• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

meppi

Now add Snatcher for the Sega CD, then I'll be impressed.

Well damn, you got me there. ;)

Just let me quickly throw some things together and try to save some face. ;)

VNsXJCZ.jpg

Shin-Ra

The only missing button prompt that's hard to remember the timing for on Grounded is the melee counter on TRIANGLE.

Has anyone else having a hard time using party chat while in game? I am playing through single player and party chat wont wont anymore unless i shut off the game.

will27

Can anyone confirm whether the Left Behind DLC is available at the menu?

I just don't want to have to re-play the entire game to access it...

What the fuck. I thought the game was coming out only tomorrow but everyone seems to be playing it already. Even the PSN store here in Finland says the release date is July 30th and there's still four hours until the release. Anyway, just started downloading the file. I better be able to play it right away. I don't want to wait until 1 am before I can play this. I want it now!

The game looks great based on all the pics here. I'm so glad I skipped the PS3 version.

kubus

The only missing button prompt that's hard to remember the timing for on Grounded is the melee counter on TRIANGLE.
Fuck I knew something was off when I kept dying to melee encounters. I forgot you have to press triangle sometimes.. When you miss a punch I guess?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I wouldn't know. The picture isn't mine and my digital EU preorder already downloaded doesn't unlock for 5 more hours...

cookie_monster_impatient.gif

If you're going digital why wouldn't you get it from the US store? Its cheaper for one, and you'd be playing it right now.

RedAssedApe

Banned
What's the consensus of 60fps vs 30fps w/improved shadows?

according to digital foundry:

At 60fps the PS4's shadows are already clearer than the PS3's, but admittedly there are still some rough, pixelated spots. Standing your character near a wall exposed to direct sunlight tends to bring out the PS4 remaster's ugly side, but the 30fps toggle resolves this in an instant. At the flip of a switch, aliasing is removed from long straight lines projected onto walls, and more granular shadow details - such as plant-life - become sharp and defined. It's an issue most noticed around the Bill's Town section, where sunlight is at a low angle - though curiously not for shadows produced from the characters torchlight.

However, this comes at a cost besides the frame-rate cap. A shadow glitch is introduced on this setting, removing crucial shadow maps around interior areas. This is most keenly felt while travelling through the warehouses with Bill, where streaks of light line the corners of each room. It's an immersion-breaking glitch that disappears on returning to the 60fps mode; perhaps suggesting that the patch's enhanced 30fps mode could have benefitted from a little more testing. Hopefully this will be resolved in a forthcoming update.

On that note, we'll have to wait and see what happens. From a second play-through of the game at 30fps, we've noticed no other visual differences; textures, ambient occlusion and effects are entirely untouched. Given the massive performance head-room when running at this capped rate, it's tempting to imagine what extras Naughty Dog could have added here without breaking the budget; improved effects, or even super-sampling, for example.

Is Grounded selectable from the start? Thinking about trading in my PS3 copy and finally getting a PS4, but I really don't want to have to play through on a lower difficulty again.

Did they add trophies for the new difficulties?

I think I'll just play this time on Hard and complete everything and go back and try grounded later. It sounds more intense while Hard mode was actually fun.

16BitNova

Cross post.

So i've played through the first 2 hours so far. And I must say that I was still not sure which FPS option I was going to choose even right before starting my play through. I started with the default (60), everything looks and feels great. Shadows look fine. They look like shadows. I switch to 30 fps about an hour in with a good section showcasing some shadows and I must say that there really isn't much of a difference. And then... I move. I walked around with joel and holy shit. The fluidity and even the crisp clean look of things is completely gone. I now honestly can say that this is one of those cases where if it wasn't for threads like these I wouldn't even notice or pay much attention to things like the slight difference in shadows (I know there are cases where its way more noticeable but, I feel these may be rare occurrences) or even that LOD problem with the flashlight and things looking lower res when not pointing directly at it.

There is no going back to 30 once I played with 60. The game just didn't feel right anymore. Nor in my opinion did it look as crisp and as good as before (with 60). Naughty Dog put 60 as default for a reason and I believe they were right in doing so. 60 fps honestly feels like the highlight of this Remaster.

banagher

Did they add trophies for the new difficulties?

I think I'll just play this time on Hard and complete everything and go back and try grounded later. It sounds more intense while Hard mode was actually fun.

Grounded has a trophy for beating it but its not required to platinum the game.

Sephzilla

Never played TLOU the first time around. Grabbed my PS4 copy during lunch break and threw it into my PS4 to install/download/whatever. Now I'm sitting at work waiting, knowing the game is waiting for me.

StuBurns

Banned
Never played TLOU the first time around. Grabbed my PS4 copy during lunch break and threw it into my PS4 to install/download/whatever. Now I'm sitting at work waiting, knowing the game is waiting for me.
In the dream I knew that he was goin' on ahead and he was fixin' to make a fire somewhere out there in all that dark and all that cold, and I knew that whenever I got there he would be there.

Haha, all you guys trying 30fps after playing at 60fps are all like "NOPE". I'm genuinely curious now to see if people who said they will be playing at 30fps (for the better shadows) will keep it there after playing at the default 60fps.

Gavin996

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, all you guys trying 30fps after playing at 60fps are all like "NOPE". I'm genuinely curious now to see if people who said they will be playing at 30fps (for the better shadows) will keep it there after playing at the default 60fps.

After seeing 60fps on videos compared to 30, there is NO WAY I'm picking 30, it looks so smooth.

GavinUK86

As weird as this is going to sound, the locked 30 on this feels worse than the sub 30 on PS3 to me.

Nvzman

I'm having an issue trying to get TLOU:R running with 7.1 surround.
I have the PS4 directly connected to my stereo via optical out, and every game runs perfectly fine in 7.1 except this one. Whenever I go into the audio settings it only gives me 5.1 as the maximum channel under home theater. Is there something I'm supposed to do?

Cross post.

So i've played through the first 2 hours so far. And I must say that I was still not sure which FPS option I was going to choose even right before starting my play through. I started with the default (60), everything looks and feels great. Shadows look fine. They look like shadows. I switch to 30 fps about an hour in with a good section showcasing some shadows and I must say that there really isn't much of a difference. And then... I move. I walked around with joel and holy shit. The fluidity and even the crisp clean look of things is completely gone. I now honestly can say that this is one of those cases where if it wasn't for threads like these I wouldn't even notice or pay much attention to things like the slight difference in shadows (I know there are cases where its way more noticeable but, I feel these may be rare occurrences) or even that LOD problem with the flashlight and things looking lower res when not pointing directly at it.

There is no going back to 30 once I played with 60. The game just didn't feel right anymore. Nor in my opinion did it look as crisp and as good as before (with 60). Naughty Dog put 60 as default for a reason and I believe they were right in doing so. 60 fps honestly feels like the highlight of this Remaster.

I don't mind 30 fps at all if it's what the developer chooses to use in favour of 1080p or other effects to enhance the environment. I can enjoy and love a 30fps game. But if you can give me all that and a bag of chips (60fps) then you better do it. Sounds like TLOU is a good example of that.

Puts on locked 30 to see what it was like.

Ew. Ugh.

*Goes back to 60*

Erection resumes.

After seeing 60fps on videos compared to 30, there is NO WAY I'm picking 30, it looks so smooth.

Holy fuck! My body was not ready for 60fps...

LOL!! I tested it out myself during the intro and was shocked at how noticeable it was. I have played tons of games at 30 or below on consoles and never really felt bothered by it but after tasting this at 60 I definitely can't play it in 30 again. I hope it doesn't ruin future games because I still expect 20-30 to be the average for console games this gen.

Donos

Some "concerned" people in the 30/60 shadows thread seem dead serious about staying with 30 when they get the game. I had no problems playing through it on PS3 but yesterday i watched some 60fps and it was a WTF moment. Looked really strange but awesome. That even from a video. And i'm not in the "60fps or death" for all games camp but the video made the difference pretty obvious.

Top Bottom