• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Just a heads-up for Canadians: Even though the special editions don't seem to be available here, you can get a steel book box (same one that comes with US special edition) for free, if you buy the game at Future Shop. You just have to ask for the box, because they have a limited amount of them. Steel Box is literally fantastic, both texture and design, I don't think I've ever seen a game box this nice.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
About six hours in, here are some quick impressions:

+ Visuals and animations are second to none on consoles, particularly character models (the way the eyes look and move in this game is unreal)
+ Best voice acting ever, in any video game, and honestly some of the most real performances I've seen in any medium (film, TV, cartoons, whatever)
+ Artistic design and detail in the world is astounding
+ Fantastic writing, compelling story, amazing characters
+ So much tension around every corner
+ Soundtrack and music cues are sublime
+ Movement feels responsive and weighty
+ Sound is fucking impressive
+ Combat is great thanks to great stealth and powerful weapons
+ Love the minimal interface, the inventory, and how difficult and unrelenting Hard mode can be

- Controls can be wonky, and I've found myself fumbling with my inventory a number of times leading to my death
- Slight pacing issues in the first couple hours

And that's it.

Game is superb so far. Such a cohesive experience with INCREDIBLE characters. I really do love Joel and Ellie, and even other minor characters because the performances are so real, so believable, and the animations to complement them are just impeccable.

Game is giving me heavy Resident Evil 4 vibes.

The runners or the clickers? I'm pretty sure you can sneak through most areas in the subway, unless I'm forgetting something.
Thanks, made it through. Damn, that was tense

Hey, if you grab a clicker without a shiv, what happens? Do you stun it or does it just attack you?

Gestault

ijSJEzZxA6d5l.gif

Come on guys, it looks great!

(Seriously though, this game looks exciting, and hearing that the story doesn't stray from dark themes makes it more interesting to me than a half dozen "well made" standard action titles. I'm pleased to have had my expectations adjusted by some of the "bad news" about it after the glowing reviews, it'll let me enjoy it all the better.)

Mupod

Uh, I just went to the online to enter my online pass and back out, but I apparently accidentally chose a faction or something and have no idea whether that was important or how to undo it. Deleting my save data did nothing.

It was the screen right before the online menu popped up, it was like a green and red choice on the left and right respectively. What was this?

Since I have a genuine talent for posting right at the bottom of pages...anyone know what this was? Something unimportant?

I bought the regular version of the game, saw the survival edition on the counter, wanted to commit some crimes today.....so fucking sad I didn't pre order it.

D23

like 3 hours in,

this game, visually is stunning, probably the best in a console!

also its one of the most intense game ive played in a while
nearly shit myself in so many occasion, playing with a good gaming headset definitely enhanced it!

Anyone else notice this slight blurring effect on Joel's back as he walks? It blurs the textures of his clothes and pack.

WTF? Is it just me? Is my PS3 just not making sweet love to this game like it's supposed to??

like 3 hours in,

this game, visually is stunning, probably the best in a console!

also its one of the most intense game ive played in a while
nearly shit myself in so many occasion, playing with a good gaming headset definitely enhanced it!

Christ, why am I not feeling this way? Is it because I'm only an hour in?

D23

btw im trying to take a break from playing right now but its been saying 'Autosaving' for the past 5 minutes. WTF

dont tell me if i turn off my ps3 im gonna lose all my progress

Anyone else notice this slight blurring effect on Joel's back as he walks? It blurs the textures of his clothes and pack.

WTF? Is it just me? Is my PS3 just not making sweet love to this game like it's supposed to??

Ive been mentioning it all thread but no one seems to agree :p

Thrakier

No, it's just PS3 showing it's age. The game is quite blurry anyway. I'd love it would blur the jaggies more, those are very visibile. *_* Hoping for a 1080p/60FPS remake.

Christ, why am I not feeling this way? Is it because I'm only an hour in?

You need to consider your own perception. Are you used to PC games? Then good luck seeing something special in Last of Us regarding graphics.

Ive been mentioning it all thread but no one seems to agree :p

Which part?

I feel like my console just isn't handling this game well. The disc itself wouldn't load due to that odd inconsistency in the slot loading drive...99% of my discs will play, but then the odd blu-ray won't be recognized as even being there.

This is the first actual game to give me this problem. The rest were movies.

nataku

Argh.

I get the game just now, the survival edition, and started looking at the art book really quick, just to look the character designs of Joel and Ellie.

I think I spoiled myself on something pretty big by reading a single sentence.

Lord Snow

Banned
I really hope they add in some more multiplayer modes in the future. The online is brutal, and brilliant, but 2 modes really isn't enough.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
FUCK am i experiencing the autosave bug??

WTFF thats like 4 hours of gameplay.
this is bullshit
Log out of PSN, several people repeated throughout this thread it prevents the glitch. Also someone said that when the problem happens, you should be able to load the last save from the Load Game screen.

You need to consider your own perception. Are you used to PC games? Then good luck seeing something special in Last of Us regarding graphics.

NOT a PC gamer, never was. I've been playing a LOT of Animal Crossing lately, and that game sort of made me forget about everything. LOL

Tomb Raider impressed the hell out of me, visually, as did Uncharted 3.

I just thought this was supposed to be a step above UC3. :/

FUCK am i experiencing the autosave bug??

WTFF thats like 4 hours of gameplay.
this is bullshit

You're gonna have to restart the game. Hope you got a save recently dude. Some people glitches immediately while others had it kick in a while later.

Which part?

I feel like my console just isn't handling this game well. The disc itself wouldn't load due to that odd inconsistency in the slot loading drive...99% of my discs will play, but then the odd blu-ray won't be recognized as even being there.

This is the first actual game to give me this problem. The rest were movies.

The blurry part. It destroys an kind of IQ instantly.

Erasus

It's just, the blurring effect on his back is really taking me out of the game, as are the bland textures in this first hour. (though that excludes the opening, which was AMAZING)

Its probably motionblur.
Its in UE2/3 too but maybe they put too much in.

Also do we know the AA solution? Is it MLAA or MSAA? or FXAA (shudder)

MisterC20XX

Oh shit! I just put in four hours and was so caught up in the game I didn't realize it wasn't auto-saving. :( I just checked Twitter and saw this:

I'm glad Naughty Dog got this sorted out this morning but damn, I don't know if I can relive
the emotions of that intro
right now...

Somebody once told me when you're upset about something you should do a random act of kindness for someone else. With that in mind here is a PSN code for a The Last of Us™ Concept Art Dynamic Theme (use quote to see the code):

I need a drink.

Just booted up the game and jumped into a few rounds of multiplayer right off the bat. Took a little while to figure out the controls but am slowly figuring out the various menus and options available.

I'm still not sure what all this faction and survivor talk is and what it means but apparently I am trying to gather supplies to do something. I wonder if it is better to gather a bunch of supplies or try to win by taking out the enemy team, and what winning actually gives you. Essentially you are two opposing teams that are both trying to gather supplies and the other side is almost like an afterthought, just an obstacle to overcome while trying to gather up as much supplies as you can.

It pays to stick with your teammates, for sure. The lack of a lot of starting ammo and the kind of weird way to get more makes this feel very different as a MP title, forces you to make each shot count because you can run out so quickly. Everything is so slow and tactical. Only a few matches in and viewing all the available options for loadouts, seems like a lot of ways for players to play differently based on what weapons and modifiers they choose.

Need to spend more time with it to really figure it out.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Holy shit, I've died like 15 times in the infected part in the subway. I am playing Hard and no, I'm not dropping the difficulty

Any tips?

And yeah, clickers are fucking scary

Just keep at it. Perfect your sneaking em out one by one. I died like 20 times.

You can run away until they cant hear you anymore, and just really take it slow.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
ND fixed it now, so that is no longer require.
Still people in the tweet comments complaining that they get the glitch. Now it could be that it's server caching, but I wouldn't be so sure this is fixed. Easier to just log off and not worry about it, if you're playing the game today.

D23

Oh shit! I just put in four hours and was so caught up in the game I didn't realize it wasn't auto-saving. :( I just checked Twitter and saw this:

I'm glad Naughty Dog got this sorted out this morning but damn, I don't know if I can relive
the emotions of that intro
right now...

Somebody once told me when you're upset about something you should do a random act of kindness for someone else. With that in mind here is a PSN code for a The Last of Us™ Concept Art Dynamic Theme (use quote to see the code):

I need a drink.

SAME SITUATION

have some shot and a two..

i really want to play this again but i just cant at the moment.. ughh

maybe tonight.

JawzPause

Completed the game! Took me
12 hours 54 minutes
to complete on normal, and I took my time playing. I played without listen mode which I think should be the default way to play. Also I didn't have any autosave problem. Is there going to be a discussion thread about the ending?

hal9001

Banned
Having passed over the half way point I can safely say this game goes into a whole different level. It's totally incredible. Feels like Re4 and half life 2 mixed together. My advice for people is to plough through some of the sluggish opening sections as this game goes to masterpiece levels in the second Half.

Top Bottom