• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

REV 09

About 6 hours in sp and played a bit of mp. The story is very good, but this is not a fun game to play. It's not terrible, but the clickers are just a chore to fight. The need to play stealth almost all the time is kind of a slog too. I find myself enjoying the game most when Joel and Ellie are just walking around talking. I'll stick with it. Kinda surprised at the seemingly unanimous love though.

Vire

About 6 hours in sp and played a bit of mp. The story is very good, but this is not a fun game to play. It's not terrible, but the clickers are just a chore to fight. The need to play stealth almost all the time is kind of a slog too. I find myself enjoying the game most when Joel and Ellie are just walking around talking. I'll stick with it. Kinda surprised at the seemingly unanimous love though.

What difficulty are you on? Because you most certainly don't have to stealth all the time unless it's Grounded or Survival.

Clickers can be taken out easily with a variety of weapons. The bow headshot being the best, followed by the shotgun and then a makeshift scissor pipe. If all else fails you can craft a shiv to to stealth them.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I love how this is one of those games with several points that you can just vaguely say a location and everyone will know EXACTLY what part of the game you're talking about. I just got to the basement. Goddamn at this part. Every time. Every. Single. Time.

Can I go from survivor mode to hard and still get the hard trophy? The game just isn't fun on survivor

Yes. Hard isn't much different from Normal either.

ClearData

Starting off on grounded mode may have been a bit foolish, but damn does it feel good to ghost a room full of clickers or hunters.

When I find a shiv or a bullet I cry everytime.

What difficulty are you on? Because you most certainly don't have to stealth all the time unless it's Grounded or Survival.

Clickers can be taken out easily with a variety of weapons. The bow headshot being the best, followed by the shotgun and then a makeshift scissor pipe. If all else fails you can craft a shiv to to stealth them.

I usually don't even engage Clickers. Why kill anything you can completely avoid?

The game isn't paced as well in the early stages - stick with it, it really kicks up soon.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
You don't have to stealth if you don't want to. Molotovs can easily take out a group of Clickers for instance.

There's usually multiple ways to handle any given situation depending on your style, that's the beauty of it.

REV 09

On Hard, maybe I'm playing too defensively. I feel like the game punishes you for going on offense.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Put some hours into Grounded mode and I am now convinced this is the best way to experience The Last Of Us.

Not only do you die from 1 or 2 bullets but so do your enemies, Resources are scarce, It is just surviving with instinct.

also it feels a lot better that the enemies are not bullet sponges. 1 shot to the chest and dead. The way it should be in a game like this.

ClearData

On Hard, maybe I'm playing too defensively. I feel like the game punishes you for going on offense.

On the higher difficulties I tend to not tussle often/at all. But if you go at it with a clicker try to stun with a brick or bottle followed by a strong melee weapon or immediately press the aim button for a quick auto targeted head shot. Not my play style, but an option.

Elitist1945

Put some hours into Grounded mode and I am now convinced this is the best way to experience The Last Of Us.

Not only do you die from 1 or 2 bullets but so do your enemies. Resources are scarce. It is just surviving with instinct.

also it feels a lot better that the enemies are not bullet sponges. 1 shot to the chest and dead. The way it should be in a game like this.

This is how I've been playing it. Now I don't remember whether it comes with Grounded, or if I just went into the Options - but I love playing it HUDless, without a reticle. Ultimate realism. So satisfying.

ClearData

Not only do you die from 1 or 2 bullets but so do your enemies. Resources are scarce. It is just surviving with instinct.

Really? A clicker ate 4 bullets from my hand gun and kept coming with 1 shot to the head and 3 in the chest. Weird.

Gator86

Not only do you die from 1 or 2 bullets but so do your enemies, Resources are scarce, It is just surviving with instinct.

Grounded is definitely the definitive last of us experience. I just wish the melee was a little more reliable. Swing a pipe at someone and having them brush it off then insta-kill you can feel kind of cheap. Aside from that, it's stellar. The complete lack of a HUD and high damage makes it an incredibly tense experience.

Vire

Anyone have some tips on Grounded mode for the part where you are
with Sam alone and there's a ton of infected?

I've been stuck here for a good while with just two bullets to start with.

Jerkson

Banned

If you have a melee you can toss a bottle/brick at a clicker and one shot them with your melee. It's very satisfying.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Clickers are actually at their hardest in the early game, but it's easier once you get the shotgun.

Otherwise, some good things are

-Toss a bottle somewhere where multiple clickers will run at it, then molotov/bomb them
-Bow headshots are silent
-Throw a brick at them and rush them with a melee weapon for an instant kill

I would personally save shivs and not stealth kill them with it. One of the Joel upgrades lets you use a shiv defensively if they grab you which I would go for. I play pretty offensively on hard.

ClearData

I hate that area with a passion. I still haven't beat it in the higher difficulty modes.

Is it impossible to get all the shiv doors on survivor? About to reach Bill and I've only been able to craft 2. Used one on a door and the other to kill that Clicker at the end of the subway which I'm pretty sure you have to do.

lantus

Can I go from survivor mode to hard and still get the hard trophy? The game just isn't fun on survivor

Yeah, I think that's what they were going for when they locked higher difficulties on NG+ runs. They want you to struggle during your first play-through on higher difficulties, hence the names. I started on Survivor too and it has been pretty tough, but not unbearably hard. I'm still enjoying playing it.

EDIT: Once you get a good amount of upgrades to your guns and supplements for Joel, things get much easier to handle.

Pimpwerx

Played 3hrs. Haven't gotten back to it yet. It's not terribly compelling so far, but I'm not too far. I enjoyed Uncharted more so far. PEACE.

Really? A clicker ate 4 bullets from my hand gun and kept coming with 1 shot to the head and 3 in the chest. Weird.

He means human enemies without vests. An unarmored human can die with just one revolver shot to the torso.

Runners need 2, or 3 9mm pistol shots. Clickers require even more, because Clickers.

Two bullets? Jesus... You can turn your back to the stalkers and do a quick turn when you hear them coming: when you drop one he'll drop ammo. If it's still too little, repeat this while slowly advancing whenever a particular area is cleared. Prefer walking towards areas where only one or two stalkers will come after you, preferably in a way they can't flank.

But yeah, you're pretty fucked right now D=

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Some sections in grounded mode are fucking brutal. I had to quit before I lost my temper at the
Bloater
. Just fuck this thing. :|

Dolobill

I have to agree with this. I'm probably 6 or 7 hours in. 90% of the game for me is running around, searching any corner for literally anything, since ammo is so scarce. Gunplay is what you'd expect, but melee combat is pretty bad and janky. Melee is just mashing square until you can smash an enemy against a wall. There's no way to deal with multiple enemies in melee combat.

Stealth mechanics are pretty lame too. It just amounts to staying crouched all the time, avoiding sight lines and doing silent takedowns. The only other stealth mechanic I'm aware of is distracting enemies using bottles.

The game doesn't do a good job of explaining things either and so much has to be learned through trial and error. So clickers can't be defeated with hand to hand combat, ok fine. I then discover I can kill them with a brick... but it wasn't until several failed attempts later that I realize this must only be possible when they're not aware of you. It's not explained or even logical.

It's definitely the most cinematic game I've ever played and I'm sure the story is wonderful, but I don't think it's a very fun game. I enjoyed Uncharted much more (although I think even Uncharted is pretty overrated). If I still had the Destiny Beta right now I would be playing that instead...

taizuke

Make every shot count. Use anything and everything you have and try not to miss and hope you get some good ammo after each kill.

It's kind of a trial and error situation.

When I played through the game the first time last summer, I got through
the basement in one try without even seeing the bloater. My survivor run right now did not turn out the same. Thankfully I had a left over molotov that kept it occupied long enough to try the door- and fail. I jumped off the ledge as it was shooting spores at me, did a quick loop around, beat the fuck out of a stalker with a lead pipe, and walked out smoothly.

I kind of feel like I'm cheating by exploiting the fact that Ellie will give you a health pack between every major fight if you don't make one yourself. I haven't crafted a health pack yet this play through, because the only time it makes sense to pick it over a molotov is in the heat of battle with your health drained, and at that point, it's usually better to die and try another approach that doesn't kill you so easily.

The difference 60 fps makes for this game reenergized my excitement for this game just like my first time through. Finding it hard to put down, and feel genuinely hooked on the multiplayer this go around. I'm gonna make this Platinum happen this time.

Vire

Make every shot count. Use anything and everything you have and try not to miss and hope you get some good ammo after each kill.

It's kind of a trial and error situation.

He means human enemies without vests. An unarmored human can die with just one revolver shot to the torso.

Runners need 2, or 3 9mm pistol shots. Clickers require even more, because Clickers.

Two bullets? Jesus... You can turn your back to the stalkers and do a quick turn when you hear them coming: when you drop one he'll drop ammo. If it's still too little, repeat this while slowly advancing whenever a particular area is cleared. Prefer walking towards areas where only one or two stalkers will come after you, preferably in a way they can't flank.

But yeah, you're pretty fucked right now D=

I did it, I was just about ready to give up and call it a night.

Headshotted a clicker with the shotgun pistol and then punched down three or so runners. Made my way to the lift up point and none of the other infected followed!

Hell yes!

REV 09

Choking out people still bothers me. The way they scratch and wheeze at Joel gives me chills.
Wish there were varied animations for this and the way Ellie acts shocked every time you do it is kind of annoying too...like has she not been paying attention to how we've been messing people up for the past 5 hours?

lantus

So just started watching the Giantbomb quick look for this game and had to stop 5 minutes in. I know everyone likes to rail on Brad about how he sucks at games that aren't Dota, but man. It feels like he doesn't even pay attention half the time. :/ I don't want to sound to critical about it, but that was a kind of eye opening.

ClearData

Wish there were varied animations for this and the way Ellie acts shocked every time you do it is kind of annoying too...like has she not been paying attention to how we've been messing people up for the past 5 hours?

Lol. I don't want to spoil anything, but be patient with her.

taizuke

I did it, I was just about ready to give up and call it a night.

Headshotted a clicker with the shotgun pistol and then punched down three or so runners. Made my way to the lift up point and none of the other infected followed!

Hell yes!

Congrats!

Make sure to save some ammo for that part on your Grounded + run.

Btw, same approach to
David's

milkham

have you tried just running for the ladder?

edit: too late

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Is it impossible to get all the shiv doors on survivor? About to reach Bill and I've only been able to craft 2. Used one on a door and the other to kill that Clicker at the end of the subway which I'm pretty sure you have to do.
With that particular Clicker, you can just lure it away from it's position with a brick/bottle.

It's definitely possible to unlock all the doors in one go on Survivor, but after using a shiv on that clicker, the chances have dropped dramatically. Every little scrap of blade and binding counts. Luckily, you can just unlock the ones you missed the first time around in NG+.

Ellite25

Alright guys, I'm getting the game Friday and I want to know, is Grounded mode so hard that I'm going to want to quit part way through?

I've already played through the game on PS3 and I'm contemplating Grounded mode to change it up a bit. I'm worried it's going to be too difficult and I'll regret if. If not Grounded, what would you guys suggest?

Dominator

I'm at a point where I had to turn off photo mode so I can continue with the game. I was stopping about every 2 minutes to try to take a cool picture and I can't play the game like that lol.

I've played it already on PS3 but I'll use my second playthough to take pictures.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Alright. This game is white hot fire.
The combat is still giving me issues. But I've played far enough to see how varied the environments are and how quickly paced it is. Most of my complaints about linearity and lack of agency are pretty much muted in comparison the mastery on display.

I'm at the part
in the beginning of the tipped over skyscraper. Basically the very first encounter with clickers. I mean, I'm past the very first counter but thats the section of the game I'm at.
I just died like 5 times in a row by accidentally triggering runners. Which was lame. Much more satisfying to play completely stealthily. But yeah, the quantity of assets is to die for. It feels like HL2 where you're just going from one ridiculously detailed environment to the next.

I never would have guessed it but the last of us is pretty good.

Top Bottom