• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

OK, I got my copy from my cheapasses at EB, and I have to complain: It seems the online code is a sticker placed right on the cover. Like it was printed off a computer...wtf? Is this normal? I hate my EB, the inside of the box arts never have any art cover, it just all feels like a knockoff.

Can anyone else confirm that this is how they got their code too? I just want to play it but it's bothering me that my EBGames does this.

Also, will we have a MP-GAF team going?

Hixx

Joel is such a tank even on Hard... though the one hit kill enemies are fucking bullshit. Meleeing one of the runners and suddenly the camera shifts and I'm getting my head ripped off by an enemy I didn't see or hear (which was surprising as the audio up until then had never let me down).

Also this part (about half way through, 45% or something)
where you fall down the elevator shaft and are all alone... SO FUCKING TENSE, I knew as soon as I started up that generator I was going to get ambushed but still... adafunfundefoiwoffjm

Ellie does kind of act like Elizabeth from Bioshock, randomly handing you shit. Not that I'm complaining (or am I? :p) but it kind of ruins the scavenging/survival aspect a bit. I was shifting round an area because I'd been spotted and had pretty much nothing. Then Ellie gives me 2 lots of ammo within a minute then a medkit 2 minutes later and I was actually disappointed. But I used that shit and got on with it so I'm feeling a bit hypocritical. At least it's nowhere near as often as in Bioshock though.

StuBurns

Banned
The stealth is kind of cheap, there's some sort of auto fail for running when spotted, out of nowhere, there's suddenly the perfect amount of bullet fire to stop you escaping, every time.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
About 3 hours in and while it's enjoyable, some of the events are just so predictable.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
AI has been great from what I've seen. Enemies hide and act covertly. The AI doesn't rush fearlessly at you like in Uncharted, and that's not really a bad thing.

Hmm, we must be having different experiences. The enemy soldiers run right at me and my companion A.I. is all over the place.

DatDude

Banned
The stealth is kind of cheap, there's some sort of auto fail for running when spotted, out of nowhere, there's suddenly the perfect amount of bullet fire to stop you escaping, every time.

There have been quite a few occasions on hard where I was able to simply blitz for the exit and run away from enemy encounters. It's really all about picking the most opportune time, and zigging and zagging.

StuBurns

Banned
There have been quite a few occasions on hard where I was able to simply blitz for the exit and run away from enemy encounters. It's really all about picking the most opportune time, and zigging and zagging.
I think in the two examples I'm think of, it's literally impossible, because being shot stops his movement for longer than the magic bullets take to fire again. It feels like an automated death, but I could be mistaken.

pyros

ok, need to ask, does anyone from asia psn, have a problem downloading the game from the store?

When I start the game, with the 137mb installer, it downloads a 43mb update, then the whole screen shows this for hours with out any updates

IMG_0405_zps447cb993.jpg

Bollocks

Just fell through the game world. Attacked a guy from behind and off we went through the ground, thought great, have to restart, but it teleported me back without the guy but the camera was now on ground level and couldn't see shit, only when I'm aiming was I able to see something, so I played it like a typical 3rd person shooter :D Didn't restart because that was a long section with no saves for a long time.

Also my companions are dumb as shit, they block me and/or attract enemies

Ricker

OK, I got my copy from my cheapasses at EB, and I have to complain: It seems the online code is a sticker placed right on the cover. Like it was printed off a computer...wtf? Is this normal? I hate my EB, the inside of the box arts never have any art cover, it just all feels like a knockoff.

Yes...at least the person at EB pointed to it otherwise I could of missed it hehe...

So I got two codes, one is the Online Pass, not sure what the other one is for.

Anyone know? If it's unlockables for MP, Ill give it away on here as I want to earn my stripes

I tried it out, and it felt cheep. I think naughty dog only included it for the less than average gamer. For a better experience, I suggest turning it off.
I've been playing without LM and it's so tense that way but is there any way to peek from cover without exposing yourself?
That would very useful

Arsin

Dolby Digital 5.1 should be a safe bet. As for the dynamic range, set it to max if you want the most realistic sound. This means things like voices may be much quieter than explosions though, so you may have to run at a higher volume. If you want to turn down the volume just reduce the dynamic range, with night time being the lowest level.

Thanks for the tips!

Work is dragging these last few hours. Move faster clock!

So I've been playing for about 3-5 hours now. I've started out hard and haven't had any trouble throughout. I think I've died 5 times. Mostly by clickers too.

The thing I love about the combat is the way you have to adapt your tactics if engaging zombies or humans! The only thing that annoys me though is the layout of the cover spots. It makes it so clear when you're going to get in an encounter.

Also I'm loving the random chatter, really makes the characters feel alive. Also one moment in the game made me realise how amazing the voice acting and facial emotions is. It's with Bill but I'm spoilering for people who haven't played yet.

When you finally find the car and his friend hanging in his house, you can go in and find a letter from his friend basicly saying that he hated Bill and that he would rather die than continuing with Bill. When you give the letter to Bill he kinda chokes up as he's trying to hold back tears and his face is sad but trying to hold it back trying to brush it off saying "Well fuck him"
That was amazing.

A tip to y'all: GO INTO EVERY ROOM, all these random letters and scriblings will greatly improve your experience with the game!

What does the patch do anyways ?

whalesex

Neo Member
I played from 12:30 last night when I picked it up until 6:30 this morning and my save file is completely wiped from the prologue on. When I was trying to quit this morning, I noticed the "Autosaving" thing was stuck and I waited and waited and eventually figured that if anything, the previous save was fine. Unfortunately, I was wrong.

Naughty Dog says this is fixed now but my marathon session is completely thwarted. It might be a few days until I play again.

Cmerrill

So the auto saving problem still fucking exists. Christ sake, I thought it was resolved?? I forgot to check and my auto saving is frozen again!!! I think I may just bring my game back, sick of this shit.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I played from 12:30 last night when I picked it up until 6:30 this morning and my save file is completely wiped from the prologue on. When I was trying to quit this morning, I noticed the "Autosaving" thing was stuck and I waited and waited and eventually figured that if anything, the previous save was fine. Unfortunately, I was wrong.

Naughty Dog says this is fixed now but my marathon session is completely thwarted. It might be a few days until I play again.
Did you try going to Load Game screen, instead of selecting Continue?

So the auto saving problem still fucking exists. Christ sake, I thought it was resolved?? I forgot to check and my auto saving is frozen again!!! I think I may just bring my game back, sick of this shit.
You quit the game when they suggested to do so? Not surprised, twitter comments on that tweet indicated there's still problem.

* JUST LOG OFF PSN BEFORE STARTING THE SP GAME *

Ricker

So I got two codes, one is the Online Pass, not sure what the other one is for.

Anyone know? If it's unlockables for MP, Ill give it away on here as I want to earn my stripes

Keep it,it's like 8 download...2 avatars,the whole soundtrack,some t-shirts for Ellie(only when you finish the game I think though),a XMB theme and a few things that help when you start that I forget...

Amir0x

Banned
Adam Boyes showed up with a PS4 and let me have a hands on with it, and also gifted me a copy of TLoU.

Sony GAF confirmed! ;)

That was really cool of Adam Boyes. As I was saying in another thread, Boyes, Cerny and Yoshida are really a good combination of faces for PR for Sony. Tretton is the only one that's hit or miss, as is Kaz. They nailed the group that should be talking to the press these days

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I've been on a complete blackout since last year's E3 showing. I just got home with my copy, very excited to start playing. Glad to see the autosave bug has been fixed, and it looks like The best way to be to in is on hard with no listening, so I'll be doing that.

I'll periodically post impressions here. Naughty Dog is one of my favorite developers and this has been by far my most anticipated title for the last year or so. Can't believe it is finally here, hopefully it lives up to their previous work! A Uncharted 3-type quality game is my expectations going in (which is on the same level as UC1 and quite a few notches below the greatness that is UC2). Reviews don't mean shit to me so this getting a 9.6 or whatever it has on Metacritic is not going to cloud my expectations whatsoever going in. Bioshock Infinite squandered any respect I had left for the vast majority of game journalist reviews.

Anyways, starting it now. I'm psyched!

JawzPause

I've been playing without LM and it's so tense that way but is there any way to peek from cover without exposing yourself?
That would very useful

I was hoping they included that too, but unfortunately there isn't a way. I just rotate the camera when in cover to peek around a corner.

Cmerrill

I've been on a complete blackout since last year's E3 showing. I just got home with my copy, very excited to start playing. Glad to see the autosave bug has been fixed, and it looks like The best way to be to in is on hard with no listening, so I'll be doing that.

I'll periodically post impressions here. Naughty Dog is one of my favorite developers and this has been by far my most anticipated title for the last year or so. Can't believe it is finally here, hopefully it lives up to their previous work! A Uncharted 3-type quality game is my expectations going in (which is on the same level as UC1 and quite a few notches below the greatness that is UC2). Reviews don't mean shit to me so this getting a 9.6 or whatever it has on Metacritic is not going to cloud my expectations whatsoever going in. Bioshock Infinite squandered any respect I had left for the vast majority of game journalist reviews.

Anyways, starting it now. I'm psyched!

I wouldn't play yet, the "auto saving fuck up" still exists. You may lose all your progress.

Amir0x

Banned
Hmm, I am really playing this slowly and searching everything but I am not finding that many items of story importance. You get a short letter here and there, and stuff like that, but nothing that important...

That can be a part of emergent storytelling, but there are things more important to me than things being explicitly spelled out (in fact, I prefer when there are no words at all because games are typically terribly written).

The thing I'm looking for is emergent visual storytelling. For example, evidence of a family - their loved ones demolished rooms, little hobbies and a history, and then you eventually find the families desecrated corpses in another room, victim of an apparent group suicide (and you can clearly see the father was the last one alive, so he must have had to kill them). No words need to be said for stuff like this. THis story isn't in Last of Us (to my knowledge, anyway, havent started it yet, will in a few minutes), but it's an example of what I'm talking about and what I'm really looking for.

It's also called worldbuilding sometimes, because it provides a background narrative that makes the world feel lived-in.

Dude Abides

Banned
Going to be playing this in about an hour. Should I download the patch, and then disconnect from the internet to avoid the autosave bug, or should I not even bother with the patch?

Hahaha, I swear this happens to me everytime I play one of these big, anticipated games....played the opening, loved it, get to one of the first real "gameplay" parts, and I cannot find the goddamn
ladder!
I'm sure it's just some very simplistic little visual cue that I'm missing, haha. I want to help you Tess, I really do.

Ricker

Going to be playing this in about an hour. Should I download the patch, and then disconnect from the internet to avoid the autosave bug, or should I not even bother with the patch?

Download the patch then disconnect from PSN before playing...I downloaded all the codes and patched,disconnected from PSN,played for 1 hour and a half,did some manual saves(going with 3 saves) and quit...started the game again offline,chose continue and I was right where I manually saved last...

Dude Abides

Banned
Download the patch then disconnect from PSN before playing...I download all the codes and patched,disconnected from PSN,played for 1 hour and a half,did some manual saves(going with 3 saves) and quit...started the game again offline,chose continue and I was right where I manually saved last...

Will do. Thanks.

Top Bottom