
his relationship with his daughter, or him feeling a sense of responsibility to Tess, or empathizing with Bill over his dead partner in their last exchange?
Sociopaths wouldn't be able to relate to anything Joel went through.

There's a difference between accepting the brutality of the world and being a murderer purely for their own gain and pleasure. Joel ain't the latter from everything I've seen.

edit: I assume spoilers are okay to run free in this thread after the name change? :O
I should keep the meat of it for the spoiler thread though, I guess.

edit 2: Gonna spoiler tag specific parts anyway :p

For me, everything about the ending
felt like Unforgiven. It wasn't a matter of frontier justice per se, but there was a similar sense for me of people with lofty ideals overreaching their authority, and that when stripped of society, loyalty and family become the guideline for morality. TLoU wrapped up feeling like a modern western to me.

ZeroRay

Noticing the framerate issues a lot more on my second playthrough. Any open area with lost of foliage makes the game run at like 25FPS.

Still, the amount of detail ND got on the screen on the PS3 at this point is nothing short of extraordinary. To the point where I never really found any major weaknesses in the environment design and art. Even objects with low rez textures fit in the spots ND's artists put them in.

Jachaos

Platinum'd it ! Awesome, my first Platinum trophy so far and one of the few games I've 100%'d on either PSN or XBL (1000/1000 Sleeping Dogs, COD2, COD4 and NHL07, 400/400 THPS HD and 3 on 3 NHL Arcade. Sleeping Dogs I'm only two achievements away from completing the DLC ones too)

Finished it a few days ago and definitely one of my favorite from this gen. I played it on normal with listening mode turned off. Is new game plus harder? I'm wondering if I should replay it on hard or on normal newgame+

New Game Plus is actually easier. What it does is it keeps all the collectibles you found as well as the upgrades you made to your weapons and to your health. That latter part s what makes it easier, Joel and your guns are already partially upgraded. I went straight to Survival+ and it wasn't too hard thanks to those upgrades. Without them it would've been much tougher.

Andrew.

Banned
Platinum'd it ! Awesome, my first Platinum trophy so far and one of the few games I've 100%'d on either PSN or XBL (1000/1000 Sleeping Dogs, COD2, COD4 and NHL07, 400/400 THPS HD and 3 on 3 NHL Arcade. Sleeping Dogs I'm only two achievements away from completing the DLC ones too)

Cool story bro.

]New Game Plus is actually easier. What it does is it keeps all the collectibles you found as well as the upgrades you made to your weapons and to your health. That latter part s what makes it easier, Joel and your guns are already partially upgraded. I went straight to Survival+ and it wasn't too hard thanks to those upgrades. Without them it would've been much tougher.

Do a vanilla Survivor run if you want to be a whole man.

Andrew.

Banned
You guys have to watch this documentary. They go into some really great stuff.

More big budget, story driven, cinematic game experiences need docus to accompany them. "Grounded" is a phenomenal watch and such a great side piece to the game. Really makes you appreciate the craft, the people and the work that goes into creating a masterpiece such as this.

More big budget, story driven, cinematic game experiences need docus to accompany them. "Grounded" is a phenomenal watch and such a great side piece to the game. Really makes you appreciate the craft, the people and the work that goes into creating a masterpiece such as this.

That part with Troy Baker acting out when
Sarah Dies
. Is incredible. I also didn't realize ND was still key framing the animation for the characters faces and only mo-capping body movement. Amazing stuff.

Andrew.

Banned
That part with Troy Baker acting out when
Sarah Dies
. Is incredible. I also didn't realize ND was still key framing the animation for the characters faces and only mo-capping body movement. Amazing stuff.

Yeah and the story that accompanies it was even better. Druckmann completely drained him emotionally, the camera crew guy couldnt stick around because he was so disturbed/heartwrenched due to the number of takes and watching Baker break down constantly and THEN Neil tells Troy a couple weeks later they need to re-shoot it after Baker believes that that scene was a wrap. =P

And THAT's when they get the perfect take. Haha

Yeah and the story that accompanies it was even better. Druckmann completely drained him emotionally, the camera crew guy couldnt stick around because he was so disturbed/heartwrenched due to the number of takes and watching Baker break down constantly and THEN Neil tells Troy a couple weeks later they need to re-shoot it after Baker believes that that scene was a wrap. =P

Just a staggering amount of commitment

KorrZ

I did really enjoy seeing that. I loved the counterbalance of Troy's desire to display his acting talents v.s. what was actually required for the story and Joel's character and how Neil got that across to him.

Kard8p3

So GAF, do you think the Last Of Us have average gameplay? I saw someone mention that on Facebook, and I just don't really agree. I mean, sure, it doesn't do anything super innovative, but at the same time everything feels tight and polished, I wouldn't call that "average"; would you?

Quick

Banned
Finally got the fuck out of Bill's town.

Ellie busting out the magazine, "I wanna see what the fuss is all about," and, "why are all these pages stuck together." Had to pause to laugh.

Imm0rt4l

I've been playing a lot of the multiplayer, but it's probably about time I do my 4th playthrough and get all the collectibles.

Has anyone bought The Last of Us American Dream comics?

IISANDERII

Playing
as Ellie
, I'm at the last stand with
David
when many infected are attacking us. Playing on Survivor and it's tough as hell with low ammo and items.
I've died 7 times or so already trying to pass this part. How many more will it take?

RoKKeR

Stopped at the hotel basement by the generator. I died about 5 times, thanks to that stupid bloater. Shit is tense.

Just run. It might take you a few tries but as soon as you open that door you are good to go. I'm on my third playthrough and still haven't killed that guy, I run every time because I'm a scared coward.

Top Bottom