• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II was released 4 years ago

tommib

Gold Member
The game that I put off playing because I thought it was going to be terrible due to internet discourse only to 7 months after being floored by it. And I didn’t particularly like Part I when it came out but Part II made me see it in a totally different way.

Utterly depressing and dark experience though. And I do take my hat off to that. For the balls that they had to go there.

A more hopeful Part III would give those characters some rest.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Personally hated it. Blatantly woke, poorly paced and badly written. Overall pretty boring to me.

Gotta admit the gameplay, while simple and being "the usual stuff" for those kinds of games, felt very smooth and polished. Liked that it had dogs as enemies, since having an enemy sniff you while trying to be stealthy felt pretty tense.

Never made it to the Abby section, Ellie's was too boring to me, but I heard that part is better.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Yup.. And I hated it.

It was mechanically sound, graphically stunning, audibly incredible... stupidly written.
This. At first I was 100% on board with the death of Joel. I thought it was really well done. Problem is that if you make such a choice, you better be sure you have a solid character to replace him. And... well, let's just say it wasn't the case.

Want to replay it on pc at a proper framerate, my old ps4 can only keep 30, and I felt i wanted a more aggressive gameplay (specially the later parts) but was hindered by performance

Lunarorbit

4 years ago feels like I was living on a different planet. Fuck... so much has happened.

I'll never get over the cancelation of factions though. Besides helldivers 2 I have zero interest in their mp offerings.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Personally hated it. Blatantly woke, poorly paced and badly written. Overall pretty boring to me.

Gotta admit the gameplay, while simple and being "the usual stuff" for those kinds of games, felt very smooth and polished. Liked that it had dogs as enemies, since having an enemy sniff you while trying to be stealthy felt pretty tense.

Never made it to the Abby section, Ellie's was too boring to me, but I heard that part is better.
The scene or part where you are in a religious site... I HATE THIS PART OF THE GAME.

violence

Probably the first game where I played as one of those burly CrossFit girls. Great stealthy sequences. The story ended with the first game and I didn’t care for this one.

Last edited:

violence

The scene or part where you are in a religious site... I HATE THIS PART OF THE GAME.
Oh the part where they replaced the zombies with religious people? Then Ellie strangles one and whispers “Adam and Steve bitch” in his ear?

Or maybe that was me saying that out loud while playing.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Yeah, apparently you can't have your post-apocalyptic zombie game without a tour through a synagogue and reflecting on the holocaust.

mrMUR_96

I'm so mixed about the game. The gameplay was brilliant, really intense combat with great ai and animations. Visuals were incredible too. The story was such a mess though, so bloated with awful pacing and ended up disliking pretty much every character in the game.

the actual gameplay was superb, aside from some of the forcibly slowed down "exposure" -parts .....the writing and pacing of the story however was absolute dogshit.

4 years dam, what has naughty dog been doing all this time , they could had a new uncharted game out by now, if they weren’t so incompetent in trying to make a gass game with half the required personnel lol.

Hugare

I love the first game way more, but still one of my favorite games ever

To me, Ellie/Dina didnt have chemistry together, and they are a big part of the game. Pacing was also a mess, specially in the first half of the game.

Second half is just nuts. Setpieces are amazing, Abby is a great character (so is Lev), pacing gets much better.

Havent experienced this amount of unique environments and content in a linear singleplayer game since I dunno, RE 4

Everything felt handcrafted, and it had so much of it (arguably too much)

One of the GOATs

The game that I put off playing because I thought it was going to be terrible due to internet discourse only to 7 months after being floored by it. And I didn’t particularly like Part I when it came out but Part II made me see it in a totally different way.

Utterly depressing and dark experience though. And I do take my hat off to that. For the balls that they had to go there.

A more hopeful Part III would give those characters some rest.

It is definitely a painful experience which is why some didn't like it. Game made me feel terrible when it ended.

Just love how bold they were with it.

Last edited:

RainyNguyen

Part II is my GOAT :messenger_loudly_crying:. The most wonderful and emotional entertainment experience I've ever had, no fucking game/ film can replace it.

The only game that deserves an AAA rating from me: Story: A, Gameplay: A, Graphics: A

I'm afraid there will never be another game with such an excellent and unique storyline.

I hope Druckmann will make Part 3 even crazier, darker, and more tragic.

Last edited:

Salz01

Great gameplay, awesome graphics and atmosphere. I still don’t like one single new character. None are iconic or relateable like Joel, Ellie, Tommy.

Worst game sequel of all time imo .. I dont think in my lifetime I will see another franchise that will go from my favorite game in part 1 to the absolutely dogshit part 2 was. Thats quite an achievement.
I bought a PS3 just to play this game.

Bought part two at release. It was “ok”. I got to the “fuck fedra gate” and was bored to tears. Never touched the game again. Just traded in my copy a few weeks ago.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Did a platinum cleanup run recently and it was a blast. Gameplay and animations are above anyone else in the business really. Graphics are stunning, although I do personally prefer the aesthetic of uncharted.

Part 3 is a day one purchase for me to avoid spoilers and I can’t wait.

The story was one of the first examples of pandering, which deflated the experience, but the gameplay/look of the game were excellent. I can see why some people absolutely love it, but many are put off.

A bold choice for a triple A game. I would be interested to see what the TV audience make of it if they replicate the plot. They will have to make Abby a more sympathetic character and Ellie/Joel less likeable (I guess they succeeded with Ray Winstone playing Ellie).

Last edited:
Top Bottom