• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

I may have found the most ridiculous and just plain bad review there is.
Unfortunately its in german, so most of you can't "enjoy" it, but for all those german speaking gaffers I would recommend it, its somewhere between sadly funny and anger inducing stupid.

Its divided in two parts
Game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Octas1B14iU
Film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhkCiN7XTmY

Their points are: (and I'm not making that up :D)

Bad gameplay mechanics
Boring gameplay
Not open world although the story would require it
Crafting system is stupid and unnecesary
Bad level design
Bad monster design("popcorn face", "looks lika a kid made it with playdo")
Bad names for the monsters(He literaly said, that they don't have scary names like "Nemesis" or "Neptun" but childish names)
Bad acting(overacting, underacting)
Bad dialog
Uninteresting characters
Incoherent, bad and boring story
Incoherent world
Wannabe emotional
Not authentic(like a soap opera)
Bad facial animations (stiff and jerky "like speaking masks on dummys")
Bad overall animations
Bad sound ("turned it off at the end")
Generic set and character design

Not a single positive thing was mentioned.

Thats not "opinion" anymore, thats just pure stupidity or fanboyish hate.

Holy shit... I borrowed a friend's PS3 just to play this and damn... What a great game.

This is what I want out of my hobby. More Walking Dead and Last of Us and less convoluted crap like Halo, or the myriad of ridiculous Japanese stories ala FFXIII-2.

I want more scenes of
Ellie and Joel watching the giraffes
and less Mass Effect 3 endings.

Also (minor ending spoilers)
I disagree with Joel's decision at the end, but I completely understand his motivations and reasoning. So many games forgo motivation in their characters...

Superflat

Bad gameplay mechanics
Boring gameplay
Bad level design
Bad names for the monsters(He literaly said, that they don't have scary names like "Nemesis" or "Neptun" but childish names)
Bad dialog
Uninteresting characters
Incoherent world
Wannabe emotional
Bad overall animations

Jesus. Majority of those points are just fuckin' unreal, even accounting for subjectivity.

Am i playing this right? :D
lastofus.jpg

Chokepoints for the win! and atleast on Hard the ammo is enough to conduct slaughters everytime there's a confrontation. Seems like Ellie keeps spawning shotgun shells from her backpack too.

rafaelr

Unfortunately its in german, so most of you can't "enjoy" it, but for all those german speaking gaffers I would recommend it, its somewhere between sadly funny and anger inducing stupid.

Its divided in two parts

Bad gameplay mechanics
Boring gameplay
Bad level design
Bad dialog
Uninteresting characters
Incoherent world
Wannabe emotional
Bad overall animations

seriously?! i wanna watch this, but i don´t wanna give them any views

velociraptor

So I just picked up TLOU. Now I don't care much about trophies unless the game is really good.

Are the trophies for this game still glitched?

Ramenman

I finished the game. Mixed feelings.

So, okay. The writing, and acting in cut-scenes quality is top notch and a level of quality I've never seen in a game. The graphics are, most of the time, incredible. The melee combat and animations are absolutely glorious.

The intro was absolutely stellar. The
beginning of Winter is a masterful break like only Naughty Dog can achieve

For the less good stuff, a few times (2 or 3) I was at a loss of where to go or what to do, for like 5 minutes. Annoying, in such a linear game. Also, some things like the audio feedbacks (for detection), just are never clearly explained. I knew it was trying to tell me something, but never really knew what to make of it.
Also, I felt that at the end, the gunfights were more and more forced on me, and stealth/melee less possible. It might be just me, but as a result it made the fights far less enjoyable at the end than at the beginning, where I felt I had more options.
And then for all the amazing graphics and cool sequences, some other are just plain boring/bad, and there are someplaces where clearly the graphics aren't up to the rest of the game's standards. Overall I got the feeling the game would have benefited from being shorter.

But all that's kind of alright I guess. My biggest gripe is that the game still suffers from a lot of bullshit that has been wrong in other games for a long time.

Stupid Companion AI that walks right in front of the nose of ennemies, without them seeing anything (of course nobody wants to be detected because of a stupid NPC ally, but that just takes you right out of your immersion).
Characters talking out loud near ennemies, or forced to make a lot of noise right after you went through a stealth section and ennemies are still nearby (it will either make you detected, so thanks for ruining my stealth, or it won't, but then it's ridiculous and again breaks immersion).
Several times, I was faced with obstacles or gameplay situations that, again were ridiculous or made no sense. It's particular cases so I wouldn't list them all, but again, immersion breaking.
The sequences where you make Ellie cross over water on wood-things are also way too "game-y" (it would be less of a problem if there were less of them, and they change the mesh of the object you use everytime).

Now all of you might say this is just details, and that's true. But those "details" all chip away at immersion, and in a way, they undo the amazing writing and acting. I personally have a problem with hailing a game as the perfect-citizen-kaneness-of-oh-my-god-stories--in-game-so-mature when it still has those kind of issues.

Story in games isn't all cut-scenes. It has to also work as a game, and sometimes it clearly fails here. Probably it's a step in the right direction, probably, I'll give them that.

It's not a bad game by any means, though, but where the cut-scenes were an all-time high, I only seemed to enjoy half of the gameplay.

IISANDERII

WTF @ Survivor

You can't sneak up on hunters now? I'm in the downtown bit where you meet multiple infected for the first time

9070026048_2378e6fdaf_o.jpg

I've died in this section 50 times now. 95% of the time you try to sneak up on one of them and they notice you immediately.
Is this a must brawl area?

Vashetti

Banned
WTF @ Survivor

You can't sneak up on hunters now? I'm in the downtown bit where you meet multiple infected for the first time

I've died in this section 50 times now. 95% of the time you try to sneak up on one of them and they notice you immediately.

Go back down the corridor behind you, turn right and stealthily take out the dude just standing there.

Move back up the corridor to where you are in that screenshot. Sneak into the room to the left and stealthily grab the dude that goes around in a constant loop.

The rest are tough I'm afraid. You will likely have to fight them. Good luck!

I'm nearing the end and want to know exactly how much time I have left.

In spring, I just:

Got past the giraffes, and Ellie and I just came upon some infected as we're trying to get into the hospital.

I know I'm near the end, I just want to know if it's like 30 minutes or more like 90. Going to finish this tonight and need to know how much time I need to set aside.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
One plus side to this game, after marathoning it for 15 hours on my 5 year old ps3 and having it's fans go ape shit.

Every other game I play now the fans don't work as hard and the system isn't as hot.

Thank you last of us for dusting out my ps3

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
WTF @ Survivor

Hunters are humans.

As far as stealth killing runners, you're probably being too slow to press triangle. This was confusing to me at first, since most stealth game like Splinter Cell work completely opposite, but in TLoU you have to hit triangle at nearly the exact moment you are "allowed" to. There is a very small window. No matter how slow/quietly you walk, if you linger behind them they will spin on you. Every time. The only exceptions are the runners just standing around hunched over. You can take as long or get as close as you want to grab them. But the runners who are walking around, you have to get on triangle as soon as you are in range to grab them.

Tricky on survivor, since there's no prompt. And the grab range is actually a lot farther than most stealth games.

Evolved1

Has someone made a melee weapon comparison between the bat, 2x4 and pipe? Like a damage to the number of hits ratio?

In my experience, they all seem to do the same damage. But, iirc the pipe has one more hit than the bat, and the 2x4 is the lowest amount of hits. 2x4 is basically only good for one enemy in open combat. If you bottle-stun, the you can milk it for the OHK's.

I think damage is the same, just durability is different.

As for the bladed weapons like the machete and hatchet... I think they are basically OHK weapons. I rarely ever just hit a guy with melee though... usually it's only after a stun, so hard for me to say. I'm especially careful with the bladed weapons when I get them, since they're so rare.

Has someone made a melee weapon comparison between the bat, 2x4 and pipe? Like a damage to the number of hits ratio?

As far as I can tell, there is no real "damage," just the number of hits allowed before breaking. Non-upgraded melee weapons are best utilized with a bottle/brick however as this allows them to kill in 1 hit.

Evolved1

As far as I can tell, there is no real "damage," just the number of hits allowed before breaking. Non-upgraded melee weapons are best utilized with a bottle/brick however as this allows them to kill in 1 hit.

And if you don't have a brick/bottle to stun... a running melee will usually take them off their feet. Allowing you to kill in 2 hits.

Grinchy

Banned
Hunters are humans.

As far as stealth killing runners, you're probably being too slow to press triangle. This was confusing to me at first, since most stealth game like Splinter Cell work completely opposite, but in TLoU you have to hit triangle at nearly the exact moment you are "allowed" to. There is a very small window. No matter how slow/quietly you walk, if you linger behind them they will spin on you. Every time. The only exceptions are the runners just standing around hunched over. You can take as long or get as close as you want to grab them. But the runners who are walking around, you have to get on triangle as soon as you are in range to grab them.

Tricky on survivor, since there's no prompt. And the grab range is actually a lot farther than most stealth games.

Yep, this is correct. I got through that area with total stealth and then I just shot the clicker to death from far away when it was the last thing alive. Just do this and you'll be fine.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome, though I'd advise you to stay out of here until you're finished since the thread now allows for unmarked spoilers.

Stay out of the "Year of the Bow" thread, too =/

Fucking hell, that's the first time I've ever been spoiled on this forum. What a terrible game to have even the slightest hint of something given away, in such a random thread.

I'm in the last 5% of the game. I'm sure the ending will still leave a good impression, but geez...

kris.

Banned
Okay so I was finally able to borrow this from a friend and started playing a little before work. I STARTED TEARING UP WITHIN THE FIRST 5 MINUTES
THANKS NAUGHTY DOG FOR MAKING ME FEEL LIKE THE OPPOSITE OF A MAN

I can already tell this game is gonna leave me an emotional wreck.

Andrew.

Banned
Ok so i any of you have the regular edition Pulse headsets, go to the Audio options menu and set it to:

Dolby Pro II 5.1
Speaker output: Small
Range: Normal

Prepare to be blown the fuck away.

WTF @ Survivor

Aside from what was said above, when you are sneaking in survival mode, make sure you arent pressing the left analog stick at full force when sneaking up on anything. I think they hear you immediately once you are in the vicinity.

Okay so I was finally able to borrow this from a friend and started playing a little before work. I STARTED TEARING UP WITHIN THE FIRST 5 MINUTES
THANKS NAUGHTY DOG FOR MAKING ME FEEL LIKE THE OPPOSITE OF A MAN

I can already tell this game is gonna leave me an emotional wreck.

Yup. Welcome to the grown men crying club.

Evolved1

What difficulty should I start the game at? I'm thinking hard but what if it's too difficult?

How hard is hard mode?

So basically the only real difference in the difficulty modes that I can tell is the amount of supplies you get. Like maybe Joel takes more damage, but I honestly can't tell. All the enemies seem to die in the same amount of shots/hits no matter the difficulty, so really the setting just has to do with whether you want to go guns blazing the entire game (normal gives you the ammo to do this to a certain extent) or really think about how and when you craft/use stuff.

Superflat

So basically the only real difference in the difficulty modes that I can tell is the amount of supplies you get. Like maybe Joel takes more damage, but I honestly can't tell. All the enemies seem to die in the same amount of shots/hits no matter the difficulty, so really the setting just has to do with whether you want to go guns blazing the entire game (normal gives you the ammo to do this to a certain extent) or really think about how and when you craft/use stuff.

The amount of damage you can take is pretty different between normal and later difficulty levels with certain stuff. Wrestling an infected or hunter off of you drains your health pretty good in hard and survivor, while in easy and normal it's dismissible chip damage.

Getting hit with bullets is pretty dangerous across the board, across all difficulties. Even easy doesn't let you be anywhere near as resilient as Drake in Uncharted.

But yeah, the biggest thing you'll feel is the lack of resources.

Its divided in two parts

Bad gameplay mechanics
Boring gameplay
Bad level design
Bad dialog
Uninteresting characters
Incoherent world
Wannabe emotional
Bad overall animations

When you're desperate for hits, anything goes. But this is a bit childish. They are overplaying it to stand out.

What difficulty should I start the game at? I'm thinking hard but what if it's too difficult?

How hard is hard mode?

I played through it on hard and really enjoyed it. I never felt secure with the amount of ammunition and supplies I had, but thinking back I was never truly lacking.

It just forced me to use all of the available weapons, which I consider a positive.

Edit: It adds a LOT of tension in some key moments as well. I imagine if I was able to blast my way through certain obstacles I wouldn't have felt the fear the developers were clearly aiming for.

Quick question, checking through my stats after finishing this incredible game, even though I spent time checking all the nooks and crannies for everything, I only got about 100 of the collectibles.
When I re-start the game on New Game +, will only the artifacst, Firefly pendant, training manual and comic book etc appear that I haven't already found.
Aware that all my upgrades etc are pulled over to my new game +, but I cant find anywhere to state if I need to re-collect everything again or just the ones I did not find the first time.

Field

Finished it a few days ago and definitely one of my favorite from this gen. I played it on normal with listening mode turned off. Is new game plus harder? I'm wondering if I should replay it on hard or on normal newgame+

Quick question, checking through my stats after finishing this incredible game, even though I spent time checking all the nooks and crannies for everything, I only got about 100 of the collectibles.
When I re-start the game on New Game +, will only the artifacst, Firefly pendant, training manual and comic book etc appear that I haven't already found.
Aware that all my upgrades etc are pulled over to my new game +, but I cant find anywhere to state if I need to re-collect everything again or just the ones I did not find the first time.

Training manuals and toolkits are the only items that won't reappear for pickup (toolkits appear as open toolboxes that don't really standout any longer). Comics, artifacts, and pendants all appear as normal, which does make it more difficult to know which ones you're missing. You only need to find the new ones I believe.

Evolved1

There's a certain area in the game with a good number of artifacts that many of us missed first time through... they are all in the same, easily accessible place. That might be too good of a hint, idk.

velociraptor

Wow - for a game which touts itself as game with an emphasis on survival and realism, it really is stupid. I shoot people in the face, they don't die.

Playing the game on hard, but c'mon, a headshot should always be a one hit kill.

Wow - for a game which touts itself as game with an emphasis on survival and realism, it really is stupid. I shoot people in the face, they don't die.

Playing the game on hard, but c'mon, a headshot should always be a one hit kill.

Unless they have a helmet they always die with a headshot.

Andrew.

Banned

They are one-hit kills unless they have a helmet on and even then with a full powered rifle the helmeted guys go down in one shot too. You need to aim a little better. No sway helps a ton obviously.

Evolved1

Only clickers can survive a headshot... for them it takes two.

And helmeted guys later in the game, but even then it depends.

Vodh

Only clickers can survive a headshot... for them it takes two.

And helmeted guys later in the game, but even then it depends.

The way I think it works for helmeted guys is if you shoot them straight in an exposed part of the face, they die in one shot - if not, it takes more. So yeah, this isn't game absolutely devoid of flaws, but that ain't one.

Top Bottom