• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

NeoGiff

Lately, even though I'm playing on survivor (again), I purposefully let shit hit the fan... just to see what happens. Every encounter is tense. Even after the millionth time.

This. Most encounters feel like scripted events, which is amazing when you think about it. The way encounters play out, for the most part, is so perfect and unpredictable.

Vashetti

Banned
Quick question: I'm on my second Survivor playthrough and the only SP Trophy I have left is to upgrade all the weapons.

If I'm in-game and I tone down my difficulty, will I still get the trophy for finishing off the upgrades?

I'm just saved in the high school at the moment after Bill's Town and I'm almost out of ammo. It seems nearly impossible on Survivor.

Andrew.

Banned
Approaching Winter. Even though Ive played this scene dozens of times, Im always uncomfortable during this entire season. It's that whole near lack of supplies + Ellie is still so innocent and vulnerable thing going on.

And then of course David in the giant fancy Golden Corrall dining room. It still freaks me the fuck out.

God fucking damn it. I'm so pissed right now. I'm at a point where I just cannot figure out how to approach - sneaking past the guards onto the bridge at night.

The guy I'm with says sneaking is the plan. Everything I do triggers shit hitting the fan. Even when I quietly take out the first couple guys I get magically "spotted" because a piece of my hair sticks out above a wall or something.

I just can't stand trail and error gameplay if my intended path isn't clear.

rafaelr

God fucking damn it. I'm so pissed right now. I'm at a point where I just cannot figure out how to approach - sneaking past the guards onto the bridge at night.

The guy I'm with says sneaking is the plan. Everything I do triggers shit hitting the fan. Even when I quietly take out the first couple guys I get magically "spotted" because a piece of my hair sticks out above a wall or something.

i think that´s intended. this is one of the areas you have to completely clear of enemies and alerting them brings in reinforcements which kind of sets up what follows in the next few scenes.

Satchel

Banned
4B8BB0D8-8109-4B1B-8722-1B6996201E9D-2571-000001FE3A03A8BB_zps35efa88c.jpg

Wish me luck

i think that´s intended. this is one of the areas you have to completely clear of enemies and alerting them brings in reinforcements which kind of sets up what follows in the next few scenes.
So it turns out the missing link was the fact that Henry will grab one of the first pair of guys if you grab one. I didn't even realize this was a gameplay possibility. All if the friendly AI so far has mainly just hung back and waited for me to clear a path. (Except now Ellie is getting in on the action with her gun.) I just didn't realize when he said "I'll follow your lead" he really meant "I do what you do." Guess I just need to be less afraid of experimenting and not get locked into a certain pattern so easily.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

I just can't stand trail and error gameplay if my intended path isn't clear.

You cannot stealth that section. Even if you make it all the way to the gate, unseen... you can't open the door! The prompt is greyed out!

This was one of the only sections in the game that I thought was unfair to the player, and ND failed quite miserably to communicate the "rules".

So, take out a few silently, to thin the herd. And then fight it out from a defensible position. Behind the desk inside is a strong fallback position if you have some shotgun/rifle ammo.

Though I will warn you not to waste molotovs or nailbombs here. You are soon to enter a very difficult stretch, and will need all the ammo you can carry.

Good luck!

Man

Finished for first time. Hard and no Listen Mode. Interesting ending. Was damn sure they would both die with how everyone trips around the the ending online. Not to mention alternative ending threads and ND saying something about how it is possible to continue the story... It's a conspiracy I tell you. In my favor.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I realize I'm late, but I just beat the game. It is hands down my favorite game of the system, if not the generation (perhaps only rivaled by Xenoblade). The game is a masterpiece in so many ways, but mostly it was the little things that got me. Naughty Dog really is the best developer. Wow.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
I realize I'm late, but I just beat the game. It is hands down my favorite game of the system, if not the generation (perhaps only rivaled by Xenoblade). The game is a masterpiece in so many ways, but mostly it was the little things that got me. Naughty Dog really is the best developer. Wow.

You should play Beyond: Two Souls too :3

Sajjaja

Wow, I can't believe I didn't notice this before, but there's a Catch-22 reference in here (my favourite book of all time). Was doing my 2nd playthrough on Survivor and I found this little excerpt here.

The reference is that in the book, if you're not able to do your duty, get a doctor's note saying you're unfit to fulfill them because you fear for your safety/mentally unwell, but in reality, if you do get the note from the doctor, you are doing something sane and therefore fit to fly and will fly anyways. Catch-22, you're fucked both ways.

May be kind of stretching it but I like to think so :p

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, I can't believe I didn't notice this before, but there's a Catch-22 reference in here (my favourite book of all time). Was doing my 2nd playthrough on Survivor and I found this little excerpt here.

The reference is that in the book, if you're not able to due your duty, get a doctor's note saying you're unfit to fulfill them because you fear for your safety/mentally unwell, but in reality, if you do get the note from the doctor, you are doing something sane and therefore fit to fly and will fly anyways. Catch-22, you're fucked both ways.

May be kind of stretching it but I like to think so :p

I thought the way it worked in the book was: the only way you could avoid flying was to have a doctor certify you as insane, but any soldier who would ask a doctor to certify him as insane is in reality sane and trying to avoid combat.

Only slightly different than what you said.

Sajjaja

I thought the way it worked in the book was: the only way you could avoid flying was to have a doctor certify you as insane, but any soldier who would ask a doctor to certify him as insane is in reality sane and trying to avoid combat.

Only slightly different than what you said.

Yeah, that's a better way of putting it, if not more accurate.

Started and finished this last week and I can't stop thinking about it.

Can I just say that the scene in the ranch house is probably the single most affecting cut scene I've ever witnessed in a video game? Just an incredible performance from all actors throughout. Naughty Dog's writing, directing, and storytelling is absolutely second to none in the industry. Oh yeah, the game itself is great too.

Going through my Survivor run and also trying to unlock all the shiv doors.

Finding scissors for shivs is driving me nuts. I already missed one door in Pittsburgh because I didn't have enough supplies. Turns out I missed a shiv blade early on that was already crafted that would have helped a lot. Never has this pic ever been more apt for my life

hqdefault.jpg

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I have to say I was wrong about this game. Expected something thoroughly mediocre but it ended up being pretty fun and awesome. Even if you were to take away the fantastic story and narrative the actual combat, stealth, and scavenging was fun to me. The ladders and planks shit didn't bother me either. Playing on Hard with Listen Mode turned off.

I kind of feel like it's what you would get if you mixed Resident Evil and Half-Life 2 into one game with a sprinkle of Splinter Cell for flavor.

In some of the more tense parts it gave me that feeling I used to get in System Shock 2, or Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, or REmake. And that tense feeling is a really good feeling for the player to have.

Between Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, and GTA V it's not like it had a ton of competition but yeah I would say so far it's the best game this year. Although I think Mario will be a possible contender. And who knows maybe Shadow Fall's singleplayer will surprise people, maybe not.

Recently bought a PS3 for cheap to play some of the top tier exclusives and I have the Last of Us up next and pretty excited about it. Quick question, what difficulty should I play? I love a reasonable, solid challenge and would much prefer a game being slightly too hard as opposed to too easy within reason.

Just for context I consider myself good at games in general, I love Demon / Dark Souls and played Bioshock Infinite on hard when early reviews indicated that normal was a walk in the park. Is normal in this game easy and lacking challenge? Should I crank it up to hard immediately?

Thanks.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Recently bought a PS3 for cheap to play some of the top tier exclusives and I have the Last of Us up next and pretty excited about it. Quick question, what difficulty should I play? I love a reasonable, solid challenge and would much prefer a game being slightly too hard as opposed to too easy within reason.

Just for context I consider myself good at games in general, I love Demon / Dark Souls and played Bioshock Infinite on hard when early reviews indicated that normal was a walk in the park. Is normal in this game easy and lacking challenge? Should I crank it up to hard immediately?

Thanks.

Hard, no listen mode.

That last part is the key. Differences in difficult are really just the amount of resources you can scrounge. So even on normal the game is still challenging, but you have more tools at your disposal. The harder the difficulty, the harder the choices you have to make when it comes to supplies on hand.

But listen mode is a tension eraser on every difficulty. You don't need it, the game has plenty of audio cues to help you without falling back on wallhax.

Hard, no listen mode.

That last part is the key. Differences in difficult are really just the amount of resources you can scrounge. So even on normal the game is still challenging, but you have more tools at your disposal. The harder the difficulty, the harder the choices you have to make when it comes to supplies on hand.

But listen mode is a tension eraser on every difficulty. You don't need it, the game has plenty of audio cues to help you without falling back on wallhax.

Awesome thanks. I'm assuming you can swap difficulties on the fly just in case things get too hairy?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm playing the game for the first time, and I'm at the part where Joel and Ellie finally get to the Fireflies in Utah (?), and Joel finds out they're gonna kill Ellie to hopefully develop a vaccine... And I don't want to stop them. I'll keep on playing, but damn, Joel needs to look at the bigger picture here.

Edit : Well, just beat the game. God damn.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Talk about an ending that sticks huh? There are a couple of games I'd put over tlou as far as overall experience goes, but the ending... Probably the best of this gen.
I've never been so engrossed by a game's story before. Not to bust out corny reviewer talk, but it really feels like an achievement for the medium.

TripOpt55

I've been doing a third playthrough recently and I still love this game so much. I am part way through the University section now. The cutscenes still hit hard even knowing what's coming and these encounters are still very intense. This game is pretty much perfect to me.

Fret

Just beat it for the first time

I absolutely loved the ending, it's just so much more depressing and original than just killing off one of the main characters or something similar like a lot of post-apocalyptic stories do. I didn't see that type of ending coming at all. I'll be remembering it for a long, long time.

8bit

Knows the Score
Something I noticed on playing through Survivor (I'm sure it happens on other difficulties but I didn't notice.)

Anyway, in the toy shop :

After Henry tells Sam to drop the robot and move on, Ellie sneaks around and tries to keep out of Joel's sight to pick it up when he isn't looking.

Which I thought was a really neat touch.

NeoGiff

Something I noticed on playing through Survivor (I'm sure it happens on other difficulties but I didn't notice.)

Anyway, in the toy shop :

After Henry tells Sam to drop the robot and move on, Ellie sneaks around and tries to keep out of Joel's sight to pick it up when he isn't looking.

Which I thought was a really neat touch.

Yep, it's a great touch. If you time turning around just right,
you can actually see her picking it up!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Just finished my first and probably only playthrough. Hard with Listen Mode turned off.

Great game, I have to say the scavenging and making use of scarce ammo and supplies in a third person shooter scenario actually worked out a LOT better than I would've thought. It was not the hurrr Citizen Kane of Gaming but it was pretty awesome and far, far more than just an "interactive movie" like some detractors have said. The tension speaks for itself through the gameplay itself, and that's just as if not more important than the stellar characters and acting.

edit: also my favorite weapon was easily the Rifle. So satisfying. The bow n' arrow was excellent as well. And I liked how mellee weapons had a health bar. Reminded me of system shock 2 weapon degradation lol

Dibbz

Dear Lord, I haven't played the MP in a good month or more and I've completely forgotten everything lol

Just got back into it myself after playing around with the Uncharted 3 free DLC stuff. God damn is it fun. Week 11 atm, My Clan count is going ballistic the last few in game days. Survive a Firefly attack (completed the mission) still lose about 18 people, then I build myself back up and just had a terrible round and 1/3 of them are hungry and sick. Golfham, one week to survive and try and unlock some masks.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I still haven't finished The Last of Us (I borrowed a mate's PS3 some time ago expressly for this purpose and never got around to it), but I watched Prisoners last night (great film, by the way) and one thing that was constantly sitting in the back of my mind was how fantastic Jackman would be as Joel in a film adaptation of TLoU.

Andrew.

Banned
I still haven't finished The Last of Us (I borrowed a mate's PS3 some time ago expressly for this purpose and never got around to it), but I watched Prisoners last night (great film, by the way) and one thing that was constantly sitting in the back of my mind was how fantastic Jackman would be as Joel in a film adaptation of TLoU.

Nope. Josh Brolin.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Nope. Josh Brolin.

I'd seen a few people mention his name in the past and thought it was a good suggestion at the time, and it still is, but after watching Prisoners I firmly believe Jackman would make for a perfect Joel.

Andrew.

Banned
I'd seen a few people mention his name in the past and thought it was a good suggestion at the time, and it still is, but after watching Prisoners I firmly believe Jackman would make for a perfect Joel.

I just can't see it. It's the voicework. I cant see Jackman doing a grizzled, beatdown southerner. Brolin however....and that's thanks mainly to No Country For Old Men.

Started playing Multiplayer a couple days ago, racked up about 10 hours since. Getting a little sick of teams not sticking together, any GAFers still playing multiplayer I could add?

Megatron

Just completed my first playthrough of the game. Loved it of course. This has probably been asked before but what do you guys want from a Last of Us sequal? Would it pick right up from where this game left off? Ten or twenty years down the road? Same characters? New Characters? The game ends with Joel lying to Ellie, which seems like it is something that would be addressed in a followup game.

Personally I'd like to see the game pick up 10-15 years down the line with an adult Ellie as the playable character, and you don't find out what happened to, or see Joel until near the end of the game. Let us know what happened to Bill, Tommy, Maria.

Top Bottom