• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Huggers

This game is so much better on the higher difficulty settings. I only got the chance to finish it on normal last year.

What's the general vibe from 360 only people who had never played this before. Does it hold up to the hype?

Cudder

There are more like Ellie that are immune. Not only do they reveal that in the last level if you actually looked, but in reality, there is never just one single immune person.

You should do some more exploring in the last level. Ellie wasn't the only immune person.

Is this true? Is this in a note or something? I don't remember hearing about that. So what Joel says to Ellie at the end of the game was true? I thought the whole point of him saying that to her was the he was lying/being selfish.

Left Behind was pretty, pretty, pretty good. I was a little surprised by its brevity but I enjoyed it quite a bit. I guess it's about time to replay this crazy game now. It's hard for me to get back into it because it's so depressing and stressful.

Yeah, I really enjoyed it. All of the things you do with Riley were really surprising and great.
The Facebook photo thing worked so well. When it said "No Internet Connection" I actually thought that for some reason my console couldn't connect to Facebook to do whatever the game wanted to do. I didn't think in the context of the game "Oh, post apocalyptic world, of course there's no internet." Then later when I was in bed I went on Facebook and saw the picture. :*(

Just really well done overall.

Ted

Try it in Grounded. I played the other parts without any great problem, but this ... you need to do an headshot for every single infected because if you hit them in the other parts of the body, you are dead.

Fairplay. That is harsh!

I won't get a chance to try it on Grounded for a while, I'm still playing the PS3 version on and off (where the Grounded difficulty level is paid DLC) so it's still way too fresh to justify the remastered version.

This thread has inspired me to bother to fire it up again though and finish my Survivor + run at some point this week.

Anyway, since I can't play it, you must surely now feel it is your duty to push through and complete this section. You CAN do it. Do it... do it for me, do it for GAF.

14622109897_c0d781f5e2_o.jpg

If you break your controller perhaps we could have a whip round.

Spoiler for 70% through the game:
In winter, did you go through Ellie's backpack and look at each artifact?

Yep, on my first story run through (more by chance than anything) and again on my second play through where I was only going for collectables. :(

And, as I said in a different thread, that shouldn't really be a trigger anyway. It does after all say "find" and [same area as above and before spoilers]
none of these items are actually collected by the player per se, like toy Ellie gives to Sam
. And if viewing the item is a trigger, why has it worked for the all collectables trophy but not the all artifacts trophy? The latter is a subset of the former, all collectibles includes all artifacts so I don't think it SHOULD be anything I have done. It's just an annoying bug/sloppy trophy validation on this section (I guess it's sort of like if you completed it on Survival and it unlocked Easy, Normal but it failed to unlock Hard).

T.O.P

Banned
Something unexpected, i'm enjoying the game as much as the first time i played through it

60fps helps a lot and the game is truly gorgeous as well

terrible

Banned
This game is so much better on the higher difficulty settings. I only got the chance to finish it on normal last year.

What's the general vibe from 360 only people who had never played this before. Does it hold up to the hype?

Depends on how high of a difficulty setting you're playing on really. I'm at the
dam
on grounded and I'd say it's significantly more fun on normal than on grounded. Going almost 100% stealth and melee only like you have to do on grounded is kind of boring sometimes. It's all about replaying areas until you learn where enemies walk and you come to learn that the AI is really dumb. It's the same thing over and over again. At least on normal you can mix things up with gunplay and stealth way more often. Maybe hard is the sweet spot where enemies are dangerous but you still have enough ammo to shoot but I haven't played it.

Is this true? Is this in a note or something? I don't remember hearing about that. So what Joel says to Ellie at the end of the game was true? I thought the whole point of him saying that to her was the he was lying/being selfish.

No, it's not true. She was the only one. They had tested those who were infected, yes, but none of them were immune and then became runners. Those tests led nowhere.

This game really benefitted from the resolution and fps boost. All the little details pop out, and the facial expressions are brilliant. This is just a remaster of a near perfect PS3 game, now I really want to see what Naugty Dog will do with a native PS4 game, aka Uncharted 4.

Huggers

Depends on how high of a difficulty setting you're playing on really. I'm at the
dam
on grounded and I'd say it's significantly more fun on normal than on grounded. Going almost 100% stealth and melee only like you have to do on grounded is kind of boring sometimes. It's all about replaying areas until you learn where enemies walk and you come to learn that the AI is really dumb. It's the same thing over and over again. At least on normal you can mix things up with gunplay and stealth way more often. Maybe hard is the sweet spot where enemies are dangerous but you still have enough ammo to shoot but I haven't played it.

I should have prefaced this by saying I'm playing on Hard. Seems like the perfect level of difficulty. I've heard survivour is very playable too. I think Grounded might be a little too hardcore for me

Starting with the Dam chapter I've started seeing more pop-in of objects. Pretty bad and noticeable.

Up to that point it's been fine. I have the physical copy.

I will say you can see other signs of the difficulty they had porting this. It may "run" and "look" better, but it's not as polished as the PS3 version. I see flickering textures, messed up lighting coming into interior dark areas from texture seams, and the pop-in issue already mentioned.

Patch that stuff and this game is flawless.

Yeah, I've noticed a lot more graphical glitches than the PS3 version. It's not a big deal or anything though.

Also, I did switch to 30fps just to see and I was shocked at how stuttery it was. But I do think it's something that just takes time to adjust to. Not that I'm going to go back. 60 fps took a minute or two to adjust to for me when I played Ground Zeroes on PS4, so it's probably the same going back to 30.

Rainy Dog

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions on fixing the gamma/brightness problems. I changed a few settings in my PS4 display output menu and the game looks PHENOMENAL now. I can't believe I didn't do this sooner. If someone wants to try it, here's what mine looks like with a 50" Sony Bravia LED (you might need different ones depending on what type of display you're using)

ibzJml52aBnfyY.jpg

What model TV are you using? If it's a recent Sony then you should be setting both the telly and your PS4 to RGB/Dynamic Range to Full.

MJLord

I thought it was the only ending that made sense.
After Sarahs death Joel was a broken man. He lost his faith in humanity when Sarah got shot by soldier, not killed by infected but killed by a human.
Thats the reason why Joel and Tommy didn't talk to each other. Tommy had hope, he wanted to do something. Joel didn't care. He just survived and did whats necessary in order to survive. He didn't care about humanity. Thatswhy Tommy joined the Fireflys and Joel didn't.
The game hinted at what Joel did all the time. In the very first section after the opening where you walk through the quarantine zone, stick around and talk to the people. Some of them are even scared of Joel.
Tess: "We're shitty people, Joel. Its been that why for a long time."
Joel: "We are survivors, Tess!"
Tess: "This is our chance!"
Joel was able to justify his actions to himself.

When Ellie asked him how he knew about the ambush by the hunters:
Ellie: "How did you know?"
Joel: "I've been on both sides."
Ellie: "So... you've killed a lot of innocent people."
Joel: "*gruml*"
Ellie: "I take that as a yes."
Joel: "Take is however you want."

Yeah an many more such hints.

So, when Joel met Ellie he was very reluctant. Shew reminded him of Sarah and he didn't want to care about other people because that would imply that he could lose them and he couldn't take that anymore.
When Marlene tells them that they have to smuggle a girl Joel doesn't want to take the job. Tess goes over to him and says "I get it." She knows why he is reluctant.
Afterwards there are many more scenes where you see him giving in to the fact that he bonded with Ellie. For example after the "Can't deny that view"-scene, when he looks at his broken watch. The watch he got from Sarah.

At the end Ellie is everything Joels got. He lost his faith in humanity when a soldier shot Sarah. He was a broken man for 20 years and he knew that he couldn't take that another time. Especially not for humanities sake.
So he kills everyone who wants to harm Ellie.
I think nothing else would've made sense for the character.

nailed it

kubus

oh I thought it was a woman
Just before the part with the sniper, you can find a note in one of the houses. It was written by one of the survivors of the sewer incident (I think Susan, not sure) and it refers to Ish as a male. It's easy to miss and if I'm not mistaken, the only artifact that specifies his gender.

Ferr986

Not for me, but I guess its because the hype for this game is friggin surreal over here (just look, theres 3 OTs of this new remaster). Not saying its a bad game, its good, but thats it, just good. Still a long way to go so my impressions may change.

Disguises

The VT65 supports Full RGB over HDMI. I actually tried changing it to Full RGB in the TV HDMI settings and forcing it in the console settings too, and it sort of worked except now certain levels (like the demo level) look exceptionally washed out, whilst other levels (like the entire start of the game) look decent enough, perhaps still slightly on the bright side. Gamma does not appear to be consistent throughout the game.
Yeah. I spent a few hours changing my TV and PS4 settings because I thought it was my fault, but it does seem to be this. Rain storm section was especially bad for me too. Once again, how has no one brought this up? Not even digital foundry. This and the matchmaking issues are really putting a downer on this game for me.
Some screenshots from the console screenshot thread as examples:
Rest of the game looks great.

terrible

Banned
I should have prefaced this by saying I'm playing on Hard. Seems like the perfect level of difficulty. I've heard survivour is very playable too. I think Grounded might be a little too hardcore for me

Fair enough. I've seen a lot of people say that the game seems balanced around the hard difficulty so there must be something to that.

Don't get me wrong, grounded is really fun at times too. Going into an area and dreading it because you think it'll be insanely hard and then eventually clearing it without alerting anyone is pretty satisfying. It gets your heart rate up too knowing one mistake can end your run. I don't think you can get that in other difficulties to the same degree.

JB1981

Not for me, but I guess its because the hype for this game is friggin surreal over here (just look, theres 3 OTs of this new remaster). Not saying its a bad game, its good, but thats it, just good. Still a long way to go so my impressions may change.

Complete the game first

kitch9

Banned
Thanks. I'm a try this myself

There's a few games / apps now that have issues with full rgb, stick with limited and calibrate around that. Developers will expect most TV's are set to limited anyway and design around that colour space primarily. Everything else such as blu-ray etc are all encoded in limited as well

DSN2K

just finished

Joel is selfish, god damn I get it why he took her at the end but none the less Selfish. Get impression Ellie knew that he took her as well but went with it for now.

Skitso78

First time playing the game and really loving it. (Hard, without listening mode) There are a few things that are confusing me though:

Are enemies sometimes spawning out of nowhere? I just completed the
hotel level
and after clearing the third floor, I was attacked by two guys from a dead end corridor I had just cleared. Felt really cheap. Is that really possible?

The second thing is, how are the check points supposed to work? Earlier, as I played through the
library
I died a couple of times but it seemed that the game had always made a check point just seconds before and I was able to continue from there with large part of enemies already dead. It doesn't seem to work like that in every situation, but it felt unfair to be able to continue the game like from Bioshock vita chamber after failing...

ocean

Banned
I'm just gonna throw this out there: the intro to this game is by far the most emotionally powerful storytelling I've ever seen a game pull off.

Dis gon be good.

Gav

God damnit.
My copy still isnt here. It was shipped on Wednesday from Gamestop UK, i paid the £5.50 express delivery to ensure it would arrive on launch day.

Still nothing.
Im so angry.

psychotron

The collectibles/conversations and trophy weirdness was there in the PS3 version and has never been patched. I don't really care too much about trophies/achievements but this pisses me off no end everytime I see it:

pGRb99O.jpg

I have been through and viewed/listened to ALL of them several times, both by using square to read AND X to zoom and it just won't pop!

Eventually I just said fuck it, I'm not spoiling the flow of my Survivor run just to get this bullshit trophy to appear.

If they do patch the PS4 I hope they do the same for the original but I'm not holding my breath.

Just out of curiosity, did you check inside Ellie's backpack at the start of winter? There's things in there that count.

f@luS

More than a member.
Yeah I've noticed this too, wasn't sure if it was just the fact of switching from 60 to 30 on the fly would have something to do with it but it feels more choppy then the usual 30fps, at least that's how I feel when coming from Destiny and WD.

I should lock it at 30 then pop in WD then go back to TLOU and see if I notice it still.
I already gave the proof of the sluggish 30fps

Try Tlou on remote play with 60fps on. It's 30fps but a good one. Not choppy. But 30fps on and it's choppy and annoying.

Where it should be the same as remote play is 30fps anyway

Naughty dog ?

leng jai

I already gave the proof of the sluggish 30fps

Try Tlou on remote play with 60fps on. It's 30fps but a good one. Not choppy. But 30fps on and it's choppy and annoying.

Where it should be the same as remote play is 30fps anyway

Naughty dog ?

Remote play should be worse since it has over 100ms input lag. ND fucked something up in the 30fps lock.

Yeah. I spent a few hours changing my TV and PS4 settings because I thought it was my fault, but it does seem to be this. Rain storm section was especially bad for me too. Once again, how has no one brought this up? Not even digital foundry.

Interesting. I was doing the same thing last night too - thinking it was my TV. Very washed out look.

I too have also noticed some texture pop-in, or times when huge pieces of geometry don't load in and I'm running up against invisible walls.

I few tech problems for this port, but still the greatest game ever.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I'm maybe three hours in and am really loving it. It is everything I'd hoped it would be.

Yesterday was an amazing, life-affirming day where I saw many of my greatest obstacles fall and I celebrated by really hunkering down with this game.

I gotta say, yesterday was a good day
Didn't even have to use my 2 shot hunting rifle.

I was playing it with my oldest daughter watching and we were both fucking riveted.

Cloudy

Banned
Guys, there's a section in Bills town where Ellie asks Joel if he has a minute and he says no. What did I do to miss that convo? I think I remember getting it my first playthrough. Also, what was said? Use spoiler tags!

Sordid

I never got around to playing this on the PS3 and I'm kinda glad I missed it, it runs/looks pretty great on the PS4.The opening totally blew me away, maybe one of the best opening acts to any game I've played. It's been a comparably subdued experience since then but still enjoyable, I reached a new area before I switched it off though so I think it's about to ramp up again. Can't wait to play it later!

Wp Naughty Dog.

KongRudi

Banned
Is this true?
Is this in a note or something? I don't remember hearing about that. So what Joel says to Ellie at the end of the game was true? I thought the whole point of him saying that to her was the he was lying/being selfish.

Just really well done overall.

No, it's not true.

There are several referrances to the doctors operating on other people, but none of those were immune.
They said Ellie were the first patient wich got a fungus wich have mutated, rendering her immune.

Joel just made up the part that there were dozens of other immune people, I didn't think he did that to be selfish - but he did it because he wanted to protect her from the truth - much like most people try to protect their kids from the harsh reality of the world.

First time playing through the game. It had a strong opening. Parts of Summer felt to drag on. Fall and Winter were both great. Spring
felt like the right way to end it/ I'm glad there wasn't some stupid boss type character fight at the end. Clearing the OR staff / gunning down Marlene after she drops her guard was very fitting for the games themes/Joel's character.

kitch9

Banned
So every time I need to this to fix it? Because the others games with limited are terrible on ps4. To be honest even with auto. I use full range colours on my ps4, because a lot of games are terribly bright with auto. Anyway, I need to say this remasterd feel too much rushed. I have encountered tons of graphic glitch, poly geometry which disappear & appear more than a time, low res light effects which cause terrible jaggies in the graphic geometry edges. Don't let me wrong, I have tried to replay the ps3 version yesterday & ps4 still it's definitely an enjoy to play, fps on ps3 sucks, but this port it's rushed.

There is very little difference between limited and full if you correctly calibrate for each mode.

So what's the best video output settings?! Automatic gives it that washed out look but full makes the game super dark to the point I have to use my flashlight in the daylight at times.

Can't decide what setting works best tbf

Autofokus

I have the Sony W900A.

Should I set the PS4 and TV to both limited or both full?

Go for full.
The only really important thing is, that both devices are using the same setting - so, either full/full or limited/limited. Otherwise you will get black crush or milky sauce.

Top Bottom