• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Melchiah

Slightly OT, but relevant: I want to watch a good post-apocalyptic movie now... What would you guys recommend? Already seen The Road, I am Legend, 28 days later, Children of Men... Something else out there?

Mad Max 2

EDIT: Dawn of the Dead (both versions) & Day of the Dead (the original by Romero).

Meier

Well shit, I was hoping I had at least another chapter left, especially when I saw Jackson down below. Kind of an abrupt ending. :( I understand leaving it open for a sequel but damn..

ksdixon

Finally found the time to sit and finish this tonight. Went all the way from just before you meet Sam and his brother to the end of the game.

I was so nervous that the Fireflies poking and prodding would have messed-up the immunity, especially when she was sat in the car looking at her wrist - which looked bubblier than any time before. And when we were hiking behind Joel in the forest. I was almost certain that a videoscene would cut-in where Ellie would turn - and then we would get a quick gameplay decision weather to kill Ellie or to let her kill us, sort of like a good ending/bad ending.

Thankfully that didn't happen.

Cels

I tried not shooting the doctor with the scalpel but the game wouldn't proceed until I hurt him. So I thought I would punch him and knock him out. I pressed square to punch him but instead I grabbed his scalpel and stabbed him in the neck with it. Oh man...

jediyoshi

I think he's talking about Tess surviving and trying to torture/kill Joel cause of what he is about to do to Ellie.

Nope, at their PAX panel they covered a bunch of new things. It all look recorded though so I'm guessing they'll release it properly eventually. They went over their

Original pitch
Other directions the story would've taken
Target animatic of the vehicle ambush scene
Prototype gameplay using Uncharted assets (buildings had way crazier scale)
Original doctor/ellie encounter cutscene
And Magic

Cloudy

Banned
When is the DLC supposed to be out? I'm thinking of taking advantage of the BB 100% extra trade-in credit and buying the game back when it gets cheaper

Quick

Banned
Nope, at their PAX panel they covered a bunch of new things. It all look recorded though so I'm guessing they'll release it properly eventually. They went over their

Original pitch
And Magic

Are you talking about a mystical element to the game, or something else?

Original pitch
And Magic

Oh, could you share some more specific info on this? Really interesting...

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Started on Survivor, already made decent progress. It's true: combat isn't especially harder, but resources are really scarce. I've had one encounter where I literally had nothing left. Luckily Ellie throws you a bone sometimes. Starting chapter 9, some porentially tough moments left.

Do you have to get all of Ellie's jokes in one run? For some reason the second event (in the bookstore post battle) just wouldn't trigger, had to continue on. Same question for the shiv doors...

Cyborg

I just finished Last of Us, what an amazing game! I have a Hidden Trophy? Whats that for? I dont see what ive missed.
And whats about the end? Are the more than one ending?

David was Nolan North?! Dude has range.

Just finished. Great game. Emotionally draining.

Edit: Is there any footage from PAX where they played the performance capture with the actors goofing off?

Sanctuary

So, I'm sitting here watching World War Z, and I think "Man, this is just like the beginning of Dead Rising and The Last of Us". And then one of the infected starts making Clicker noises; which I've never really heard until this game...

rafaelr

Do you have to get all of Ellie's jokes in one run? For some reason the second event (in the bookstore post battle) just wouldn't trigger, had to continue on. Same question for the shiv doors...

no you can spread it out over several runs or even do it by chapter select (needed to do that for some of the firefly pendants).

i had trouble with the bookstore jokes as well, what helped me was making a save after the combat and reloading that. and waiting at the makeshift campfire with the couches.

entremet

Finally started clicking for me. Pun intended!

What a slow starter, tho. Much opposite of Uncharted 2, which starts with a bang.

aly

So I was replaying today and ( Summer Spoilers I think)
Did not know you could fail the sniping section. I was so surprised when Ellie and the others got set on fire.

It'd be great if someone could tell me how long I have to go:

We just regrouped with the father and son on the beach after nearly drowning.

ZeroRay

You're a little more than half way through.

The percantage counter in the game is biased towards the beginning of the game because of the greater amount of chapters and subchapters within them, even though the time spent during the later (but fewer in number) chapters is more.

LiK

David was Nolan North?! Dude has range.

Just finished. Great game. Emotionally draining.

Edit: Is there any footage from PAX where they played the performance capture with the actors goofing off?

Loved that David was the one who was talking about killing people to survive etc etc. A reference to the Uncharted criticisms, imo.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Loved that David was the one who was talking about killing people to survive etc etc. A reference to the Uncharted criticisms, imo.

Yeah I saw that as a very clear reference to Uncharted while playing, but I didn't realize David was done by Nolan North. Great job by him.

I watched the Area 5 doc last night. Loved to see the passion Baker and Johnson had for their role. Baker in particular seemed really into it and clearly took this role very seriously. It's impressive how he can pull off an older guy like Joel so well.

Finished Survivor last night and I don't think I'll go for the NG+ right now. If you're not cheating, 3 runs is a bit too much for all sp trophies.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
just beat the game. holy shit.

one of the best videogames ever, and easily the best videogame story ever. so easily.

resident evil 4, metal gear solid 4, the last of us. best fucking videogames ever.

yknow that movie the artist? i didnt really enjoy the movie until the last line. then i kinda loved it. it all clicked.

well, the last of us was a very solid, and engaging experience the whole way...
but that fucking 8 seconds in the surgery room is what made it all click.

Survivor wasn't that hard as I thought it would be. Managed to beat in 14 hours. I would think that the enemies would have more health but as long as you make those headshots the game is a breeze even with a handgun. For anyone going into it here's some advice:

1. Always make
Molotovs instead of health kits
when in doubt. At least have one health kit. Use them in situations where there are alot of enemies and if you have a
brick or bottle
use it. It can bring in alot of them and your
Molotovs
can save you in many situations. Also use them on
bloaters
to cut down their health significantly. Such cases were when
getting a generator online and there were a bunch of infected, early in the game when you were in a meuseum fighting infected, and when you had to climb down a university dorm to activate power on the other side.

2. As I mentioned above about using
bricks and etc
use them if there are some laying around. One hit to an enemy and use your melee to do an instant kill.

3. In terms of skill upgrades the only one that I would recommend maxing out first would be the
weapon sway.
If you are a good aimer you don't need the
health upgrade
unless you max out your weapon sway then use that upgrade. Damage from the enemies is alot to the point where the upgrades don't really benefit. (At least that's how I felt.) But if you are not that good of an aimer, I would use
health upgrades
or improve your aiming.

4. If you don't plan on using
shivs to use against the clickers
(which I strongly recommend you don't) use them to
open locked doors
instead. This is where you actually get most of the loot in the game.

5. In some sections you can skip all the enemies without using any ammo. Use this tactic often to reserve ammo.
Specific cases I remember were in the beginning you had to get a ladder down in a subway station, where you were in a garden full of clickers. On a related note, smoke bombs are very useful to skip sections. I used them especially when during the hospital level where you had to deal with a bunch of soldiers right before going to one of the labs to get Ellie.

There is a section where I recommend you not to skip any enemy but actually take them all down. This happens when you are trying to
reach an elevator but to access it you need to pry it open.
If you left any enemies unharmed, they will run at you.

6. I personally used most of my scrap for
ammo capacity upgrades
to keep more ammo. Also upgrade
fire rate
as well if you can. Also scrap locations are the same when playing survivor so don't worry about a scarce amount of them.

7. Ellie sometimes gives you ammo so if you feel you have no ammo just wait a while. But also make sure not to wait too long or the enemy will spot you while they're scouting.

8. It is nearly impossible to silently take down a scouting infected. They will know you're there even if they're looking forward and you think you'll get an upper hand. I learnt this the hard way when during the section where
you were jumping down in the building when it was raining alot.

Just started this game, and I am a little disappointed, only because the trailers do not depict the games actual story. I kind of thought it was something like "the road" in where we are just kind of plunked into a place and the story revolves around surviving. Maybe I am just a little too early in the game but, I have this feeling with all the run and gunning so far and not to mention the bad assery of the main cast.

Vashetti

Banned
Just started this game, and I am a little disappointed, only because the trailers do not depict the games actual story. I kind of thought it was something like "the road" in where we are just kind of plunked into a place and the story revolves around surviving. Maybe I am just a little too early in the game but, I have this feeling with all the run and gunning so far and not to mention the bad assery of the main cast.

Everybody complains about the first half, then comes back to GAF after getting into the second half and apologises profusely.

Melchiah

Everybody complains about the first half, then comes back to GAF after getting into the second half and apologises profusely.

Yeah, the section after the intro wasn't really one of the highlights of the game, especially getting back the guns part, but it was pretty quickly back on the right track again.

phew. took me (and my gf watching) close to 27 hours to finish the game on hard. i advanced slooooowly, enjoyed the sights, explored every nook and cranny, died like well over a hundred times.. :D

but man it was fun, game was fantastic. one of the most well-designed games i've had the joy to play in years (just when i was getting kinda burnt out on games). great job ND. almost everything was stellar, the music, the visuals (the animators especially deserve a raise), the stealth gameplay (i NEVER want to have sticky cover in a game again), how weapons felt, the whole journey.. fucking giraffes man, and monkeys. so many cool little surprises and just TONS and TONS of details that made me go wow. i'd have to give the game a 10/10, it just felt like a game designed exactly to my tastes.

i'm not a huge fan of the characters though, Ellie was kind of annoying at times (i'm really, really allergic to "witty banter").. but that might be just me though, since i always find kid characters to be annoying, almost by default. Joel was ok i guess, but not a favorite of mine. ohh i did like David a lot though, genuinely a creepy fucker. great voice acting by Nolan North, props to him. there's something about how ND writes characters that usually just doesn't click with me, especially with the Uncharted series.. this was a step up from that though.

anyway, more please. single player DLC and fast! and The Last Of Us 2 on PS4 within 2 years please. please.

i guess i should try the multiplayer now? any gaffers playing later today?

TheDanger

Banned
It is. Make sure to pick up the Uncharted Trilogy as well.

Also congratulations!

I did, UC: 2 was excellent, the first one was good. I just started UC:3, but then I got The Last Of Us. I'm halfway through it and fucking love it, I think it's worth buying a PS3 so far. I can''t remember a game that felt as real as this.

Borrowed this from a friend of mine and just finished it after about a week of off and on play. I only did about 30 min sittings at first and enjoyed what I played but then stopped but today I finished the last 2/3 of the game. I just couldn't put it down. The
end of summer cinematic and that music when the screen goes black and then all you see is "Fall" in the bottom right is just so jarring. Really good shit.

Was kind of disappointed in the ending and I was really kind of upset with
Joel's choice. Seemed kind of selfish but I can understand it.

All in all, best game I have played in a long time.

I think the PS blog didn't mean to post these as full resolution, non watermarked, considering they are selling for $200 bucks...but they did. Enjoy.

9721578700_60b6302a58_o.png

9721578376_4b093871d9_o.png

9721579260_74b0ab6649_o.png

Noahd41

Neo Member
Holy shit. I just beat this today. I had got about four or five hours in by playing an hour or so each sitting over the last month. Decided to power through the rest of it today. Totalled about13 hours overall and I beat it on Normal difficulty. Having just played Deus Ex: HR before this, I wish playing stealth was a bit more practical but I found the balance between survival/exploration/combat/narration pretty fun. The only part I got frustrated with and died 5+ times in a row was the tunnel in
Salt Lake City with the two bloaters.
Crafting was great, combat was pretty good and there was a lot of variety. This game was a serious roller coaster ride, I'm very impressed with where it took you as a player and how. Bar none for that part of the experience.

Melchiah

I think the PS blog didn't mean to post these as full resolution, non watermarked, considering they are selling for $200 bucks...but they did. Enjoy.

Thanks for sharing. =)

Holy shit. I just beat this today. I had got about four or five hours in by playing an hour or so each sitting over the last month. Decided to power through the rest of it today. Totalled about13 hours overall and I beat it on Normal difficulty. Having just played Deus Ex: HR before this, I wish playing stealth was a bit more practical but I found the balance between survival/exploration/combat/narration pretty fun. The only part I got frustrated with and died 5+ times in a row was the tunnel in
Salt Lake City with the two bloaters.
Crafting was great, combat was pretty good and there was a lot of variety. This game was a serious roller coaster ride, I'm very impressed with where it took you as a player and how. Bar none for that part of the experience.

The playthrough took me 19 hours on normal difficulty, and I found that particular part pretty easy, as I had gathered the maximum amount of supplies by that point. Molotov cocktail/nail bomb + El Diablo/military sniper + flamethrower combo made it almost too easy. The only part I had problems with was
the escape through the snow with Ellie.
You must have stormed the game through, and missed some of the supplies, if it took only 13 hours for you.

Noahd41

Neo Member
The playthrough took me 19 hours on normal difficulty, and I found that particular part pretty easy, as I had gathered the maximum amount of supplies by that point. Molotov cocktail/nail bomb + El Diablo/military sniper + flamethrower combo made it almost too easy. The only part I had problems with was
the escape through the snow with Ellie.
You must have stormed the game through, and missed some of the supplies, if it took only 13 hours for you.

Wow. That is a good length. I attempted to save as many supplies as possible, but I used most of them in the first engagement of that sequence. I only had something like two shots on the shorty, a health pack, some rifle/shotgun ammo and a brick. That turned into my strategy as well. I snuck by the first batch, down the right side to get those supplies. Stealth killed what I could then went flamethrower and molotovs. I got down to one bloater twice before he would just storm me and rip my face off. I really liked the
snow part with David
but I only died twice in that room because I was forced to craft a bunch of stuff with Ellie before I could engage the enemies properly. I may have rushed through near the end,
particularly the hospital,
but I didn't feel like I missed too much. I am a pretty big scavenger in these kinds of games. I would often just sprint to every corner while characters were talking within ear shot. Very interesting experience overall. I'm not necessarily sure the game was extremely fun, but man was it a ruthless adventure.

Shark Gun

Neo Member
Just finished it. Unbelievable, thank you Naughty Dog. I was sceptical when I saw all the perfect scores out there and my expectations grew but I wasn't disappointed in the end. It's not a perfect game but it comes pretty damn close.

The story telling and the atmosphere throughout are outstanding. I felt for Joel and his decision at the end, he just couldn't bare to loose two daughters. It was extremely egoistic and Ellie probably wouldn't have wanted it this way but he couldn't bring it over his heart to let her die.

I didn't think that any other game this year would beat Bioshock Infinite but The Last of Us blows it out of the water, it may very well be THE game of the generation. I really hope Naughty Dog will be continue trying to push boundaries in videogame storytelling and not just make Uncharted 14 in the years to come.

Melchiah

Wow. That is a good length. I attempted to save as many supplies as possible, but I used most of them in the first engagement of that sequence. I only had something like two shots on the shorty, a health pack, some rifle/shotgun ammo and a brick. That turned into my strategy as well. I snuck by the first batch, down the right side to get those supplies. Stealth killed what I could then went flamethrower and molotovs. I got down to one bloater twice before he would just storm me and rip my face off. I really liked the
snow part with David
but I only died twice in that room because I was forced to craft a bunch of stuff with Ellie before I could engage the enemies properly. I may have rushed through near the end,
particularly the hospital,
but I didn't feel like I missed too much. I am a pretty big scavenger in these kinds of games. I would often just sprint to every corner while characters were talking within ear shot. Very interesting experience overall. I'm not necessarily sure the game was extremely fun, but man was it a ruthless adventure.

I searched every nook and corner I could, and took my time to view the surroundings. ;) A friend of mine cleared the game in 17-18 hours, which is why I considered 13 hours a short time for a playthrough.

I climbed on the van, and threw molotovs & nail bombs from there, followed by few shots with El Diablo & sniper rifle, and handled the rest with the flamethrower. I was surprised one of those Bloaters actually climbed on top of the van.

The part against
David the cannibal
wasn't that hard, as the
run in the outside preceding it
. It took me several times to get past it, as there wasn't much room for error.

I wish I had managed to hear more of Ellie's jokes. I watched them later on YouTube, but the feeling isn't the same as experiencing them during the game. Some of the conversations were really easy to miss, when you concentrated on inspecting the grounds.

CREMSteve

I just watched Grounded, the Making of TLoU.

Great documentary, I highly recommend it for fans who have beaten the game.

DO NOT WATCH BEFORE COMPLETING THE GAME, it has spoilers out the wazoo.

Flek

Banned
I just watched Grounded, the Making of TLoU.

Great documentary, I highly recommend it for fans who have beaten the game.

DO NOT WATCH BEFORE COMPLETING THE GAME, it has spoilers out the wazoo.

what? where do i get it is it up on psn? they said you should get it when buying the season pass :!?!?!?

Top Bottom