• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Gaz_RB

I guess it depends on what difficulty setting you are using, but on "normal" it was trivial to stand exactly where you enter the room and shoot them with the shotgun when they rush you. It takes time for all of them to come to you, but it is not necessary to move into the "maze portion" of the room at all.

Haha should have specified Survivor mode. Ain't got no ammo!

Easy-Hard is really easy to me at this point, having played it a ton.

I take it back, Grounded decided to crank it to 11 after I spoke of it being not that bad >.>

That and I've had some of my best runs ever on Grounded which I find kinda odd all things considered.

Nah, was like that on Survivor, and possibly the other difficulties, iirc. I always assumed it's related to how they see with sound. Sound waves bounce back faster indicating something is there so they go apeshit lol

Their AI patterns tend to drift towards the player when they are close enough as well.

You have/had optical out of PS4 or out of TV? I might be mistaken but most TVs downmix to stereo in these kind of setups.

Optical out of TV, all my devices into the TV. And do they? I had no idea...my receiver only has 3 HDMI passthroughs but I have 4 things hooked up to my TV. Could it be that I'm not listening to anything in 5.1!?!?

I guess it depends on what difficulty setting you are using, but on "normal" it was trivial to stand exactly where you enter the room and shoot them with the shotgun when they rush you. It takes time for all of them to come to you, but it is not necessary to move into the "maze portion" of the room at all.

On Survivor, and ESPECIALLY Grounded, I became aware of the difference between Stalkers and Runners. In the sewers I was forced to enter the "maze" because they just wouldn't come at me as long as I was looking in the direction of the cover they were taking. I did manage to trick some out by purposefully giving my back to them, and doing a "gotcha!" RE4 quick turn once I heard they coming.

Duallusion

Optical out of TV, all my devices into the TV. And do they? I had no idea...my receiver only has 3 HDMI passthroughs but I have 4 things hooked up to my TV. Could it be that I'm not listening to anything in 5.1!?!?

I was just recently reading up on this when I was buying "surround" headphones and it was said that most TVs don't pass-through DD/DTS signal through optical out when that signal is coming from another device. Unless you have one of those rare TVs that do, you basically have to buy an audio splitter and connect as many as possible directly to the receiver. I'm not an expert thought so might be wrong on this.

Vashetti

Banned

Your devices should be going into your receiver through HDMI, and then one HDMI from the receiver to the TV.

I've heard the same, connecting 'em all to the TV and sending the audio out through optical downmixes. Not 100% though.

Your devices should be going into your receiver through HDMI, and then one HDMI from the receiver to the TV.

I've heard the same, connecting 'em all to the TV and sending the audio out through optical downmixes. Not 100% though.

This is how I used to have it - but I have my PC hooked up to my TV as well, and I ran into issues with games where my resolution options were limited because my AV receiver was being used as the "display" device, and it would only give me 720p in some games.

I did a quick google search and results are all over the place. Some people say some TVs will pass through 5.1, others say they downmix or only put out stereo.

I guess I could switch my PS4/PS3/Cable box into my AV receiver and just leave my PC running direct into the TV.

Gonna experiment with it tonight.

Thanks for taking the time out to type that, I appreciate it. I'm sure it will come in handy.

No problem. There's also a handy guide for getting through the sniper part with little to no ammo usage. I'm going to admit that I searched out that one on the internet after spending one hour and thiry minutes just dying and dying again on my Grounded playthrough because the game's economy decided to flip me the bird and I got there with 2 9mm rounds, 1 rifle round, 1 revolver round, and nothing else.

It mostly consists of tricking the 4-5 dudes the sniper sends into going up a hill to look for you, jump out when they get close, and just run like a madman towards the backyard of the house the sniper's in, and up straight to his room (the guy in the kitchen takes a second or two to start shooting due to his surprise in seeing you, you can just sprint through).

Vashetti

Banned
This is how I used to have it - but I have my PC hooked up to my TV as well, and I ran into issues with games where my resolution options were limited because my AV receiver was being used as the "display" device, and it would only give me 720p in some games.

I did a quick google search and results are all over the place. Some people say some TVs will pass through 5.1, others say they downmix or only put out stereo.

I guess I could switch my PS4/PS3/Cable box into my AV receiver and just leave my PC running direct into the TV.

Gonna experiment with it tonight.

Also, optical only gives you SD audio, HDMI gives you compatibility with all the HD audio formats.

Going through tough times, my wife is very sick, has a nasty diabetes that is tough to combat, so she is having complications of diabetes, a diabetic neuropathy among other stuff, so I had to change Doctor and spend all of my money on medical stuff, I hope that we are on the right curse.

When this storm goes TLOUR will be mine. After I finish the SP I am going to try MP, the 60fps could have a big effect on the MP and maybe it ends up as my go to MP game, I am not that much into MP, I prefer to spend most of my time in SP games.

Anyone posted this here yet? (Spoilers for outdated TLoU script)

BtuERvmCQAALbQu.jpg:large

Apparently during the first few brainstorms
(in the ones where Tess was still the villain and the big Play-As-Ellie moment was getting to Joel and killing her at the last second, which I thought was so badass)
, the game began on late-winter and still ended on spring. Among other things, it included San Francisco as a final vista.

I wish we could have had both visions of TLoU. *dreams*

H denotes Human/Hunter encounters, M denotes Infected (Monsters) encounters.

Namikaze1

I had forgotten how good the brick is.
#TeamBrick

Currently playing it in hard mode. It took half of Summer for me to get used to the PS4 control setup. I surprised myself with how well I remember the PS3 control setup. Especially since the last time I played the game was ten months ago.

woen

I would like to take my time while playing the game but it's hard to know what are the boundaries of the world and the paths on your first run. The rules and the knowledge of them are not explained to the player, who fear the gunfights/enemy areas...so he (or a least myself) rushes through the levels and tries to discover the world through the photo mode or some paths he knows are peaceful. Remove the gunfights from the game and I'll still be happy to play it.

someday

Banned
I played this game on Normal on PS3, and I only played it once. It seemed...not that easy...at the time so I had no desire to play it on Hard. I think a lot of it was just being scared of the infected lol. So now I'm playing the Remaster on Normal and it's really easy so I think I'm going to just start over on a harder difficulty.

Can anyone explain the differences in the difficulties (Hard, Survivor, Grounded) or link to something that I can read? I might try Survivor instead but I'm not sure if I'm ready to do it without Listening mode. Something about the Infected just freaks me out. I'm kind of a wuss with this type of game but I still prefer a bit more of a challenge.

psychotron

The insane jaggies when using your flashlight in the
museum
is insane. I know it was a technique used on PS3 but damn!!

Yeah, I too played the main game on PS3 on normal and decided to go as realistic as possible this time. Well, that was my hope at least. I don't think I can hack it on Grounded. It's just not that fun to me to restart constantly, especially in this sort of game where it means hearing a lot of NPC dialog more than once and having to wait for positions to be taken, etc.

Last night and today I played through Left Behind (on normal), and I have to say it was utterly fantastic. This game just has so much damn heart and the acting (/animation/modeling) is so good that I feel that it sits at the pinnacle of interactive story telling.

Now it's time for some multiplayer! It will be my first taste of that as well, since I really only played the main game on PS3.

Oh, I also decided to check out 30fps mode to see if I could tell a difference in the shadows first hand and holy shit. I do not remember it feeling like this. When I move the camera it seems jerky as hell. Is this really normal? I do not remember it feeling so janky on PS3, but maybe it was and it's just seeing it in direct comparison.

I didn't see if anyone posted this yet but I just turned on my ps4 and got an update for the headset app. TLOU profile is added!! Gonna load it up now. :)

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but the PS4 headset app has updated with a preset for TLOU. Going to load that into my PS Golds.

I see it was posted. I am glad everybody is on that. :) Time to check it out for myself.

There is more people playing multiplayer on ps4 then ps3. Wow

To be expected tbh, all those day 1 buyers.

MP should now get the attention it deserves. Imagine TLOU 2, where they are likely going to take the MP up another level of awesomeness. Could be an insane package if the single player is on the same level as the first.

Namikaze1

Quick question:

Are you guys' PS4s sounding like a jet engine when playing this game? Mine goes into jet engine mode when I'm playing this game yet when I played Lego Marvel, Injustice, and Tomb Raider, it's quiet like it normally is.

Hubb

Quick question:

Are you guys' PS4s sounding like a jet engine when playing this game? Mine goes into jet engine mode when I'm playing this game yet when I played Lego Marvel, Injustice, and Tomb Raider, it's quiet like it normally is.

Some people have said it is very loud. Mine does get louder than normal but hardly what I'd consider a jet engine.

EDIT: Mine seems the worst when I first start up the game and the disk is spinning. But overall much better than what I was used to on the PS3.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Ok... the grounded check point system is a little too unforgiving.... I do 20 minutes of work and go through 3 sections in one area and it's all the way back to area one after one miss step. It's really starting to piss me off.

DieH@rd

Banned
I finished game once on PS3 [normal, listen mode on], but my second playthrough on PS4 [hard, no listen] is so much better!

I just finished that E3 demo area, and my journey so far has been full of adrenaline. I'm always on the verge of just having enough ammo and resources, its amazing. And PS4 renders the game in awesome way, world looks amazing, and I never noticed any framedrops or any shadow problems.

The part in the subway after capital building is hands down awful looking. I don't know who approved of the way it looked, reminded me of fog from PS1 games to shorten the draw distance. And the game felt sluggish. Besides that part the game has been amazing.

Quick question:

I don't own a PS4 but from what I've read about its usual noise emissions I'm guessing its Jet Mode is roughly equivalent to my PS3 Slim's idle noise =P

Question-

Not sure how far into the game I am, game clock is at 6:40.

Just got ambushed while driving the truck. In a big wearhouse now with trying to allude these gang members.

Is it possible to stealth kill these guys without alerting the others? I'm trying to figure out if I'm fucking up or if they eventually see the dead bodies and start searching for me regardless

Question-

Not sure how far into the game I am, game clock is at 6:40.

Just got ambushed while driving the truck. In a big wearhouse now with trying to allude these gang members.

Is it possible to stealth kill these guys without alerting the others? I'm trying to figure out if I'm fucking up or if they eventually see the dead bodies and start searching for me regardless

I want to say around a third of the way.

So there actually waves of enemies that eventually show up that aren't on the map at the start?

I usually go in with the intent of using stealth and sneaking by but the game keeps nudging me towards combat. Just getting a feel for the most effective way to play. Thanks for the response

So there actually waves of enemies that eventually show up that aren't on the map at the start?

I usually go in with the intent of using stealth and sneaking by but the game keeps nudging me towards combat. Just getting a feel for the most effective way to play

Yeah, the game brings up the L3 indicator the show them jumping over a wall or something.

The part in the subway after capital building is hands down awful looking. I don't know who approved of the way it looked, reminded me of fog from PS1 games to shorten the draw distance. And the game felt sluggish. Besides that part the game has been amazing.

Yeah, the fog seemed much thicker than I remembered it being on the PS3. It was just a horrible smudge.

d00d3n

The brightness/gamma issues are real, ND. Do something about this horrible bug. This is what some gaf users have to say about the issues:

During the
downtown
part early on, they intentionally jack up the gamma and it washes out the picture to the extreme, dampening what would have been an awesome looking area with correct gamma. Why do devs sometimes do this? It looks awful. Is it supposed to simulate fog or something? As I understand it, this effect isn't used much in the rest of the game thankfully.

I think this is a bug.

Noticed this too. I adjusted my TV settings to compensate. The effect seemed to go away after you finish that part and daylight returns.

I'm at the downtown part too; the brightness/gamma turned all the way up and assumed the PS4 was fuking up, ended up restarting the console several times as the game looked so bad (even worse than the PS3 version). I even restarted the game from the beginning to check if this was an overall game setting, ended up giving up and turned the game off.

When does the 'effect' turn off? Can anyone confirm if this happens again throughout the game? Disappointed :[

This is true. I could barely see anything during that section.

Wow I thought I was the only noticing this. It's so annoying. I have to lower the brightness cause it looks so washed out

I never noticed it in the PS3 version, but I sure noticed it last night. I'm jumping to the conclusion that it must be worse in the PS4 version.

You start to notice it early in the outskirts area and it gets really bad in the downtown high rise that you have to go through. Lowering the tv brightness makes things better, but a couple of minutes later you have to increase the brightness again to see anything in the museum. The absolutely worst area I have come across is the underground section that you flee to from the capitol building. The combination of darkness, spores and disorienting swimming puzzles made it impossible to understand your surroundings. I had to lower brightness to really low levels to see anything in this section ...

Top Bottom