• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

K' Dash

I played this whith my brothers PS3 the first time and had to do it FAST, I enjoyed the game but now I'm taking my sweet time to explore and take in the atmosphere.

I have to say I didn't expect this upgrade to look so DAM GOOD, pleasantly surprised.

I hate Stalkers personally

Always in numbers, unpredictable and they sound awful.

Omg yes....most terrifying enemy in the game imo. The way they take cover and peek round corners makes me shit my pants.
I thought I was going to die of a heart attack in the basement section.

So, I'm thinking about purchasing this game, but I'm still unsure, even though it's clear that GAF loves it. Is the gameplay itself tight and fun? If I generally hate QTE's and a story that constantly breaks up gameplay, will I still be able to enjoy this game? Is the multiplayer fun and addictive?

I'm so used to cheap games on Steam that I'm trying reserve my 50-60 dollar buys for games I really want. The thing is, I'm not playing much of anything right now and want to make use of my PS4 until Destiny. Would appreciate some input, thanks.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I played this whith my brothers PS3 the first time and had to do it FAST, I enjoyed the game but now I'm taking my sweet time to explore and take in the atmosphere.

I have to say I didn't expect this upgrade to look so DAM GOOD, pleasantly surprised.
Screens do it no justice. You really need to see this version in motion. It's gorgeous and the animation really shines.

So, I'm thinking about purchasing this game, but I'm still unsure, even though it's clear that GAF loves it. Is the gameplay itself tight and fun? If I generally hate QTE's and a story that constantly breaks up gameplay, will I still be able to enjoy this game? Is the multiplayer fun and addictive?

I'm so used to cheap games on Steam that I'm trying reserve my 50-60 dollar buys for games I really want. The thing is, I'm not playing much of anything right now and want to make use of my PS4 until Destiny. Would appreciate some input, thanks.
There's only about 3 QTEs in the whole game and the cutscenes are pretty spread out. About an hour and a half total in a 20 hour game and the longest one is about 7 minutes. Most storytelling is done in game.

Yama

Obviously the difficulty trophies stack like in the PS3 version, but does beating it on Grounded stack Easy, Normal, Hard and Survivor under it as well?

rafaelr

damn, grounded really makes mobs of runners terrifying enemies. i got through an encounter with 3 clickers ok (thanks to a timely molotov), but i really had a hard time with a group of 5 or 6 runners.

Muffdraul

Clickers are blind but Runners aren't, which is why they have such distinct sounds. I don't think flashlight gets noticed by anyone though.

But generally if an infected gets too close the friendly AI will attack, they can be a little haphazard and annoying.

If you don't break stealth, your AI allies won't attack. If your allies do attack, it means you got spotted. At least, I'm pretty sure that's how it works based on my many playthroughs...

If you don't break stealth, your AI allies won't attack. If your allies do attack, it means you got spotted. At least, I'm pretty sure that's how it works based on my many playthroughs...

Yup, that's my understanding too. I've never had friendly AI attack enemy AI if I'm crouched.

That is how it works. So long as you are in stealth companions won't attack nor break stealth.

Yup, this is my understanding as well. Allies will never do anything unless I'm spotted, even if a clicker is right on top of me.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
iAX5gm8WSR4bk.jpg

kubus

damn, grounded really makes mobs of runners terrifying enemies. i got through an encounter with 3 clickers ok (thanks to a timely molotov), but i really had a hard time with a group of 5 or 6 runners.
Yeah it gets so intense.

What I don't like about Grounded is that there are less checkpoints. So frustrating when you finally think you've cleared a section and then you die in the next area and it spawns you back to the beginning again... But I guess it's part of the challenge.

Just got to the part where
Joel gives Ellie the rifle
. The
hotel basement
was terrible on Grounded. So glad I'm past that.

I don't remember, when you stand underneath running water, did it react with your body like it does on now on PS3? Seeing only Joel's shoulder/side of body getting wet and then water bouncing off is really cool.

Andrew.

Banned
All I did was fully upgrade my crafting and healing speed, sway and health. The silver trophy just popped for being fully upgraded. Interesting.

jakeellis01

So one annoying thing about the visuals...

During the
downtown
part early on, they intentionally jack up the gamma and it washes out the picture to the extreme, dampening what would have been an awesome looking area with correct gamma. Why do devs sometimes do this? It looks awful. Is it supposed to simulate fog or something? As I understand it, this effect isn't used much in the rest of the game thankfully.

Thanks for posting this, I'm at the downtown part too; the brightness/gamma turned all the way up and assumed the PS4 was fuking up, ended up restarting the console several times as the game looked so bad (even worse than the PS3 version). I even restarted the game from the beginning to check if this was an overall game setting, ended up giving up and turned the game off.

When does the 'effect' turn off? Can anyone confirm if this happens again throughout the game? Disappointed :[

rafaelr

What I don't like about Grounded is that there are less checkpoints. So frustrating when you finally think you've cleared a section and then you die in the next area and it spawns you back to the beginning again... But I guess it's part of the challenge.

Just got to the part where
Joel gives Ellie the rifle
. The
hotel basement
was terrible on Grounded. So glad I'm past that.

less checkpoints as well? i´ve been lucky so far with checkpoints and encounters/deaths, but i´m not that far into the game yet. definitely dreading
the basement
also, could it be that clickers on grounded regain partial eyesight?? i was just sitting there... :)

I just discovered this, played my whole PS3 run without knowing about it. God I feel like an idiot.

The amount of little strategies and combos is one of the best things of this game. It's the ultimate weapon against the never-played-before "Well, it only has a good story" crowd.

I've already mentioned how you can get through
the infected-infested tunnel in spring
using only 1-3 arrows. Feels so good.

The amount of little strategies and combos is one of the best things of this game. It's the ultimate weapon against the never-played-before "Well, it only has a good story" crowd.

I've already mentioned how you can get through
the infected-infested tunnel in spring
using only 1-3 arrows. Feels so good.

Can you link me to your comment describing how to do that, please?

Thanks for posting this, I'm at the downtown part too; the brightness/gamma turned all the way up and assumed the PS4 was fuking up, ended up restarting the console several times as the game looked so bad (even worse than the PS3 version). I even restarted the game from the beginning to check if this was an overall game setting, ended up giving up and turned the game off.

When does the 'effect' turn off? Can anyone confirm if this happens again throughout the game? Disappointed :[

Noticed this too. I adjusted my TV settings to compensate. The effect seemed to go away after you finish that part and daylight returns.

I think this is a bug.

I think this is a bug.

It's the same on the PS3 version - I don't know why ND chose to crank the gamma so much in that section, must have felt it was too dark in testing, but I'd really hoped they'd ironed that out in the PS4 version. Doesn't sound like it :( The Syria part of UC3 takes place at a similar time of day, and has absolutely gorgeous night lighting - it's not like the engine's not capable of it.

Arne, any chance of this?

Menaged

how do you perform the insta melee headshot execution again?

You mean like at the end of the E3 walkthrough?
When they beg for their life, one punch away from death, pull your weapon, and it will lock on their head.

Sooo,
I'm in the tunnel towards the Hospital, and apparently I never got the flamethrower, gg
No biggie, just stealth your way through it.
I saw so many enemies that my first instinct was not to alarm them.
I walked all the way to the right inside the building, took out the runners with my bow, and passed silently by the clickers and bloaters. Scary as fuck

kubus

less checkpoints as well? i´ve been lucky so far with checkpoints and encounters/deaths, but i´m not that far into the game yet. definitely dreading
the basement
also, could it be that clickers on grounded regain partial eyesight?? i was just sitting there... :)
Yeah noticed that as well about clickers. You really need to stay far away from them because they can easily spot you on Grounded :(. So far I haven't had much trouble with clickers though, it's the runners that get really dangerous. So deadly.

The
basement
itself isn't so bad per se but there are no checkpoints at all :(. So dying means starting that whole section all over again! That got annoying pretty fast but luckily I glitched into the next area :p. I died while opening the last door but I spawned beyond it! Luckkyyy. Good luck when you get there!

daveo42

Banned
You mean like at the end of the E3 walkthrough?
When they beg for their life, one punch away from death, pull your weapon, and it will lock on their head.

No biggie, just stealth your way through it.
I saw so many enemies that my first instinct was not to alarm them.
I walked all the way to the right inside the building, took out the runners with my bow, and passed silently by the clickers and bloaters. Scary as fuck

That part is both equally fun and scary as fuck all. Like I really need a breather after that section. The funny thing is it is pretty easy to get past too.

Top Bottom