• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

sueil

The combat is bad, the AI is brain dead, there are way too many enemies and they take a very unrealistic amount of bullets to down. Most of the enemies will have zero ammo on them even though they all had guns and if you didn't kill them they would keep on shooting you forever. AI allies can walk right up to enemies and even touch them and they won't even react. I understand why this was done for gameplay reasons but makes even less sense than when it was done in Bioshock Infinite. The stealth is pretty luckluster as well. Walking around near enemies at night with my light on and they didn't even notice.

Damn, that opening....
As a huge fan of the zombie and apocalyptic genre, I was ecstatic to see a game finally attempt a scene that occurs at the beginning of the chaos. Most games happen days, weeks, years after it all happened. Scenes like that have been in movie forever...Dawn of the Dead remake, Contagion, 28 Days/28 Weeks Later, countless zombies movies, War of the Worlds...

But I can't remember a game putting you in that scenario, that moment when normal life is shattered forever. And ND nailed the atmosphere and tension perfectly

And that final moment...so heart breaking, yet explains so much about Joel's character and the path he took over the next 20 years

Overall, it's now up there with Bioshock, GoW3, and Uncharted 2 as my favorites. I don't know if it's the best opening ever, but it sure is one of the best

What are your thoughts?

So am I the only one who was pissed about getting "spoiled" before release...only for the spoilers to be not that important or not even true?

I had seen the cutscene titled
"Ellie infected"
but that's not really even that big a deal

And then I glimpsed a YouTube video that seemed to hint that someone died, but turns out was just clicker death animations.

DatDude

Banned
The combat is bad, the AI is brain dead, there are way too many enemies and they take a very unrealistic amount of bullets to down. Most of the enemies will have zero ammo on them even though they all had guns and if you didn't kill them they would keep on shooting you forever. AI allies can walk right up to enemies and even touch them and they won't even react. I understand why this was done for gameplay reasons but makes even less sense than when it was done in Bioshock Infinite. The stealth is pretty luckluster as well. Walking around near enemies at night with my light on and they didn't even notice.

ARe we even playing the same game?

Human enemies take 1 to the head to take down, 2 to the body to kill.

Infected are a few more shots.

An this is me playing on hard.

An I honestly don't get the AI complaints. Either people were expecting a revolutionary ai, or something, because while it's not perfect it's definitely not a game breaker. I think it's especially a good first effort for Naughty Dog considering this is pretty much there 1st legit stealth game.

Vire

Vibes I'm getting so far:

1. Half Life 2 - City 17

2. Children of Men

3. The Road

Voice acting is phenomenal. Really some of the best I've ever heard in a game.

DatDude

Banned
Damn, that opening....
As a huge fan of the zombie and apocalyptic genre, I was ecstatic to see a game finally attempt a scene that occurs at the beginning of the chaos. Most games happen days, weeks, years after it all happened. Scenes like that have been in movie forever...Dawn of the Dead remake, Contagion, 28 Days/28 Weeks Later, countless zombies movies, War of the Worlds...

But I can't remember a game putting you in that scenario, that moment when normal life is shattered forever. And ND nailed the atmosphere and tension perfectly

And that final moment...so heart breaking, yet explains so much about Joel's character and the path he took over the next 20 years

Overall, it's now up there with Bioshock, GoW3, and Uncharted 2 as my favorites. I don't know if it's the best opening ever, but it sure is one of the best

What are your thoughts?

Was a huge fan of it. That quick whopping emotional punch to the gut was probably a first for me as far as openings go in this medium.

Grumbul

Two hours in and loving it. Really impressed with Joel's movement and the overall feel of the game.

It is going to be a great weekend!

Amir0x

Banned
Its fixed so don't worry.
It was a problem this morning with the servers, all cleared up now.

Good to go!
It's been resolved it seems.

Thank you guys. Didn't want to start in case there was something I had to do to avoid the save bug. Now that I got the all clear, time to start.

WISH ME LUCK DUDES. Hard mode, listen mode off, ALL DEATH IN MY EYES

Dennis

Banned
No one else bothered that the white circle around objects can't be turned off in Options?

You consolers are a bunch of softcores.

Badgerst3

About 20% in. Like it better than bioshock. By a large margin. I feel more emotionally invested in Joel and Ellie.

This and tomb raider have been my favorite games over the last 6 months.

Great Jon ND!

jgmo870

Banned

This makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Cyberia

At the end of the day, one detail is all that matters about the The Last of Us: its single-player campaign. Naughty Dog has taken what it’s learnt from crafting the Uncharted franchise and spun that experience into a more down-to-earth, realistic adventure that shines with storytelling excellence, great combat, tense atmosphere and the highest quality in presentation, making The Last of Us one of Sony’s best exclusives for the PS3’s ever-growing library of great games.

http://darkzero.co.uk/game-reviews/the-last-of-us-ps3/

As we inch closer and closer to the PlayStation 3’s end-of-life, it’s great to see mature, risky new franchises such as The Last of Us still being released for the platform. The game hits all the right notes and proves that Naughty Dog really knows how to design interesting, gorgeous and enjoyable games. We can't imagine what the future holds for the studio and their franchises on the PS4.

http://www.gaming-age.com/2013/06/the-last-of-us-review-for-ps3/

katkombat

Banned
So am I the only one who was pissed about getting "spoiled" before release...only for the spoilers to be not that important or not even true?

I had seen the cutscene titled
"Ellie infected"
but that's really even that big a deal

And then I glimpsed a YouTube video that seemed to hint that someone died, but turns out was just clicker death animations.

Shit! I guess I was spoiled before release as well. I was pissed also. Forgot about it though... :/
That sucks man, booo to whoever the pee brain that posted something they shouldnt have.

:(

is this the only guy who thinks this? general consensus is positive.

vfI9HXT.jpg

Got my copy this morning...

Hey Sony, thanks for the totally sweet shiny metallic Naughty Dog stickers instead of a manual! :-/

As posted in the other thread:

Taking my chance...

Sorry guys about this morning and my personal apologies to the people who lost progress. Thank you to everyone who helped us figuring out what the problem was. Travis (our lead programmer) & myself were in the office at 6am this morning to fix the issue, I wish we could have dealt with the problem sooner.

Sorry again and thanks for your patience.

<3 <3

OwlyKnees

No one else bothered that the white circle around objects can't be turned off in Options?

You consolers are a bunch of softcores.

No.

It would be super frustrating otherwise. It would become tedious to meticulously search each shelf, as in various locations in the game they are fairly difficult to spot.

Played Supply Raid, REALLY FUN!

You guys know sprinting puts you on the map, right?

I am getting the feel for MP, but still don't understand this whole survivor/clan thing

hal9001

Banned

Stealth is key to the game. This isn't a shooter. Try practicing more on moving around strategically and planning takedowns.

Truant

Bullet sponge enemies are really hampering my overall enjoyment of this.

For such a gritty experience, it feels out of place. Guns should feel powerful and super dangerous in a game such as this.

Sophia

So umm.. I'm kinda worried. I just started the game, but it's horribly bugging out. Cutscene models are flying all over the place, and at one point it glitched up entirely in the intro. I'm guessing this isn't normal...? I just restarted the console, so if it happens again I'll see if I can take pictures.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So umm.. I'm kinda worried. I just started the game, but it's horribly bugging out. Cutscene models are flying all over the place, and at one point it glitched up entirely in the intro. I'm guessing this isn't normal...? I just restarted the console, so if it happens again I'll see if I can take pictures.

lol, should have made pics first ;)

Lucid07

So can someone give me some advice, tis pretty urgent. I opted out of the autosaving before I started buy now on the menu it wont let me highlight anything below tutorial. Can I not save?

Top Bottom