• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

robotrock

Banned
Doing what NeoGAF told me. Playing the game about six inches away from my monitor with headphones on and lights off. Enjoying the game infinitely more than when I played through it last year.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It's the same on the PS3 version - I don't know why ND chose to crank the gamma so much in that section, must have felt it was too dark in testing, but I'd really hoped they'd ironed that out in the PS4 version. Doesn't sound like it :( The Syria part of UC3 takes place at a similar time of day, and has absolutely gorgeous night lighting - it's not like the engine's not capable of it.

Arne, any chance of this?
My TV has undefeatable dynamic contrast, even from the service menu, so that part completely wrecked my display. All the blacks were crushed and everything else was washed out. I need a new TV :/

Mindman

It's the same on the PS3 version - I don't know why ND chose to crank the gamma so much in that section, must have felt it was too dark in testing, but I'd really hoped they'd ironed that out in the PS4 version. Doesn't sound like it :( The Syria part of UC3 takes place at a similar time of day, and has absolutely gorgeous night lighting - it's not like the engine's not capable of it.

Maybe they can clarify why they chose to crank up the gamma in this section? It looks so bad. I'm glad I'm not the only one bothered by it. No one has confirmed if it happens later in the game yet...

Andrew.

Banned
What weapon/weapon stats are worth upgrading in survival mode? Any tips/suggestions? Thanks :)

Both holsters, rifle and bow. Then space it out between both pistols and the shotgun with little dabbles on the diablo and shorty.

Not like you can max it all anyway. The max level toolbox for upgrades isn't even found until close to the end of the game.

I really don't like the zombie design in this game. There are so many times that zombies 20 or more feet away notice me even though its dark and I'm not moving. Also, certain friendly NPCs engage when I'm trying to stealth.

This game is pissing me off.

GIT GUD.

Friendly NPCs only engage when you're no longer unseen.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Playing the game on PS4 and loving it -- the atmosphere, the story, the combat. All of it.

Without getting spoiler-ish, could someone tell me an average playtime of the main game? I heard 20 hours but that sounds too good to be true.

d00d3n

So one annoying thing about the visuals...

During the
downtown
part early on, they intentionally jack up the gamma and it washes out the picture to the extreme, dampening what would have been an awesome looking area with correct gamma. Why do devs sometimes do this? It looks awful. Is it supposed to simulate fog or something? As I understand it, this effect isn't used much in the rest of the game thankfully.

This was very annoying. You start to notice it early in the outskirts area and it gets really bad in the downtown high rise that you have to go through. Lowering the tv brightness makes things better, but a couple of minutes later you have to increase the brightness again to see anything in the museum. The absolutely worst area I have come across is the underground section that you flee to from the capitol building. The combination of darkness, spores and disorienting swimming puzzles made it impossible to understand your surroundings. I had to lower brightness to really low levels to see anything in this section ...

For those of you who have played through the later dark areas in the game (I am in the beginning of Bill's Town): Does this problem with washed out visuals affect all the dark areas in the game?

By the way, does anyone know if this was an issue with the ps3 version as well? I don't remember any such problems from when I played it last summer ...

Hubb

Playing the game on PS4 and loving it -- the atmosphere, the story, the combat. All of it.

Without getting spoiler-ish, could someone tell me an average playtime of the main game? I heard 20 hours but that sounds too good to be true.

20 hours is taking your time. 12-14 is more realistic. If you take your time it can be more.

It's true.

Generally around 16-20 hours.

Can be done in 13 if you're blasting through it on normal though.

My play through took me about 30 hours because I like to explore and the game let me do that without rushing me through it.

D23

This was very annoying. You start to notice it early in the outskirts area and it gets really bad in the downtown high rise that you have to go through. Lowering the tv brightness makes things better, but a couple of minutes later you have to increase the brightness again to see anything in the museum. The absolutely worst area I have come across is the underground section that you flee to from the capitol building. The combination of darkness, spores and disorienting swimming puzzles made it impossible to understand your surroundings. I had to lower brightness to really low levels to see anything in this section ...

For those of you who have played through the later dark areas in the game (I am in the beginning of Bill's Town): Does this problem with washed out visuals affect all the dark areas in the game?

By the way, does anyone know if this was an issue with the ps3 version as well? I don't remember any such problems from when I played it last summer ...

Wow I thought I was the only noticing this. It's so annoying. I have to lower the brightness cause it looks so washed out

My first play took me 16 or 17 hours. Exploring lots, taking my time. But I played on normal and didn't spend too much dying or struggling. I would say 15 is probably minimum unless you rush through. 20 seems a bit long

Saiyan-Rox

UK GAF I just went into tesco and they had this on The shelf's ready to buy now I didn't cause I have it digitally but it was 38£

daveo42

Banned
My first play took me 16 or 17 hours. Exploring lots, taking my time. But I played on normal and didn't spend too much dying or struggling. I would say 15 is probably minimum unless you rush through. 20 seems a bit long

My first playthough was around 18 hours. Survivor+ lasted me closer to 20. It all depends on how people pace themselves, how they approach combat, and if they take their time during the slower portions of the game. I know I could probably just walk around some of the environments just to enjoy them.

Except (early-ish spoiler)
Pittsburg proper.

If I change the difficulty a few hours in from normal to hard, can I go back after beating the game and replay the few chapters on hard to get the trophy?

Hubb

If I change the difficulty a few hours in from normal to hard, can I go back after beating the game and replay the few chapters on hard to get the trophy?

I'm 99.99% sure that it keeps track of which chapters you beat on what difficulty. I don't see why it wouldn't work. Just make sure when you switch you switch at the start of a chapter.

Muffdraul

I never noticed it in the PS3 version, but I sure noticed it last night. I'm jumping to the conclusion that it must be worse in the PS4 version.

I never noticed it in the PS3 version, but I sure noticed it last night. I'm jumping to the conclusion that it must be worse in the PS4 version.

office-space-jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

Can you link me to your comment describing how to do that, please?

Oh, I mentioned it but didn't detail it. Here it goes:

In the bus stop area with multiple tents (before Ellie gives the photo of Sarah to Joel) there're 1-2 arrows in a shelf somewhere. Take them.

In the tires of a car a few dozen meters before the tunnel there are also 1-2 arrows. Take Them.

As soon as you enter the tunnel, stay crouched and keep hugging the right wall. (Side note: I think there's some Flamethrower ammo around that part) You'll soon see a crying/sleeping runner blocking a very narrow gap to the second area of the tunnel: headshot him with an arrow and proceed.

You'll now be in the flooded area with multiple clickers. Keep on the right side and jump over the rail to head towards the room. There will be 3 sleeping/crying runners in a narrow corridor. Those you can strangle if you are careful, and won't alert the others. You only need to strangle 2 if you don't want the loot in the other room.

Turning left, you'll find yourself on the third and last area, with clickers, two bloaters and 2 runners. Headshot the closest one, slowly navigate around the clickers to get a better shot of the last runner on the left side of the tunnel (without getting too close), arrow headshot him, climb the platform he was leaning against, follow it slowly while having bye to the two unaware bloaters, and approach the truck where Ellie will drop the crate for you. Climb it, get over the truck, and ta-da! You'll only have spent a max of three arrows if they all broke, and possibly none at all!

Edit: beaten by Menaged, d'oh

Kayant

Wasn't sure if thread worthy but I found these interesting. Thanks to playstationlifestyle. So this was done in 5 months then??

"This was a little bit like Christmas, in the sense that you get to spend five months exclusively working on engineering problems," says Gyrling. "That was wonderful, but from a business standpoint it just makes so much sense to tackle all the difficulties of shipping on a new platform with an already made game." Shekar readily agrees: "Shipping this game means that Uncharted 4 will not be our first PS4 game. The first game on a new platform is very difficult to do, and now we've already done that."

Apt101

I missed out on this on PS3. Man, it is crazily good. I can't stop playing, and I honestly haven't felt this way about a game in a long time.

What are the stalkers again? I only remember the clickers, bloaters and the runners...

Stalkers are the disgusting motherfuckers that are not quite clickers, but further gone than runners. They run from cover to cover and peek around corners and attack unpredictably.
They appear in the basement section, and in the sewer section - they swarm you in the makeshift camp.

Played the intro today while sick. Took me about an hour as I kept taking screenshots and playing with photomode. Actually started playing the game and finally threw up. Stupid sickness.

Damn the upgrades are awesome. I was skeptical when analyzing screenshots (I have a decent BenQ monitor) but when this game is ran through my calibrated S60 panny it is a legitimate visual orgasm.

They're the stage between runner and clicker. Fast, smart, and hide a lot. You encounter them
in the hotel basement and the sewers

Stalkers are the disgusting motherfuckers that are not quite clickers, but further gone than runners. They run from cover to cover and peek around corners and attack unpredictably.
They appear in the basement section, and in the sewer section - they swarm you in the makeshift camp.
Huh, I remember the
basement and sewer sections
, but my memory is telling me they were simply just runners since they
pretty much just ran at me. I definitely don't remember them peaking around corners or anything
...I guess I don't remember as much as I thought I did lol. Exciting :D

TEH-CJ

Banned
Guys just a question. In Grounded mode do the enemies die just as quick as Joel? that would be fantastic if thats the case.

What are the stalkers again? I only remember the clickers, bloaters and the runners...

Yeah at first I thought they were runners, too. But
they have a bit more fungusy protrusions, and their schtick is they will hide around things and usually only rush you when you're not facing them, all 'clever girl' like. You only encounter them twice in the game though; the basement in Pittsburgh, and the Sewers.

Oh, I mentioned it but didn't detail it. Here it goes:

Thanks for taking the time out to type that, I appreciate it. I'm sure it will come in handy.

Huh, I remember the
basement and sewer sections
, but my memory is telling me they were simply just runners since they
pretty much just ran at me. I definitely don't remember them peaking around corners or anything
...I guess I don't remember as much as I thought I did lol. Exciting :D

Yeah, it may just be fear creating false memories, lol...but I remember them peeking around corners to see where you were. *Shrugs*

Cudder

Ohh, the guys in the hospital basement. They are freaky as hell. They'll actually trick you by running around objects and keep you guessing as to which side they'll run out from.

d00d3n

Stalkers/
that section in the sewer with them is the hardest shit in the game for me

I guess it depends on what difficulty setting you are using, but on "normal" it was trivial to stand exactly where you enter the room and shoot them with the shotgun when they rush you. It takes time for all of them to come to you, but it is not necessary to move into the "maze portion" of the room at all.

I guess it depends on what difficulty setting you are using, but on "normal" it was trivial to stand exactly where you enter the room and shoot them with the shotgun when they rush you. It takes time for all of them to come to you, but it is not necessary to move into the "maze portion" of the room at all.

This is what I did, but with a hunting rifle and a molotov. Fuck going out into the hallways with those guys lurking around. I'm way too much of a pussy to do that XD

LegendX48

I take it back, Grounded decided to crank it to 11 after I spoke of it being not that bad >.>

That and I've had some of my best runs ever on Grounded which I find kinda odd all things considered.

less checkpoints as well? i´ve been lucky so far with checkpoints and encounters/deaths, but i´m not that far into the game yet. definitely dreading
the basement
also, could it be that clickers on grounded regain partial eyesight?? i was just sitting there... :)

Nah, was like that on Survivor, and possibly the other difficulties, iirc. I always assumed it's related to how they see with sound. Sound waves bounce back faster indicating something is there so they go apeshit lol

Duallusion

Damn. I should try that - I posted the same problem as well. Have my PS4 going HDMI into my TV, then optical out to my receiver. Game only detects 2.0 - i wonder if it thinks its just outputting to my TV.

Will try running HDMI through my receiver to my TV instead and see if that fixes it

You have/had optical out of PS4 or out of TV? I might be mistaken but most TVs downmix to stereo in these kind of setups.

Top Bottom