• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Hoje0308

Banned
Please share your tips for the two spoilered areas. One of them is right where I'm at on Grounded and I'm dreading the other one.

I used a molotov on the runner that's in front of the desk. That gets the attention of the clicker and the second runner, killing them all. Go into the classroom and draw out the others, then let Bill take out the clicker while you run around throwing bricks at and then finishing the runners. The last part is trickier. Your goal is to get their attention by the gate, so that Bill can take care of them for you. Occasionally, one or two will manage to track you, but their pathing and timing is terrible, which means they will run all the way through the classroom and out the far door, then back down the hallway to you. This gives you plenty of time to throw a brick and finish them off, one at a time.

Once you make it into the gym,
the bloater takes a nail bomb and 2 or 3 blasts from the shotgun at (uncomfortably) close range. Kill him quick and you will have the runners to yourself. Once they're gone, get your supplies then get ready for ambush. After Bill and Ellie are up on the rafters, position yourself adjacent to where the runners will land after they jump out of the hole in the wall. Shoot the first guy with an arrow, then use bricks and movement to finish the sequence

In Pittsburgh,
there's an exploit in which you move next to the giant doors just after you start the generator and choke out enemies as they jump down. Timing is key, as you can take too long and then get spotted by the next guy. After that there are three guys left, which is a moment in which I made a mistake and managed to survive somehow. Improvisation is rarely successful on Grounded, but goddamn it's satisfying when it does work.

TLOU Survivor mode on PS3 was among the top most intense and harrowing gaming experiences I've had. I loved my time in retrospect but I pretty much vowed to never play Grounded. But here I've been for the past 4 days doing just that.

I JUST finished
both infected areas with Ellie in the start of Winter
, so as far as I'm concerned, Grounded mode is as good as done. I love and hate it so much. I feel like I've shaved a few years off my life in the process but what's the point of living if you don't feel ALIVE?!

That's how I feel. I'm debating if I should start Grounded+ straight away or wait a bit until I'm sure my heart can take it.

RoKKeR

Just finished. Absolutely phenomenal, even on the third play through. It's been over a year since I witnessed the ending scenes and man are they
brutal, beautiful, incredibly acted and directed, harsh, gut-wrenching
and absolutely fitting for such a game like this.

I can't wait to see what Druckmann does with the next game in this series.

I did have a weird bug at the end of
Winter... the fade to black where 'SUMMER' was supposed to pop up only flashed for like a second and totally threw me out of it haha

Also has anybody else had issues with audio recordings? Whenever i pick them up and press play the volume is so quiet that I absolutely can't hear anything, even when I turn the volume up. Happened on multiple occasions throughout the game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The mp matchmaking is so broken.
I wonder if too many people chose one side and that fucked up matchmaking since it can'r just throw everyone into a game and split them up after.

I used a molotov on the runner that's in front of the desk. That gets the attention of the clicker and the second runner, killing them all. Go into the classroom and draw out the others, then let Bill take out the clicker while you run around throwing bricks at and then finishing the runners. The last part is trickier. Your goal is to get their attention by the gate, so that Bill can take care of them for you. Occasionally, one or two will manage to track you, but their pathing and timing is terrible, which means they will run all the way through the classroom and out the far door, then back down the hallway to you. This gives you plenty of time to throw a brick and finish them off, one at a time.

Once you make it into the gym,
the bloater takes a nail bomb and 2 or 3 blasts from the shotgun at (uncomfortably) close range. Kill him quick and you will have the runners to yourself. Once they're gone, get your supplies then get ready for ambush. After Bill and Ellie are up on the rafters, position yourself adjacent to where the runners will land after they jump out of the hole in the wall. Shoot the first guy with an arrow, then use bricks and movement to finish the sequence

In Pittsburgh,
there's an exploit in which you move next to the giant doors just after you start the generator and choke out enemies as they jump down. Timing is key, as you can take too long and then get spotted by the next guy. After that there are three guys left, which is a moment in which I made a mistake and managed to survive somehow. Improvisation is rarely successful on Grounded, but goddamn it's satisfying when it does work.

That's how I feel. I'm debating if I should start Grounded+ straight away or wait a bit until I'm sure my heart can take it.
Thank you kind sir.

Hubb

I wonder if too many people chose one side and that fucked up matchmaking since it can'r just throw everyone into a game and split them up after.

hmm? It doesn't matter what side you pick. If it matches you up with the opposite faction, all you see is your faction.

daveo42

Banned
I made it for a 3rd time. Just beat the game on Hard. Whew...that ending...every time guys. Every fucking time.

Now do I run through a quick game of Left Behind or start up NG+? I want to tackle Grounded, but I feel like I'm going to be insanely frustrated with it in certain portions. End game
The hospital continues to confound me in terms of stealthing through. I can't find a good path and end up fighting dudes. Plus the AI keeps going all nuts on me. Hrm...

Oh well. Decisions decisions.

Hoje0308

Banned

Thank you kind sir.

Don't go thanking me just yet, all I've done give advice that may get you closer to Winter.

Foreboding jokes aside, the best advice I can give is to get comfortable with the idea of running around infected armed with bricks and bottles while trying to separate them so that you can go in for the kill. When combat isn't forced,
there's a trick in which you can limit your walking speed to below the threshold in which even stalkers can hear you by simply equipping a gun and then moving while aiming.
I also became much more aware of the AI's blind spots and hearing ability during my Grounded run, which made most encounters much easier.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
hmm? It doesn't matter what side you pick. If it matches you up with the opposite faction, all you see is your faction.
That makes far more sense than how I thought it worked.

Yo good luck in Winter dude...

You know what parts I'm talking about...

Don't go thanking me just yet, all I've done give advice that may get you closer to Winter.

Foreboding jokes aside, the best advice I can give is to get comfortable with the idea of running around infected armed with bricks and bottles while trying to separate them so that you can go in for the kill. When combat isn't forced,
there's a trick in which you can limit your walking speed to below the threshold in which even stalkers can hear you by simply equipping a gun and then moving while aiming.
I also became much more aware of the AI's blind spots and hearing ability during my Grounded run, which made most encounters much easier.
This difficulty is kicking my ass but I love and hate it equally. Been an interesting run so far.

Mikey Jr.

endgame spoilers
it amazes me how Marlene beats you to the location despite the injury she had and the headstart you had. Also that firefly guard at the beginning of Chapter 11 is such an arsehole XD

Also, you know, Joel got kinda....impaled.

That would usually slow someone down.....

Curufinwe

I wish the Fireflies had killed Joel in Salt Lake City. He's an insane psychopath and playing as him now feels disgusting. Hopefully he'll die an agonizing death at the end of the game.

leng jai

endgame spoilers
it amazes me how Marlene beats you to the location despite the injury she had and the headstart you had. Also that firefly guard at the beginning of Chapter 11 is such an arsehole XD

The other way around would have been far more amazing actually.

Goretrail

Joel got a daughter and Ellie got a father, how much more could you possibly expect?

I don't have an issue with that, I just have an issue with that being ALL there is. Joel and Elle hooking up as father and daughter was slap in the face obviousness from the start of the game. So as far as I am concerned there needs to be more. Some kind of twist. SOMETHING. Instead all I got was exactly what I was expecting. THAT is what I have a problem with.

drotahorror

Does anyone know what the Amazon pre order skins were? I beat the game, gimme my skins. I figured it would be in the bonus options but it's just shirts and whatnot like on PS3.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I really hope they patch that subway area, it's kinda insane how ugly it looks compared to everything else. Almost Silent Hill HD tier.

Superflat

Finished Grounded. Played it almost nonstop today starting at Fall. So exhausted.

To all my brothers and sisters in the Grounded club:

yzwSQ.gif

That was the ending everyone raves about? Wow. It didn't impress me at all.

I loved the rest of the game, though.
An ending meant to impress with *spoiled so folks won't know what NOT to expect*
explosions and the saving of a town or something bombastic would be a dud. It's the subtlety and ambiguity, despite how pretentious that may sound, that makes the ending. Causes discussion and reflection.

Hoje0308

Banned
That was the ending everyone raves about? Wow. It didn't impress me at all.

I loved the rest of the game, though.

I think it's great if you put it in context of each person's character. Joel and Ellie have a lot of similarities as far as outlook and the amount of loss each has experienced, but their actions and
sense of morality
are completely different.
I also like that, while he is a despicable person, the ending does go some way toward providing insight into the full breadth of Joel's character while also reinforcing the idea of his selfish nature. It's interesting to see how Ellie continues to depend on him, despite his lies and the fact that she can clearly take care of herself.
Naughty Dog didn't spell everything out, but there was a lot to learn from that ending.

Goretrail

An ending meant to impress with *spoiled so folks won't know what NOT to expect*
explosions and the saving of a town or something bombastic would be a dud. It's the subtlety and ambiguity, despite how pretentious that may sound, that makes the ending. Causes discussion and reflection.

Bullshit. The ending was exactly what I expected from the beginning and was boring and predictable. You would have to be brain dead not to see what happened coming a mile and a half away. The issue, for me at least, was not the lack of bombast but that there was nothing else to it. No big revelation, no twist, no nothing. Just what was obvious from the beginning. I really don't understand what is so amazing about this ending.

All I seem to be reading from the posts I am seeing on here today is "if you don't like it, then you just don't get it, man", hyperbole of corse. You can point to
the whole surgery thing
as some kind of backstabbing I guess, but that is rather weak sauce IMHO.

RoKKeR

Just finished Left Behind for the very first time. For starters, it was so refreshing and exciting to be playing TLoU story content that I had not yet played before. What a great little vignette to cap off the overall story and expose some really interesting story elements about Ellie's past.

I loved how
Left Behind is framed. You have a seemingly innocent and unknowing Ellie trying to cope with her best friend leaving and her "inevitable doom" caused by her bite, while getting harsh cuts back to her fighting tooth and nail to keep Joel alive in the worst of conditions. The dichotomy at play in the story, the nods to references in the main story, the moments of pure joy (I found myself grinning at multiple sections in the mall... Halloween Store, Merry-Go-Round, Joke Book, etc.) off-set by the heart-wrenching ending and dire circumstances TLoU Ellie is in all work to make it a perfect way to fill in some important gaps and close the chapter on such a great character in Ellie. (maybe?)

Anyways, it was really enjoyable and I'm happy I got to play it almost spoiler free (
Sans the kiss scene... fuckin' internet
) for the first time in the Remastered version of the game.

Hoje0308

Banned
Bullshit. The ending was exactly what I expected from the beginning and was boring and predictable. You would have to be brain dead not to see what happened coming a mile and a half away. The issue, for me at least, was not the lack of bombast but that there was nothing else to it. No big revelation, no twist, no nothing. Just what was obvious from the beginning. I really don't understand what is so amazing about this ending.

All I seem to be reading from the posts I am seeing on here today is "if you don't like it, then you just don't get it, man", hyperbole of corse. You can point to
the whole surgery thing

You might want to refrain from accusing people of being brain dead before attempting to distance yourself from hyperbole while also exhibiting a persecution complex.

leng jai

It's the nuances of the execution that make the ending for me. The wow factor isn't really the key component.

For me it's the intro sequence that is vastly overrated. The amount of times I've read someone say best introduction ever is insane.

the whole surgery thing

The execution and how it stays true to Ellie and Joel's characters. That's what we love about the ending, and the lack of twist is not really a problem. A lot of films have endings that you can see a mile away, doesn't make them any less great.

I understand that you don't like it, but the reasons on why you don't (the lack of bombast) is what we love about it. It's what Last of Us is about. More of a drama than a full on action movie.

RoKKeR

Umm, there isn't a post credit scene in Left Behind, right? I just skipped the credits to start the new game +
Don't believe so, no. Just finished and it when right back to the main menu after the final title splash.

It's the nuances of the execution that make the ending for me. The wow factor isn't really the key component.

For me it's the intro sequence that is vastly overrated. The amount of times I've read someone say best introduction ever is insane.
Bingo annnnnnnnnnnd double bingo.

Hoje0308

Banned

People looking to be wowed by bombast or a twist are seemingly tone deaf. As for the intro, I think what made it so great was the execution. It made me forget I was watching a game and allowed me to sympathize with the characters.

milkham

personally, i wasn't expecting
both of them to get through the game alive and not to have saved the world
. I don't see how that was predictable unless you were trying to figure it out based on what people were saying.

Goretrail

You might want to refrain from accusing people of being brain dead before attempting to distance yourself from hyperbole while also exhibiting a persecution complex.

I don't feel like I am accusing anyone of being brain dead. I am pretty sure everyone and their mom saw
Joel and Elle getting all father and daughtery
coming. It was obvious. Might as well have had a big neon sign flashing at the beginning of the game saying what was gonna happen. Someone would have had to have not seen that coming for my statement to be inflammatory, I don't think those people exist.

Goretrail

The execution and how it stays true to Ellie and Joel's characters. That's what we love about the ending, and the lack of twist is not really a problem. A lot of films have endings that you can see a mile away, doesn't make them any less great.

I understand that you don't like it, but the reasons on why you don't (the lack of bombast) is what we love about it. It's what Last of Us is about. More of a drama than a full on action movie.

Said the opposite, I DON'T care bout the lack of bombast. I just felt the ending was kinda flat. Did not have to be bombastic, just wanted it to be... Good. It was not BAD tho. It just obviously did not hit me in the feels like it did a lot of you. And that's fine. I guess I did not have to come in here with my head scratching, wondering why people liked it so much. Was just wondering if someone could explain to me something I was missing.

Hoje0308

Banned
I don't feel like I am accusing anyone of being brain dead. I am pretty sure everyone and their mom saw
Joel and Elle getting all father and daughtery
coming. It was obvious. Might as well have had a big neon sign flashing at the beginning of the game saying what was gonna happen. Someone would have had to have not seen that coming for my statement to be inflammatory, I don't think those people exist.

If you thought that was the sentiment conveyed by the ending, then I have to disagree.
If anything, the father/daughter aspect crumbled the second Ellie realized she could not only take care of herself but Joel as well. The situation inverts completely when she comes to see that Joel needs her far more than she will ever again need him. And again, the ending highlights the difference in each person's moral character, despite the shared experiences and similarities in experiencing loss. Despite having found himself in a situation that should have smoothed some of his edges, Joel's character is never really altered throughout the modern portion of the game. Ellie, on the other hand, has every reason to be increasingly cynical and yet that doesn't happen. To me, the game drove home the point that, while environment shapes personality, it is ultimately up to each of us to hold onto our humanity.

MacBosse

Oh boy. Hi fellow gaffers.

Longtime 360 player here, bought Xbox One on release. Been eyein' this game since it was released and was having this routine to hold and cradle a PS3 in the store everytime I went there. 'One day my beauty, one day' I passionately whispered onto the box with my eager breath foging up the plasticwrapping.

So freshly released from prison I got a PS4 just for this game. And oh boy is it awesome. I mean the opening had me on my seat like no game before it. It was a most needed feeling for the inner-gamer who had started to slumber. You know, the real OH SHIT moment. They don't come along that often! The build-up and pacing is truly a thing of beauty and I'm enjoying every moment of slowly making my way trough the game. Naughty Dog, you awesome collection of people you!

Sorry for the pointless post guys, just a Xbot (still at heart) expressing his love for one of the best gaming experiences I have ever played!

Bloody hell, after finishing the game I am emotionally drained. I think I'll have to wait for everything to sink in before beginning Left Behind.

Takuan

Beat the game. Disappointed
in Joel's decision, but it was well executed and I'm ultimately satisfied with the ending
. What a wild ride.

All in all, it's a very well executed game and definitely the best cinematic game I've experienced thus far. Still amazed that this was on PS3, even if it shows in the facial expressions, and even at 720p30 with low resolution assets. Makes me really eager to see what Naughty Dog can accomplish with Uncharted 4.

I'll start Left Behind tomorrow. Might even try my hand at mp, too.

the whole surgery thing

Twist/sudden plot revelation does not equate to "good story telling."

The best stories are not always the ones that are unpredictable, they are the ones that are told in a way that speaks to a larger truth. They are stories that make you feel what the characters feel, make you question your moral choices if you were them, and realize something about what it means to be human. This is why Joseph Campbell wrote The Hero With a Thousand Faces.

Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and many other great tales are all "predictable endings." Doesn't mean they aren't great stories.

burgerdog

Oh boy. Hi fellow gaffers.

Longtime 360 player here, bought Xbox One on release. Been eyein' this game since it was released and was having this routine to hold and cradle a PS3 in the store everytime I went there. 'One day my beauty, one day' I passionately whispered onto the box with my eager breath foging up the plasticwrapping.

So freshly released from prison I got a PS4 just for this game. And oh boy is it awesome. I mean the opening had me on my seat like no game before it. It was a most needed feeling for the inner-gamer who had started to slumber. You know, the real OH SHIT moment. They don't come along that often! The build-up and pacing is truly a thing of beauty and I'm enjoying every moment of slowly making my way trough the game. Naughty Dog, you awesome collection of people you!

Sorry for the pointless post guys, just a Xbot (still at heart) expressing his love for one of the best gaming experiences I have ever played!

This is why every gamer(if they can afford it) buy every console and quit the warrior job. So many amazing games spread throughout all consoles.

Servbot24

Banned

The best stories are not always the ones that are unpredictable, they are the ones that are told in a way that speaks to a larger truth. They are stories that make you feel what the characters feel, make you question your moral choices if you were them, and realize something about what it means to be human. This is why Joseph Campbell wrote The Hero With a Thousand Faces.

Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and many other great tales are all "predictable endings." Doesn't mean they aren't great stories.

Aye. I've never been as immersed in a character relationship in a video game as with Joel and Ellie (and though it's an aggravating one, it's a real one). A plot twist at the end would have completely jolted me out of it. ND made the brave choice to go "flat" at the end and it paid off extremely well.

Fully agree a lot of stories have twist/sudden plot revelation just for the sake of it end up making there stories worst .

What a fantastic game. All the hype kind of made me expect a bit more, but none the less, I loved every second of this game.

[END GAME SPOILERS]

I don't like
the way the Fireflies treated Joel. Oh hey, you just transported a possible cure for all of mankind 3/4ths the way across the entire freaking country by yourself. Let me just keep you guarded and threaten to shoot you if you just breathe at me wrong. Oh, and let's not even let Ellie choose if she wants to do this. Yeah, it would suck if she didn't want to, but I think she deserves at least the choice. I doubt she knew she would have to sacrifice herself, but at least let her choose.

Even at that point, what if they couldn't reverse engineer the disease? Then you just killed a 14 year old girl for no reason. A girl you swore to protect. (Though I doubt that would have been the case)

Also, if you wanted to transport her so bad, you should have done it yourself, you ungrateful sack of crap. You have who knows how many Fireflies to help you escort her, and you decide to let a lone smuggler do all the work? And then you start whining when he didn't make it?

Yeah, I understand Joel is selfish, and as long as he had control, he would have never let the Fireflies sacrifice her. But at the same time, I think he would have let Ellie do it if she wanted to do it. But then again, this is Joel we're talking about.

End rant. Absolutely loved the story. Can't wait to play the DLC.

murgo

Want my strat? Seemed to work every time.
When you start off, your first instinct is to sneak into the side room and take a long way around. You don't need to do this at all. You can crouch along the left side corridor, keeping an eye on the 2 guards in this room (one walking, the other staying at the end). Use a brick to distract the second guard to look away and then sneak past him (for me, he turned around so I booked it and lept the stairs, it worked.
Downstairs: immediately crouch down the right hallway and hold up behind a bench. Wait for the 3 guards to walk past you. sneak into the final room (watch for the roaming guard) and immediately crouch to the left. Using the cover walk all the way up to the door. Once the guards are facing away from the door, sneak out onto th street. No shots needed.

That sounds like a plan, thanks! I'll try doing that later. Seeing so many people finishing Grounded makes me wanna push on. I need to be strong..

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Thing is, I don't want to play 24 weeks worth of matches for those trophies. I've already spent too much time on SP as it is. :\
You should go for it. I was turned off at first too, but it sounds more daunting that it actually is. Each trophy can be knocked out over a single weekend. It kinda breezes by once you get into the surprisingly addictive meta game of keeping your camp alive.

I'm usually not a MP guy, but I'll admit it was a fun diversion. I'm glad I gave it a shot.

Said the opposite, I DON'T care bout the lack of bombast. I just felt the ending was kinda flat. Did not have to be bombastic, just wanted it to be... Good. It was not BAD tho. It just obviously did not hit me in the feels like it did a lot of you. And that's fine. I guess I did not have to come in here with my head scratching, wondering why people liked it so much. Was just wondering if someone could explain to me something I was missing.

Sorry for the misunderstanding your issue but here's why I love it so much. Ellie was saved and taken by Joel at the apparent cost of the human race, and his reasoning stayed true with his character who had lost his daughter and spent the rest of his life after as a despicable human being. He found someone worth caring for again, and losing her would be like losing his daughter all over again. Remember that he mentioned how hard suicide is. Prospect of him killing himself if he loses Ellie is high.

And this time, he could actually stop them from taking someone he has grown to care about; and he did.

Ellie on the other hand had recently lost her best friend and has seen people die all around her. She developed survivors guilt to that fact, worsen too by being immune to spores that has taken everyone else. She has also killed many to save herself and that cannot be easy for a pre-teen girl. Remember that she went quiet during spring. I reckon she already accepted that death can come to her and has expected that she might just be experimented upon by the Fireflies at the cost of her life. She was fine with it, and waking up in the car and knowing Joel giving a half-hearted lie frustrated her to no end.

She does care for Joel, and wishes that he took her life for the right reasons. She wanted him to swear to her that everything he said about the Fireflies being able to develop a cure without her is the truth, but she knew he lied. Her OK, was in a resigned tone that just speaks volumes about how she feels

So yeah for me; the execution for all that is amazing. The game got across what it wants to say and portray remarkably well.

So ran into a few problems with the trophies. I had one missing shiv door even though i did them all. So went through chapter select and found the last one. Then I notice i got the achievement for all the collectibles but not for artifacts. I had 80/85 artifacts and the chapter select was telling me it was in
Lakeside Resort
that i was missing the ones. So when i loaded up
as Ellie
I went through the items and flip them all. I would then save and exit and do it again. And i actually gain 1 each time I did this. So now im sitting at 84/85 and somehow still missing one from
Lakeside Resort

milkham

So ran into a few problems with the trophies. I had one missing shiv door even though i did them all. So went through chapter select and found the last one. Then I notice i got the achievement for all the collectibles but not for artifacts. I had 80/85 artifacts and the chapter select was telling me it was in
Lakeside Resort
that i was missing the ones. So when i loaded up
as Ellie
I went through the items and flip them all. I would then save and exit and do it again. And i actually gain 1 each time I did this. So now im sitting at 84/85 and somehow still missing one from
Lakeside Resort

could it be the comic you can find before meeting david?

beat the game on grounded last night, missed 4 shiv doors in total, 6,8,11,13. I know I can chapter select these doors but that would mean going through a chapter at grounded on its own.

So 2 questions

can I get these doors in grounded new game plus instead?

or can i replay those chapters at a lower difficulty, get them then new game plus on grounded without that difficulty glitch?

seems the scavenger trophy is glitched, i got that trophy when I know i didnt get all collectibles. I missed the ones behind the 4 dooors i mentioned

Top Bottom