• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II was released 4 years ago

Alan Wake

A technical masterpiece pushing the PS4 to the limit - and a huge disappointment. The game went on for too long, had tons of new characters I never cared about, took bad turns storywise and ended up almost imploding before my eyes. Very disappointing indeed. The first game did not have one bad scene or one ill-conceived part of the story. It was as close to perfect as a game can come. TLOU2 was all over the place.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I will definitely remember this game because of the fact that its leak has actually done some good for the world and people's wallets.

Only if they add black bars for pixel rendering real estate and they limit gameplay to one to one sword fights.
I removed all of the visual additions like that. It looks incredible. But that's what I'm saying, Ninja Theory are amateurs next to Naughty Dog. If ND gets a hold of Unreal 5 tech, it's all over.

VulcanRaven

ND, listen me for the part III:
A new imune girl/boy will show up, and they ask Ellie to take her/him to the same hospital of the first one, where the equipment is still there, since she knows the way but she refuses at first, and decide to keep her normal life. A outbreak happens on her area and Dina dies, and them she decides to go with the new imune kid. Game happens, meet people, kill people, zombies, meet Abby, help Abby, get help from Abby, Abby dies, gameplay, etc. In the end, at the hospital with the kid, she decides to sacrifice herself for the cure, letting the kid live. Cliche, I know, but it would be a good finale IMO.
I like the idea of Ellie sacrificing herself for the cure. That could be a great ending. I hope the game is set many years after Part 2 and teenage JJ is the second playable character. I'm not sure if we need to see Abby again. Her story got a good ending.

Last edited:

Certinty

Still have no idea what I think about the overall game.

Gameplay was amazing as were the visuals, level design, attention to detail, voice acting and so on.

But honestly, the pacing was horrific and the story probably the worst i’ve ever come across in a major title.

Felt like wasted potential. It could have truly been something amazing.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
One of my favourite games, ever.

The ending had me thinking about the game for days afterward and that's never happened with a game before.

I felt the last section of the game went on for too long but overall it's an amazing experience.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Easily one of the greatest games of all time I don't think I've ever come across a story as dark gritty and real and such a wild emotional roller coaster.

I can't even provide you a close second.

So I don't know if naughty dog is just not superior to every other team or if the majority of gaming is stuck creating shit for kids struggling to actually create an adult story.

If this is one of these games that 20 or 30 years from now will be referenced in regards to how different it was than the vast majority.

But regardless of the story I absolutely love the game play the smart artificial intelligence with enemies realizing their friends are missing after you've killed them or even the dog's ability to smell and look for you, down to the destruction of being able to blow someone's knees right off lol

I rarely put something like 90 hours in a game upon release and I rarely play through a game 2 or 3 times so soon after release.

It is one of those ones in a generation type titles.

farmerboy

I will definitely remember this game because of the fact that its leak has actually done some good for the world and people's wallets.
LOL no. I'll never forgive the internet for spoiling this game, because immature cretins couldn't control their impulses.

Joel's death would have hit like a sledgehammer. My greatest gaming regret is I knew it was coming.

Game was too long though and poorly paced in parts. I think it tried to do too much on the narrative front.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Amazing game but sad to think that we've seen nothing since from Naughty Dog or even what they are working on.

True, but that goes for the majority of the industry tbh.

Most of the big AAA games that came out in 2020, a lot of those teams haven't put anything out yet either

(outside of exceptions like Yakuza and FFVII Part 2)

And even then, consider games having to share a lot of the same tech to release on time still take that 4 to 5 years to release.

So I think because they are a cut above most devs, they want all the time to focus on crafting something really different, new etc and not merely a game sharing the same engine, tech or something like that just to get out in 4 years.

So I think we'll see that new IP first since its been worked on longer and then The Last Of Us 3 either ending of this gen or start of the next.

Because of the progressive complexities in gaming, Naughty Dogs game count (along with most of gaming) has went down a ton and we might start seeing 1 new game a generation by some of those top AAA developers ala Rockstar, Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica etc.

Naughty Dog PS1 gen - 4 games
Naughty Dog PS2 gen - 4 games
Naughty Dog PS3 gen- 4 games
Naughty Dog PS4 gen - 2 games.

Hot take (maybe not): 2020 was Sony's peak in terms of exclusive game releases - Dreams, TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-Man Miles Morales, Sackboy, Demon Souls, Iron Man VR, timed exclusives FVII Remake and Persona 5 Royale.

I mean...TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima cam eout 3 weeks apart. That says it all.

TLOU2 is simply a game that when you're playing it you just know it'll take A LOTNG TIME until something is better. Specially the gameplay is something that has barely been surpassed to me. The mix of realism and fun is something they got right and Rockstar missed with RDR2.

True, but that goes for the majority of the industry tbh.

Most of the big AAA games that came out in 2020, a lot of those teams haven't put anything out yet either

(outside of exceptions like Yakuza and FFVII Part 2)

And even then, consider games having to share a lot of the same tech to release on time still take that 4 to 5 years to release.

So I think because they are a cut above most devs, they want all the time to focus on crafting something really different, new etc and not merely a game sharing the same engine, tech or something like that just to get out in 4 years.

So I think we'll see that new IP first since its been worked on longer and then The Last Of Us 3 either ending of this gen or start of the next.

Because of the progressive complexities in gaming, Naughty Dogs game count (along with most of gaming) has went down a ton and we might start seeing 1 new game a generation by some of those top AAA developers ala Rockstar, Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica etc.

Naughty Dog PS1 gen - 4 games
Naughty Dog PS2 gen - 4 games
Naughty Dog PS3 gen- 4 games
Naughty Dog PS4 gen - 2 games.

Most of the main team have been able to show us what they have been working on now, it's depressing that Naughty Dog can't even show us what they've been up the last 4 years. That's part of their own making really; They set the bar so high on the PS4 that is no doubt taking a massive amount of effort , time and money to try and top it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Worst game sequel of all time imo .. I dont think in my lifetime I will see another franchise that will go from my favorite game in part 1 to the absolutely dogshit part 2 was. Thats quite an achievement.

Nicksplat Nickelodeon GIF by Hey Arnold

Underneath all the Abby hate and LGBTQ Olympia it had one of the if not the best gameplay.
I remember the pacing was a bit off but the gameplay was pure cocaine.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Best scene of the game

Everyone hates Abby, but there is no doubt that she was the one with the best scenes and combats when controlling her.

Last edited:

CLW

Gameplay GREAT

Story ABSOLUTE DUMPSTER FIRE to the point where it ruined the IP for me and TLOU 1 is my favorite game of all time

Top Bottom