• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Doran902

they just posted on twitter that they fixed the autosave thing, was a server problem

shit i wanna go home and play this, god damn work

Gonna be a long day at work today. Can't wait.

8YLU72h.png

Thrakier

The negative impressions HAVE to be either frustrated gamers from the difficulty, or people expecting a straight up shooting game. This game is insanely tense. Not many games play like this. In a time when gamers cry for innovation, ND makes something new and people bitch.

I love the style, setting and the pacing of the game. However, the framerate and graphic issues takes me out of immersion, the laggy controls (I don't think it's intended, it's just 30FPS with a bunch of GFX effects making it even laggier) add to that.

I'd wish they waited for a PS4 version. PS3 is finished and this game clearly shows. Coming from Tomb Raider 1080p/60, these issues are jarring and really hurt the fun. Hopefully I get used to it and forget about it. But it's hard.

Bladenic

Just started. I can't help but feel I should wait until tonight to play to fully immerse myself in the game and atmosphere. Doesn't seem like the type of game to play on a sunny afternoon.

But I doubt I can resist.

Holy shit, I've died like 15 times in the infected part in the subway. I am playing Hard and no, I'm not dropping the difficulty

Any tips?

And yeah, clickers are fucking scary

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Bah, my weekend just got more annoying.

So, it's confirmed that I have to come in to do OT on both Saturday and Sunday, so my planned late night playthrough tonight, Man of Steel with my wife and friends tomorrow afternoon, then Saturday and Sunday marathon of The Last of Us has been gutted.

My boss is also pissed, because he was planning on the same thing this weekend. None of us getting the Last of Us in the office is happy today. Lol.

Sorry, haven't read through the thread yet...but what are people's thoughts on the Difficulty?

What do they change on Hard? Just less stuff? or do you take more damage?

Is it still fair on Hard?

The negative impressions HAVE to be either frustrated gamers from the difficulty, or people expecting a straight up shooting game. This game is insanely tense. Not many games play like this. In a time when gamers cry for innovation, ND makes something new and people bitch.

Ok. I saw this post and I need to know without spoilers. I watched the first cut-scene and just gained control for the first time. Is this game going to fucking scare the shit out of me? I had to pause it with what happens
after the abrupt phone call
. I admit it, I'm a giant pussy and have a hard time with horror games, but I need to play this game.

Majora

I seem to have a weird bug in my game where human enemies don't react properly to sound. Just now I threw a bottle and a human enemy came up to where I threw it. He then just stands there forever, stuck, until I walked in front of him. In several other parts of the game, I've gotten into a noisy fight with someone and assumed no other human enemies were around, as no-one else intervened. Then like 5-10 minutes I walk around a corner in a different part of the area and see a couple of human enemies just stood there, frozen. Scared the life out of me on each occasion. It's like they're reacting to noises and then getting stuck somehow?

I like the game but, after ten hours so far, it's turned out to be awfully glitch and buggy. Not as polished as I expect from ND. There's the way your AI companions will literally bump into a clicker or human enemy and nothing will happen (a design decision I understand, but it looks sloppy. They obviously realised they couldn't rely on your companions staying out of trouble so they decided to upset the tension and immersion the game works so hard to build by having your companions stomp around like elephants in enemies faces without consequence)

Then there have been the chunks of levels appearing in front of my face, characters glitching through scenery, having to restart a section because I couldn't climb all the way to the top of a ladder to progress.

Seems like it could still have used a couple of months in the oven to me.

Melchiah

BTW, can you change the difficulty level mid-game?

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
just finished it. Resident Evil 4 of this generation.bravo ND lost hope after U3 but this game will be remembered for years

just finished it. Resident Evil 4 of this generation.bravo ND lost hope after U3 but this game will be remembered for years
Wow, it seems this game is very polarizing. I love it but it's hard. I am playing on hard though

Any tips for fighting the infected in the subway?

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

The difficulty is a little jarring, yes. I've had to adjust my playstyle based on this game but my biggest issue is that the experience hasn't been fun for me yet. I guess survival is not supposed to be fun sure, but it almost felt like a chore to play. However i'm going to get farther in the game today so I can get some more impressions.

mazillion

Fuuuuuuuucking fuck, I played like 2 hours but then the Ai froze and I couldn't progress because Tess wouldn't climb up a wall. And when I paused it I realized it was permanently stuck on 'auto saving, please wait' I couldn't quit, restart encounter or load game. So I had to restart the game, and my last save apparently is at the VERY BEGINNING of the game. Uggghh here we go again.

On an unrelated note, naughty dog is seriously limited graphics wise with the ps3, everywhere I look the visuals fall short in some way (big or small) and the frame rate is just barely passable overall. The game looks beautiful as a whole though

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Wow, it seems this game is very polarizing. I love it but it's hard. I am playing on hard though

I ve played on normal so had no problem there and to be honest I dont remember much of it right now sorry :(

DukeBobby

Is it just me, or is this game not as visually impressive as Uncharted 3?

Sincere question.

I think The Last of Us looks a bit better, but not by much. It's got the same 'unpolished but beautiful' look that Uncharted 3 has. Both games desperately needed some anti-aliasing.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

Start with NOT FIGHTING them. Sneak pass those fuckers.

Chake

Banned
Oh wow. My roommate toke his ps3 since he is going for the summer, so i was going to call my friends to ask if i could borrow their ps3 for the weekend. I'm sure they would be cool about that. The funny thing is that i just called them, and they are on their way to the airport to orlando for the weekend.

I'm not sure what pisses me off more. The fact that they didn't ask me to join, or the fact that i can't play TLOU till next friday.

Someone shoot me.

StuBurns

Banned
The combat is really dynamic and intense, such a huge leap from UC2. I probably should play on hard though, it seems pretty easy so far, a lot of room for error at least.

SeanR1221

Almost 2 hours in and the game is intense. I usually love shooting games but I find the brutal stealth in this to be awesome.

The hand to hand combat feels a lot better than Uncharted.

I think The Last of Us looks a bit better, but not by much. It's got the same 'unpolished but beautiful' look that Uncharted 3 has. Both games desperately needed some anti-aliasing.

Interesting. I'm just looking at the textures and details...and I feel like they were a bit better in Uncharted 3.

Granted, I'm only in Shanty town, and any shanty town in a video game generally looks like shit (Tomb Raider included).

Still getting a feel for the game. Opening was absolutely incredible; very effective and riveting stuff.

DukeBobby

Interesting. I'm just looking at the textures and details...and I feel like they were a bit better in Uncharted 3.

Granted, I'm only in Shanty town, and any shanty town in a video game generally looks like shit (Tomb Raider included).

Still getting a feel for the game. Opening was absolutely incredible; very effective and riveting stuff.

Well, it's been a year since I've played Uncharted 3, so my memory of it is not perfect. Once I've finished this, I'll definitely go back and compare the two.

Mupod

Uh, I just went to the online to enter my online pass and back out, but I apparently accidentally chose a faction or something and have no idea whether that was important or how to undo it. Deleting my save data did nothing.

It was the screen right before the online menu popped up, it was like a green and red choice on the left and right respectively. What was this?

Also, I just got a PS3 - can you fully install PS3 games?

Tonza

How is the percentage completed calculated? I mean how well does it represent story completion. (as opposed to finding all collectables etc.)

Top Bottom