• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

I honestly didn't encounter the Bloater from the basement after I turned the generator on.

Probably due to the fact that I already know the pathway before I turned it on and ran like a bitch when I heard the screams. :D

Quick

Banned
I honestly didn't encounter the Bloater from the basement after I turned the generator on.

Probably due to the fact that I already know the pathway before I turned it on and ran like a bitch when I heard the screams. :D

I ended up killing the Stalkers first, grabbing the keycard, took a deep breath, started up the generator, RAN THE FUCK TO THE DOOR.

KorrZ

I just got past that hotel basement section again. I bolted through everything so fast - and for the third time in a row still managed to accidentally try to open the door before swiping the keycard -.-

That section, and the infected section in the university dorms are the creepiest in the game. They just make me feel so uncomfortable.

RoKKeR

I just got past that hotel basement section again. I bolted through everything so fast - and for the third time in a row still managed to accidentally try to open the door before swiping the keycard -.-

That section, and the infected section in the university dorms are the creepiest in the game. They just make me feel so uncomfortable.

Haha holy shit, I do the door thing as well. That section freaked me out so much. Not much of a horror fan.

I wasn't a fan of the automatic runner spawn/alert as soon as you pick up the keycard, but thankfully you can just funnel them into that tiny room and take them out easily.

Well, just finished this myself on Hard. What a game. I'm a fan of story driven games and I think that this was possibly the greatest game I have ever played. I'm in awe with how ND made me actually feel for Joel and Ellie, any time throughout the game when I even thought their lives were threatened (I'm talking actual/story deaths and not gameplay death) I was almost too scared to go on!

Also regards the basement section. I had watched my friend play that part before I played the game myself. He was playing it on medium so I had a good idea of what I was in for, a few runners and clickers. However on Hard when I turned on the generator, ran towards the door and straight into the path of a Bloater I almost shit myself.

That whole section is the scariest part of the game. The sounds as the infected run around, the echoed clicks and screams. So unnerving

Easily. I had pulled like an 8 hour session by that point (I know, but that's a stretch for me nowadays), and getting somewhere pitch black yet again with that damn flashlight - the atmosphere finally started getting to me. Then the part after the rats run past you, when you see something run across the doorway above, but nothing comes after you...

Crap, I just completed my completionist playthrough and even though I had a guide, I only managed 35/37 conversations even though I'm positive I triggered them all. Apparently there's a known bug where some don't trigger, and you're supposed to keep an eye on the count as you go. I used chapter select to go to an earlier chapter to see if I would have a lesser number of conversations to match up to the number I should have at that point (to determine where the missing ones are), but that doesn't work since I have 35 no matter which chapter I load.

Are there certain conversations that have a higher tendency to not count? Does earning them via chapter select work? Or I am going to have to play through again?

Sen²

Crap, I just completed my completionist playthrough and even though I had a guide, I only managed 35/37 conversations even though I'm positive I triggered them all. Apparently there's a known bug where some don't trigger, and you're supposed to keep an eye on the count as you go. I used chapter select to go to an earlier chapter to see if I would have a lesser number of conversations to match up to the number I should have at that point (to determine where the missing ones are), but that doesn't work since I have 35 no matter which chapter I load.

Are there certain conversations that have a higher tendency to not count? Does earning them via chapter select work? Or I am going to have to play through again?

While I don't know whether it has been acknowledged officially I ran into the same problem. According to a guide I was supposed to "participate in the discussion about barbecue with Henry" right before the sniper section. I did find the appropriate location (destroyed kitchen at the end of the first street) but the game never allowed me to chime in even though I reloaded the chapter a couple of times. Too bad :/.

Also, on my fourth playthrough I couldn't talk to Ellie about her dream which I did do on all of the previous playthroughs.

sappyday

Man it's great being bilingual. I just found out the game had spanish audio and since I was about to start up my 4th playthrough I decided to go with it to make things fresh. Playing it in spanish gives it a whole other light to it.

Sen²;73710003 said:
While I don't know whether it has been acknowledged officially I ran into the same problem. According to a guide I was supposed to "participate in the discussion about barbecue with Henry" right before the sniper section. I did find the appropriate location (destroyed kitchen at the end of the first street) but the game never allowed me to chime in even though I reloaded the chapter a couple of times. Too bad :/.

Also, on my fourth playthrough I couldn't talk to Ellie about her dream which I did do on all of the previous playthroughs.

Well I should clarify, every single one of my conversations triggered, it just wasn't reflected in my count.

rataplein

Well I should clarify, every single one of my conversations triggered, it just wasn't reflected in my count.

i got almost the same issue, with 36/37, after triggering all of them.

the one that i "missed" was the on in the bathtub at the hotel in pittsburg. i remembering triggering it, but i think i die shortly after, and maybe the autosave fuck me over. or something like that.

Superflat

Go in blind.

Hard Mode
Turn off Listen Mode.
Have fun.

Yep. Very much agreed.

Hard mode is generally considered the best experience because it balances the scavenging much better (Normal mode gives you WAY more supplies than you need), and turn the Listen Mode off since the game is perfectly beatable without it. You'll be missing out on a lot of the tension when you keep using Listen Mode to scout out where everything is.

goddamn i do not want this game to end :(

got it a couple days ago and at 67%

loving the half life 2 vibes.. i think that was the last time i felt so immersed in a videogame world

beautiful stuff.. the kind of game that makes me care about gaming still

ZeroRay

Watching the Two Best Friends playthrough (on Normal), and I see them with 3 of every craftable item while being almost full on supplies. They just started
Fall
btw.

Hard is pretty much the "real" Normal. To the point where I'm leaning towards the idea the ND designed the campaign around that difficulty a la Halo's Heroic difficulty.

Ok thanks guys, I'm about a hour in. Peace out thread until I beat it. Also unsubbing to the thread just to resist the temptation of clicking it and spoiling the game for myself like I did with some past releases, lol.

IISANDERII

I have this game coming in the mail today finally. Any advice for starting out ? :D
For my first play through I tried it on Hard and listen mode off and hated it. Good thing is you can change the settings without having to restart, which I did. Had a much more enjoyable experience on Normal.

Angst

Just finished this and had a go at online. Holy fuck, I'm not doing that again.
Everybody is so much more powerful than me and besides the interesting concept they could have done something to accommodate new players :-(

Edit - Single player was amazing, so I definitely feel I got my money's worth out of it :)

Angst

Are you asking about who played David? If so, it was Nolan North.
Wow, the man of many voices for sure... But no, I meant that he looks a lot like:
8435208_ori.jpg

kaskade

I finally finished the game. God damn, easily one of my favorites of all time. Story and characters were amazing. I really enjoyed the gameplay as well. They did an amazing job of making every fight feel like life or death and that Joel wasn't holding back
especially at the end
. One of the most powerful moments for me had to be Ellie
beating David's head in with the machete. To see her basically lose it was crazy.

Quick

Banned
Just got past the sewers. That entire area was a story on its own. :(

Seeing "They didn't suffer" written on the floor of one of the rooms was depressing.

Finally caved in and bought, I'm about 3h40m and I'm in
Bill's town
(and the save data indicates me that I'm at 32% of the game, which worries me a little about the length of the game).

It's definitely the best survival-horror I've played until now. The game's so damn stressful, I've never felt that with a game before (damn clickers lol). Also the game's beautiful, but my PS3 has never been so loud though.
I also liked several aspects of the game that contribute to the whole "survival" concept : hitting an enemy with a pipe doesn't make you immune to attacks (as with most games, there's no invicibility frames), and that ennemies aren't complete idiots (I was quite surprised - and disoriented - when an enemy grabbed me from behind when I was shooting at another one D:). The dub is really good too.

The beginnng's a little slow though, also the whole (spoilers !)
thing with Ellie's being immune to the spores and taking her to doctors to create a vaccine was predictable to savvy gamers

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
GAF, I need your help. This probably was already asked but I grab the game today and ran into some glitches, character sprites are jumping into weird positions or not moving at all, it is really annoying.

Bebpo

Banned
The part in the game towards the end:

When Joel is injured and everything is just a little blurry and the camera is more like Gears of War or RE4 and shaking around.

The graphics look like next-gen stuff. I really hate admitting that. But when you add filters to make graphics look worse and shakier...it actually looks closer to real-life and impressive. ^^;

Finished the game yesterday and found the ending somewhat abrupt, even though the basic "quest" has come to an conclusion. Also I was rather shocked at how Joel turns out to be rather cruel and ice cold in the end, which I was not very happy with, but I accept it since it doesn't always have to end with fluffy clouds and rainbows.

Great game with some very tense and beautiful moments.

ArynCrinn

Banned
I just feel no empathy for these characters whatsoever, so the "character development and dialog" mean fuck all to me. I do think it's a solid TPS though with a decent presentation.

LuuKyK

Finally caved in and bought, I'm about 3h40m and I'm in
Bill's town
(and the save data indicates me that I'm at 32% of the game, which worries me a little about the length of the game).

It's definitely the best survival-horror I've played until now. The game's so damn stressful, I've never felt that with a game before (damn clickers lol). Also the game's beautiful, but my PS3 has never been so loud though.
I also liked several aspects of the game that contribute to the whole "survival" concept : hitting an enemy with a pipe doesn't make you immune to attacks (as with most games, there's no invicibility frames), and that ennemies aren't complete idiots (I was quite surprised - and disoriented - when an enemy grabbed me from behind when I was shooting at another one D:). The dub is really good too.

The beginnng's a little slow though, also the whole (spoilers !)
thing with Ellie's being immune to the spores and taking her to doctors to create a vaccine was predictable to savvy gamers

Dont worry about the length, I honestly think its perfect. Its definetely not short and it doesnt drag on either. Just keep playing.

And about the plot
, I dont think the game was made with the intention of wowing anyone with some incredible plot twist no one saw coming. Its more about caring about the characters and their conflicts throughout the games story. Thats, to me, the reason why they revelead much of the "surprising" things right at the beginning.

Enco

Game started off slowly but I kept going and HOLY SHIT!

I'm nearly at the end. Just
rescued Ellie from the town.
. This game is so tense and gripping. I love the brutality of it all. Had Ellie save me a couple times which was cool. I love the characters.

Easily one of (if not the) best singleplayer experiences.

Edit: one thing I would like is for the guns to hurt more. It should NOT take two shotgun blasts to kill someone. 1-2 bullets to down someone is what it should take. At the very least have them crawl around not get up and shoot at me

Superflat

Game started off slowly but I kept going and HOLY SHIT!

I'm nearly at the end. Just
rescued Ellie from the town.
. This game is so tense and gripping. I love the brutality of it all. Had Ellie save me a couple times which was cool. I love the characters.

Easily one of (if not the) best singleplayer experiences.

Edit: one thing I would like is for the guns to hurt more. It should NOT take two shotgun blasts to kill someone. 1-2 bullets to down someone is what it should take. At the very least have them crawl around not get up and shoot at me

Two good shots to the chest with a revolver kills most dudes, provided that they don't have armor on. The shotgun range is pretty bad unless you upgrade it--even then, you need to be pretty close.

But like you said I do want to see more enemies react to specific damage to parts of their body. Nothing too crazy, but for example, if I shoot a guy in the leg, they shouldn't be able to sprint around. If you shoot a guy anywhere in center mass, I feel like they should be noticeably slowed down and injured. Limp, crawl, or even shoot at me while laying down, should they be so determined. It would ground things even more that way.

Stoffinator

I think I just found a game bug. The icon for health and melee weapons are now black. Only the weapon icon and ammo count remain. So I have no idea what my health is or if I even have a melee weapon. Anybody else get this?

I tried restarting the game, but it just stayed the same.

Quick

Banned
Just finished up Tommy's settlement. I was honestly worried that the power plant was going to be filled with Infected or something, like the sewers. I'm pretty relieved. :lol

I stopped at the University of Eastern Colorado. I feel like the game's going to make up for the lack of Infected in Jackson County. My nerves.

My number one complaint with the game and Naughty Dog games in general. Seeing the very first enemies you fight shrug off a few bullets brought the entire game down a few notches from the get-go.

Grinchy

Banned
I think I just found a game bug. The icon for health and melee weapons are now black. Only the weapon icon and ammo count remain. So I have no idea what my health is or if I even have a melee weapon. Anybody else get this?

I tried restarting the game, but it just stayed the same.

You still play this stupid game? haha I miss playing with you guys. That sucks about the bug you're seeing, though. Maybe I'll get it too the next time I'm on.

Top Bottom