• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Apath

Does anyone else feel that the game play detracts from the story in this game? Just got to the power plant, and the story interruption was actually annoying.

Honestly this game is like Resident Evil 4 with a much better story and somewhat worse gameplay.

Pro

Playing through Grounded at a really slow pace (which I'm fine with since I've already finished it twice)

Such disappointment after opening the first Shiv Door. These used to be so exciting with all the stuff that would be inside. Now you waste a shiv for a few pills and upgrade pieces.

Does anyone else feel that the game play detracts from the story in this game? Just got to the power plant, and the story interruption was actually annoying.

Honestly this game is like Resident Evil 4 with a much better story and somewhat worse gameplay.

no way is the gameplay worse the re4 but then again im not a fan on re and find the series extremely boring. i loved how u can play the whole game in a stealthy approach because i really like stealth games. the guns are also very satisfying to use so sometimes i just went rambo mode. great gameplay

Apath

no way is the gameplay worse the re4 but then again im not a fan on re and find the series extremely boring. i loved how u can play the whole game in a stealthy approach because i really like stealth games. the guns are also very satisfying to use so sometimes i just went rambo mode. great gameplay
I should have clarified that I do not think the game play is bad in any way, the story is just that good.

And Resident Evil 4 is one of my favorite games of all time, so saying the game play is not as good isn't so much of a knock against the game as the comparison to RE4 is a compliment.

Andrew.

Banned
Playing through Grounded at a really slow pace (which I'm fine with since I've already finished it twice)

Such disappointment after opening the first Shiv Door. These used to be so exciting with all the stuff that would be inside. Now you waste a shiv for a few pills and upgrade pieces.

Yeah it's always a gamble.

Ill tell you this though, dont waste a shiv on the door at Tommy's dam.

However, the door with the red X on it in Pittsburgh is a good one.

123rl

Ok so I'm fairly sure I'm at the end now
hospital

I know I said that the last time I posted in here, but this time I mean it.
this was just before Winter
Someone even quoted me and said I've got one big event left. Was it only one? Because I don't know which one he was referencing...it could easily have been any of five or six massive moments that happened from that point

This game...this fucking game. I absolutely love it.

Pro

Yeah it's always a gamble.

Ill tell you this though, dont waste a shiv on the door at Tommy's dam.

However, the door with the red X on it in Pittsburgh is a good one.

Good to know. I'm guessing I'm going to focus real heavily on avoiding everything as much as possible in this play session though so I shouldn't need them for Clickers, thus leaving them free for doors. Was kind of annoyed at having to waste a shiv on the Clicker by the ladder real early on as well. Joel could take that ladder down quietly....yeah right.

Andrew.

Banned
Good to know. I'm guessing I'm going to focus real heavily on avoiding everything as much as possible in this play session though so I shouldn't need them for Clickers, thus leaving them free for doors. Was kind of annoyed at having to waste a shiv on the Clicker by the ladder real early on as well. Joel could take that ladder down quietly....yeah right.

The two doors in Bill's are decent too.

murgo

I just hit the school in Grounded. Fuck, it's hard getting through there.

Yup. I'm extremely close to pulverizing my DS4. I fucking HATE Grounded mode. I hate it with all my heart.
The ally AI is the biggest pile of garbage I've ever seen. They keep shoving the infected around as if they are in a fucking mosh pit. Using the shotgun you carry on your back? Naah... let's just push each other.

Insaniac

Finished the game, and there's one quirk I noticed that bothers me about the game.

Its irritating that I'm "punished" so to speak for playing stealthily and conserving resources at certain parts of the game. With the maximum amount of ammo and mats that I can carry, I find myself completely full. At that point, going stealth yields little reward for a tremendous amount of effort.

While its neat that the game lets you "choose" how you engage enemies or approach situations, taking the stealth approach is pointless besides the self-satisfaction of saying you did it. (Except maybe for some choice parts with bloaters)

as an example (end of game spoilers)

when i'm rescuing Ellie from the hospital, the first part you engage the fireflies, I stealth killed at least 15 fireflies, using my bow, shivs, and carefully waiting and watching their movement patterns. Each time I managed to stealth kill a group of 3 or 4 fireflies, 5 more would spawn which is the opposite of what should be happening when taking a stealth approach. It took me approximately 1 1/2 hours to get through this part using stealth.

When I watched my brother play through that part (his first time) he literally threw one nail bomb, and blew up three guys, and then ran to the next part in a matter of 30 seconds, and no more enemies spawned.

I actually used MORE resources than him, counting shivs, molotovs, arrows and such.

And yes, I understand the reasoning of limiting how much I can carry.

Perhaps Im just venting. At that point in the game, it was probably wiser to just use my stocked up resources.

K' Dash

Just got my Gold Headset! right now I'm testing with music at work, 2 more hours till I can go home and plug this baby to my PS4 :drooooolllllllll:

Pro

How do you apply the pre-order outfits for story mode? I have them downloaded and installed on my PS4 but I can't find any option to turn them on.

I'm at another sticking point now.
I'm at the point where there is a clicker right by a ladder at the end of toppled office building. I try to stun/distract him with the bricks and bottles, but I can't stealth kill him. I have a shiv. If I try to bash him with a plank, the whole building comes after me. This really is becoming very frustrating very fast.

K' Dash

Don't forget to download the headset companion app and load the last of us profile!!

Oh man, Ooooh maaaannn.

ImyxqG1.gif

Insaniac

I'm at the point where there is a clicker right by a ladder at the end of toppled office building. I try to stun/distract him with the bricks and bottles, but I can't stealth kill him. I have a shiv. If I try to bash him with a plank, the whole building comes after me. This really is becoming very frustrating very fast.

the clicker is just standing there, not clicking, so you can approach him head on and grab/shiv him easily without alerting the other enemies. I was highly confused there at first too

There's no room to just sneak past them? You don't always have to kill them.

Pro

the clicker is just standing there, not clicking, so you can approach him head on and grab/shiv him easily without alerting the other enemies. I was highly confused there at first too

Yeah I was just talking about that part too. You gotta shiv that mofo no other way around it. Unless you wanna use a loud ass gun and alert everything else. Grab with triangle and shiv with triangle if you didn't know.

it actually spawned 6 full alert enemies for no reason (FYI there are no 'waves' here)

anyone doing a col run on grounded, dont kill all enemies at the
hotel, try and leave one guy alive as that will stop that glitch spawning, problem is at the bookstore ellie has a conversation line she wont say until everyone is dead

chaosaeon

GAF, so far I'm amazed by the game...I'm about 2-3 hours in and the story, characters and graphics are top notch (even the gameplay...why are people saying the gameplay is subpar!?

Because it's harder to say graphics or acting/animation are bad but it's easy to go "yeah well my opinion is that it's not fun." It harder to refute, whether it's a legitimate feeling or just someone looking to take shots at something for whatever immature reason.

Yep that's where I gave up. Fuck that noise. Love the game to bits but it aint worth that much frustration for me personally. I wouldve been able to get through it if they didnt dick you over with the checkpoint. Having to do that entire interior fight on top of the battle outside was just too much.
That was one of two incredibly hard parts in the game for me. The other is the end of summer and "the nest." The winter part is difficult, but with enough practice, you can make it. The dam? It's hard stepping forward without getting shot immediately. The interior is easy, just be patient and you should be good to go. But the exterior? What a pain in the ass. Doable, but it really requires a ton of luck.

vpance

I'll never play grounded mode, I think it'd ruin the game for me. Hard felt the most natural, and fun with a good mix of freedom of tactics and challenge.

I'm going through survivor now and some fights have me confused if what just happened was a glitch in the AI or not. Threw a brick at an incoming clicker's head and he just shrugs it off and pounces on me. Something in the AI detection feels randomized. Trying to approach clickers from behind can be kind of hit and miss, so I guess you just have to avoid them mostly.

kubus

I'll never play grounded mode, I think it'd ruin the game for me. Hard felt the most natural, and fun with a good mix of freedom of tactics and challenge.

I'm going through survivor now and some fights have me confused if what just happened was a glitch in the AI or not. Threw a brick at an incoming clicker's head and he just shrugs it off and pounces on me. Something in the AI detection feels randomized. Trying to approach clickers from behind can be kind of hit and miss, so I guess you just have to avoid them mostly.
I've learned that if you throw a brick against an unsuspecting clicker, it will always stun him, but if the clicker is already actively searching for you (violently flailing his arms around) he can shrug off your brick and it will have no effect, although sometimes it will still work and stun him. Not sure how it is determined.

Sirenty

If you are where I think you are, what I do is stand under the ladder, turn 180 so I'm facing the turnstiles, and throw a bottle at the corner. When he (and one or two others) goes to investigate, I melt them all with the Molotov you get earlier. You don't waste a shiv that way. If any survive, wait for them to walk away.

Superflat

That was one of two incredibly hard parts in the game for me. The other is the end of summer and "the nest." The winter part is difficult, but with enough practice, you can make it. The dam? It's hard stepping forward without getting shot immediately. The interior is easy, just be patient and you should be good to go. But the exterior? What a pain in the ass. Doable, but it really requires a ton of luck.

In Grounded I had to do the molotov trick to progress by running all the way up to the door where the enemies spawn out of and toasting them all. I got past that part normally on Survivor though, through an elongated battle of attrition.

milkham

I'd like to suggest if any of you guys really liked this game to check out this guy's videos
analyzing the last of us. There are 5 in this playlist he seems to have forgotten to add the next 3 vides into the playlist and he's only up to 8 out of 15. its pretty interesting but kind of like a lecture. If the first video bores you, skip ahead to the thematic analysis that is videos 4-8

they're full of spoilers of course

Is it weird if I have only played multiplayer so far? Just not that interested in scripted gaming experiences, even though the 5 minutes I tried of single player definitely impressed me with its narrative/technical traits.

terrible

Banned

Definitely just avoid them if you can. Aim with a weapon, brick, or bottle while crouched (don't fire!) and you can sneak by them really easily. You pretty much have to touch them to alert them when you do that, even on grounded difficulty. You can just move at half speed manually to get the same effect but the thing I suggested removes all human error.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

You can clear the entire room with 2 bricks and the molotov you get right before entering the area

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwmULSXcXEs

I played it safe and stayed crouched the whole time.

Superflat

Is it weird if I have only played multiplayer so far? Just not that interested in scripted gaming experiences, even though the 5 minutes I tried of single player definitely impressed me with its narrative/technical traits.

Scripted sequences are front-loaded in the campaign and becomes much more interesting and open as you play more. I think the unique scenarios and level designs are worth a play-through if you are only interested in gameplay.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Only early parts of the game are heavily scripted. The game really shines later on with the intense and dynamic AI.

I'm at Fall, playing on Hard with Listen Mode turned off.

Having a lot of fun playing this for the 2nd time, as much as I loved it on PS3 the 60fps goes a LONG way!

murgo

Holy shit, I just managed to get through
the library in 3 minutes. It was actually pretty easy to do. Immediately go to the right and wait for the 3 guys inside to end their conversation. One dude's gonna go to the right, wait for him to go over to some empty bookcase right next to a door and then quickly grab and chocke him. Turn around carefully and you'll see a dude looking through the window. Wait till he turns around and choke him as well. Now you can easily go up the stairs that lead up to the cafe. You should have a clear way to the last guy standing in front of the exit. Choke the fucker and quickly leave.

I expected it to be harder to get through that on Grounded, but I'm extremely glad I managed without too much frustration.

Cubed

Is anyone else having a weird glitch when you start new game plus? I restarted and I don't have anywhere near the weapon upgrades and supplement upgrades that I had when I completed the first place. Also hit a wall where I can't collect any more toolboxes to upgrade my weapons, so I'm stuck only been able to upgrade to level 2.

Hubb

Is anyone else having a weird glitch when you start new game plus? I restarted and I don't have anywhere near the weapon upgrades and supplement upgrades that I had when I completed the first place. Also hit a wall where I can't collect any more toolboxes to upgrade my weapons, so I'm stuck only been able to upgrade to level 2.

Did you do a legit NG+ or the glitch to skip to Grounded+? If you aren't very far in, restarting might be your best bet. If you are far I'm not sure if there is much you can do.

terrible

Banned

My weapon upgrades and supplements didn't carry over properly but I did the NG+ "glitch" with grounded mode so that might have caused that, I'm not sure. I had no issues with toolboxes though.

Cubed

Huh... I didn't do the glitch. Guess I'll see what happens when I replay a third time.

Probably played this game 9 or 10 times, so doing another new game plus for a third run through on this difficulty won't bother me at all!

Hubb

My weapon upgrades and supplements didn't carry over properly but I did the NG+ "glitch" with grounded mode so that might have caused that, I'm not sure. I had no issues with toolboxes though.

It should have worked (worked for me and others have said the same), some people had to restart a time or two to get everything to stick. I don't know what the issue is, but everything should have carried over.

terrible

Banned
It should have worked (worked for me and others have said the same), some people had to restart a time or two to get everything to stick. I don't know what the issue is, but everything should have carried over.

I got the achievement for grounded+ so I don't mind really, though I did have to do a complete playthrough on easy to get the fully upgraded trophy because of that. It's hard to complain about having to play the game three times in a row lol.

Hubb

I got the achievement for grounded+ so I don't mind really, though I did have to do a complete playthrough on easy to get the fully upgraded trophy because of that. It's hard to complain about having to play the game three times in a row lol.

Yeah, I'm thinking even though everything did carry over for me I'll still need to do a 3rd playthrough. But, The 3rd playthrough was going to happen either way.

Top Bottom