• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

stryke

Guys, there's a section in Bills town where Ellie asks Joel if he has a minute and he says no. What did I do to miss that convo? I think I remember getting it my first playthrough. Also, what was said? Use spoiler tags!

IIRC She apologises about what happened with Tess to get it off her chest

amar212

I have just got professional EyeOne calibrator hardware and I intend to test everything.

I will test PS3 and PS4 games in the new profiled mode becuase this gamma situation is killing my complete immersion.

Great discussions about the gamma and plasma issues in past pages, maybe we should make separate thread to collect impressions and thoughts and gove the subject a bit of highlight?

Cloudy

Banned
I missed a shiv door in Bills town, Can I just play that section in chapter select, get it and quit back to the menu?

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
so...once again where I can access the DLC stuff that came with the pre-order from PSN Store??

Not trying to be a wiseass but aren't dark areas supposed to be dark. Like in the subway there is almost no light source in real life it would be hard to see without a flash light.

I have a sony full array LED Bravia and I haven't had much issues with color. Sure the dark scenes are dark but nothing turning on the flashlight doesn't fix.

Oh, my bad, I was supposed to say bright, not dark, lol. People are saying certain dark areas look washed out.

There is very little difference between limited and full if you correctly calibrate for each mode.

Yeah, this is true in my case. Full RGB with gamma set to 1.9 looks exactly the same as limited RGB with the gamma set to 2.4 on my TV.

Just finished on Grounded mode. It's my fourth time beating the game, 3 times previously on the PS3. I'll say that it's not that bad if you were pretty good with survivor mode. It's mostly bricks and sticks to fight as ammo is very scarce. As long as you know what's coming up and can plan accordingly it's not so bad, which is knowledge you won't have until you've beaten the game once. I'd imagine it's a tough, frustrating, play through if you haven't though.
I was dreading the tunnel right before the hospital as all the bloaters were challenging in the past, but planned ahead and 2 Molotov cocktails is all it took. Everything else was pretty easy, with the exception of the first bloater fight with Bill. I legitimately died 20 or so times. Also, I beat Left Behind after completing the main campaign on Grounded as well and I'll say it was pretty easy right up until the very last battle, where I died a ton trying to find the optimum route. Managed to do it though.

Thing to remember guys is that there is a most optimum route to run to put yourself in a more favorable position to attack or stealth around enemies. Discover that and you'll find yourself beating tough areas in no time.

Voorhees

Try it in Grounded to understand what I mean. I played the other parts without any great problem, but this ... you need to do an headshot for every single infected because if you hit them in the other parts of the body, you are dead. I'm not that good to hit target in the head when they are in motions. At least, not in that "position".

Not true. Two high torso shots on each runner will kill them. Start shooting them as soon as they clear the fence. Reload frequently and watch for the clicker.

kitch9

Banned
Go for full.
The only really important thing is, that both devices are using the same setting - so, either full/full or limited/limited. Otherwise you will get black crush or milky sauce.

This game and some others has issues with full, it needs to be set to Limited.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
I already gave the proof of the sluggish 30fps

Try Tlou on remote play with 60fps on. It's 30fps but a good one. Not choppy. But 30fps on and it's choppy and annoying.

Where it should be the same as remote play is 30fps anyway

Naughty dog ?

Indeed, I've just tried killzone shadowfall locked 30fps and its a hell of allot smoother but that has full screen motion blur which really helps deliver a much smoother 30fps. This is one thing that's really lacking in TLOU. I would expect every ps4 game running at 30fps to have full screen motion blur otherwise it's not going to look smooth.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This game really benefitted from the resolution and fps boost. All the little details pop out, and the facial expressions are brilliant. This is just a remaster of a near perfect PS3 game, now I really want to see what Naugty Dog will do with a native PS4 game, aka Uncharted 4.
Indeed, looking at the details in Joels face and his beard make me believe ND can definitely do that Uncharted 4 trailer on PS4
Joel is not that far from it as it is in this remaster.

Cloudy

Banned
I just realized this will be the first game I ever complete twice even though I keep all my favorite games. FFX would have been the first but I got sidetracked playing the remaster lol

Hugstable

Banned
I just realized this will be the first game I ever complete twice even though I keep all my favorite games. FFX would have been the first but I got sidetracked playing the remaster lol

You've never beat any other game twice before? Really liking my hard playthrough right now, I'm so limited on ammo though. I think I've only used 2 shots to get the 2 Tags out of the trees early on, and since then I've been chilling on like 6 bullets for my 9mm. Also played my first Mutliplayer match yesterday and that was a ton of fun. Really like the whole collect and craft aspect of it, makes the matches interesting. Also my Ellie gets stuck video got 2 thumbs down :(. I thought it was funny haha

Plugged in PS3 and PS4 into same TV, switched channels on the fly and it's the same smoothness as the PS3 version. There are some full screen motion blur differences as the camera pans but mostly it's the sudden drop from 60 to 30 and your brain having to adjust.

Even though I've always preferred 60 (and higher on PC), I don't think this is necessarily damning for 30 fps games as some claim simply because you normally are never going to switch frame rates instantly like this. I went and played Uncharted 2 later and it felt fine.

I think any future 30 fps games going forward should include that CG full screen and object motion blur seen in games like God of War 3, Ryse and The Order. That 40-45 fps feel.

You mean same lack of smoothness? The PS3 version rarely stayed at 30, especially during battle. Prior to playing TLOUR, I played a ton of Watch Dogs and Destiny and they were much smoother.

To people saying 30fps is choppy, this is how it looks (feels) like when you change directly from 60fps. Try changing to a TV channel or movie instead and you'll see same choppiness, which will go away after a while.

Like I said, I tried it immediately after the intro and played around with it for a good 15 minutes, switching back and forth.

Yeah, I've noticed a lot more graphical glitches than the PS3 version. It's not a big deal or anything though.

Also, I did switch to 30fps just to see and I was shocked at how stuttery it was. But I do think it's something that just takes time to adjust to. Not that I'm going to go back. 60 fps took a minute or two to adjust to for me when I played Ground Zeroes on PS4, so it's probably the same going back to 30.

Of course you can adjust (like I did on the PS3 version), but why would I want to when it doesn't feel as smooth as it should? The 30 fps mode should feel like butter but it's choppy and stuttery.

Autofokus

This game and some others has issues with full, it needs to be set to Limited.

I didn't have any problems with the ps3 version and don't have any with the Remaster now. *shrugs*

But my equipment is calibrated based on test pattern and whatnot, so the milage of others will probably vary. I don't claim others are overreacting, lying or anything. Hope everyone gets their problem sorted, one way or another.

Cloudy

Banned
You've never beat any other game twice before?

Nope. Not in the modern era at least. I'm sure I did it with some of those SNES games that you could finish in one sitting (Super Double Dragon for example)

I have too many other hobbies and with my backlog, playing a game twice is tough no matter how great it is.

I really want to replay FF7 and FF8 but I've been holding out for remakes lol

I think I've only used 2 shots to get the 2 Tags out of the trees early on

Where is this?

Hugstable

Banned
Just finished "Left behind" for the first time (90-120 minutes). Wow, that was amazing, totally worth it. Naughty Gods indeed.

OH my god I forgot all about Left Behind! I never played it on the PS3 version and forgot it was included here. Can't wait to finally try it out after I finish my Hard playthrough. I really need to put time into the mutliplayer also, feels like a crime that I didn't play MP on PS3 at all and it's really fun!

Nope. Not in the modern era at least. I'm sure I beat some of those SNES games that you could beat in one sitting several times (Super Double Dragon for example)

I have too many other hobbies and with my backlog, playing a game twice is tough no matter how good it is.

Yeah I feel that, there's very few games I've completed twice myself, and they usually need to be very special to get that honor. I think I've beaten Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI like 5 times each though (Chrono Trigger possibly more), and I think I beat SMT: Nocturne twice now after the recent PSN release, but besides that Last of Us is the only game besides those that I'm actually making a second attempt at.

Edit: Also forgot I recently beat Zelda Wind Waker for the 2nd time ever with the HD release.

Where is this?

One is pretty early on before you get Ellie, and the second one is right before you enter that huge slanted building in outskirts while it's raining. Also should I be putting something like this in spoiler tags? If I should someone let me know so I can get that done.

Yuterald

Tried playing this game back when it was released on PS3. Couldn't even make it through the Summer scenario. Wanted to give the game another shot, so I picked up the PS4 version and I'm just about as far as I got back on the original game (Museum during the Summer). I started on Grounded because I recalled the game feeling really boring/easy when I first played it and it hasn't been too bad (until now). The one checkpoint in the Museum is pretty brutal. I'm not frustrated yet, but I gotta echo the sentiment that adjusting the distance between checkpoints (or removing ones found on lower difficulties) is a shitty, artificial difficulty increase (if what I've read is true).

...I still don't know about this game. I'm attracted to the atmosphere/sound design and I like some of the survival elements, but the game itself still feels pretty whatever. I'm still bothered by the fact that your NPC allies cannot be seen by enemies (and yes, I completely understand from a design/gameplay perspective why they chose this, it just doesn't sit well with me). In fact, I find it super funny reading posts prior to this game's launch about shadow quality breaking immersion levels/atmosphere and such, but having Ellie and company wig out and run around Tickers while not alarming them doesn't? Suuuuuuuure... =/

Also, do guards like not detect dead bodies? I'm fighting these soldier dudes and strangling them and such and one of their buds walk by and they don't even act the least suspicious. On top of that, some fallen enemies have been clipping through the environment. I've also noticed that some patches of grass don't react/sway to your characters movement while others do. I get why people think this game is cool and everything, but at the same time I actually REALLY don't get it, ha! Feels like a rushed "Remaster", if I must say so.

Just finished on Grounded mode. It's my fourth time beating the game, 3 times previously on the PS3. I'll say that it's not that bad if you were pretty good with survivor mode. It's mostly bricks and sticks to fight as ammo is very scarce. As long as you know what's coming up and can plan accordingly it's not so bad, which is knowledge you won't have until you've beaten the game once. I'd imagine it's a tough, frustrating, play through if you haven't though.
I was dreading the tunnel right before the hospital as all the bloaters were challenging in the past, but planned ahead and 2 Molotov cocktails is all it took. Everything else was pretty easy, with the exception of the first bloater fight with Bill. I legitimately died 20 or so times. Also, I beat Left Behind after completing the main campaign on Grounded as well and I'll say it was pretty easy right up until the very last battle, where I died a ton trying to find the optimum route. Managed to do it though.

Thing to remember guys is that there is a most optimum route to run to put yourself in a more favorable position to attack or stealth around enemies. Discover that and you'll find yourself beating tough areas in no time.

Good advice; I'm currently replaying, my last completed playthrough was when it first released so I forget a lot of the setups and areas. I find myself easily frustrated with it though, so I'm thinking about moving on to Left Behind for now. I do think the first two hours or so drag on, so I'm really just looking to get to the good parts.

TEH-CJ

Banned
I'm half way into the game on Grounded difficulty and It has been pretty easy so far. But boy is the best way to experience this game.

Hugstable said:
One is pretty early on before you get Ellie, and the second one is right before you enter that huge slanted building in outskirts while it's raining. Also should I be putting something like this in spoiler tags? If I should someone let me know so I can get that done.

There's tags in trees too? God damn it I just started this a second time and I've already passed this again.

I'm never gonna get all the collectibles.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Up to the part where
Tess reveals she's been bit

Loving it. Haven't received one trophy thus far though, guessing you don't get them just for finishing acts?

Marco1

People get obsessed on Full or Limited when all you have to do is switch to full and if the dark areas lose detail then it's the wrong setting.
I know at first it looks better because of the image pops more but that's all it does.
The grass is sometimes not greener.

nib95

Banned
Quoting myself from earlier for the people having gamma issues. Presumably if your TV has RGB range and gamma options, you should be able to try this.

On a side note, my current fix for the time being is this.

For the overly dark gamma areas of the game.
VT65 HDMI mode set to RGB Full, with Gamma set to 2.6. PS4 also set to RGB Full.
This gets rid of black crush but retains some of that shadow depth and punch.

For the overly light gamma areas of the game.
VT65 HDMI mode set to RGB Normal, with Gamma set to 2.4. PS4 set to RGB Full.
This darkens up the overly washed out segments of the game, but doesn't crush blacks.

camac002

You mean same lack of smoothness? The PS3 version rarely stayed at 30, especially during battle. Prior to playing TLOUR, I played a ton of Watch Dogs and Destiny and they were much smoother.

I specifically checked areas where I knew the PS3 was at constant 30 (mainly inside, a lot of outsides with no enemies) and the PS3 matched up to the PS4 version at 30 during general movement and panning the camera. Felt "smooth."

Then I went and switched to PS4, played on 60 for 5 minutes, went back to the same areas then immediately switched back down to 30, and the 30 looked stuttery as hell for a short time until I adjusted.

There's a minor difference between the full screen motion blur. The PS4 blur at 30 seems to have less distortion.

Yes, Watch Dogs feels a lot smoother to me as it has an excellent motion blur. It's better than say, AC4's 30 fps, which it probably maintains 99% of the time.

I suppose it could suffer from frame timing problems, but Digital Foundry's mention no frame time variance when running at 30. Destiny has frame time variances so technically that is a less smooth 30 fps.

Ferr986

Gotta say where ND nailed is in the characters as for now. Joel and Ellie are very likable characters, especially Ellie because its not your usual annoying kid.

Raptor

Are you not getting destiny?

Probably not day one bro :( after carefull consideration I came to the realization that I prefer playing TLOU MP than Destiny for the time being, I will eventually get it thats for sure but not day one.

That can change at the last minute though.

Sony TVs usually have the RGB option in auto just like the PS4, so leave it that way in both.

Correct, they were both set to Auto. I set both to Full but it doesn't seem to have made a difference - at least with how washed out the gamma can look at times. Considering the other minor tech issues this port has, I'm guessing it's just the game.

grimmiq

Just finished the main game, going to start Left Behind tomorrow..So happy I waited for the PS4 version..I did experience my fair share of graphical glitches, stupid enemy AI and NPCs getting caught on terrain though.

Had this happen to me last night, thought it was really funny. I have no clue what happened but it looked like Ellie started doing her own little dance to celebrate us getting away from some Clickers lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_Z4nDO5f7Q&feature=youtu.be

tumblr_me4rylMKs31qfwsa1.gif

It`s the same beat.... ;-)

Ending spoilers:
I just knew they were going to kill her. I just didn't anticipate that Joel would kill everyone including the doctors to get Ellie back alive. I reluctantly played that section and was gutted when he killed Marlene. I didn't realize that I was playing as a selfish, psychopathic old man until the final 30 mins. He doomed humanity so that he could live out his years with someone that could replace his daughter. It's not that I don't understand why he couldn't let her go, I just angry that he didn't for the sake of humanity. Ellie definitely wanted her death to mean something and Joel stole it from her.

You say selfish, but you need to remember how the game started. He already lost his first daughter for the "greater good", and he had no choice in that. Once again he is faced with losing his only love in the world for the greater good of humanity, and seemingly given no choice in the matter. This time he decided he wasn't going to do nothing as they took that away from him.

He saw what humanity has become. The fireflies say they want to save humanity, but humanity is long gone from the days they so want to bring back. They want to justify all the shit they have done by saying it was for the greater good, it's simply their coping mechanism.

Just think for a second. Let's say a cure is made, what happens then? Let's say it's somehow distributed among all surviving humans, what then? That doesn't fix the complete lack of energy. Doesn't fix the food supplies. Doesn't fix the factions fighting each other, the Fireflies would still be at war with the remaining QZ zones. Doesn't fix the years of emotional damage the surviving people have gone through.

It doesn't fix anything.

sometimes

Neo Member
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have completed last of us on PS3 when it launched, now going to play again on PS4 - but, I have never played left behind

for the story to work, is it best to play left behind before or after the main last of us game?

thanks in advance

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have completed last of us on PS3 when it launched, now going to play again on PS4 - but, I have never played left behind

for the story to work, is it best to play left behind before or after the main last of us game?

thanks in advance
After.

StuBurns

Banned
Hi all,

thanks in advance
You've already played the main game, so that seems like a strange question.

It should be played after though.

Hi all,

thanks in advance

If you want to play a complete story mode you'll need to start playing Left Behind right as the screen cuts to black and you get to winter. I recently did that and it works really well. But, I think it has more of an affect on you as a person to play it after the main game.

You say selfish, but you need to remember how the game started. He already lost his first daughter for the "greater good", and he had no choice in that. Once again he is faced with losing his only love in the world for the greater good of humanity, and seemingly given no choice in the matter. This time he decided he wasn't going to do nothing as they took that away from him.

He saw what humanity has become. The fireflies say they want to save humanity, but humanity is long gone from the days they so want to bring back. They want to justify all the shit they have done by saying it was for the greater good, it's simply their coping mechanism.

Just think for a second. Let's say a cure is made, what happens then? Let's say it's somehow distributed among all surviving humans, what then? That doesn't fix the complete lack of energy. Doesn't fix the food supplies. Doesn't fix the factions fighting each other, the Fireflies would still be at war with the remaining QZ zones. Doesn't fix the years of emotional damage the surviving people have gone through.

It doesn't fix anything.

+1, then you realize in the final scene where they are walking through the woods just talking, that just being together surviving is enough.

sometimes

Neo Member
After the main game it is! thanks

I don't know much about the content of left behind, so it was a case of is it a prequel to the main game or not - seems not

thanks again

It doesn't fix anything.

It's a selfish choice. It's selfish to take away humanity's only chance of a cure because you can't lose another daughter. How many other people will lose their daughters because of the infection? Even if the cure won't ever be mass distributed it will still save countless people the fireflies come across. Joel had a rough choice at the end but his decision was still selfish.

After the main game it is! thanks

I don't know much about the content of left behind, so it was a case of is it a prequel to the main game or not - seems not

thanks again

It is a prequel. It just hits harder based on some things that are said at the end of the main game.

Top Bottom