• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It's a selfish choice. It's selfish to take away humanity's only chance of a cure because you can't lose another daughter. How many other people will lose their daughters because of the infection? Even if the cure won't ever be mass distributed it will still save countless people the fireflies come across. Joel had a rough choice at the end but his decision was still selfish.

USE SPOILER TAGS

Handy Fake

It's a selfish choice. It's selfish to take away humanity's only chance of a cure because you can't lose another daughter. How many other people will lose their daughters because of the infection? Even if the cure won't ever be mass distributed it will still save countless people the fireflies come across. Joel had a rough choice at the end but his decision was still selfish.

But natural. I know if I was in his shoes I would have done the same as him.

The saves are kept separate for the main game and left behind, correct? Finishing up my play through of the main game and looking to start left behind before I perform newgame+ and finish the collectables and trophies.

Hubb

You are assuming the cure will work, and it isn't humanities only chance. Look at Tommy's town. Good chance that isn't the only place in world like that.

How good do you guys consider Left Behind? I'm kind of curious how you think it compares to the main adventure.

I enjoyed it, but not as much as the main game I think. It is great for character building or fleshing out I guess.
The fight scenes where you can use clickers against the hunters are nice, but some fight areas seem to forced.

You're assuming the Fireflies would even use the vaccine for good. You seem to forget the Fireflies are no better than anyone else and would absolutely use it as a power card when fighting other groups for power.

Do you really think the Fireflies would give the vaccine to random people they come across? They do what everyone else does, look out for their own.

Joel was selfish, but so were the Fireflies in forcing Joel to sacrifice his only happiness for the horribly outdated goals of the Fireflies. Remember, it's two decades later and the Fireflies are still fighting the remanence of the government in the QZ zones. They formed after the outbreak to install a proper government and remove military rule. They are still trying to fight that fight, a cause that is long gone.

ZeroRay

Joel was selfish, but so were the Fireflies in forcing Joel to sacrifice his only happiness for the horribly outdated goals of the Fireflies. Remember, it's two decades later and the Fireflies are still fighting the remanence of the government in the QZ zones. They formed after the outbreak to install a proper government and remove military rule. They are still trying to fight that fight, a cause that is long gone.

It was somewhat implied that Boston was actually the last QZ left standing. In fact it probably even wasn't anymore by Spring.

It was somewhat implied that Boston was actually the last QZ left standing. In fact it probably even wasn't anymore by Spring.

No, if you go and read some of the Firefly documents you will see other QZ zones listed as recruiting grounds and supply run zones. I remember Texas having one and somewhere closer to Salt Lake having one also.

But you're right that it's probably abandoned by the military by spring as they were running out of food.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I've been having so much fun. Didn't play the multiplayer in the PS3 version because I felt the graphics were too rough but on the new hardware it plays amazingly. Jumping between multiplayer, single player and Left Behind is really fantastic. Feels like seeing so many perspectives to a situation. Almost reminds me of a TV-series.

I'm enjoying this far more than any other next-gen releases so far and way beyond what I got out of the PS3-version. This is the way this game was meant to be played. Really looking forward to the next Uncharted.

You are assuming the cure will work, and it isn't humanities only chance. Look at Tommy's town. Good chance that isn't the only place in world like that.

I enjoyed it, but not as much as the main game I think. It is great for character building or fleshing out I guess.
The fight scenes where you can use clickers against the hunters are nice, but some fight areas seem to forced.

It's selfish to take that choice out of the equation because you can't handle the consequences though. They might not find a cure, but it's most likely the worlds last/best shot at finding one.

Hubb

It's selfish to take that choice out of the equation because you can't handle the consequences though. They might not find a cure, but it's most likely the worlds last/best shot at finding one.

Lots of "ifs" in your argument there. It comes down to "do the ends justify the means" and what % chance do they really have to find the cure from Ellie. There is a chance I can win the lottery, but there is a reason I don't play it. And this point would be moot if people just worked together instead of killing each other. This isn't some Walking Dead thing where when you die you still come back to life as a clicker. If everyone is "cured" what is to stop people from still killing each other. Ellie's cure doesn't magically kill the 1000s of clickers out there

eshwaaz

I just got to Pittsburg, and the sound effects aren't playing during the cutscene. I tried restarting the encounter and even quitting out and restarting the chapter, but it still happens. Did this happen to anyone else? I don't remember dealing with this in the PS3 version. Sound has been fine up to this point.

Ending Spoilers

El oh el at the people who say they would give up the only person they care about to some shitty people who are going to dissect her, and to top it off: finding a cure is not even definite.

How good do you guys consider Left Behind? I'm kind of curious how you think it compares to the main adventure.

Just as good as the main game. Maybe a bit too short (120 min.) but it's absolutely worth it. The ending of the main game is even better when you play it again after you've beaten "Left behind".

KZObsessed

Started playing this on grounded today and it's even better than I remember. The combat/A.I. is phenomenal. I've played it twice before and I'm seeing things from the enemy behaviour I've never seen before. Loving it.

Story wise it's just as emotional and looks stunning. I'm hoping to actually get into the MP this time as well.

Moozo

If you want to play a complete story mode you'll need to start playing Left Behind right as the screen cuts to black and you get to winter. I recently did that and it works really well. But, I think it has more of an affect on you as a person to play it after the main game.

Anyone else done this? Any more thoughts? (I've completed on PS3 but never played Left Behind)

IndustryX

Up to the part where
Tess reveals she's been bit

Loving it. Haven't received one trophy thus far though, guessing you don't get them just for finishing acts?

You get maybe two trophies by the end of your first playthrough.. Enjoy the ride man the best is yet to come!!

Ending Spoilers

El oh el at the people who say they would give up the only person they care about to some shitty people who are going to dissect her, and to top it off: finding a cure is not even definite.

As someone
With a daughter, I would totally make the same choice Joel did. No question. It isn't even up for debate with me. You cannot have someone I care for just for a small chance of saving a world filled with shitty people who tried to kill us for almost a year.

BadHand

Ending Spoilers:
In regards to Joel's "selfishness"

I actually think what Joel did wasn't selfish. How many children need to be sacrificed for "the greater good"? Surely, when you are killing children to prolong your own life, humanity is surely lost.

We live in a world today full of disease, at what point would it be reasonable to start killing kids to save others that are infected with the AIDS virus or have cancer, for example? Humanity is nothing without civilized humanity.

It's almost like some sort of ancient ritual, where the downtrodden and hopeless are led to believe in this bleak hope that a routine sacrifice will appease the gods and eventually lead to a better life for all. The sacrificed are even willing to give there lives for this. In a rational world, why should we believe the fireflies are any better than this?

What Joel did is save Ellie from a probably pointless death. He saw through the backwards thinking of a hopelessly misled group of people and did what it took to preserve his version of humanity, which was much more natural and human. I don't think the fireflies are even capable of restoring civilization because they lack the "humanity" they are claiming they are trying to save.

grounded difficulty is pretty hardcore. thought i give it a try, but its nearly impossible when your last playthrough (survivor) is nearly a year ago and you cant remember shit about the game mechanics.

fastmower

thelastofusremasteredu0o4e.jpg

Hey guys, do you think there is an easter-egg written on Joel's top button?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You're assuming the Fireflies would even use the vaccine for good. You seem to forget the Fireflies are no better than anyone else and would absolutely use it as a power card when fighting other groups for power.

Do you really think the Fireflies would give the vaccine to random people they come across? They do what everyone else does, look out for their own.

This. So much this. I felt the ending was just fine.
trusting the fireflies is about as dumb a decision as anyone could make. Aside from MAYBE Tommy, there really are no true good guys in this game.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
[ ENDING SPOILERS ]

You're assuming a lot.

How do we know if the Fireflies can even properly do the surgery procedure?

How do we know whether they would've even gotten anything useful from it?

How does a mutated strand of the infection lead to a cure for all?

If a cure was derived from the mutated infection, how would they produce it?

If they could produce it in small batches, how would they even move on to mass production?

If they could get it mass-produced, how would they even go about spreading this cure without any infrastructure in place?

How would this cure fix humanity's actual problem of a completely dissolved and broken down society?

How can we know if the Fireflies don't just intend on keeping this cure for themselves?

How would this deal with the existing infected in the world, seeing as those are still a threat as any potential cure would not give you immunity to death?

There are a lot of assumptions being made here. The Fireflies think that any chance at creating a 'cure', no matter how tiny and unfeasible and unlikely, is worth taking, even killing a 14 year old kid. Joel disagrees, and I say he made the right call. Yes, he did it for his own survival, and you might call that 'selfish', but it was still the right call. Humanity was too far gone at that point for any potential 'cure' to actually solve anything. Communities like the one run by Tommy are what will get humanity back up on it's feet again; self-sustaining communities without warring factions or power struggles within. Those communities will outlive the infected and thus eventually the Infection all together.

What's the point in creating a cure for humankind if you lose your humanity in the process of doing so?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have completed last of us on PS3 when it launched, now going to play again on PS4 - but, I have never played left behind

for the story to work, is it best to play left behind before or after the main last of us game?

thanks in advance

If you've paid before, then you can go and play Left Behind first just fine. As a prequel, it should be played after you have been through the main story first, but you've done that on PS3 so you'll be fine

fastmower

[ ENDING SPOILERS ]

You're assuming a lot.

How do we know if the Fireflies can even properly do the surgery procedure?

How do we know whether they would've even gotten anything useful from it?

How does a mutated strand of the infection lead to a cure for all?

If a cure was derived from the mutated infection, how would they produce it?

If they could produce it in small batches, how would they even move on to mass production?

If they could get it mass-produced, how would they even go about spreading this cure without any infrastructure in place?

How would this cure fix humanity's actual problem of a completely dissolved and broken down society?

How can we know if the Fireflies don't just intend on keeping this cure for themselves?

How would this deal with the existing infected in the world, seeing as those are still a threat as any potential cure would not give you immunity to death?

There are a lot of assumptions being made here. The Fireflies think that any chance at creating a 'cure', no matter how tiny and unfeasible and unlikely, is worth taking, even killing a 14 year old kid. Joel disagrees, and I say he made the right call. Yes, he did it for his own survival, and you might call that 'selfish', but it was still the right call. Humanity was too far gone at that point for any potential 'cure' to actually solve anything. Communities like the one run by Tommy are what will get humanity back up on it's feet again; self-sustaining communities without warring factions or power struggles within. Those communities will outlive the infected and thus eventually the Infection all together.

What's the point in creating a cure for humankind if you lose your humanity in the process of doing so?

Preach it, brotha!

Kurdel

Banned
Game just crashed when I got to "The woods".

It said there was an application error, or something.

Anyway, I didn't lose progress, this game is so good!

phen0m24

Have never played the game before. Really enjoying it, getting used to the controls.

One thing I'll say is that the initial load time, even with a SSHD, is substantial. Was it like this on the PS3? "I'll go make a sandwich and come back..." kinda load times.

Pretty game, tense, very enjoyable. I like taking out the enemies and then scavenging everywhere.

Still miss stuff though

todd360

Ending Spoilers

I think the worst thing Joel did was killing the three doctors (possibly 1 who knew what he was doing and two assistants). New doctors can't be made easily in this world now if at all. I assume that people could learn a bit by spending years studying medical books left behind in med school. You would have to clear it of infected and form a community there though. So not likely and the ability of the new doctors wouldn't be as good. Ellie could always go back and have the surgery done once shes lived a full life and is ready to die. I also assume that she can't be the only immune person. I'm sure that someone else who is immune will be born eventually. Just kinda hard to know if your immune or not without getting bitten and surviving the encounter with the infected.

Hubb

Have never played the game before. Really enjoying it, getting used to the controls.

One thing I'll say is that the initial load time, even with a SSHD, is substantial. Was it like this on the PS3? "I'll go make a sandwich and come back..." kinda load times.

Pretty game, tense, very enjoyable. I like taking out the enemies and then scavenging everywhere.

Still miss stuff though

It was 2 minutes + on the PS3. The 30 or so seconds I get now seems blissful.

Endgame Spoilers:

People talking about the importance of the cure also tend to forget one other important thing - in addition to everything Tiemen has pointed out:

At this stage it's actually easier to outlive CBI and then slowly rebuild society (structurally as well as morally): as long as there are strongholds of people that are able to avoid infection (Military, Tommy's Town), it's safer to wait for all the currently infected to die off along with the spores, effectively killing this cordyceps strain.

Ending Spoilers

I think the worst thing Joel did was killing the three doctors (possibly 1 who knew what he was doing and two assistants). New doctors can't be made easily in this world now if at all. I assume that people could learn a bit by spending years studying medical books left behind in med school. You would have to clear it of infected and form a community there though. So not likely and the ability of the new doctors wouldn't be as good. Ellie could always go back and have the surgery done once shes lived a full life and is ready to die. I also assume that she can't be the only immune person. I'm sure that someone else who is immune will be born eventually. Just kinda hard to know if your immune or not without getting bitten and surviving the encounter with the infected.

Never thought of that. It was a very stupid decision.

Handy Fake

Ending Spoilers

I'd say the reaction of the Fireflies to Joel trying to retrieve her puts all this out of the question.

Voorhees

Ending Spoilers

Guess what?
Joel didn't kill the doctors. You did. You don't have to kill all the doctors to rescue Ellie.

Hubb

Never thought of that. It was a very stupid decision.

Well...
The only point of contention I have with that is Ellie living a full life. Every extra day she lives is a higher percentage chance either she dies, the doctor dies, the power source for the hospital dies, so on. My thoughts about the ending are pretty clear, but my guess is this scenario would never happen.

Guess what?
Joel didn't kill the doctors. You did. You don't have to kill all the doctors to rescue Ellie.

Well
you have to kill one.

Cudder

Game just crashed when I got to "The woods".

It said there was an application error, or something.

Anyway, I didn't lose progress, this game is so good!

The game auto saves pretty regularly, which is nice.

Still miss stuff though

I don't understand why people are having trouble with the load times? Besides the initial first boot load (the one where it actually gives you a %, which was about 5 minutes or so), the load times are fine by me.

Top Bottom