• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Izcarielo

Banned
Im experiencing level loading problems in "Go Big Horns".
Everything starts normally but then when im about to arrive at the Science Lab half the scenery is empty and the only thing i see is white everywhere.
Do any of you know how to solve this bug? Its pissing me off because i know im near the end of the game and i dont want to have to watch the rest of the game in Youtube because of this :/

ascii42

Im experiencing level loading problems in "Go Big Horns".
Everything starts normally but then when im about to arrive at the Science Lab half the scenery is empty and the only thing i see is white everywhere.
Do any of you know how to solve this bug? Its pissing me off because i know im near the end of the game and i dont want to have to watch the rest of the game in Youtube because of this :/

I never encountered anything like that, sorry. By the way, you've actually still got about a third of the game left.

NeoGiff

New to GAF, but I've finished TLOU five times since it was released; on Normal, Normal+, Hard, Survivor, and Survivor+. Everything I've wanted to say about the game while waiting for approval has already been said by countless people. You have sang your praises, and my sentiments echo with yours.

For now, suffice it to say that this is the first game since RE4 that I have genuinely felt a strong urge to replay and re-experience immediately upon initial completion.

Also, one weird occurrence during my first playthrough was that I breezed through
David's fight
. Every time since then I have been hit or died at least once, but the first time I was uber-stealthy, and everything flowed so well. Strange.

hohoXD123

Finished the game on Hard a while ago, was thinking of going for the platinum. For anyone who has achieved it, how difficult is it to get? Roughly how many hours did it take you?

absolutely loving the MP for this game

only one thing bugs me when they drop you into a game in progress you shouldn't be expected to get the same amount of supplies

homez99

Finally got this game the other week and completed it on Normal last night (I don't have time to be as hardcore as some of you guys in here). It was a truly incredible experience that left me physically and emotionally drained for a little while afterwards.

I keep getting flashbacks to some of the stuff that happened and I keep going back and forth over how I feel about the ending. Overall, I think that it's probably one of my favourite games of all time (sure it does have some faults here and there but the quality, pacing and story throughout are top notch). I can't wait to see what Naughty Dog has got cooking for the PS4 now.

btkadams

I finished this last night. Holy fuck.

I have always found that new IPs release with flaws that may or not be fixable by a sequel (Uncharted->Uncharted 2, for example). The Last of Us is, to me, absolutely perfect. I can't think of anything bad to say about it. For that reason, I almost hope that there isn't a sequel. I'd rather see a new IP from them that is done with this much care.

BadTaste

I just beat it a minute ago, I loved every moment of it, I'd like to see a sequel but I don't know where they'd go with it.

Joel and Ellie are both really awesome, I feel attached to them, love em both.

ND did an amazing job with the cutscenes, emotions in the characters looked so real.

I'm sad it ended with Heisenberg lying though, awell.

Deimo5

Began my survivor playthrough recently, I was wondering about the upside down infinite ammo part in Bill's Town.
They give you a ton of revolver bullets shortly before you get there, like 14-16 or something. More ammo in 5 minutes than the previous 5 hours or so.
I definitely had a full 18 before entering, then afterwards I was down to 13.
Is that some kind of set decrease because I hadnt taken notice of it before when I played on normal where ammo wasn't so scarce.
Definitely took more than 5 shots at that point.

absolutely loving the MP for this game

only one thing bugs me when they drop you into a game in progress you shouldn't be expected to get the same amount of supplies

That's when you dashboard out; unless you have already completed the two journeys and/or don't care about the survivor metagame. I allowed myself to get dropped into a match that had one more round left. It was on the last day of -100% Firefly Attack and I couldn't advance past -60% because of it. Completely derailed my initial Hunter playthrough. Dashboard. Out.

explodet

So apparently this is a thing tonight, gonna go check it out.
2013keynoteblank-1.png

In writing The Last of Us Naughty Dog set out to raise the bar of character-driven videogame narratives. Neil Druckmann, Creative Director and Writer of The Last of Us, will deconstruct several iterations of the story, explaining why the narrative needed to constantly evolve over the course of production.

explodet

Okay, wow.
Neil Druckmann gave a VERY good keynote on the story development of The Last of Us.
I made notes, here are a few of them.

HERE THERE BE SPOILERS.

- The theme was "Write Honestly". The story process underwent a whole lot of changes, and Druckmann often noted how many times he had to let go of aspects of the story that he wanted to keep in the game, but which were removed for various reasons.

- He and his team initially started on a Jak and Daxter reboot in 2009. But after a few concept art pieces and tossing around some ideas, they felt that it wasn't a story they wanted to revisit, especially since the story and environments just weren't right for a Jak game.

- One of the slides was concept art of Daxter as an almost realistic ottsel. A lot of you would have hated it, trust me.

- A pre-alpha version of the game had a working title of "Mankind". In it, the cordyceps only affected women. This eventually was abandoned because there was simply no getting past the misogynistic aspects. Turning women into monsters and shooting them in the face? Too much.

- He talked about the different endings, and why they were eventually changed - what didn't work with each one. You've all seen the alternate ending concept art with Tess torturing Joel? He goes over that again. I'll probably make that a separate post.

- The scene with the doctors at the end was originally a cinematic. It was designed, shot and in the can, but one programmer at ND insisted that it should be gameplay instead, and near the end of development of the game they decided to switch, and it made for a better experience.

- Mr. Druckmann gave his own interpretation of the ending. Ellie's pause at the end? She's come to realize that she can't fully trust Joel anymore. Ellie's gone through the game becoming a very capable person able to handle her own (Winter), and her character arc has completed knowing that she needs to be able to make her own decisions, something that Joel had taken from her.

- Apparently Sony execs gave Naughty Dog absolutely no creative notes regarding the story of TLoS. That's how much slack they cut these guys, which is definitely deserved.

I've got more notes, but I've gotta wake up early tomorrow so I'm gonna leave it here.

Deimo5

Druckmann previously said he wasn't going to tell people what his interpretation of the ending was, but that he was in the minority I think, so that is interesting.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
- Mr. Druckmann gave his own interpretation of the ending. Ellie's pause at the end? She's come to realize that she can't fully trust Joel anymore. Ellie's gone through the game becoming a very capable person able to handle her own (Winter), and her character arc has completed knowing that she needs to be able to make her own decisions, something that Joel had taken from her.

Ooh this is great. I can't think of an ending that has grown on me like TLOU. I went from 'that's an ending?' to 'best ending ever' in a matter of days. This only adds more depth to it. How one single exchange can have so many different interpretations, is pretty impressive. This is also a strong indication that TLOU 2 will feature a more independent Ellie with Joel as a less prominent character. I'm guessing sequel = Ellie solo a couple of years post TLOU 1

thanks for the post Explodet

Melchiah

- Apparently Sony execs gave Naughty Dog absolutely no creative notes regarding the story of TLoS. That's how much slack they cut these guys, which is definitely deserved.

Interesting how I intrepreted it differently. I took the short silence as a sign of acceptance. She had wanted someone to care for her, and Joel had shown by his actions that he's willing to go to any lengths for her. She was willing to look past the lie because she didn't want to end up alone. I'm not really sure if I had even wanted to hear his interpretation of it, as it kinda affects my own.

Great to hear Sony gave them, and from what I've read others as well, free hands to create a game according to their own vision. It's commendable, that in the world run by money and quick profits, there are still large companies that support artistic freedom. Although, Naughty Dog probably gets more freedom than most due to their merits.

RPGCrazied

Okay, wow.
Neil Druckmann gave a VERY good keynote on the story development of The Last of Us.
I made notes, here are a few of them.

HERE THERE BE SPOILERS.

- The theme was "Write Honestly". The story process underwent a whole lot of changes, and Druckmann often noted how many times he had to let go of aspects of the story that he wanted to keep in the game, but which were removed for various reasons.

- He and his team initially started on a Jak and Daxter reboot in 2009. But after a few concept art pieces and tossing around some ideas, they felt that it wasn't a story they wanted to revisit, especially since the story and environments just weren't right for a Jak game.

- One of the slides was concept art of Daxter as an almost realistic ottsel. A lot of you would have hated it, trust me.

- A pre-alpha version of the game had a working title of "Mankind". In it, the cordyceps only affected women. This eventually was abandoned because there was simply no getting past the misogynistic aspects. Turning women into monsters and shooting them in the face? Too much.

- He talked about the different endings, and why they were eventually changed - what didn't work with each one. You've all seen the alternate ending concept art with Tess torturing Joel? He goes over that again. I'll probably make that a separate post.

- The scene with the doctors at the end was originally a cinematic. It was designed, shot and in the can, but one programmer at ND insisted that it should be gameplay instead, and near the end of development of the game they decided to switch, and it made for a better experience.

I've got more notes, but I've gotta wake up early tomorrow so I'm gonna leave it here.

Any talk about the single player DLC?

explodet

He said that it is coming, but it's not in a state ready to be announced just yet.
He was pretty tight-lipped about it, can't say I blame him.

It looks like they're taking a similar tack with the DLC as with the main game. They had to push the release of the main game up (one of the first times they did) to release it in a state that everybody would be happy with.

Also, it's a difficult setting to work with, it's so bleak and depressing, that might be a factor.

Personally, I think that stack of PS4 Dev kits might have something to do with it too.

explodet

Druckmann explains the original pitch in the first post of this thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=645363
What that post leaves out is the original plot climax and some details leading up to that.

Joel and Ellie are in a truck, and Ellie wakes up. He tells Ellie that it's too late for a cure, and they're going to move on. Then the truck is rammed by one of Tess' men, and Joel and Ellie take refuge in a nearby mansion. Joel tells Ellie to escape the mansion and steal one of the gang's cars and he'll catch up with her in the next town. She does so, and Joel is stuck fighting off the gang. He eventually fails, which leads to the torture scene depicted in the picture.

Tess decides to torture Joel in order to find out where Ellie is, she intends to kill her as payback for Tess' brother dying. After Tess figures out Joel won't break, she moves to shoot him in the head. A shot fires, cut to black.

Ellie is driving towards the town in her stolen car, but stops. She figures out that Joel won't be coming, that he's going to die in that mansion if she doesn't help him. After driving back the player takes control of her again, in order to rescue him. After some gameplay, the cutscene goes back to Tess about to kill Joel, but now you see that Ellie was the one who fired, killing Tess. And then they have their happy ending in San Francisco, with Ellie fully buying into the lie.

They had to kill that ending because the motivations for all the characters didn't work, and required changes to almost all the principle characters. Tess no longer had a brother who died, Tess was bitten instead of Marlene as originally envisioned, and the climax of the game would take place at the hospital instead of a mansion.

The second time around they still kept the happy San Francisco ending, but again, they dropped that because it didn't feel right, the character arc of Ellie felt incomplete to Neil. So it became the ending that everybody's seen by now. It didn't focus test 100%, but the responses they got felt like the right kind of responses.

Druckmann's little secret is that he intended for Ellie to be the strongest character in the game, stronger even than Joel. From being surrounded by parental figures to growing into an individual that is more than capable of handling herself, that was her character arc. In the end, Joel needed Ellie more than she needed him.

He wanted a character, a role model, that was unlike any female character currently in the industry (which is a whole bunch of other threads that we can talk about some other time). His final slide of the lecture was a bunch of photos of Ellie cosplay, which gives him hope that he has succeeded.

This is mostly from memory, apologies to Mr. Druckmann if I left out anything or remembered it wrong. :)

Some random tidbits:

Ellie was going to get a dog around the middle of the game, but they couldn't make it work gameplay-wise so they had to drop it.

Joel was initially written to be more closed and brooding, but Troy Baker's performance brought an intensity to the character that they worked into the game. Ellie was written as much more passive during the initial hunter attack after the crash in Pittsburg. Ashley Johnson noted that it wasn't in her character to just do nothing while these guys attacked Joel, and the stuntman was totally cool with Ashley hitting him and struggling on the next take.

Nolan North wasn't cast as David right away. The character's proto-form was "the Cannibal King" as he was the leader of the band of cannibals, and was one of the few characters that was able to have motivations beyond simple survival - taking actions for pleasure instead of necessity. North wasn't part of the principal cast yet and wanted to be involved, even if it was just a bit part. They obviously gave him a meatier character.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Thanks for the write-up.

The revised story we got is so much better than this. Good on them for changing it and making it work. And yes, they've succeeded with Ellie as a great example of a female character. Way to go ND. <3

I think they're taking their time with the singleplayer DLC, and I prefer that way, but I understand that the Season Pass buyers are anxious for content. If the singleplayer DLC is decent and they add a horde mode or similar, I would bite ;b.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just finished it last night. What a game. Quite often I'd just walk slowly through the worlds to soak up the atmosphere. Couple of highlights for me (but there were lots)

- Horse riding.
- University where you have to sneak past tons of clickers. So damn tense.
- Winter. Just generally. The lead up to that season but also just how it felt *cold*. the powdered snow, wind, and the harshness of the sunlight. Just beautiful
- Giraffe.

Please bring a HD version to PS4 Sony

Number45

Man, I wish I enjoyed the gameplay of this more - I would have 100% zero hesitation in naming it my game of the generation. This isn't a sleight on the game, it's just the stealth gameplay isn't really for me. I switched it down to easy about half way through, and enjoyed it a lot more after that.

Was planning on trading it in against PSN vouchers so I can take advantage of the current subscription deal, but NG+ has tempted me to hang onto it. Maybe I'll just backup the save and wait for it to be discounted heavily, or come to the IGC.

Admittedly the competition isn't stiff, but this has been my favourite game story by a considerable distance.

Just finished it last night. What a game. Quite often I'd just walk slowly through the worlds to soak up the atmosphere. Couple of highlights for me (but there were lots)

- Horse riding.
- University where you have to sneak past tons of clickers. So damn tense.
- Winter. Just generally. The lead up to that season but also just how it felt *cold*. the powdered snow, wind, and the harshness of the sunlight. Just beautiful
- Giraffe.

Please bring a HD version to PS4 Sony
Agree with this for the most part. The bits of this game I'll remember most are those where there was not much happening. <3

Number45

Just watching some of the development videos on YT. Joel might just be the most visually appealing video game character I've ever seen.

Listening to Druckmann's talk makes me feel like he's almost implying that TLoU2 will happen, where TLoU was the origin story to propel Ellie into becoming that female protagonist.

Downhome

Did anyone else get stuck at this part?

http://youtu.be/aUZ3MKvUjx8?t=1h37m26s

Am I a moron for allowing this early part in the game to essentially lead me to putting this one back on the shelf until now? There is no telling how many times I tried it before giving up. I've cooled off enough since I last tried it that I'm going back in. I must have not understood the game at the time, so hopefully I have a better understanding of it now.

Vashetti

Banned

Am I a moron for allowing this early part in the game to essentially lead me to putting this one back on the shelf until now? There is no telling how many times I tried it before giving up. I've cooled off enough since I last tried it that I'm going back in. I must have not understood the game at the time, so hopefully I have a better understanding of it now.

Really?

What are you finding so difficult?

You can sneak past them completely if you want.

Quick

Banned
Really?

What are you finding so difficult?

You can sneak past them completely if you want.

To be fair, I also got pretty frustrated at that part, and gave myself a break for a day from the game.

And I don't think you're supposed to sneak past all of them. You're supposed to take them all out, so Tess and Ellie can get down there.

The infected walking into the room to begin with is pretty easy, it gets tricky when you're trying to sneak behind the other infected at the other side of the wall on his own, because I found that one pretty jittery.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Ugh, that encounter. One of the hardest in the game, especially on survivor.

ascii42

To be fair, I also got pretty frustrated at that part, and gave myself a break for a day from the game.

And I don't think you're supposed to sneak past all of them. You're supposed to take them all out, so Tess and Ellie can get down there.

The infected walking into the room to begin with is pretty easy, it gets tricky when you're trying to sneak behind the other infected at the other side of the wall on his own, because I found that one pretty jittery.

Yeah, there were a couple I just decided to shoot instead of try to stealth kill.

Vashetti

Banned
Oh, I take back my post, when I clicked the link it took me to a completely different part of the video.

Yeah that part is really hard, punishingly on Survivor.

Oh, I take back my post, when I clicked the link it took me to a completely different part of the video.

Yeah that part is really hard, punishingly on Survivor.

If anyone is having trouble on that part even though the video is claimed to be incorrect, this is what I did:

If can remember, You can't stealth takedown the infected that patrols so use a bottle and throw it at him and take him down with melee or a weapon. I assume you already stealh takedown the other infected that's standing there in the area. You now only have 3 left to go; another infected, an armored infected, and a clicker. I suggest eliminating the last infected where it patrols the area below where you are supposed to go next. IIRC there is some ammo left by a dead soldier when you head up to the next level and you can use that you take down both the armored infected and clicker. Also I think you can use the fact that it takes a few seconds for them to get up to the second level so you can use melee on that.

I came off the ending of the game feeling the same way: kind of unsatisfied with the whole thing. However I think a big part of that was the fact that the ending of the game is not designed to make you feel good: Joel is a selfish prick who sacrifices the human race for his own emotional satisfaction, and then he lies to the one person in the world that he truly loves. And to top it all off, Ellie pretty much knows that he's lying right to her face, and she's OK with it. That whole situation is just uncomfortable and unpleasant, but that's the reality of their world.
That whole scenario/finale resonated very differently with me. As a father, I understood Joel's motivations entirely, and reflexively agreed with them. Let me put it this way, if they came to my door tomorrow and told me they could cure Cancer - all cancers - and no one would ever have to die of cancer again but they have to kill my daughter to get the cure, my response would be exactly what Joel's is. It's a meat level thing, a bone-knowledge that some things are not worth the sacrifice they require. Joel realizes that killing this girl - now his little girl - to "save" the human race would mean the race isn't worth saving. As to the lying to her face, we swallow shit to spare our kids the guilt, the questions, the weight... We do this, and we live with it, because they aren't ready yet...

Number45

That whole scenario/finale resonated very differently with me. As a father, I understood Joel's motivations entirely, and reflexively agreed with them. Let me put it this way, if they came to my door tomorrow and told me they could cure Cancer - all cancers - and no one would ever have to die of cancer again but they have to kill my daughter to get the cure, my response would be exactly what Joel's is. It's a meat level thing, a bone-knowledge that some things are not worth the sacrifice they require. Joel realizes that killing this girl - now his little girl - to "save" the human race would mean the race isn't worth saving. As to the lying to her face, we swallow shit to spare our kids the guilt, the questions, the weight... We do this, and we live with it, because they aren't ready yet...
Superbly put. And with the post you're responding to, demonstrates nicely how different people can interpret things based on their own personal experience. :)

Chuffed to hear this is getting single player DLC as well. I've traded the game, but will pick it up again digitally down the line.

Andrew.

Banned
If I was gonna have one small complaint, it would be when you're at a critical low health level for any more than a minute, 90% of the time you'll be given a bonus health kit out of nowhere.

Really wish this was something you could shut off in the options menu. Ive rocked through this experience at least 20 times already and I need all the challenge I can get at this point.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
If I was gonna have one small complaint, it would be when you're at a critical low health level for any more than a minute, 90% of the time you'll be given a bonus health kit out of nowhere.

Really wish this was something you could shut off in the options menu. Ive rocked through this experience at least 20 times already and I need all the challenge I can get at this point.

The combat in this game is so good... it needs a horde mode. For people like us that have played the SP to death.

Come on game... test me.

Andrew.

Banned
The combat in this game is so good... it needs a horde mode. For people like us that have played the SP to death.

Come on game... test me.

I started replaying it again over this past weekend. Even on my umteenth run, Im still floored, still having tense moments and Im STILL having fun.

That sound production. Never have I experienced a game where the crack of a gunshot can make me jump. These PULSE headsets man...

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Lately, even though I'm playing on survivor (again), I purposefully let shit hit the fan... just to see what happens. Every encounter is tense. Even after the millionth time.

Top Bottom