• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm at work and all I can think of is playing more TLoU.

They seriously need a horde mode or some sort of crazy time trial mode to mess about it. This game is so damn addictive.
Me too. Plotting out my Grounded strategy for the high school.

All these black bars.

Each new page is looking more and more like some mega confidential FBI document.
Like you need to worry about getting spoiled

Andrew.

Banned
Like you need to worry about getting spoiled

Oh I know. It's just crazy lookin =D

And yo, I wont be trying that shiv cheat. Considering that someone said that you can potentially lose your melee weapon from it, I wont be taking that chance. Especially since Im doing either a Surivivor or Grounded run next.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Playing on Survivor after doing Grounded is crazy. The differences are pretty stark. For one, supplies are plentiful on survivor in comparison to grounded.

ruttyboy

I finally got time to play a bit of this tonight and now I'm worried about my PS4.

It took a long time (5-10 minutes+) to load up initially and I would have dismissed it as Naughty Dog initial loading times but the whole time the blu-ray drive was revving up, then stopping then revving up again, it didn't sound good.

Then when I finally got into a game the cutscenes would freeze but the audio would continue, then the visual part of the cutscene would sometimes skip and sometimes fast forward Benny Hill style to catch up with the audio.

This calmed down a bit after a restart but the drive is still constantly spinning up and seeking even when it's running fine.

Is this a normal side effect of it trying to install and run the game at the same time or is my blu-ray drive dying? Any similar experiences from anyone? Should I be worried?

Just finished my Hard playthrough. Game is just as bit as incredible as I remember from a year ago.

HjZ.jpg

But man, it says I only got 113/141 collectibles in the game. I seriously thought I looked at every corner possible. I'm gonna need to follow a guide for this..

Lots of the firefly pendants are not at all where you'd expect, they hang from trees, lightpoles etc and you need to throw a bottle/brick to knock them down. Unless you're looking up you won't even see them - I had no idea about this until I checked my guide.

if you ever used it to stab a clicker, you cant use it to open the door
Wow, that sucks. I've three shivs, and one has a bar of "life" left. I suppose I should just shiv someone and be done and over with it? I am playing on Survivor, so hopefully getting all of the shiv doors won't be as much of a worry as it would be for Grounded.

Lots of the firefly pendants are not at all where you'd expect, they hang from trees, lightpoles etc and you need to throw a bottle/brick to knock them down. Unless you're looking up you won't even see them - I had no idea about this until I checked my guide.

Everytime I was able to bring down a pendant hanging from a tree or a post I was like "man, that is some RE4 feels right there." Loved that ND did that.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I just tried doing the NG+ glitch but it didn't work, nothing carried over. Supplements are supposed to carry over right? I picked up the first pills and got no upgrades. What I did:

- Start NG+ on hard
- Beat first chapter
- Paused in the intro movie to ch2, saved, quit to main menu
- Started ch1 again with chapter select, picked survivor.

I did start a new save file for this, didn't overwrite anything. I realize now that I could probably immediately see if I did it right from the load game menu, it should say NG+.

No idea what went wrong.

Playing on Survivor after doing Grounded is crazy. The differences are pretty stark. For one, supplies are plentiful on survivor in comparison to grounded.

Oh, well, FUCK THAT then, because I just went about 3+ hours of playing without finding a single can of blades on Survivor. I literally jump up in excitement when ammo drops.

Sigh. I was hoping I would be able to hang with Grounded mode.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Having just played it, I can honestly say that Left Behind is even better than Minerva's Den.

The absolute highest praise possible from me.

Hubb

I just tried doing the NG+ glitch but it didn't work, nothing carried over. Supplements are supposed to carry over right? I picked up the first pills and got no upgrades. What I did:

- Start NG+ on hard
- Beat first chapter
- Paused in the intro movie to ch2, saved, quit to main menu
- Started ch1 again with chapter select, picked survivor.

I did start a new save file for this, didn't overwrite anything. I realize now that I could probably immediately see if I did it right from the load game menu, it should say NG+.

No idea what went wrong.

Not sure what you did wrong, but I just did the glitch last night to start my ground+ run and it worked. I did everything you did aside from pausing in the intro movie to ch2. I actually got to the point in chapter two where you are walking on the street with Tess than quit to main menu after saving. Not sure if that little bit matters or not.

Marvel

could never
Just wrapped up the basement and financial district on grounded. Took me nearly 5 hours.

My poor heart can't take this lol.

Oh, well, FUCK THAT then, because I just went about 3+ hours of playing without finding a single can of blades on Survivor. I literally jump up in excitement when ammo drops.

Sigh. I was hoping I would be able to hang with Grounded mode.

As someone who beat the game on survivor and grounded, supplies seemed pretty similar. Ammo drops are always random to some degree, there were times where I killed enemies and got nothing, and reloaded and somehow picked up 5 shotgun shells.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Not sure what you did wrong, but I just did the glitch last night to start my ground+ run and it worked. I did everything you did aside from pausing in the intro movie to ch2. I actually got to the point in chapter two where you are walking on the street with Tess than quit to main menu after saving. Not sure if that little bit matters or not.

I'm trying again, but this time I loaded my original game complete save first. It's weird though, the save file did say I was doing NG+, just had nothing carry over like I wanted.

And now it worked! My life bar is the upgraded one. Thank god, that was playing through ch1 4 times.

Garibaldi

The non triggering AI is really starting to piss me off and ruin my grounded run. I'm just about to leave Pittsburgh but the part with Ellie on sniper support?

God damn.

Easy to clean out the first group full on stealth, but the second group just spawns in the back and does nothing. They don't even move. I then have to manually trigger them by wandering into view or wasting ammo. It sets you up at a disadvantage.

Had the same issue in the bookstore when going down to the ground floor to clear. Doesn't help that if you get hit you're essentially dead and the checkpoint is 15 minutes ago.

I wait impatiently for an AI script note in the patch.

endgame spoilers
it amazes me how Marlene beats you to the location despite the injury she had and the headstart you had. Also that firefly guard at the beginning of Chapter 11 is such an arsehole XD

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
endgame spoilers
it amazes me how Marlene beats you to the location despite the injury she had and the headstart you had. Also that firefly guard at the beginning of Chapter 11 is such an arsehole XD
She probably had more reliable transportation through the firefly network and she headed straight for Salt Lake City whereas Joel and Ellie went to Wyoming and Colorado first.

milkham

endgame spoilers

she knew where she was going, had her own posse to travel with

Ellie was pissing me off in this game. Not due to her character, but due to AI.

Trying to take cover and move around corners, she kept getting in my way. Seconds matter.

I was very quietly sneaking around some oblivious enemies. Very small corridor, not much room for mistakes. Just as I am passing one, she runs straight into him which PUSHES him into me. Now I'm getting attacked by him and everything else in the damn room.

Later on I am standing at a distance from the
two bloaters
. I chuck a couple Molotovs over there and just laugh at them. I'm at a good distance so they are not aware of where I am. Here comes Ellie firing a couple shots and holy shit death is raining upon me instantly.

Damn girl keeps trying to get us killed.

murgo

Holy shit, Grounded is really something else. Something that's not for me :D Those checkpoints.. fuck me, I can't deal with this shit. I just
found the hunting rifle and keep fucking up at the second part after jumping down. Die, get thrown back to the first encounter. Fuck this...
I can't even imagine what this must be like in the later chapters. I'm throwing the towel.. Survivor it is then :( If they had kept the checkpoints I might have tried a bit longer, but this is something I really, really hate.

Holy shit, Grounded is really something else. Something that's not for me :D Those checkpoints.. fuck me, I can't deal with this shit. I just
found the hunting rifle and keep fucking up at the second part after jumping down. Die, get thrown back to the first encounter. Fuck this...
I can't even imagine what this must be like in the later chapters. I'm throwing the towel.. Survivor it is then :( If they had kept the checkpoints I might have tried a bit longer, but this is something I really, really hate.

Fucking weaksauce.
I've only played normal. :p

Raptor

So I was playing the Sniper part and was hiding in a house on the left side then all the sudden I see a enemy going right to me straight up, and by instict I aimed my Shorty and shot what happened next was glorious, the enemy got hit th left arm and rigth leg got destroyed and since there was a wall behind him the blood covered it all , is like heaven, this game gore is like the fucking best.

Garibaldi

I'm quite enjoying grounded (bar some AI quirks), but honestly I think Survivor is the sweet spot. The checkpoints in grounded are a little too far apart. Hard is a good entry level in my opinion (I started the PS3 version with hard), it teaches you to be patient and protective of your supplies just enough, while survivor and grounded actively punishes you for being wasteful. Pretend listen mode doesn't exist too, by switching it off and never going back. Easy is for trophy clean up, while I've never played normal.

Hoje0308

Banned
Finished my grounded run last night and went through Left Behind on hard today. Didn't have many troubles with either, though there were a few parts on grounded that demanded total perfection and nearly every chapter has a bit of a brown moment that's brought about by the tension of knowing that being spotted means death. I came across a few exploits though (
The last section of Pittsburgh and the High School come to mind
) that made things much easier. I also got really good at letting the (horrible) buddy AI do a lot of my dirty work for me, which freed up some ammo. If anyone has any questions about a particularly tough section feel free to ask.

Also, by the time I finished the main story I'd taken over 1,000 photos. I think I might have a problem.

So I was playing the Sniper part and was hiding in a house on the left side then all the sudden I see a enemy going right to me straight up, and by instict I aimed my Shorty and shot what happened next was glorious, the enemy got hit th left arm and rigth leg got destroyed and since there was a wall behind him the blood covered it all , is like heaven, this game gore is like the fucking best.

jipants.jpg

Yuterald

I'm starting to like the game a bit more the further I play. Only got up to the Capitol Building sequence back when I first played this on PS3 before I dropped it. Still playing through Grounded and just finished Bill's Town. Yo, that music that plays while
you're pushing the truck to get it started with Bill
was really, really cool. I think the game got better for me when Bill got introduced, actually.

Still, there's a few things about this game that really bug me and it totally breaks any sort of immersion the game may have had...

-First couple of hours/chapters has the player moving dumpsters/ladders/planks in-between encounters. All the walk-n-talk shit seems so not player-friendly for replays. I get that they were trying to play out the atmosphere/build the world at the beggining, but Christ, for all the ridiculous praise the game gets I think it's supper funny that I'm moving dumpsters around and hauling planks to cross gaps and such. Just feels dumb and looks silly.

-Ugh at the yellow "caution" idiot tape to guide players to "give me a leg up" ledges. That's like "what not to do" campaign game stuff. So awful.

-Still bothered by the fact that ally AI doesn't trigger enemies. What's even MORE strange is the fact that they become visible as soon as Joel is spotted. They'll start grabbing onto Ellie and crew once you're spotted if you continue to drag the fight out. I'm more or less accepting how everything works at this point, but I feel like the entire thing is fundamentally flawed. Again, any sort of "immersion" is completely out the window for me when I see Ellie wig out and dash in front of a Clicker yet somehow doesn't alarm the guy.

Mentok

Banned

Want my strat? Seemed to work every time.
When you start off, your first instinct is to sneak into the side room and take a long way around. You don't need to do this at all. You can crouch along the left side corridor, keeping an eye on the 2 guards in this room (one walking, the other staying at the end). Use a brick to distract the second guard to look away and then sneak past him (for me, he turned around so I booked it and lept the stairs, it worked.
Downstairs: immediately crouch down the right hallway and hold up behind a bench. Wait for the 3 guards to walk past you. sneak into the final room (watch for the roaming guard) and immediately crouch to the left. Using the cover walk all the way up to the door. Once the guards are facing away from the door, sneak out onto th street. No shots needed.

I'm finding grounded mode to be quite easy.

Although I've been (ab)using the ai a lot.

Got to the
basement section
with relative ease and a lot of supplies.

Hoje0308

Banned
It is only a problem if you don't share the good ones!

I have some work to do to get through all of them! I have a Flickr account that I was uploading to daily, but that stopped right after Pittsburgh. I'll comb through quick and find my favorites, then eventually share the entire folder. I have a habit of being a bit indecisive when it comes to choosing which variation of a picture I like, as the effects can dramatically alter tone.

Here's my Twitter feed in the meantime.

https://twitter.com/Hoje0308_GAF

Hubb

I have some work to do to get through all of them! I have a Flickr account that I was uploading to daily, but that stopped right after Pittsburgh. I'll comb through quick and find my favorites, then eventually share the entire folder. I have a habit of being a bit indecisive when it comes to choosing which variation of a picture I like, as the effects can dramatically alter tone.

Here's my Twitter feed in the meantime.

https://twitter.com/Hoje0308_GAF

I'm definitely checking it out. As cool as the Photo Mode is, I really haven't messed around with it much.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Is there any other game out there that has animations as good as this? I was having a heated debate with a mate of mine as he think The last Of Us has average animations. I respectfully disagree.

Raptor

Is there any other game out there that has animations as good as this? I was having a heated debate with a mate of mine as he think The last Of Us has average animations. I respectfully disagree.

AC games comes close no? the new one Unity has some killer animations IMO but they don't reach this though, Joel interacts with every single thing is a marvel to see.

master15

Just finished the campaign on Hard.

The game is still amazing and had me gripped through the entire play-through. Certainly one of the better games out there. I did encounter a handful of AI glitches/bugs during my play through which was disappointing (enemies running around the place like they were spazing out), a time where a context sensitive button didn't trigger even though the area was cleaned out and finally sound going out.

All in all a memorable experience now for DLC and multiplayer.

Your mate is off his rocker. "Best animations ever" is obviously hard to say, but it should be objectively agreed upon that TLoU animations are excellent, far from average.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Finished my grounded run last night and went through Left Behind on hard today. Didn't have many troubles with either, though there were a few parts on grounded that demanded total perfection and nearly every chapter has a bit of a brown moment that's brought about by the tension of knowing that being spotted means death. I came across a few exploits though (
The last section of Pittsburgh and the High School come to mind
) that made things much easier. I also got really good at letting the (horrible) buddy AI do a lot of my dirty work for me, which freed up some ammo. If anyone has any questions about a particularly tough section feel free to ask.

Also, by the time I finished the main story I'd taken over 1,000 photos. I think I might have a problem.
Please share your tips for the two spoilered areas. One of them is right where I'm at on Grounded and I'm dreading the other one.

Gamerloid

First time owning a Naughty Dog game. Game is pretty good so far. I just met Henry and Sam. Game is pretty scary. Glad to see a real survivor horror.

Superflat

TLOU Survivor mode on PS3 was among the top most intense and harrowing gaming experiences I've had. I loved my time in retrospect but I pretty much vowed to never play Grounded. But here I've been for the past 4 days doing just that.

I JUST finished
both infected areas with Ellie in the start of Winter
, so as far as I'm concerned, Grounded mode is as good as done. I love and hate it so much. I feel like I've shaved a few years off my life in the process but what's the point of living if you don't feel ALIVE?!

Top Bottom