• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

First time player, and i don't understand why everyone is masturbating furiously to this game. I really don't.
The story is good, and thats about all its got going for it (besides mostly great voice acting.)
The gameplay is just the same old cover shooter, stealth mechanic in every third person shooter out there.

Multiplayer is the only highlight.

How many games have an actually good story and voice acting? Then you said MP is a highlight that's 2 out of the 3 things you based the game on? Mario, on your scale only has 1 of the 3. So does Gears by the way.

As for he same old TPS name 5 TPS with RPG elements based in the real world? Every other TPS doesn't have leveling or crafting in it. TLOU has both. That's not the same old cover shooter.

nib95

Banned
Finally got started on the game and the first time I'm in it only for the story. Yes I'm playing it on easy. Call me a pussy.

I'd have played Normal at minimum. You need some of that tension, danger and fear, otherwise it just isn't as impactful. Having said that, the clickers should still kill you in one hit (I think?) so there's that. Think their AI and hearing sensitivity might be reduced though.

LastNac

On a side note, I just watched Ellie steal that Gundam toy for Sam. After he's told not to take it and gameplay resumes, she walks over to it and just stands there doing nothing. I walked away but keeping sight of her, and sure enough she nabbed it. Walked over again for a better view and the toy was gone lol.

That is beyond awesome.

How many games have an actually good story and voice acting? Then you said MP is a highlight that's 2 out of the 3 things you based the game on? Mario, on your scale only has 1 of the 3. So does Gears by the way.

As for he same old TPS name 5 TPS with RPG elements based in the real world? Every other TPS doesn't have leveling or crafting in it. TLOU has both. That's not the same old cover shooter.

Mario has fun gameplay, TLOU does not.
Mario doesn't need a story or voice acting for it to be good, TLOU does. Without any of that, TLOU would be utter shit.

"Why are these pages so sticky?"

lol

Proxy

Just had an amazing encounter with the AI during a melee fight that I feel showcases how good it can be. Also, I must say that Share function has been working flawlessly with this game, specifically, saving the last 15 minutes. Which makes me question whether or not it is actually fundamentally broken and not just certain games messing up the system.

Can someone please tell me how long the DLC is? I want to know if it can be done in one sitting. Also, anyone know of any direct spoiler talk podcasts out there other than Podcast Beyond. I like listening to those.

nib95

Banned
Mario doesn't need a story or voice acting for it to be good, TLOU does. Without any of that, TLOU would be utter shit.

lol

What third person shooters have better gameplay or combat than LoU? I personally can't think of one, let alone many. It's an expert blend of ultra violent, weighty, visceral combat, with multiple branching engagement options, dynamic real time crafting, lots of rewarding scavenging and upgrade elements, excellent stealth options, solid melee mechanics, beautifully balanced survival aspects, solid enemy AI and enemy gameplay changing variety and so on.

I'd say combat is a bit ropey before you upgrade your weapon sway ability, but after that it's just highly polished and satisfying.

First time player, and i don't understand why everyone is masturbating furiously to this game. I really don't.
The story is good, and thats about all its got going for it (besides mostly great voice acting.)
The gameplay is just the same old cover shooter, stealth mechanic in every third person shooter out there.

Multiplayer is the only highlight.

How can you say that the gameplay is boring and also say that the multiplayer is a highlight of the game?

Cubed

So tired of people emphatically stating this game is more about graphics, story, and atmosphere than gameplay.

First, it's an opinion, but if you dislike the gameplay you're in the vast, vast minority. I've replayed the game, as have many others, 6+ times now and we keep coming back to it. You don't do that for just story and graphics.

It's a diverse game and a masterful example of hunter/hunted stealth combat.

border

Can someone please tell me how long the DLC is? I want to know if it can be done in one sitting. Also, anyone know of any direct spoiler talk podcasts out there other than Podcast Beyond. I like listening to those.

I didn't do it all in one session, but I think you can easily clear it in 3 hours.

Beatrix

So tired of people emphatically stating this game is more about graphics, story, and atmosphere than gameplay.

First, it's an opinion, but if you dislike the gameplay you're in the vast, vast minority. I've replayed the game, as have many others, 6+ times now and we keep coming back to it. You don't do that for just story and graphics.

Agreed. The story and graphics pulled me in, but the solid gameplay kept me coming back.

leng jai

lol

What utter nonsense.

The gunplay is some of the best I've ever experienced in a third person shooter. The melee while basic feels extremely weighty and satisfying. On Survivor difficulty and up the gameplay really shines as you have to be methodical and use every single thing at your disposal. The only terrible aspect is the friendly AI.

Kimppis

So I finally started playing and I'm a few hours in. The opening was... impactful. Unprecented in video games, even. Gives you a real good "motivation" to play. Not so sure about the gameplay yet, though. Not that there's anything wrong in it, just too early to say.

The graphics are decent overall. You can see that it's a port of a PS3 game, lighting looks pretty "flat" compared to the likes of Second Son and Tomb Raider: DE and some of the textures are kinda bad. Still, I like the presentation, it's "worthy" of being a PS4 title, and it's easy to see that the game is native 1080p, as I just finished Uncharted 3 a few days ago.

Can't wait to play more.

LastNac

You otter be kitten me

I gotta go back. Still on my first Remastered play through, just met up with
Sam and Henry
and realized I had missed it.

Truth be told, the connection between Ellie and Joel feels the most "real" during those small gameplay exchanges, not the cutscenes. Those dialogue exchanges in particular go a long way to make me fond of their interplay with one another. I don't want to miss out on any of them.

So yeah, I gotta go back.

I'd have played Normal at minimum. You need some of that tension, danger and fear, otherwise it just isn't as impactful. Having said that, the clickers should still kill you in one hit (I think?) so there's that. Think their AI and hearing sensitivity might be reduced though.

I'll go to hard next time. I've got myself a little backlog and need to get through the last 1/3 of wolfie, assassins creed, infamous before the next wave of games come out in a month. Jan I can come back and visit this tension.

border

Idle Thumbs #112 and #113 -- https://www.idlethumbs.net/idlethumbs/episodes/page4

The majority of spoiler discussion is in episode 113. In 112 they are not done playing the game, so the discussion is somewhat limited.

sjay1994

Just beat the game on survivor.

When I played on hard on the PS3, I thought the flamethrower was shit... but god damn.

When you upgrade power and range it is so OP its not even funny. I can kill bloaters and armored dudes in a second.

Its insane.

Gator86

Just beat the game on survivor.

When I played on hard on the PS3, I thought the flamethrower was shit... but god damn.

When you upgrade power and range it is so OP its not even funny. I can kill bloaters and armored dudes in a second.

Its insane.

Yeah, I got in an infected fight near the end on my grounded run and it just massacred a half dozen or more with little effort. Just find a choke point and wait for the bodies to stack up. Infected are defenseless as their only attack pattern is to run into the flame and die. Boaters get stuck in some ridiculously dramatic burning animation and can't even fight back.

Yup. I get sweaty palms in every combat scenario especially on the harder difficulties. It's so damn intense and well designed. I only wish there was more enemy variety, but the ones they do have are all really good and function quite differently.

Cubed

FIIIINALLY getting around to playing Left Behind. I sold my PS3 and copy of TLOU right before the PS4 came out, so I couldn't play the DLC until now.

I'm in Chapter 3 of it. It's already almost as good as the main game; a great companion piece.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Ah, shit. So you can't do NG+ and boost it up one difficulty level? That sucks.

I get why they did it but it's kinda sucky.

border

Thanks Man.
I am listening now and most of the substantial spoiler discussion is actually in Idle Thumbs 115 and 122. If you search YouTube for "Idle Thumbs <episode number>" it will bring up episodes with time stamps and annotations so you can skip straight to Last Of Us discussions.

Just beat it tonight...I am so jealous of those experiencing this for the first time on PS4.. ah man, so many feels. Can't wait to play Left Behind finally tomorrow. Then its back to beat it on grounded. This game.... Its just so damn good.

I DID IT! I f-ing beat the basement level in Grounded, only took me 10 tries and almost all my ammo but it was worth it. Whoever decided to put a bloater near the door is a dick.

Mentok

Banned

Apparently there is a glitch you can do to be able to increase the difficulty in ng+. I may try that as I don't know if I want to do grounded twice lol.

Vaga

FortunateDecentBlackfish.gif

rafaelr

so for the
sewers (and its wandering stalkers) on grounded
:
bow > everything!
a molotov or 2 for
the final escape encounter
also helps.

So I wonder whats going on with the trophy tracking for Grounded+ it says that .03% have obtained the trophy but Grounded regular and Survivor+ are only at .01%. Curious.

Is there any way to keep the Photo Mode on, instead of manually turning it on for every gaming session? Sometimes I may forget and miss some really cool shots. =(

Ellite25

What utter nonsense.

The gunplay is some of the best I've ever experienced in a third person shooter. The melee while basic feels extremely weighty and satisfying. On Survivor difficulty and up the gameplay really shines as you have to be methodical and use every single thing at your disposal. The only terrible aspect is the friendly AI.
im playing on Grounded right now and I think the gameplay really shines in the higher difficulties like you said. It's not longer just about shooting, you are forced to incorporate stealth, shooting and melee into the combat and it just takes things to a whole other level. IMO that's the way to get the best experience out of it.

Vov

I am doing grounded for NG+ via the workaround and even though it's not intended to be done I recommend it. The fact that you also get both grounded trophies is just bonus. I played on Hard for my first playthrough.

im playing on Grounded right now and I think the gameplay really shines in the higher difficulties like you said. It's not longer just about shooting, you are forced to incorporate stealth, shooting and melee into the combat and it just takes things to a whole other level. IMO that's the way to get the best experience out of it.

Agreed, no other game is as intense and as satisfying as the last of us. There are times when I can feel my heart banging when engines are searching for me and I only have 2 bullets left. I'm often curious as to what difficulty the people who say the gameplay is generic are playing at, as playing at normal or easy would allow you to play it like a straight shooter.

Gekidami

Banned
I am doing grounded for NG+ via the workaround and even though it's not intended to be done I recommend it. The fact that you also get both grounded trophies is just bonus. I played on Hard for my first playthrough.
Doing my first playthrough on Grounded, what exactly is this "work around"?

What the heck is going on with this melee glitch? Me and a dude are swinging on each other for 10 seconds plus and nothing connects.

I think I have a video of it on my PS4. Anyone else see it?

Gekidami

Banned
What the heck is going on with this melee glitch? Me and a dude are swinging on each other for 10 seconds plus and nothing connects.

I think I have a video of it on my PS4. Anyone else see it?
Had that once on the PS3 version, if i recall correctly it was in the hotel in Pittsburgh.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
So how far am I? First playthrough of the game. I got bored with the slow as hell first hour and a half or so back on PS3 and shelved it, but am here giving it another shot again.

In the hotel. Ellie just had her first kill.

I'm wagering somewhere in the ballpark of 30-40%?

Gekidami

Banned
So how far am I? First playthrough of the game. I got bored with the slow as hell first hour and a half or so back on PS3 and shelved it, but am here giving it another shot again.

In the hotel. Ellie just had her first kill.

I'm wagering somewhere in the ballpark of 30-40%?

Lower, 15-20% i'd say. Theres still plenty of game after that part.

Top Bottom