• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

whalesex

Neo Member
I hope I didn't come off as sounding reactionary or anything. Obviously, crap happens and I don't feel entitled or angry at Naughty Dog. That said, 6 hours of progress on a game lost is kind of a big blow.

I did try the load game option and I'm still at the part just after the prologue. I'm sure the issue is fixed now but because I left at the wrong time, it screwed me over.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
It finally got delivered to my apartment; my wife is grabbing it for me while I'm at work. It's also looking like I won't have to come into work for OT on Sunday, and we're leaving early tonight, so things are looking up! Now, just the long wait until I leave at 5...

I know this may sound ridiculous and I may sound like a kid but:

zCzINQb.jpg

Please no destroying, people! We need him to be a GAF resident! <3

Ceebs

Played about 2 hours and just not feeling it yet.

It has parts that look great, and plenty more that look pretty bland. You can tell they just ran out of machine to push with a good portion of the textures. Some of them are terrible.

That intro did nothing for me as it was mostly just another hold up for 20 minutes section of "gameplay".

Been running through samey sections of buildings for a while now. In fact I did not realize I left the skyscraper for like 15 minutes.

RDreamer

That intro was such a gut punch
since you pretty much knew his daughter had to die, since she wasn't in any of the preview stuff, and it's just him and Ellie for the game. I had such a sense of foreboding the whole time, and having you play as her was so cruel too.

So far I'm liking it, though it did kind of ruin the immersion when some of the friendly characters walked back and forth in front of an enemy and the enemy didn't see them at all, probably because they didn't want my cover to be blown by AI. Still, it was weird.

Dennis

Banned
Is there no option to turn of the white circle that indicate where objects are?

Feels like cheating and breaking immersion when something artificial like that does the exploring for you.

Hahaha, I swear this happens to me everytime I play one of these big, anticipated games....played the opening, loved it, get to one of the first real "gameplay" parts, and I cannot find the goddamn
ladder!
I'm sure it's just some very simplistic little visual cue that I'm missing, haha. I want to help you Tess, I really do.

Ha! Found it. Behind a gd
car

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Ugh, you can't turn them off. It auto saves automatically.

Someone said earlier that you can decide not to use autosaves by pressing O when creating the savegame.

Erasus

Played about 2 hours and just not feeling it yet.

It has parts that look great, and plenty more that look pretty bland. You can tell they just ran out of machine to push with a good portion of the textures. Some of them are terrible.

That intro did nothing for me as it was mostly just another hold up for 20 minutes section of "gameplay".

Been running through samey sections of buildings for a while now. In fact I did not realize I left the skyscraper for like 15 minutes.

They can only do so much with streaming and 256MB VRAM sadly. That little VRAM + open areas does not make for good textures.

Andrew.

Banned

Feels like cheating and breaking immersion when something artificial like that does the exploring for you.

We all are expecting screenshots eventually Dennis. Remember that.

DukeBobby

35% into the game and I've only just realised that my L2 button is fucked up. No wonder I've been sprinting like a lunatic with no way of slowing down.

I just started the game up and got to the part where the tutorials end. I've come to the conclusion that the hearing skill is really useless. I was behind a box under cover and used the hearing skill right in front of me. I didn't see anything so I walked behind myself and someone starts shooting me. There was an enemy literally in front of the box where I used the hearing skill at. That is really messed up for it to miss that.

I don't expect him to be like Batman and be able to see everything but geez. Game is pretty good so far so this is my only complaint.

delta25

Banned
Adam Boyes showed up with a PS4 and let me have a hands on with it, and also gifted me a copy of TLoU.

I guess this is one of the many perks being the head honcho of the biggest gaming forum on the net. Man I bet those booth babes just line up for a piece of evil.

vilmer_

I have a capture card that I can easily cap screenies with, perhaps I'll add a few once I get settled in from work and the game finishes installing.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Thanks to a series of medical & insurance bills I'm left temporarily low on funds. However I have two Target gift cards so I think cool, I'll pick up TLoU today after work.

I went straight to Target as soon as I got out. I saw a copy in the case and a woman behind me said she was here for the same game. I went and got a clerk to open the case who after scanning the game determined it was the last remaining copy.

I thought you know what, its no big deal I can pick it up sometime down the road and let the woman have it. Maybe, hopefully its for a kid.

She didn't even bother to thank me.

Have fun gaf, I'll join you eventually.

sueil

Anyone else getting the feeling that the game just isn't that good? The story stuff is fine but the gameplay is kinda shit. I'm feeling some buyers remorse.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

I've seen screenshot of the options screen that had Object Highlighting On/Off.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
After playing for a bit, disappointment is setting in. I hope the latter half does kick ass like folks have been saying.

Anyone else getting the feeling that the game just isn't that good? The story stuff is fine but the gameplay is kinda shit. I'm feeling some buyers remorse.

Why?

whalesex

Neo Member
After playing for a bit, disappointment is setting in. I hope the latter half does kick ass like folks have been saying.

It progressively gets better. I wasn't disappointed so much as just a little underwhelmed with the opening. After about 3 or 4 hours, the dialog really picks up and you start to connect to the characters. Furthermore, the intensity of certain fights really puts you on edge. Definitely a Gestalt sort of game.

I just started the game up and got to the part where the tutorials end. I've come to the conclusion that the hearing skill is really useless. I was behind a box under cover and used the hearing skill right in front of me. I didn't see anything so I walked behind myself and someone starts shooting me. There was an enemy literally in front of the box where I used the hearing skill at. That is really messed up for it to miss that.

I don't expect him to be like Batman and be able to see everything but geez. Game is pretty good so far so this is my only complaint.
This happened to me a bunch of times. Even Ellie spotted one and the hearing skill didn't. I noticed after getting their attention via throwing a bottle/brick, they appear using the hearing skill.

@Sorcerer Supreme
Yes, the game has an online pass.

Animal

Banned
I just encountered what seems to be a bug.

My flashlight starts acting up and flicking my controller does nothing. Most of the buttons on my controller are non-responsive but not all. My character can't move but can rotate. I reset my controller and it did nothing. All buttons are functional in XMB.

Vire

I have no words for the opening.

Beautiful.

My only complaint so far is the over reliance on motion blur and framerate drops. Other than that, has been absolutely superb. Just met Ellie.

Watcha guys think of the MP?

Could have used a lot of work, a co-op mode is such a missed opportunity. Doesn't seem to come close to UC2's greatness..God I miss UC2.

I like it, I love the slowed down and intense gameplay, and I LOVE the parts collecting.

It just could have used more modes and players IMO.

But I only had a small taste of it, I'm still trying to figure out the whole survivor/raid thing.

Lumine

I'm about an hour or two in now. I stayed online and had no problem with auto-saves. So it looks like it's fixed.
Game is great so far, the opening scene was nicely done. I hope the game opens up a bit soon, it's very linear so far and it constantly keeps pushing you to go from one point to the next. In many ways it does feel like a sequel to Uncharted, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I already like the story, setting and mood much more.
The whole hit-your-controller-to-make-your-flashlight-work-again-thing was excellent haha! Best use of the sixaxis yet? :p

Top Bottom