• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

You are not alone. It seems like it happens a lot during TLOU gameplay for some reason. I never had the problem with GoW or Killzone

I never thought about it being game related. It always seemed random to me and at home I will sit on a balance ball 3feet away from the TV.

I always figured it was related to signal interference or something from all of the wireless devices around our apartment complex.

I'm at the Sniper on Grounded, best route? tried being sneaky and going left but there's tons of dudes that know I'm coming :(

On hard I stealth killed everybody but the guard on the catwalk on the right hand side. Then I threw a bottle at him to get his attention and then took cover and let Ellie kill him.

The next flood of guys I did basically the same way. I am not sure if their hearing is more sensitive on grounded because I haven't gotten there yet. I was able to stealth the museum area pretty easily on grounded though.

milkham

GAF, so far I'm amazed by the game...I'm about 2-3 hours in and the story, characters and graphics are top notch (even the gameplay...why are people saying the gameplay is subpar!?). One question though. I'm playing on normal and I've probably died 20 times already...is this par for the course? I'm trying to go stealth as much as possible but have been overrun by clickers so many times.

I don't understand. I'm having the same problem and I'm kinda taking a break from the game due to frustration.

What should I be using the bricks for? Hitting enemies from range? Throwing as a distraction? Beating them to death? Seems no matter what I try I get rushed and killed.

are there specific areas you guys are having trouble with?
some general tips:
most of the time you don't have to kill everyone
some encounters can be bypassed entirely (sometimes you don't have to kill anyone)
its ok to run away
if you're getting rushed, try running back to another area or forward and spreading the pack out so you can deal with one at a time.
sometimes its ok to let stealth go and fight, you'll have to improvise with bricks, the environment, running, melee combat and guns, but in some encounters this can be easier than constantly failing at stealth.

Data Ghost

I don't know. I'm just not feeling this game. I completed it on PS3 and wondered why I couldn't really remember it very well. Having started again on PS4 I can see why, I just find it...overrated. I don't think much of the remaster, the graphics just don't look that great and Im struggling to find anything pretty enough to fire up photo mode for. I had also forgotten the last gen clunky movements such as a character 'sliding' into place to climb a ladder/open a door etc.

EDIT: Oh, and what the FUCK is up with the PS4 fans during this game?! They kick in during the title screen and don't let up for the whole game. At least with other games they spin down regularly. The problem here is late at night, trying to have a scary gaming session in the dark, the tension is building with one of many almost silent scenes with faint background noises and the PS4 is like "VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV!!!" Absolutely ruining the moment.

I finished it on Hard last night. It may just be my favourite single player story of all time. The ending was brilliant - I haven't been able to think of anything else all day.

I have about 40 collectibles left to get, is Chapter select the best way to get them?

Curufinwe

I don't know. I'm just not feeling this game. I completed it on PS3 and wondered why I couldn't really remember it very well. Having started again on PS4 I can see why, I just find it...overrated. I don't think much of the remaster, the graphics just don't look that great and Im struggling to find anything pretty enough to fire up photo mode for.

That's why the photo thread is so small. It's an ugly game with nothing worth savoring.

That's why the photo thread is so small. It's an ugly game with nothing worth savoring.

1443.gif

Ellite25

Are you outside or inside? I had a harder time outside than inside.
I just got inside. Took my a few times outside to down all the enemies. I ended up standing on top of a bus and kicking the runners off every time they tried to climb up lol

Inside though, I made it to the part where you get into the classroom and two runners and a clicker appear out of a door on the far end. Took me about 5-6 tries to get to that point. They spotted me immediately, I ran out the door they entered through only to find 3 more infected in that hall.

Holy crap. I am pretty frustrated right now. I've never played The Last of Us, and I recently picked up the remastered edition. I was really enjoying the game until
the area after meeting up with Tess after having Ellie. I'm at the portion where the military guy comes into the building with everyone hiding inside. Tess says "Hey, see if you can distract him." I throw a brick and he turns around and looks, and so does every other person in the area. The second I try to strangle the bastard, I get riddled with bullets. For how unbelievably stupid the AI just was while I was just crawling around in plain view in a trench, this sudden jump in difficulty where it seems damn impossible to get by this asshole is very frustrating. It makes the stealth system seem stupid and frustrating. I really just want to advance in the god damn game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Holy crap. I am pretty frustrated right now. I've never played The Last of Us, and I recently picked up the remastered edition. I was really enjoying the game until
the area after meeting up with Tess after having Ellie. I'm at the portion where the military guy comes into the building with everyone hiding inside. Tess says "Hey, see if you can distract him." I throw a brick and he turns around and looks, and so does every other person in the area. The second I try to strangle the bastard, I get riddled with bullets. For how unbelievably stupid the AI just was while I was just crawling around in plain view in a trench, this sudden jump in difficulty where it seems damn impossible to get by this asshole is very frustrating. It makes the stealth system seem stupid and frustrating. I really just want to advance in the god damn game.
Throw the brick at him, auto aim should lock on his head, then sprint at him and melee. Takes him out without drawing attention and you fan easily walk by everyone else.

Andrew.

Banned

Are you outside in the pouring rain? If so, you can just book it to the other side without having to do much of anything.

Fuck you scary ass
hotel basement.

Fuck you!!!!!!!!! Although did it on my 3rd go on grounded, still not finding the game tough though.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Fuck you scary ass
hotel basement.

Fuck you!!!!!!!!! Although did it on my 3rd go on grounded, still not finding the game tough though.

That was definitely the creepiest part of the game for me.

Absolutely. With the headphones on....seriously.
I said it earlier but that's one of those parts so memorable where you can just say "the basement" and everyone will immediately know EXACTLY what you're talking about.

Throw the brick at him, auto aim should lock on his head, then sprint at him and melee. Takes him out without drawing attention and you fan easily walk by everyone else.

Thanks, that worked. I just don't get how bashing a guys face in with a plank drew less attention than me strangling him while all of his buddies were looking at the brick I just threw.

Barrylad

Neo Member
Tommy's dam
on grounded is just absolute hell. Also, and this isn't news to me or anything, but goddamn is the allied AI truly awful in this section. Shooting guys I have as human shields, bumping into me and obstructing me from cover, resulting in countless deaths.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
God damn the final fight on Left Behind on survivor was something.

I think I got really lucky actually.
Before the main fight where you go through the final area filled with infected and hear some guys coming down, I tossed a single brick and they all killed eachother with one guy surviving, who I took out with a single arrow. During the last fight this almost happened again, but two people survived the infected rush.

Somehow managed to not die at all which I will consider a mini-miracle. I recall dying a handful of times on Hard when I first did it on PS3.

Is the subway level right after Capitol building supposed one big murky green mess?

No. I have no idea what the hell happened there.

I like when you dive underwater and everything looks amazing.

Andrew.

Banned
So why do the guys always become alert when I try to strangle him? Is it because they are alert after I have thrown the brick?

Theyre always alert, but yeah they probably see you doing it because theyre walking towards the general vicintiy of where you are or where you threw the brick.

milkham

Tommy's dam
on grounded is just absolute hell. Also, and this isn't news to me or anything, but goddamn is the allied AI truly awful in this section. Shooting guys I have as human shields, bumping into me and obstructing me from cover, resulting in countless deaths.

I tried this yesterday
run past everyone in the first area, up the stairs, through that room with the map in it, jump out the window. you may take a little damage, you may need to melee kill a guy but if you can get out to the bridge area fast enough you can get to the door they come out of first, and if you have a nail bomb, just toss it by the door and wait for them to come BOOM
then you just have to clean up the last couple guys inside

Andrew.

Banned
Tommy's dam
on grounded is just absolute hell.

Yep that's where I gave up. Fuck that noise. Love the game to bits but it aint worth that much frustration for me personally. I wouldve been able to get through it if they didnt dick you over with the checkpoint. Having to do that entire interior fight on top of the battle outside was just too much.

Jim

So why do the guys always become alert when I try to strangle him? Is it because they are alert after I have thrown the brick?

I'm pretty sure you're forced to follow the game's instructions at that part: throw brick then melee to finish him. It's not usually like that.

Daffy Duck

God damn the final fight on Left Behind on survivor was something.

I think I got really lucky actually.
Before the main fight where you go through the final area filled with infected and hear some guys coming down, I tossed a single brick and they all killed eachother with one guy surviving, who I took out with a single arrow. During the last fight this almost happened again, but two people survived the infected rush.

Somehow managed to not die at all which I will consider a mini-miracle. I recall dying a handful of times on Hard when I first did it on PS3.

No. I have no idea what the hell happened there.

I like when you dive underwater and everything looks amazing.

I don't think it's supposed to be like that, no :(

At least I hope not anyway...

Oh good. It looks terrible, and as you say you dive underwater and it looks fantastic. How very odd.

Yep that's where I gave up. Fuck that noise. Love the game to bits but it aint worth that much frustration for me personally. I wouldve been able to get through it if they didnt dick you over with the checkpoint. Having to do that entire interior fight on top of the battle outside was just too much.

if you can get to the door they spawn from on the outside part, throw a molotov, takes them all out

kubus

Tommy's dam
Yeah it's bullshit on Grounded. I vented about it a couple pages back too.

Decided to watch this vid and use this exploit (same one milkham just described).

That part is a horrible mess on Grounded, there was no need to remove that checkpoint.

Played Left Behind for the first time, It's decent but nowhere near as good as the main game. It had a much more lighthearted tone compared to the sad and depressing main story. Also i felt the scene with ellie and riley was a bit forced.

Jjust watched the movie The Road last night too and now im gonna replay the main game :) 2 great experiences back to back.

terrible

Banned
Tommy's dam

After the hell that was
Pittsburgh
I found it laughably easy.
I just let the AI do most of the work.

Artex

Banned
Tommy's dam

I noticed some bumpage from the allies in that part too, but it only took me 3 tries to get through nonetheless.

just finished it, game is amazing. i loved the gameplay as well as the story, this is so much better than uncharted i hope uc4 is the end of that or druckman makes uncharted gameplay as satisfying as tlou

Top Bottom