• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

murgo

Finished my Easy+ playthrough and started Grounded+ immediately. It's been a long time since I played a game multiple times in such a short time. I love this shit <3

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I's possible to get it all done in one playthrough. The two shiv doors you might have missed:

There are two in Bill's town. The first is right before you prop Ellie over the locked gate as soon you are entering the town. Hard to miss. The second, however is much easier to miss. Once you get to the far end of town and go past the music store, a clicker will run into the first of Bills' traps. When you pass the trap and head right there's door to your right on a small set of steps. That's a shiv door.

The other possibility is in the underground tunnel. Right after Ellie gets attacked by the clicker and unlocks the gate for you, when you go through the door don't head left to the next ladder puzzle. Go right and there's a door right behind some debris.

All artifacts are attainable. An easy one to miss:

Make sure to go into Ellie's backpack and check out all of her artifacts. They count:). One of her artifacts is a note from her mom. Make sure you flip it around! It has two sides and if you don't read both sides the game doesn't count it.

Another easy one to miss:

Once you get out of the high school and find Bills partner. Go to the room and get his partners note. Give the note to Bill. He will crumple it up and throw it on the floor. PICK IT UP AGAIN! It counts as two!

I haven't run into any glitched conversations at all so I don't know what you mean in that regard.
Another easy to miss door
In winter, the second time you play as Joel there's one in an alley behind one of the abandoned apartments across the street from the car repair shop.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm about to start my first playthrough of Left Behind. Been waiting ages to play it. Since I have never played it I have been mulling over starting on hard or survivor (beaten the main story on survivor twice after an initial normal run)

I might just go with normal, I don't want to be frustrated even once.

Sorry to quote my own post here, but wow. Seriously fucking wow. I knew it would be good but I wasn't expecting that. LEFT BEHIND SPOILERS

This game is just so fucking confident in its ability to know when to let you just explore and when deliver some combat. I stood still for so long during this episode just observing things. The little touches like the carousel, water gun fight and arcade are just perfect (any other game would have had a cheapo asteroids knock off in that bit). Those moments between Ellie and Riley were just fantastic, and I just loved that they didn't force me to watch her die, they let Ellie describe it we'll enough in the main game.

I know that most of this would have already been said in the left behind thread but fuck it cos it's well worth saying again. All of the praise I have heaped upon it is also applicable to the main game, but when it's all condensed into a 2-3 hour feature length section, it really does drive home just how special this game is.

It will be a while before we see something like this again.

daveo42

Banned
I's possible to get it all done in one playthrough. The two shiv doors you might have missed:

There are two in Bill's town. The first is right before you prop Ellie over the locked gate as soon you are entering the town. Hard to miss. The second, however is much easier to miss. Once you get to the far end of town and go past the music store, a clicker will run into the first of Bills' traps. When you pass the trap and head right there's door to your right on a small set of steps. That's a shiv door.

The other possibility is in the underground tunnel. Right after Ellie gets attacked by the clicker and unlocks the gate for you, when you go through the door don't head left to the next ladder puzzle. Go right and there's a door right behind some debris.

Make sure to go into Ellie's backpack and check out all of her artifacts. They count:). One of her artifacts is a note from her mom. Make sure you flip it around! It has two sides and if you don't read both sides the game doesn't count it.

Once you get out of the high school and find Bills partner. Go to the room and get his partners note. Give the note to Bill. He will crumple it up and throw it on the floor. PICK IT UP AGAIN! It counts as two!

I haven't run into any glitched conversations at all so I don't know what you mean in that regard.

Well holy shit. Looks like I missed a few there. Finding all this stuff and hearing about it, I feel like it's almost like playing a new game. I actually found a new room I'd never been to in the first playthrough in one of the earlier sections.

kubus

So I beat Grounded and now well on my way of getting to the end of Grounded+. Problem is, I don't think I will be able to max all weapons this playthrough either.

Is there something like NG++ so I can do a third playthrough and still keep all my upgrades?

Or do you have to upgrade everything in 2 playthroughs max? I don't really want to deal with another playthrough after this, even though I love this game I still have a huge backlog that also needs my attention.

You have to view them all individually too, not just pick then up? Damn.

taizuke

is it impossible to get all collectables and shiv doors on first play through? I've missed 2 shiv doors so far because of lack of supplies, i'm playing on survivor.

also some conversations and jokes seem bugged and wouldn't appear.

Unless you do the infinite shiv trick i think it is impossible to unlock all shiv doors due to the lack of items no matter how hard you hoard them. Played Survivor twice on PS3 and was never able to open all doors.

shwimpy

So I beat Grounded and now well on my way of getting to the end of Grounded+. Problem is, I don't think I will be able to max all weapons this playthrough either.

Is there something like NG++ so I can do a third playthrough and still keep all my upgrades?

Or do you have to upgrade everything in 2 playthroughs max? I don't really want to deal with another playthrough after this, even though I love this game I still have a huge backlog that also needs my attention.
There are infinite new game pluses.

First play through,
I killed everyone in that room at the end. I burst through the door saw what was going on and killed all of them as quickly as I could aim my gun.

[/SPOILER]

I only killed the dude with the gun. Once I saw the women cowering in the corners I let them be, however I did consider for a moment shooting them as well. I thought it was a really fun moment for letting me choose like that. I can't remember any moments quite like it in other games. Usually the distinction of enemy/friend is very clearly cut and there is little moral decision-making involved. Not once did I second guess killing an infected or any of the random thugs. These girls I actually had to think about. I'd love more moments like that in future TLOU games.

The decision took a little more thought because they were not truly neutral faceless NPCs like a lot of games have. They were unarmed, but they were actively involved in something opposed to my character. They didn't just emit a canned scream and run in a random AI direction, either. They were scripted more real than that. Very nice. Do you shoot an unarmed "enemy" that has no intention of fighting you? Not a situation often encountered in such a way.

funkypie

Banned

I know the shiv door locations I used a guide lol. Already cleared game on ps3 when I didn't care about the collectables then. I literally didn't have enough blades to make shivs. And i never upgraded the melee weapon or made a bomb. Both doors I missed so far are in Pittsburgh. The first one was the big x before the hotel. Played on hard on ps3 don't remember needing 4 blade pieces to get one blade.

Does the infinite shiv bug work on ps4?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I know the shiv door locations I used a guide lol. Already cleared game on ps3 when I didn't care about the collectables then. I literally didn't have enough blades to make shivs. And i never upgraded the melee weapon or made a bomb. Both doors I missed so far are in Pittsburgh. The first one was the big x before the hotel. Played on hard on ps3 don't remember needing 4 blade pieces to get one blade.

Does the infinite shiv bug work on ps4?
It does

sjay1994

Holy shit.

Ellie did something amazing in my game.

Im on my survivor plus playthrough, and am at the part
right after Joel gives ellie a gun and when you go up the steps the two guys spawn
. I need some ammo. So as these guys are going down the steps I sneak up on one and grab him. I realize I have no bullets to shoot the other one, so I am about to execute the one I grabbed,

Suddenly Ellie vaults over the railing, lands on the other guy and starts stabbing him. I then executed the guy I grabbed.

Fucking awesome.

I wish there was a high five ellie button implemented into the full game.

The ending is especially baffling to me after all the "Zomg! That ending!" comments I kept seeing. I did not need Joel or Elle to die or anything, but SOMETHING would have been nice, instead It just felt like a shart. Like they suddenly realized that they were running a little long on the playtime and were like "Oh shit! We need to end this thing!" Complete lack of any epicness to the final battle was very deflating as well.

You're probably gonna get your fair share of silly/overly reactive replies to this, but I'll take the measured route: let it stew for a while. Look at Joel's entire journey, and contrast the ending with the other area ND has chosen to highlight for the player, the intro. As a good story should, the intro and everything in between drives Joel, irreversibly, towards
his final decision, and his final two words, in the game.

To me, it's the perfect ending.

Unless you do the infinite shiv trick i think it is impossible to unlock all shiv doors due to the lack of items no matter how hard you hoard them. Played Survivor twice on PS3 and was never able to open all doors.

One playthrough on normal gives you MORE than enough in the way of shivs to get all of the doors and then some.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
So I might come around to starting my Grounded playthrough.

Can any Grounded vets care to list me the most brutal sections in the game while on this difficulty?

xion4360

I want to hear every conversation the game has to offer. Do I need to do it in a single playthrough to get the trophy?

no. If you know what you missed just replay the section and hit it.

One playthrough on normal gives you MORE than enough in the way of shivs to get all of the doors and then some.

you dont need to replay the entire game either way. if you miss one you can load up the earlier area and skip any shiv doors on the way. as long as you open the one you missed you still get the trophy.

Game stats are saved independently of your game save so if you have 2 saves and unlock bonuses with money earned in one it wont matter if you delete that save.

Raptor

I only tried it to see if you could do it stil. I don't recommend using it. I won't tell you until you finish, Raptor. It's better this way.

You are awesome!!

Another thing I can say about this game is that is addictive, like I want to at least play an encounter, advance a little more every day, doesn't matter how much I just want to be there with them, hot damn this game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
You are awesome!!

Another thing I can say about this game is that is addictive, like I want to at least play an encounter, advance a little more every day, doesn't matter how much I just want to be there with them, hot damn this game.
That's the same way I feel about this game. Even if there was no combat, I just love walking around the world and taking everything in. Everything in the environment tells a story and I just love to imagine the rich history that lies in every room.
Infinite shivs?

Where's the fun in that?

tell me how to do it
Raptor, don't you dare read this.

Have a weapon with the blade upgrade equipped and stand over a standard melee weapon so that the swap icon appears. Craft a shiv and quickly switch melee weapons then immediately pick the bladed one back up. You'll get the supplies for a shiv back and can make another one. Repeat until full.

Andrew.

Banned

Have a weapon with the blade upgrade equipped and stand over a standard melee weapon so that the swap icon appears. Craft a shiv and quickly switch melee weapons then immediately pick the bladed one back up. You'll get the supplies for a shiv back and can make another one. Repeat until full.

Oh shit that's nuts.

I...I dont know if I want to do that. That's like TOO cheaty for me. I do have my limits =P

funkypie

Banned
That's the same way I feel about this game. Even if there was no combat, I just love walking around the world and taking everything in. Everything in the environment tells a story and I just love to imagine the rich history that lies in every room.

Ha so I need 8 blades just to do that... upgrade melee and enough for a shiv lol.

Kak.efes

Started playing grounded last night, and rooms which would ordinarily have two to three pieces of scrap now have nothing. You're lucky to come across a room that has anything. I stopped at the beginning of Pittsburgh, and all I have is a brick, and a log.

Should I be engaging more enemies? So far I've tried to just stealth through areas, and I've been really successful, but I can't continue on this way if I'm getting nothing in the way of ammo, and scrap.

Raptor

I would literally ruin my experience if I did that shiv cheat, I want to feel like I did the right way.

On easy however.....

:p

BadHand

Started playing grounded last night, and rooms which would ordinarily have two to three pieces of scrap now have nothing. You're lucky to come across a room that has anything. I stopped at the beginning of Pittsburgh, and all I have is a brick, and a log.

Should I be engaging more enemies? So far I've tried to just stealth through areas, and I've been really successful, but I can't continue on this way if I'm getting nothing in the way of ammo, and scrap.

I am also at Pittsburgh on grounded and even stealth killing enemies from behind provides very few drops, 1 bullet every several kills or so.

funkypie

Banned
The sewers bit with the large area is quite hard on survivor. You can't seem to sneak without getting sporting instantly and I have no arrows. Not found a single one since I got the bow.

iSqdMLjYrguba.gif

Oh my god. I am glad that I did four playthroughs without knowing this, would have changed everything in a negative way.

kubus

So I might come around to starting my Grounded playthrough.

Can any Grounded vets care to list me the most brutal sections in the game while on this difficulty?
For me, these sections gave me the most trouble:

- Escaping the Capitol Building (no checkpoint, gotta go stealth but easy to get caught)
- Getting in and out of the High school with Bill (have to save ammo for Bloater but the parts before that battle are really tough to get past without using guns or supplies)
- Hunters in Pittsburgh in the Kingston bookstore (no checkpoint, gotta do flawless stealth because if you're seen 6 new enemies spawn and they tend to search for you in groups)
- Entire hotel section (easy to be seen, NO CHECKPOINTS, seemingly endless enemies if caught)
- Hotel basement (not that hard if you use a good strategy and do things in the right order, but once again no checkpoints so if you fuck up, gotta do everything all over again)
- Part where Ellie backs you up with rifle (game won't proceed without going into open combat so you can't fully stealth this)
- Escaping the city with Sam and Henry (many enemies, very hard to stealth as enemies are on alert as soon as you disable the generator)
- Sewer battle with stalkers (either use a lot of ammo/supplies or run)
- The Sniper (oneshot kill = not fun. Also no checkpoints. Prepare to get annoyed by hearing "I CAN STILL FUCKING SEE YOU" every minute)
- Tommy's Dam (only one checkpoint... After the two hardest areas. Enemies have magic aiming. They don't drop ammo and you probably don't have a lot on hand to begin with. Friendly AI beyond stupid. Fuck this part, seriously)
- Fight with David in the cabin. (No checkpoint, miss one shot and you'll want to restart)
- Final infected battle with David + bloater (No checkpoint again, small space + stupid David Ai + insta-death infected fucking everywhere)
- Hospital (no checkpoints at all. So risk of losing a lot of progress is high)

It's worth it though. The lack of supplies keeps you on your toes all the time and no HUD makes this the ultimate LoU experience. But the removal of some checkpoints was a stupid decision imo, it makes some parts just really frustrating to play.

Just finished my Hard playthrough. Game is just as bit as incredible as I remember from a year ago.

HjZ.jpg

But man, it says I only got 113/141 collectibles in the game. I seriously thought I looked at every corner possible. I'm gonna need to follow a guide for this..

KZObsessed

Just completed the game on Grounded, 20.5 hour epic. The enemy encounters were by far the most intense I've ever encountered. This and Kz2 are my favourite games ever in terms of combat and there were so many great levels in this. Loved it.

Now there's Left Behind which I've never played before and Grounded+ I guess. :D

Replaying a chapter on easy won't mess with the New Game + stuff right? Want to see if I can find the conversation I missed, and I'm hoping it's in Winter where I also had two artifacts not register for some reason.

I only killed the dude with the gun. Once I saw the women cowering in the corners I let them be, however I did consider for a moment shooting them as well. I thought it was a really fun moment for letting me choose like that. I can't remember any moments quite like it in other games. Usually the distinction of enemy/friend is very clearly cut and there is little moral decision-making involved. Not once did I second guess killing an infected or any of the random thugs. These girls I actually had to think about. I'd love more moments like that in future TLOU games.

The decision took a little more thought because they were not truly neutral faceless NPCs like a lot of games have. They were unarmed, but they were actively involved in something opposed to my character. They didn't just emit a canned scream and run in a random AI direction, either. They were scripted more real than that. Very nice. Do you shoot an unarmed "enemy" that has no intention of fighting you? Not a situation often encountered in such a way.

I made the same decision.
I went in kinda slow. I think the first guy had a scalpel, maybe. I don't remember, it was 1230 at night and I was super tired. Anyway, I just killed him, then sat there for like 30 seconds looking at the other 2 and then decided to leave them be.

Then I kind of giggled as i watched Ellies arms flop around as i ran around the hospital

Mentok

Banned
Starting my grounded playthrough and am
about to escape the city with Sam and Henry
. To be quite honest, I haven't ran into a lot of really troublesome areas. The
hotel and basement were not at all hard if you played the game once before, solid strat works.
The areas that took me a long time so far were:
The museum top-floor with all the runners - because I was trying to do melee only. Ended up just using a molotov for an easy clear in the end.
Ellie sniping support - the enemies kept changing what they would normally do, I'd get spotted when noone was around, and there were quite a few weird interactions. For example, one time a molotov guy jumped over the window and set himself on fire. Another time I was choking a guy (or at least that's what my animation showed) and then I heard the sound for me getting hit by his bat (no one else around us) and I was dead. My favourite was when all the enemies froze for the easy kill, only for the second wave to never spawn in.
I'm ending most levels on life-support, but love the survival attitude. it's just too bad that this playthrough (my 3rd) has exposed so many glitches and weird game flaws. I hope I can
escape the city in peace, I'm literally down to one touch killing me.

Hubb

But man, it says I only got 113/141 collectibles in the game. I seriously thought I looked at every corner possible. I'm gonna need to follow a guide for this..

I don't know, I think it has some issues. I know I opened all shiv doors and the trophy didn't pop for me, and it says I am missing 2 firefly pendants that I also know I got. I'm going to do chapter select and get them and hopefully the trophy pops.

I'm at work and all I can think of is playing more TLoU.

They seriously need a horde mode or some sort of crazy time trial mode to mess about it. This game is so damn addictive.

Top Bottom