• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Pt II |OT| Oh Ellie...I think they should be terrified of you

scalman

Really good middle place between large open world and first game. Exploring is so satisfying leaving your mate far away and just hearing how they talk far away silently is great.
But why controller speaker wasnt used this time?

My biggest gripe honestly, and maybe I just didn’t know how to do it, but why did they take away the option to switch from a bottle to a brick if you find one?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
RobinGaming didn't like it and he's finished with ND. He's going to be putting out his final thoughts on the game in the next couple of games and I'm looking forward to it. I've time stamped his initial thoughts to avoid spoilers. His disappointment is palpable and mirrors mine perfectly.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Just had 3 humans come in a room, room was also full of clickers.. Threw a smoke bomb in the middle to wake the clickers up.. And they fucking went crazy and attacked all the soldiers for me... soldiers fought back and killed all but two clickers.. Easy work. Shot those fuckers IN HALF AT THE SAME TIME with ONE shotgun bullet. THEN the motherfuckers started crawling towards me, and I shot them in the head with an arrow. Fucking incredible gameplay.

Last edited:

Keihart

I'm loving the game honestly, writing included. The game is really fiddling with my heart strings and the "plot twits" haven't feel yet forced because if you pay attention, everything is telegraphed with foreshadowing or character building moments. In fact, i feel that if they didn't happen it would feel out of place.
I also like how the events are placed until now, it feels very intentional.

I kinda feel like i'm playing Oldboy.
I'm still dumbfounded by the outrage, can't wait to finish it so i can dive on the outrage thread with the spoilers and finally see what's the real deal.

also:

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

I have a cousin who travels the world and does mountain climbing/hiking for a living and looks almost exactly like Abby.

I'm gonna tell her she needs to seek help cause gamers online said that's not normal. I'll update when I have news.

scalman

My biggest gripe honestly, and maybe I just didn’t know how to do it, but why did they take away the option to switch from a bottle to a brick if you find one?
Yh seems like you can have one or another.
And that comunity was just for show that city. I allways hate when in movies or games instead of surviving alone they go into comunitys and settle down, most boring thing. How much cooler if they would travel alone in world surviving in buildings and such having just each other. Comunitys sucks. Hated when it started happen in walking dead.

Last edited:

TissueBox

I'm loving the game honestly, writing included. The game is really fiddling with my heart strings and the "plot twits" haven't feel yet forced because if you pay attention, everything is telegraphed with foreshadowing or character building moments. In fact, i feel that if they didn't happen it would feel out of place.
I also like how the events are placed until now, it feels very intentional.

I kinda feel like i'm playing Oldboy.
I'm still dumbfounded by the outrage, can't wait to finish it so i can dive on the outrage thread with the spoilers and finally see what's the real deal.

also:

Ahh yes. Deja vu. Earlier, when discussing TLOUPII with some others, we veered into talk of revenge stories in general. Of course, Oldboy had to have a shoutout. It's the extreme 'subversive' angst-ridden genre flick at one of its most powerful and fun shameless displays. (And may even exceed its source material.)

Of course, a lot of what makes Oldboy work is thanks to the amazingly tongue-in-cheek, melodramatic direction, one that puts all of its raw feelings on the table, yet also spins them on a finger with fiendishly effective self-awareness. It's the most balanced of the alleged trilogy it belongs in -- TLOUPII might be more akin to its spiritual successor, Sympathy For Lady Vengeance, if anything. Which is the more grounded, yet somewhat less potent, film (though still an equally intriguing revenge tale). That's in accordance with my believing the narrative in TLOUPII to be a bit scatterbrained, if vividly relayed. ^^'

Last edited:
I’m now 28 hours in and absolutely fucking love this game. I feel the second half is significantly better in every, from the story/characterisation to the utterly insane combat.

Visually it felt a bit samey and underwhelming at times in the first half too, I’m finding myself pretty blown away by the graphics at times in the last 10 or so hours, though I still hope they’ll allow the film grain to be disabled eventually.

I thought the game was dragging at times in the first 10-15 hours I played, but that has long since stopped being the case. It’s actually exceeded my expectations at this point, and I’m not even done yet.

I’m already excited about a second run which I’ll start as soon as I finish my first. This game is absolutely fantastic imho and everything I read about it being a slow burn was spot on.

JimiNutz

Banned
Just finished.

I don't really understand the hate or controversy surrounding the storyline, although I must admit that I preferred the tighter more focused storyline in the original game.

The gameplay however is truly sublime and for me personally makes up for any minor shortcomings in terms of plot or storytelling. I do instantly want to replay through it again despite the game maybe being a little too long and it dragging in some sections. I think that's testament to how well it actually controls and plays.

I hope we don't have to wait much longer for the MP modes/game. I'd love to play a game with these mechanics online against human opponents.

Roni

Man, what a ride... Loved the story, felt so fucking visceral and complex... Just finished the game and I'm really impressed.

Gameplay is ace, much better than the previous entry, which was already great.

Dr. Claus

Banned
RobinGaming didn't like it and he's finished with ND. He's going to be putting out his final thoughts on the game in the next couple of games and I'm looking forward to it. I've time stamped his initial thoughts to avoid spoilers. His disappointment is palpable and mirrors mine perfectly.

When even the biggest Naughty Dog stan around says that he is "done" with Naughty Dog, you know something is up.

This is the same dude that was complaining about ND pushing SjW ProPAGanDa!!!

Dr. Claus

Banned

No. He was discussing on if there is/isn't an agenda (something that Druckmann had stated during a presentation) and if it would be detrimental to the overall experience. Hell, he literally stated he didn't see any agenda until Lost Legacy's social media push by ND. If you are going to criticize someone for their content, at least educate yourself first as it is clear you haven't watched the video.

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

But what if it's not a message at all what if someone just genuinely wanted to write a story where the main characters were lesbians.
I'd hope creators don't begin by saying to themselves, "I want to write a story with a straight person!", and that the character's orientation is not their predominant consideration, at least if it isn't central to the plot. Placing it as the immediate priority is the entire problem. Writers should focus on motivations, values, personalities......not superficial traits.
.....he spoke of an agenda, and he's been 100% vindicated.

Last edited:
No. He was discussing on if there is/isn't an agenda (something that Druckmann had stated during a presentation) and if it would be detrimental to the overall experience. Hell, he literally stated he didn't see any agenda until Lost Legacy's social media push by ND. If you are going to criticize someone for their content, at least educate yourself first as it is clear you haven't watched the video.
I have watched the video. Who are you trying to kid here? Why lie about it?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I've decided against
When even the biggest Naughty Dog stan around says that he is "done" with Naughty Dog, you know something is up.

I'm a huge ND fan and think TLOU is the greatest game ever made. I'm also thinking of skipping ND games from now on because it's clear the agenda has festered in the studio.

It is, and he was right.

Geki-D

Banned
Yeah, sure the "Naughty Dog Agenda" guy who already said he hated the game before it even came out because of the leaks hates the games :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm sorry but if you're someone who has been hating on the game for years and now that it's out and lo & behold you unsurprisingly hate it then your opinion isn't worth shit. Goes for everyone on here, you go in not wanting to give the game a fair shake, you're clearly not going to give it a fair shake.

You think this grifter whose built his channel and audience on hating ND is going to say "Actually, the games is really good and that's all there is to it"? Yeah, no. Not if he wants his clicks & patreon money, he has to pander to the crowd he's cultivated. Get outta here with this disingenuous, transparent shit.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

He is the biggest uncharted/nd fan. I agree with him... The game is extremely well made but it takes ages with each super long cutscene to make very small points across... and the story plainly sucks. Showing baddies in good light don't work. I still hate them, it's forced and blatant.
And the gameplay is mixed bag. Combat is exhilarating but everything else is very slow and simple. The pacing suffers.
It's still a pretty good game to play (like 7 or 8), the graphics and sound are amazing. Animation is crazy but as I am closing to end of the game.... I don't like the story, emotional impact and I am just bored every few hours. The post apocalyptic world in tlou2 somehow lost it's realism compared to 1.
Edit: Maybe I sound too negative. I am still playing the game and it's not bad time. Just disappointing a bit, that's it

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I've decided against

I'm a huge ND fan and think TLOU is the greatest game ever made. I'm also thinking of skipping ND games from now on because it's clear the agenda has festered in the studio.

It is, and he was right.
Exactly. He was right. Nadine added nothing to uc4, left behind made ellie (teen) a gay like if that matters

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah, sure the "Naughty Dog Agenda" guy who already said he hated the game before it even came out because of the leaks hates the games :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm sorry but if you're someone who has been hating on the game for years and now that it's out and lo & behold you unsurprisingly hate it then your opinion isn't worth shit. Goes for everyone on here, you go in not wanting to give the game a fair shake, you're clearly not going to give it a fair shake.

You think this grifter whose built his channel and audience on hating ND is going to say "Actually, the games is really good and that's all there is to it"? Yeah, no. Not if he wants his clicks & patreon money, he has to pander to the crowd he's cultivated. Get outta here with this disingenuous, transparent shit.
What does that have to do with anything? Robin built a channel on ND praise and uncharted love
If You dislike something before release, does that mean it immune to that person criticism ?
if there are leaks that new Batman will be a lizard man, it's still bad when it comes out and turns out he is a lizard man.
The expectation of failure does not lessens it.
The story is not only bad. It's also badly, slowly told and full of agendas imo. I am playing the game now. Bought it with my own money with intent on liking it (and I do to an extent).
Robin only explored the downfall of the studio and it's a fact -they push agendas and most of wrters/developers left/were replaced.

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

Wondered this as well. Odd design change, but you can just toss the bottle to pick up the brick or vice versa.

skneogaf

I'm gutted there isn't a 4k@60fps version of this for the ps5.

It is mind blowing how good some if the graphics and details are.

The 60fps 1080p mode on the remastered the last of us 1 is great but I really don't want to spend another £60 on a future remastered version of 2.

How long was the ps4 out for before the last of us 1 remastered came out?

nowhat

I'm gutted there isn't a 4k@60fps version of this for the ps5.
I mean, we don't know that yet? There should be "PS5 patches" available by the time the console launches, and a high-profile release such as this is likely to receive one I think. I doubt we'll see a "remastered" version, as there's no need for one (TLoU:R was in part done so that Naughty Dog can port their engine to PS4, which was far from trivial, but there will be no as large architectural changes this time around).

ksdixon

Seperate from obvious narrative choices...

Seperate from cutting back and forth to Abbey sections...

The pacing is just whack. Ellie is supposed to be on a revenge mission right now, and she's sat in the music shop on a guitar singing take on me. I'm sat here going wtf?

That's when we actually get to "play" outside of cutscenes or forced walking bits. bits. I feel like by this time in the original game we were at bills town already.

xrnzaaas

The pacing is just whack. Ellie is supposed to be on a revenge mission right now, and she's sat in the music shop on a guitar singing take on me. I'm sat here going wtf?

That's when we actually get to "play" outside of cutscenes or forced walking bits. bits. I feel like by this time in the original game we were at bills town already.
This is actually a very common issue with almost all games, especially the open world rpg's. The world may be ending, you might be on a mission to avenge the death of your loved ones or trying to rescue someone who's been captured, but the characters will always find time to do silly optional stuff because suddenly they aren't in any hurry.

Last edited:
So I'm starting the second half of the game and I'm curious what was leaked that got people so outraged. My guesses are:

1. The interaction Abby has with another character in the early part of the game
2. Abby looks like a dude
3. Liberal amount of on screen lesbianism
4. 1st half final fight sequence
5. ????

Just took a random screenshot and this face scare me more than all of those infecteds lmao.
2puO1h1.jpg

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Yeah the pacing is really weird. There are very long stretches witout actully playing it

Rien

Jelly Belly
Finished it yesterday with 29hrs and 57 minutes on the counter. This was less then 48 hours after I started. I couldnt put the controller down. I think that says it all.

Gameplaywise I think it is brilliant. Played it in hard with all settings on hard and the tention was so fucking good.
Graphics and sound are the best I experienced in a game. Playing with headphones really elevated it.

I didnt read/got spoiled the leaks except for
Joels death a day before launch, Bummer but expected it to happen anyway. Scene reminded me much off the TWD scene with Negan and Glenn. Brutal and a bit over-the-top to get the point across but Okay.

I have to admit that I was taken by surprise that I got to play as Abby and the fact she is transgender was something I have never seen in a game before. I always applaud choices like this in big expensive games. Dont play save, tell the story you want.

I see myself as a progressive person. I have no problems with LGBGT and I fully support them.
I enjoyed the Abby part even more then the Ellie part.
But the moment you got told that Lev was born as a woman it got in the way if being believable for me.
They should have toned down their politics a bit and it would be better for it I think.

Loved it! Story wasnt as good as the first game but gameplay wise it was much better. Will need to do a replay soon

GymWolf

Gold Member
I have to say that the game is a joy to play and llook and i'm even liking the story better than the first one (literally a useless trip with an ultra predictable finale against a trip with a clear purpose and a finale where everything can happen), but the "named enemies" really is a gimmick that lose all his meaning by the time you kill a couple of them, i'm not feeling any worse because sometimes one of the enemy say a single line with " oh they killed amir".

They just yell a name and stay frozen for a couple of seconds, do people in here is actually sad to kill enemies in this game because they have names?

I can't believe journos thought of this like some life altering new features...pussy journalists most probably.

The vocal coordination during gunfights is much more appreciated (still nothing new, fear and other games did this first)

The ia during stealth is still retarded and highly exploitable most of the times (survivor mode), they jist look better becaude of the realistic animations when they look around but they are still fairly retarded.

They still have 1-2 seconds of retard when they find you or before they even shoot you if you are charging with a melee weapon, this retard disappear during firefights where they shoot at you an instant after they see you (most of the times).

I'm at the beginning of seattle day 2, how much i have left? 50% or less?

Last edited:

tassletine

Well to be fair:

She's one of the senior surgeons, volunteered and was only supposed to be driven to the other camp in a car as far as we know. She doesn't go on walking militsry patrols, just takes a calculated risk to travel. The whole walking sequence happens only because they got ambushed on the way.

She's climbing rope, and being acrobatic so it's a clear push to show a strong woman. At the very least they should have given her an athletic build or had her not climbing rope -- or even made something of her pregnancy, like they did with Abby's fear of heights. Being out of breath maybe?
Have you ever tried climbing rope? It's extremely hard-- so to show superhuman abilities when someone is effectively disabled really sticks out. They're definitely virtue signalling on that one. There's no good reason for her to go out except to show that she's tough, which the character does so vocally, when the other characters mention it.

The idea of protecting a pregnant women would have been a nice device. But no, she's just generic 'tough lady' with no real nuance. -- She's just there to make us feel guilty for a cutscene we had no choice over.

Last edited:

Keihart

I have to say that the game is a joy to play and llook and i'm even liking the story better than the first one (literally a useless trip with an ultra predictable finale against a trip with a clear purpose and a finale where everything can happen), but the "named enemies" really is a gimmick that lose all his meaning by the time you kill a couple of them, i'm not feeling any worse because sometimes one of the enemy say a single line with " oh they killed amir".

They just yell a name and stay frozen for a couple of seconds, do people in here is actually sad to kill enemies in this game because they have names?

I can't believe journos thought of this like some life altering new features...pussy journalists most probably.

The vocal coordination during gunfights is much more appreciated (still nothing new, fear and other games did this first)

The ia during stealth is still retarded and highly exploitable most of the times (survivor mode), they jist look better becaude of the realistic animations when they look around but they are still fairly retarded.

They still have 1-2 seconds of retard when they find you or before they even shoot you if you are charging with a melee weapon, this retard disappear during firefights where they shoot at you an instant after they see you (most of the times).

I'm at the beginning of seattle day 2, how much i have left? 50% or less?
I would love for more of this, but it seems hard and no one after MGS and now TLoU2 has expanded on it.
At least in MGS i got to play as the master of stealth and had magic knockout moves, here i feel shitty everytime i leave them screaming in the floor and calling each other names :(...i just wish that you could spare enmies, even if the run away and come back with reinforces.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I’m enjoying it more now. Fair play, the mechanics *are* better and the game can be a blast to play.

It’s a pity the characters are so awful. Ellie is an insufferable teenage. I think I might prefer Abby, at least she doesn’t moan as much.

It’s a pity as they’ve abandoned the horror element - there are moments when the game can almost feel Half-life esque.

And Joel definitely voted Republican.
Dude ellie was an ultra annoying brat in the first game too, i don't understand why people liked her in the first one but not in this one...she is the same edgy teenagers who say fuck or shit every 3 words...

I vastly prefer abby too, i hope tlou3 has her as a protagonist.

Last edited:

Keihart

She's climbing rope, and being acrobatic so it's a clear push to show a strong woman. At the very least they should have given her an athletic build or had her not climbing rope -- or even made something of her pregnancy, like they did with Abby's fear of heights. Being out of breath maybe?
Have you ever tried climbing rope? It's extremely hard-- so to show superhuman abilities when someone is effectively disabled really sticks out. They're definitely virtue signalling on that one. There's no good reason for her to go out except to show that she's tough, which the character does so vocally, when the other characters mention it.

The idea of protecting a pregnant women would have been a nice device. But no, she's just generic 'tough lady' with no real nuance. -- She's just there to make us feel guilty for a cutscene we had no choice over.
You should spoiler that plot point...i'm not that far after that "reveal" but the pregnant girl shows several signs of it before it is even revealed, she starts to get nauseated and runs out of breath faster than Ellie several times before it is revealed.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I would love for more of this, but it seems hard and no one after MGS and now TLoU2 has expanded on it.
At least in MGS i got to play as the master of stealth and had magic knockout moves, here i feel shitty everytime i leave them screaming in the floor and calling each other names :(...i just wish that you could spare enmies, even if the run away and come back with reinforces.
So you killed billions of enemies in other games but jist because they have a single line where they say their name you are sad?

Well the world is beatiful because it's varied someone said...

Keihart

Dude ellie was an ultra annoying brat in the first game too, i don't understand why people liked her in the first one but not in this one...she is the same edgy teenagers whi say fuck or shit every 3 words...

I vastly prefer abby too, i hope tlou3 has her as a protagonist.
Joels says to young Ellie "you know, you really need to stop letting people rile you up"

tassletine

She don’t look like that in the game. In the game she looks like a frog that moonlights as a rabbi on occasion.
Ha! I don't think it's that bad, she looks cool but I was quite surprised that the game has a jewish sidekick with a big nose, who's jewishness is only mentioned in relation the holocaust.
That's very stereotypical, and not in a good way. She has a voice and personality that's so similar to Ellies (who is also very non descript now) it feels just like scoring brownie points.

I think that Druckman actually has no real inkling of what happened in the last 30 years regarding the handling of race in films etc. and I get the real impression he thinks that he's being groundbreaking. This is just tokenism. It wouldn't be such a big deal if he hadn't framed the narrative this way though. I honestly wouldn't give one shit if this was another game (as most writing in games is so bad) but as he's framed it this way, it's hard to ignore.

Top Bottom